Author Topic: Employment Numbers  (Read 27274 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Employment Numbers
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:24:32 AM »
The unemployment rate fell two-tenths of a percentage point to 3.7 percent, the lowest level since December 1969 and one-tenth of a percentage point below expectations. Source

When I see news articles like these and on consumer confidence all I can think of is the verse about them crying peace & safety and sudden destruction. I can't see the future and I don't want be chicken little saying the sky is falling but I also know both sides and how they play the numbers to suit themselves and times we are living in.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Employment Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »
Remember the old saying:  there are 3 kinds of lies; little white lies, bald faced lies, and statistics.  I often question some of these government statistics because it's too easy to manipulate them to get the desired results.  If you've ever been questioned by a pollster then you know that the questions are often worded in such a way that it's impossible to give a yes or no answer and be truthful.  Sometimes one needs an option that says "it depends . . . ."
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 03:21:41 AM »
The unemployment rate fell two-tenths of a percentage point to 3.7 percent, the lowest level since December 1969 and one-tenth of a percentage point below expectations. Source

When I see news articles like these and on consumer confidence all I can think of is the verse about them crying peace & safety and sudden destruction. I can't see the future and I don't want be chicken little saying the sky is falling but I also know both sides and how they play the numbers to suit themselves and times we are living in.

One possibility here is that the economic boom is genuine, and is a mechanism being used by the Lord to forestall financial calamity until people are ready for end-time events.

The Bible speaks of holding back the time of trouble until people are sealed (Revelation 7:1-4), and the Lord always has human agents and mechanisms at His disposal for this purpose.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
Amen, Brother Glen. God is in control. Darkness is coming....soon. We have been given a little time to do what we can before it become very difficult. I believe the economy is doing much better. The numbers are not what they used to be. So, it is hard to believe we can compare statistics of today with the numbers from 1969.

What Jim has pointed out is good. Just because things are good now, we are on the edge of disaster, including economic disaster. All one has to do is ask what is going to happen when inflation heats up and interest rates go higher. The interest paid on the national debt in America is unbelievable at today's rate. Imagine what happens when the rate doubles or triples!

Couple that with the disasters that require huge amounts of money. These will continue to increase. Insurance companies will suffer bankruptcy. The government cannot pay for all that will need to be done. Right now the East Coast is preparing for Michael. We have not yet experienced hundreds of thousands dying in these disasters. But, the time is soon coming. And as Jim has said, all will think things are all peace and safety.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.