Author Topic: Beans in the Morning?  (Read 1394 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Beans in the Morning?
« on: February 04, 2019, 01:48:04 PM »
Ok, admittedly I've been more of a oatmeal kind of guy for breakfast but after talking to some people recently and watching a documentary on bean I'm thinking about trying to switch. However, I've never been a bean person. I like green beans but northern beans, kidney beans, pinto, lima beans are something I really don't care for. However, I don't mind black beans. I'm wondering is there anyone else here that eats beans in the morning and do you just eat them plain?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Marelis

Re: Beans in the Morning?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
Beans in the morning? Sometimes. They go nicely with cooked tomatoes or mashed pumpkin. Are you avoiding bread as well? Plain beans with brown rice is lovely, too. 
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »
I'm wondering is there anyone else here that eats beans in the morning and do you just eat them plain?

Not beans, per se, but I do eat my veggies for breakfast, and fruits, nuts, and grains for lunch.  But that's because I have time to cook in the morning, and don't want to take the time at work.  I'm not a big bean eater, but if I was, I'd have them for breakfast.  My favorites are black-eyed peas and lentils, with garbanzos coming it third.  And, yes, I like them plain, with a little salt and sometimes garlic.

But on Sabbath, I do like oatmeal or some other cereal for breakfast, since the noon meal is always veggies.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
And, yes, I like them plain, with a little salt and sometimes garlic.

Wally my friend, you've done it. Not sure why I couldn't think of that earlier. GARLIC and maybe onions. Now, thats something I could add to beans tat would make them palatable. Great idea, and so simple.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »
Jim, when I started making breakfast my largest meal, I began eating dinner meals in the morning and as does Wally eating fruits in the afternoon. I especially do this in the summer when I don't want to cook in the afternoon.

There is a meal that most consider to be the favorite of Seventh-day Adventists. I had never ean it prior to becoming a church member. Something close to it, but not just like it.  Haystacks. I don't know about the rest of the world, but where I am, it is a favorite.   Pinto beans, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, onion, olives, covered with a vegan cheese sauce and corn chips.

Not long ago, it hit me that when I am traveling and need to depend upon restaurant food, I will stop at Taco Bell and get a tostado. What is it? It is a modified haystack on a corn tortilla!  :)    I love pinto beans cooked with salt and onion. My favorite bean which I never had until I joined the church, is the garbanzo.  The liquid part of the cooked bean is one of my favorite flavors.

Working with diabetics I recommend they make beans a stable in their diet. It helps to stab stabilize their blood sugar and will help the diabetic to not eat in between meals if eaten in the morning. Beans are good food to eat when fresh food is not readily available. They can be stored over time. Legumes generally have protein and ought to be eaten in moderation. Soy beans are eaten by many who are strict vegetarians. Soy protein is used in many prepared foods including milk and tofu. 

I have posted somewhere in this forum a pyramid that helps those wanting better health. It lists the food groups by quantity which is best to eat. Legumes are listed below the top which is nuts and seeds which ought to be eaten in moderation also.

Here it is.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.