Author Topic: Young hikers take gospel to Solomon Islands’ jungles  (Read 3263 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Young hikers take gospel to Solomon Islands’ jungles
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:33:36 AM »
I have always dreamed and wondered if I could merge my love for hiking/backpacking into some kind of ministry. But these young men have beat me to it.  It makes my heart glad to see these guys spending their youthful energy in such a way.

Full Article

The young people — belonging to Ambassadors, the stage after Pathfinders Master Guide and for ages 16 to 21 — met a single mother living with her children in a hovel. Touched by her plight, they handed over their food and spare clothes.

After the encounter, the group decided to hike to remote places regularly to deliver food, medicine, second-hand clothes, and Bibles. Led by Spink Mahuta, youth leader at White River Seventh-day Adventist Church in Honiara, they began to engage in what they called “Jungle Ministry” every free weekend.

Early Friday morning, the young people board public transportation — the back of a three-ton truck — and travel to the end of the route. Then they hike with their gear until evening and spend the night sleeping in the open jungle. On Sabbath, they hike the rest of the way to a remote village and send a local scout to ask the chief or head elder for permission to enter. With his permission, they enter, split into teams, and distribute care packages.

The young people spend the Sabbath with the villagers, finding out what they need, praying with them, and studying the Bible. They sleep in the jungle on Saturday night.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}