Author Topic: Spring 2019  (Read 9235 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Spring 2019
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:08:32 AM »
It's definitely not spring out there. This morning it's about -14o with wind chills running about -36o F.  However, the days are getting longer and I can actually see the sun today. In a few I'm going to go make sure my car will start and warm it up. It's been a very long while since I've seen temps this low. Hmmm... about 25 years I guess.

However, I'm guessing my friend Wally here this is like talking a stroll in park and whistling to the birds.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Spring 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »
My coldest reading so far this winter was yesterday, with -5°.  Last winter I saw -15°.  I've been here almost 33 years, and have only seen it go below -20° a few times.  But I'm on a hill.  At the bottom of the  hill, it is often 10-15° colder than up here.  Once I had -15° and it was -30° at the bottom.  It was -35° when I got to the next town.  I had a Geo then (3 cylinder engine) and couldn't get it up to 60 mph.  The grease in the wheel bearings was too stiff.  I needed to hit at least 60 for the heater to get very warm when it was below 0°.  Can't say that I miss that car--except for the mileage.

We're not supposed to get the full force of the so-called "polar vortex," so it's only going to be around 0° or a bit lower, with a bit of wind, but nothing like what you've had.  Sorry that global warming hasn't reached your neck of the woods yet.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »
We have been enjoying afternoons in the mid 60s.  :)  Daffodils are blooming! Spring is here?

No, it is going to freeze Monday might! I mean really freeze!! 32 degrees!!    :)

I keep trying to get you folks way up north some warmer winters. They say burning fossil fuels will help, but as hard as I try, it just seems to get colder for you cold weather folks.  :(

Satan is at work and he can do nothing save God allow it. So, it all works together for our good! Have a blessed Sabbath (indoors) my dear friends.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 03:36:39 AM »
Daffodils.  We won't see those until late April or early  May, depending on how Spring progresses.

Today the foolishness of Marmot Day will take place in various places.  As if a marmot would be foolish enough to poke its head out of its winter den so early in the season.  It may be called "Groundhog Day," but in Spanish it's "Dia de la Marmota."  A Woodchuck is, after all, just another species of marmot.

And in this part of the country, winter will be around for more than another 6 weeks.  0° this morning--just for the record.

By the way, no Woodchuck will see it's shadow today in Maine. They're all safely tucked into their winter burrows.  Maybe they're smarter than the ones in Pennsylvania.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
Well, the almonds bloomed yesterday. That may not be too good for the almond growers. I've only got three trees, so it won't be much of a problem for me. But we have thousands of acres of almonds in the valley. Expecting a freeze tomorrow night and the next night so I covered my citrus. Just a little different Wally, than your 0°.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 04:48:12 PM »
That seems early for almonds, like maybe a month?  I don't remember ever seeing them bloom that early when I lived in Kalif.  I remember the Acacias started blooming  about the middle of February.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
I don't know much about almonds and things blooming in the beginning of February but apparently we have 1/4inch of ice on it's way for us wednesday morning. :(   Some places are saying 1/3inch. If that happens there will be power outages making life interesting. All I know is that the days are getting longer :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Marelis

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »
Been up around 116 deg in my neck of the woods.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 06:06:34 PM »
Been up around 116 deg in my neck of the woods.

That's not spring either!  :)

thx4mercy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
Where on this earth is it 116 in February?

colporteur

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »

Celsius ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Dorine

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 01:45:56 PM »
116 Celsius is over 200 degrees F.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »

Australia.

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 07:07:57 PM »
Fruit trees are in bloom, new leaves appearing on the trees, wild flowers in bloom, temps in the 80's, AC running in house and vehicle...Next day a Blue Norther came through, now temps in low 30's, heaters going. Only in Texas!!
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »
Well....we have done it!  How interesting to have a family who experience such things at the same time!   116 must be in Northern Australia? Down under down south it is is more moderate. On the other hand, 116 could be in Asia or Africa or Central America.   :)

Wally, this is early for Almonds. We now have freezing temps. Kind of like Cop in Texas, but not as bad.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »
We really haven't had a real winter until the last 3 weeks or so. I can't complain too much. Even the Canadian Geese and Swans have stayed this winter. I dont' know where they are finding open water recently but I guess they are surviving. I suspect if they can last another 2 or 3 weeks they saved themselves some time from normal migration headhaches!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
Have you ever seen this before, Jim. Sounds rather strange. No doubt that the weather has changed, like it always has. On the other hand, Satan is at work to destroy. His work will be blamed on God and the desecration of the sun day.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »
This is the first time that I have seem to see large numbers. It seems that I saw some last winter but can't say for sure. Often times this winter while driving I have seen large flocks flying in the air. Then about two weeks ago I saw 3 swans flying. I said to myself. Even they have tried to stay this winter. I know that some birds that we think of as migrators (Robins) will stick around if there is enough food. But this seems rather unusual to me. That or I just haven't noticed this in the past.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
Because I live in a more moderate climate and am in a large flyway, I see Canadian Geese going south at the beginning of winter and going north at the beginning of spring. Is it possible that what you see are birds that are returning early? Because we have had an early false spring, some birds may have started going north a little too soon, as the almonds bloomed a little too soon. I have noticed Canadian Geese in the San Francisco Bay Area much of the winter. Not sure if they never left or they are headed one way or the other.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
It's possible the swans are early but don't that it's true about the geese. As a matter of fact on my way to church I drive by a local park that normally has a very large population of geese. And I remember passing this park up in november/december and wondering if they were ever going to leave. Then one day they were gone and I figured they had finally gotten tired of the cold but then a couple of weeks later they showed back up. However, your questions has got me second guessing myself a little bit. I'm going to ask some others what they have observed this year.