Author Topic: Sleeping With Open Windows  (Read 621 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Sleeping With Open Windows
« on: February 03, 2021, 02:38:26 PM »
In order to have good health one of the first considerations we ought understand, is our need of fresh air. It is one of the important components of good blood. If we want to make changes in our lifestyle we need to have good blood and that good blood needs to have good circulation that every cell in our body might receive the needed things carried in that good blood and that the waste products be carried away.

If we live indoors which most all of us do, then how do we get fresh air, especially in winter when we work so hard to keep our homes warm. We may have all the free wood we want, but someone has to cut and split it and the fire must be kept burning. So, to open the window and allow the warm air which we worked so hard for to escape is a real temptation to keep the window closed. But, then the carbon dioxide which we expel with every breath is building up in the room and the oxygen we need is being depleted, not to mention the off-gassing of materials in the home, and the potential bacteria and virus that carry disease. Some may say that they have so many cracks in their home they need not worry, and that may be so. But, that means our utility bill is much higher than it ought to be or we have to cut more wood than is necessary. So, we seal the cracks and keep the cold air out and the warm stagnant air in. What is the solution?

For many years I have been pondering what to do. What can i build to keep the warmth in and at the same time have fresh air. It is not a question that we need to have fresh air even at the expense of opening windows an allowing the warm air to escape. In the winter when we have warm days, we open all the doors and windows when the air is much warmer than at night. But, not all days are warm and in some climates the temperature never gets above freezing. Now, some in these climates discovered long ago what to do. i did not discover until recently how to construct what I have been so long wanting to know. Thanks to youtube, I found out how to make an air to air heat exchanger. The common name for such an invention is heart recovery ventilator. Of course it would also function as a cooler in the summer, at least saving some of the cool air when allowing hot air into the house.

As the price or energy goes up and homes are being tightened up, it is even more crucial that we have these heat exchange devices in our homes. Thus, for those who have come to realize that is happening, and for those who have not yet realized the need, I am posting what I have found and will continue to share as I move forward in either buying some or making them.

The time is soon to come when we shall be able to buy or sell. At that time we shall be happy to have a source of clean air and not have to sacrifice so much warm air to obtain it (cutting less wood).

First the construction video I have found to be most helpful.

A video showing the commercial unit which operates on the same system.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Maybe you already have such a device in your home?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Sleeping With Open Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 03:11:07 AM »
Sounds efficient, but complicated, especially for someone like me who isn't very handy at building things.  I have a simpler solution, but one which won't appeal to many, I'm sure.  My basement door has about a half inch gap under it, and chimneys draw air.  So a constant flow of air comes through under the door.  I pile some towels against it, which keeps it from feeling like a cold wind blowing on my feet when I'm down there.  The basement is not heated most of the year (and only at a minimum temperature in the winter), and heat rises; so the rest of the house,  while gaining fresh air, does not gain cold air.

Of course, mice get in occasionally, but that seems to be the case, no matter how tight a house is.

And we always sleep with  our bedroom window open, summer and winter; and, of  course, we keep the bedroom door closed so that we don't cool down the entire house.  Now, in the winter, if it's near 0°, it's only open a crack, but that's enough to bring in fresh air.

Maybe that sounds crazy, but it works for us.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Dorine

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »
We have a commercial air/heat exchanger that is constantly bringing in fresh air to the whole house. I would be very concerned otherwise because I do not open my windows from late fall to late spring. What you found is very interesting Richard. If you ever decide to make one let us know.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
I can relate Wally. Years ago when we had an air tight wood stove we welcomed the cracks around windows and doors to help keep the temp. comfortable. I miss those days except for the mess of ashes and wood debris and at our age hauling wood and chopping it is more than what we can handle. I also cooked with a wood stove. There's nothing like home made bread baked in a wood cook stove oven. And the heat that comes from a wood stove is far more penetrating than any other source of heat. Sorry I'm off topic aren't I. Fresh air! it is so important for our health as Richard pointed out all the things it does for us. One thing we should be doing if we do not get adequate fresh air in our homes is to get outside as much as possible, breath in deeply of the oxygen our bodies need. Now if you live in the city that might be a challenge.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14