Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--2nd Quarter 2018--Matthew 24 and 25  (Read 4453 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 7 May 12-18

Matthew 24 and 25

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--2nd Quarter 2018--Matthew 24 and 25
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:55:04 AM »
Tuesday •  May 15

The “Abomination of Desolation”

The foolish virgins were startled, unprepared. Why? One version says “our lamps are gone out” (Matt. 25:8 ) . Other versions, true to the Greek original, say the lamps are “going out.” There was still a flickering flame. They still had a little oil, but not enough to be prepared to meet Christ.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:59:01 AM »
Tuesday •  May 15

The foolish virgins were startled, unprepared. Why? One version says “our lamps are gone out” (Matt. 25:8 ) . Other versions, true to the Greek original, say the lamps are “going out.” There was still a flickering flame. They still had a little oil, but not enough to be prepared to meet Christ.

A nice slam on the KJV. When you go to Christ's Object Lesson the verse is ( apparently) quoted according to the new translations. After the verse in COL it says "margin" but I have not found anywhere where they state what "margin" means. I'm assuming that this is a minimal admittance to a change. If I am not mistaken every time Mrs. White quoted Matt. 25:8 she quoted it in the KJV. It appears that she never quoted this verse other than in the KJV. In Reflecting Christ they quote the verse according to the modern translation and refer to COL p. 4-5-6. However since they are quoting their misquote they do not tell anyone. Am I inaccurate here or is this dishonest ? Colportuer

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »
What pages in COL are you pointing us to, cp.  It looks like you want us to go to COL pgs 4-6?  I am not home and do not have my COL. But, on the disk there are no pages 4-6.  The Preface begins on pg 7.   Can you help us here?

As for quoting from Reflecting Christ, we do have a problem. This is a "modern" book. I suggest that all tick every book when searching the EGW Disk except for "Modern English"and those books such as Reflecting Christ that have taken the liberty to quote from "bibles" that Ellen White did not quote from.  Reflecting Christ is a compilation published in 1985. You are right, cp, we have a problem. They took liberties not given them when they published that book. We must now find out which other books are of a similar nature. We will begin a topic on this in Laodicea.

Not all quoting is other than what Ellen White quoted from, but the book begins with Jan 1 quoting from the NIV. They are not quoting Ellen White, but they use the NIV text in the header before quoting the Spirit of Prophecy. It is misleading.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »
  Sorry, typo as I was hurried- page 406  " In distress they appeal to their wiser companions saying, " Give us your oil; for our lamps are going out." ( Margin.)  What does "Margin" mean ? It appears that they are taking liberty here in COL and not quoting Mrs. White but " Other versions true to the original Greek"  as stated in  Wed.   Lesson quarterly p. 60 middle of the page. If what I think is happening here is correct, while it may not be salvational is an arrogant attempt to correct  what they view as the prophet's shortcomings. This constant implication that EGW was not quite up to speed is nauseating.  Bachiocchi used to claim that in so many words and said if she were here today she would have appreciated his corrections. He took exception with some of the GC as related  to me personally via emails.

While addressing this is apt to detour away from the lesson, the thrust in  favor of the new translations and against the KJV is becoming more open and in my opinion ought to be addressed. The KJV says " for our lamps are gone out." New translations say " are going out" or are flickering. While this may not be critical the liberty that has been taken breeches trust regarding publishers and editors. I'm not sure and want to see how the RV renders the verse. I doubt very much that she quoted it two different ways at different times.

thx4mercy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
The Geneva Bible says "our lamps are out."

I honestly don't know, but are you saying, CP, that the KJV always has the best Greek translation, 100% of the time?

I've heard well-known speakers who use the KJV say on occasion that some particular verse wasn't the best translation.

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
The Geneva Bible says "our lamps are out."

I honestly don't know, but are you saying, CP, that the KJV always has the best Greek translation, 100% of the time?

I've heard well-known speakers who use the KJV say on occasion that some particular verse wasn't the best translation.

I am saying that there is no comparison between the KJV and for instance the ever popular NIV. In the lesson quarterly it is being stated that the KJV is inferior.  This is a conflict between manuscripts that have been altered by the Vatican and manuscripts used for the Bibles the Waldensiuns used. You will never see in our quarterly a comparison between Bibles where it says the new translations are lacking.

I'm not through studying out what happened here in COL but it appears that they took what Mrs. White quoted in COL p. 406 ( Matt. 25:8) and changed it to a verse quoted from a modern translation. If this is correct it is both arrogant and dishonest. There was not one word of the writings of Ellen White that were to be altered without her approval. That means even when she quoted Scripture. The Estate writing new material that is taking her writings and making them gender neutral is a violation of that principle. If indeed, as it appears, they has also taken her writings where she quoted the KJV and changed them to some other translation this is a huge problem.

As I stated earlier I see nothing in Christ's Object Lesson that defines what the word " Margin" means. Either Mrs. White was quoting differently Matt. 25:8 from two different translations or else the Estate changed her writings to suit their bias toward the modern translations. I am curious to know what other translations that Mrs. White quoted from other than the RV and how those translations render Matt. 25:8. If the Estate did not change her writings and she quote the same verse in two different renderings that is one thing, but it is my guess that she did not do that. More than even the content of the variations in the translations regarding Matt.25:8 is the integrity of the publishers in altering what she said. I believe we can get to the bottom of this. Which are the most accurate manuscripts is another subject howbeit closely related to this one. The subject at hand, in my mind is not which manuscripts are more accurate. I have already settled that in my mind. The issue is, are uninspired men doing with Mrs. White's writings what they have not authority to do ? The answer is clearly , "yes." The follow up question is, "to what extent have they done this and even without telling us?" It appears that this is exactly what they have done in "Reflecting Christ" p.209 par. 4 line 4-5. While they quote COL. p. 406, line 13, they are not stating in Reflecting Christ that they are quoting a misquote where they have changed the text. The big question is, "did they change the quote in COL"?

colporteur

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 05:32:39 AM »

Another dumbing down of this parable in our lesson quarterly is that they never express when this parable is covered in our lessons that the coming of the bridegroom in the parable is not the second coming of Christ. Mrs. White states that this coming is the Lord coming in judgment beginning in 1844. When I first joined the church this puzzled me. I wondered, how could the 5 wise virgins go through the NSL period, the appearance of Satan as Christ, and realize the 7 last plagues and still be asleep, to the nearness of Christ's coming ? The reason they are asleep is because when the Lord comes in judgment and our names come up before Him we know it not whether we be foolish or whether we be wise. In this sense we are asleep to that event.

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »
I'm surprised that Ed is not all over this. :-)

I have contacted the EGW estate and spoke with someone who said they would answer my questions by email. I asked what "margin" meant in COL. p. 406 and if it meant that the quoted verse was not spoken at all by EGW and interjected into the paragraph by publishing or if she wrote it in the KJV form and the verse was changed to follow another translation ? Off the top of his head the person at the estates that answers these questions does not know but will get back to me.

colporteur

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 06:47:09 AM »
According to the EGW Estates " Margin" means that it was in the margin of some of the KJV Bibles that EGW was using and that either she or her copyists quoted the margin.

I looked in the 1611 KJV and in the margin for Matt. 25:8 it does says " or, going out."
so the Estate is correct in that it is in the margin of some KJV Bibles from back then. The million dollar question that I doubt we will ever know is, did EGW or her helpers truly quote the "margin" or did someone else do that ?

I'm not slow to believe or witch hunting but am a lot more cautious desiring to" prove all things" in light of some of what I have seen and heard.

When I first joined the church I took everything that our presses printed at face value. I quickly learned that I could not do that.

colporteur

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 06:39:21 AM »

In Wednesday's Lesson nothing is said about the Judgement. One sentence says at the beginning of the second to the last paragraph reads " These virgins represent Christians who are waiting for Christ to return..." 

This is misleading because it is a very incomplete statement  lacking specifics. The coming of the Bridegroom in the parable does not represent the visible coming of Jesus  to earth to take His people to heaven. It represents Jesus coming to His people in 1844 and after. Many in the church would just as soon skip the topic of the Judgment because it involves complete victory over sin.

To believe that the coming of the Bridegroom is Christ's visible coming to earth to take His people home ( in the context of the parable of the 10 virgins) is to make the same mistake that the Millerites made. It is to miss the understanding of the Judgment.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 06:22:53 AM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Matt. 24:1-25, Rev. 13:11-17, Matt. 7:24-27 , Luke 21:20, Matt. 25:1-30.

Memory Text: “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.” Matthew 24:24

In Matthew 24 and 25, Jesus reveals important truths about end times and about how to be prepared. In a sense, these chapters were Christ’s teaching on last-day events. At the same time, looking to the more immediate future, He sees the impending destruction of Jerusalem, a tragedy of catastrophic proportions for His people.

But in Christ’s words to His disciples, He speaks also to His followers in the generations that will follow, including and especially the last one, the one that will be alive when He does return. Jesus doesn’t paint a pretty picture either. Wars, rumors of wars, pestilence, false Christs, and persecution — this will be the lot of the world, and the lot of His church. Amazingly enough, looking back through time, we can see just how accurate His predictions were. Therefore, we can trust Him for the predictions not yet fulfilled in our lifetime.

But Jesus didn’t just warn about what was coming. In Matthew 25 He told parables that, if heeded, will prepare His people for when the “Son of Man” returns. Yes, hard times will come, but He will prepare a people to meet Him when He does come back.

Amen!  And, this is why it is not good to ignore the truth of what it means to be truly converted. Jesus tells us that we live in the anti-typical Day of Atonement when He is preparing His church stand through a time of trouble such as never was without a Mediator. Can someone tell us what it means to not have a Mediator, and how it is that we can come to such a point?

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, May 19.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 06:27:20 AM »
Sunday •  May 13

A Powerful Confirmation of Prophecy

In the final days before the Cross, the disciples spoke with Jesus on the Mount of Olives. Imagine hearing Jesus say that the temple will be destroyed. Who knows exactly what went on in their minds, but the questions that they asked afterward indicate that they linked the destruction of the temple with “the end of the world” (Matt. 24:3).

Read Matthew 24:1-25.

24:1   And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to [him] for to show him the buildings of the temple. 
 24:2   And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 
 24:3   And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? 
 24:4   And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 
 24:5   For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 
 24:6   And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 
 24:7   For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 
 24:8   All these [are] the beginning of sorrows. 
 24:9   Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 
 24:10   And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 
 24:11   And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 
 24:12   And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 
 24:13   But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 
 24:14   And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. 
 24:15   When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 
 24:16   Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 
 24:17   Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 
 24:18   Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 
 24:19   And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 
 24:20   But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 
 24:21   For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 
 24:22   And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 
 24:23   Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here [is] Christ, or there; believe [it] not. 
 24:24   For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 
 24:25   Behold, I have told you before.     

What overall message did Jesus give to His followers about the last days?

Matthew 24:1-25 makes it clear that, among other things, Christ is concerned with deceptions that will confuse His people through the ages and into the end time. Among those deceptions will be false prophets and false Christs. Some will come claiming to represent Christ (false prophets), and some will come claiming to be Christ. And the terrible thing is, people will believe them, too.

We have seen a sad but powerful confirmation of the Word of God. All through history, and even in our day, deceivers have indeed come, saying, “I am the Christ.” What a remarkable prophecy! Living in the time that we do, we can survey the long centuries of history and see (in ways those who lived in Christ’s time couldn’t) just how accurate that prediction was. We shouldn’t be surprised, either, if deceptions like these only increase as we near the final crisis.

Also, in the context of affirmation of faith, look at how Jesus depicted the state of the world. At various times in earth’s history since Christ, people had placed their hope in things they believed would eliminate or at least greatly reduce the sufferings and woe of humanity. Be it political movements or technology or science or reason — at one time or another people have placed great hope that these things would usher in a utopia here on earth. As the painful witness of history has shown again and again, these hopes have always proven ill-founded. The world today is just as Jesus said it would be. Christ’s words, spoken almost two thousand years ago, show just how misguided those hopes really have been.

Read Matthew 24:25.

Behold, I have told you before.     

What can we take away from this that should help affirm us in our faith?

It would be very sad to not repeat the Words of Jesus, not just to the world, but to His church. Has He spoken to His last day church Words of warning about deceptions? Listen to Him speak to the Seventh-day Adventist Church today:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 

It would not be love for the erring to leave this unsaid.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 06:34:17 AM »
Monday •  May 14

Enduring to the End

Read Matthew 24:9 and Revelation 13:11-17.

24:9   Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 

13:11   And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. 
 13:12   And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. 
 13:13   And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, 
 13:14   And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by [the means of] those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. 
 13:15   And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. 
 13:16   And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 
 13:17   And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.       

What parallels exist between what Jesus said here in Matthew and what He inspired John to write about in Revelation?

Christ’s concern for His people in the end time includes a global deception that causes nations to oppose the true faith and to impose a false worship on the world. Those who stand firm will face hatred, tribulation, and even death.

Read Matthew 24:13.

But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.       

What is the key to being saved, to being faithful, even amid worldwide opposition?

“None but those who have fortified the mind with the truths of the Bible will stand through the last great conflict.” — Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 593.
This statement means that all who fortify their minds with biblical truths will not be swept away in any of the end-time deceptions. They have to be grounded in what truth is for this time; otherwise, the deceptions will overwhelm them.

Amen! But, not only must they know the truth, they must have an experience living the truth. Jesus is preparing a people who have developed character that they by having run with the footmen, will be able to run with the chariots.

Read Matthew 7:24-27.

7:24   Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 
 7:25   And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 
 7:26   And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 
 7:27   And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.       

Amen! Doing means being obedient to all that ones understands.

What else is crucial for staying faithful to God?

As important as it is to be grounded intellectually in the Word of God, according to Jesus that is still not enough to be able to stand amid the trials that we will face. We have to do what we have learned; that is, we have to obey the truth as it is in Jesus. In the parable above, both builders heard the sayings of Jesus. The difference between them, between enduring and not enduring, was obeying what Jesus had taught.

Why does the one who obeys stand and the one who doesn’t obey fall? What difference does obedience make in keeping a person steady in the faith?

Character is formed by our habits. Habits are formed by repeated actions. We are either going up or going down. Soon the day will come when Jesus walks out of the heavenly sanctuary. Then, there will be no more forgiveness of sins. If one has not been obedient in the little things of life, he will not be obedient unto death. Many have been deceived about the need to quit sinning. There are false teachers in God's church today who teach that one may sin a known sin and retain salvation.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 06:40:13 AM »
Tuesday •  May 15

In His great discourse on the end time, Christ points to “the abomination of desolation” (Matt. 24:15), an image from the book of Daniel (Dan. 9:27, 11:31, 12:11) .

God declared something an “abomination” when it was a serious violation of His law, such as idolatry (Deut. 27:15) or immoral sexual practices (Lev. 18:22). Hence, this “abomination of desolation” involved some sort of religious apostasy.

Read Matthew 24:15 and Luke 21:20.

24:15   When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 

21:20   And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 

How do these texts help us better understand what Jesus was talking about in regard to the “abomination of desolation”?

These two texts make it clear that Jesus’ prediction includes, in a more immediate sense, the terrible destruction that would come upon Jerusalem in A.D. 70, when pagan Rome would destroy not only the city but the sacred temple, as well.

However, there is a second fulfillment of this prophecy in which the more immediate events, such as the destruction of Jerusalem, stood as a type of future, end-time events. “Christ saw in Jerusalem a symbol of the world hardened in unbelief and rebellion, and hastening on to meet the retributive judgments of God.” — Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 22.

In Daniel 12:11 and Daniel 11:31, the “abomination of desolation” appears in connection with the latter phase of Rome, the papal phase, in which an alternative system of mediation and salvation has been set up, one which seeks to usurp what Christ had done for us and is doing for us now in the heavenly sanctuary.

Daniel 8, particularly verses 9-12, helps place these events in their historical context, with a two-phased Roman power. The first phase, seen in the little horn’s rapid horizontal expansion (Dan. 8:9), shows the vast empire of pagan Rome. In the second phase (Dan. 8:10-12) the little horn grows vertically, casting down some of the stars (persecuting God’s people) and magnifying itself to the “prince of the host” (Dan. 8: 11), Jesus. This represents the papal phase, which arose out of the collapse of the pagan Roman Empire, but still remains Rome. (That’s why one symbol, the little horn, represents both phases of the same power.) The judgment in Daniel 7:9, 10, the cleansing of the sanctuary in Daniel 8:14, and the signs in the heavens of Matthew 24:29 all signal God’s intervention for His people in the last days.

Amen, but what is the "abomination of desolation" that warns us in our day that the secondary fulfillment is immediate? We have been told, why not tell it to the church so that we can tell it to the world?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 07:01:44 AM »

Wednesday •  May 16

The Ten Virgins

After His discourse in Matthew 24 about the signs of His coming, in Matthew 25 Jesus talks about how to be prepared for it.

Read Matthew 25:1-13, the parable of the Ten Virgins.

25:1   Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 
 25:2   And five of them were wise, and five [were] foolish. 
 25:3   They that [were] foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 
 25:4   But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 
 25:5   While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 
 25:6   And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 
 25:7   Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 
 25:8   And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 
 25:9   But the wise answered, saying, [Not so]; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 
 25:10   And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 
 25:11   Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 
 25:12   But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 
 25:13   Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh. 

What is Jesus saying here that should help us understand how we can be prepared for His return?

We need to rightly divide the Word. What does the Bible reveal about the symbols being used in the parable?

Jesus starts this phase of His discourse by talking about ten virgins. To be called “virgins” suggested they represented those who professed to be Christians. They were not on Satan’s side of the controversy. They are likened to the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 25:1) . But in the end time, they all slept (Matt. 25:5) . Christ had already warned about keeping watch (Matt. 24:42) , or staying awake so they would not be unready when He returns.

The church sleeps today. The Words of Jesus to the Laodicean Church is hardly mentioned from the pulpit or printed on our presses. And, when it is, it often perverted to keep the sinners from realizing he is in a lost state.

All ten virgins had lamps, and all went out to meet the bridegroom, which means that they were all looking forward to His coming. There was a delay, and all of these believers in His coming fell asleep. Suddenly, in the dead of night, they all were awakened: the bridegroom was coming (Matt. 25:1-6) .

Can we have a "little bit" of Jesus, or is it all or nothing? Can we be partially converted, or must we be fully surrendered in order to have salvation? What does the "oil" represent? We must be faithful to rightly interpret what is being said, or we shall remain in a Laodicean condition as a people. If we think we can have life when we are not filled with the Holy Spirit, we are sadly deceived.

What, then, is the problem?

These virgins represent Christians who are waiting for Christ to return but who have a superficial experience with Him. They have some oil, some working of the Spirit in their lives, but it is merely flickering; they were satisfied with little when they needed much.

“The Spirit works upon man’s heart, according to his desire and consent implanting in him a new nature; but the class represented by the foolish virgins have been content with a superficial work. They do not know God. They have not studied His character; they have not held communion with Him; therefore they do not know how to trust, how to look and live. Their service to God degenerates into a form.” — Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons , p. 411.

The Spirit working on the heart is very different from being in the heart. A new nature is implanted when we make a full surrender to the working of the Spirit on the heart. It is all or nothing in the end. Until the heart is fully surrendered, Jesus is knocking at the door wanting in. Where is the Spirit in your life, at the door or in the heart? Where is the Spirit in the foolish virgin's hearts?

What are ways we can look at ourselves and make sure we aren’t making the same mistakes as these people did? If we see ourselves in this role, how can we change?

What is required to have salvation? What is the "wedding garment" we must have on? Do we really have to love Jesus with all of the heart in order to be saved? How do we know if we love Jesus with the whole heart? What does sin say about our love for Jesus? Are little sins important? Or is it just the murderer and homosexual that will not enter heaven?

And, when Jesus speaks to the Laodicean as He did to Nicodemus in the Garden, what must he do in order to be saved? The answer is revealed in the quote in today's lesson. “The Spirit works upon man’s heart, according to his desire and consent implanting in him a new nature; but the class represented by the foolish virgins have been content with a superficial work. They do not know God. They have not studied His character; they have not held communion with Him; therefore they do not know how to trust, how to look and live. Their service to God degenerates into a form.”
It was also revealed to Nicodemus. What must the Laodicean do in order to obtain salvation? How is it that we are saved? It is by grace we are saved. Then how can we obtain this grace? It is by beholding Jesus uplifted on the cross that we are converted from sinner to saint. Grace surrounds us as thick as the air we breathe, but it does no good if we do not allow it into the heart. We must see that grace, we must drink His blood and eat His flesh in order for grace to transform the life. Man does not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Why? Because the Word reveals Christ. "The Word was made flesh."

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross.

As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ’s, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be “changed into the same image from glory to glory.” 2 Corinthians 3:18.  DA 83.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 07:13:48 AM »

Thursday •  May 17

Using Your Talents

Read Matthew 25:13-30.

What role does using our gifts have in preparing us for the return of Christ?

Though Jesus told a different parable here than the one just before, both talk about being ready for the return of Christ. Both deal with those who were ready and those who weren’t. And both show the fate of those who, through their own spiritual neglect, faced eternal loss.

Just as the oil represents the Holy Spirit for the ten virgins, so the “bag” or “bags of gold” (Matt. 25:15, NIV) represent talents, which is the Greek word (talanta) in the original language. “The talents represent special gifts of the Spirit, together with all natural endowments.” — The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 5, p. 510.

Bags of gold are not in the King James Bible. "And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey."

All the servants in the parable had received goods from their master. Notice, too, that they were the master’s goods (Matt. 25:14), which were entrusted to them “every man according to his several ability” (Matt. 25:15). The gifts given to them were given in trust; in a real sense, these servants were stewards of what they didn’t own but were responsible for. That’s why, when the master came back, he “reckoneth with them” (Matt. 25:19).

Spiritual gifts come from the Holy Spirit (see 1 Cor. 12:1-11, 28-31; Eph. 4:11). There is good news for those who think they have the least gift. Gifts are never received without the Giver. So, these people receive their gift by receiving the greatest gift — the Holy Spirit.

The gifts are already ours in Christ, but our actual possession depends upon our reception of the Holy Spirit and surrender to Him. Here is where the unprofitable servant made his mistake. He had been given a gift but did nothing with it. He left his gift unimproved. He didn’t make an effort to take what he had been graciously given and do something with it. As a result Jesus called him “wicked and slothful servant” (Matt. 25:26) — a powerful condemnation.

Jesus told this parable in the context of the last days and His return. What does it teach us, then, about how the use of our talents is crucial to being prepared for the last days?

The parable speaks of "spiritual gifts" that come after conversion, and also of the talents God gives before conversion. Both were given that we might bless others, not ourselves.

The special gifts of the Spirit are not the only talents represented in the parable. It includes all gifts and endowments, whether original or acquired, natural or spiritual. All are to be employed in Christ’s service. In becoming His disciples, we surrender ourselves to Him with all that we are and have. These gifts He returns to us purified and ennobled, to be used for His glory in blessing our fellow men.

To every man God has given “according to his several ability.” The talents are not apportioned capriciously. He who has ability to use five talents receives five. He who can improve but two, receives two. He who can wisely use only one, receives one. None need lament that they have not received larger gifts; for He who has apportioned to every man is equally honored by the improvement of each trust, whether it be great or small. The one to whom five talents have been committed is to render the improvement of five; he who has but one, the improvement of one. God expects returns “according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.” 2 Corinthians 8:12.  COL 328.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:42 AM »
Friday •  May 18

Further Thought: “The man who received the one talent ‘went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord’s money.’”

“It was the one with the smallest gift who left his talent unimproved. In this is given a warning to all who feel that the smallness of their endowments excuses them from service for Christ. If they could do some great thing, how gladly would they undertake it; but because they can serve only in little things, they think themselves justified in doing nothing. In this they err. The Lord in His distribution of gifts is testing character. The man who neglected to improve his talent proved himself an unfaithful servant. Had he received five talents, he would have buried them as he buried the one. His misuse of the one talent showed that he despised the gifts of heaven”.

“‘He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much.’ Luke 16:10. The importance of the little things is often underrated because they are small; but they supply much of the actual discipline of life. There are really no nonessentials in the Christian’s life. Our character building will be full of peril while we underrate the importance of the little things.” — Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons , pp. 355, 356.

Discussion Questions:

What have been some ideologies and ideals that people have believed would bring about a utopia on earth? What were those ideas, and why, without exception, have all failed?

What is it about obedience to what God tells us to do that strengthens our faith? That is, why is faith without the corresponding works “dead” (James 2:26) ? Considering the kind of trials awaiting those who “keep the commandments of God” (Rev. 14:12), why is it so important for us now to be preparing for what will come when we least expect it?

If we can't walk with the "footmen" who shall we be able to run with the horses? Today God is giving us opportunity to see we need Him all the time, not part of the time. Without Christ in the heart, we are evil by nature and can do no good thing. We need Jesus in the heart, then we can do all He asks of us.

Think more about the ten virgins. Why should their story be a warning to us that, on the surface and in so many different ways, they all looked and acted alike? How can we make sure we are not as self-deceived as the foolish ones were?

They all professed to love God, but not all did. They all had Bibles, but not all studied them to know God as though ought to have. A profession of faith will save none. We must have Jesus. We must love Him supremely with the whole heart.

What does it mean that, if possible, even “the elect” could be deceived? What is our understanding of “the elect”? (See Matt. 24:31, Rom. 8:33, Col. 3:12.) What does this tell us about how great the deceptions will be?

The elect are those who are truly converted. They love Jesus with the whole heart. They obey Him. If we love Him supremely we will keep His commandments. The Bible says "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."  It does not say it is possible, it says that "if it were possible" they would be deceived. But, it is not possible. Why is it not possible for those who have given the whole heart to Christ to be deceived?

Not all in the church are in a Laodicean (deceived) condition. Why are some not deceived? How is it that we can escape the deceptions revealed in the message to the Laodicean Church? Is the answer given in the message from Christ? And that message is the very same message given to Nicodemus in the Garden.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »
Can someone tell us what it means to not have a Mediator, and how it is that we can come to such a point?

First, I would say that the sure way "to not have a Mediator", and the "how", is to remain indifferent to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for our salvation from sin|sinning, and continue to sin. -But that isn't the point of your question.

1 John 3:5 And ye know that he [Christ] was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

1 John 2
1 My little children, these things write I unto you,  that   ye   sin   not.  And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

When Eve listened to, contemplated, then received the words of the Serpent in contradiction to the word of her Creator, subsequently acting on the word of the Serpent, she immediately needed an Advocate or Mediator, to be brought back into harmony with God, as she was then separated from the will of God the Father. The Mediator immediately declares to Satan, thus assuring Eve His divine promise, "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed... Genesis 3:15".

I believe that we can conclude from 1 John 2:1-4, that those who receive Christ as Saviour, cease to sin; and only thus, come to not need a mediator, an "advocate with the Father", as they have become one in purpose with the Godhead.
" hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. vs. 3"

John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Revelation 14:
3 ...the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 ...are they which...follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

When Christ indwells the sanctuary, or temple of the soul of the Believer, there remains no sin to be forgiven or mediated in the Heavenly Sanctuary before Christ's return, while Christ in you, the hope of glory Colossians 1:27 or, Christ's intimate presence through His Spirit, with His Bride, continues for eternity.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 07:25:55 AM »
Not all in the church are in a Laodicean (deceived) condition. Why are some not deceived? How is it that we can escape the deceptions revealed in the message to the Laodicean Church? Is the answer given in the message from Christ? And that message is the very same message given to Nicodemus in the Garden.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Revelation 12:11 And they overcame [the accuser] by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

2 Samuel 22:30 For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall.

Joshua 23:10 One man of you shall chase a thousand: for the LORD your God, he it is that fighteth for you, as he hath promised you.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood