Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 2--2nd Quarter 2018--Daniel and the End Time  (Read 8323 times)

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 2--2nd Quarter 2018--Daniel and the End Time
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
...If we have not His Spirit, we are none of His (Romans 8:9). But, that does not answer my question as to what we must do to be saved. It tells us that we need the Spirit in order to be saved, but what must I do to get the Spirit? And, there is a difference between the Spirit speaking to me and the Spirit dwelling in me. We need to be filled with the Spirit in order to have spiritual life (eternal life), to be saved. What must I do to be born again of the Spirit. If there were nothing for me to do, then all would be saved.

[Christ] breathed on [the disciples], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost John 20:22

"What must I do to be born again of the Spirit"?
...feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us Acts 17:27

Feel after Him, find Him, receive Him; act in faith on His spoken or written WORD.

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 09:28:06 AM »
When the issue of worship arises in the last days, how can we be sure that we will stand as faithfully as they did?

The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life.

What love animated Christ, as a man?
...he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.... John 8:29

God is love. 1 John 4:8

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us... 1 John 3:1

...the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance Romans 2:4

Is it stretching it too far to consider that Christ, as a man, had that godly sorrow [which] worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of... 2 Corinthians 7:10?

The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one.
The S.D.A. Bible Commentary, Ellen G. White Comments, vol. 5, 1129, 1130

...they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. John 17:21

...our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29

When those three Hebrew men submitted their will to God, to the shedding of their blood [Hebrews 12:2-4], as it were, God in Christ was "one with them" in the fiery furnace which had been set to 7 times hotter, and they were not burnt.

He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire.” Matthew 3:11, R. V., margin. The prophet Isaiah had declared that the Lord would cleanse His people from their iniquities “by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.” The word of the Lord to Israel was, “I will turn My hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin.” Isaiah 4:4; 1:25. To sin, wherever found, “our God is a consuming fire.” Hebrews 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, “I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” Genesis 32:30. DA 107.4

The Spirit of God will consume sin in all who submit to His power. See Hebrews 12:29. But if any cling to sin, then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. At the second advent of Christ, the wicked will be consumed “with the breath of His mouth” and destroyed “with the brightness of His coming.” 2 Thessalonians 2:8. The glory of God that gives life to the righteous will destroy the wicked. HH 41.6

Each Believer at end-time will have previously been consumed by the fire of His divine presence; God's LOVE; dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:11

When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. Colossians 3:4

...able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all [having the whole armour of God], to stand. Ephesians 6:13; (see Psalm 91)

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
How can we sleep at night knowing that from our pulpits and from our presses come these false gospels which have and continue to deceive a multitude within God's church? The little sins, we have been taught, are not revealing we are separated from God. Thus, the Laodicean sleeps through his probationary time thinking he is rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing. He does not realize he is unprepared for the wedding feast. His character has not been transformed by the blood of Christ.

Amen Richard! Surely! Let us make our calling and election sure, holding the truth in righteousness, ourselves; letting Christ dwell within us, the oil of gladness, the Spirit of God, permeating our every thought, an inward perfection reaching out to perfection in action, making others thirst for those springs of Living Waters we ourselves enjoy.

Isaiah 62:
6 I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,
7 And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth.

The power of the Holy Spirit will accompany your words if your own life is a representation of the truth which sanctifies the character, for you will then be a living epistle known and read of all men.... 2MR 92.3

Glen

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »
What is "gold tried in the fire"?

Graces that endure the proofs of affliction and persecution, and evidence their soundness and sincerity, are the gold which is tried in the fire and found genuine. 1TT 478.1

This is the duty of every teacher of Bible truth,—to illustrate in his own life the active Christian virtues, to be pure in heart, given to holy conversation, to be good, and to do good. Sketches From the Life of Paul 157.2

The active virtues must be cultivated as well as the passive. The Christian, while he is ever ready to give the soft answer that turneth away wrath, must possess the courage of a hero to resist evil. With the charity that endureth all things, he must have the force of character which will make his influence a positive power for good. GW92 350.2

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »

Is it stretching it too far to consider that Christ, as a man, had that godly sorrow [which] worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of... 2 Corinthians 7:10?

In order to answer that question, Brother Glen, we need to understand what that godly sorrow is for us.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 10:06:32 PM »
Friday •  April 13

Further Thought: “As we near the close of this world’s history, the prophecies recorded by Daniel demand our special attention, as they relate to the very time in which we are living. With them should be linked the teachings of the last book of the New Testament Scriptures. Satan has led many to believe that the prophetic portions of the writings of Daniel and of John the revelator cannot be understood. But the promise is plain that special blessing will accompany the study of these prophecies. ‘The wise shall understand’ [Dan. 12:10], was spoken of the visions of Daniel that were to be unsealed in the latter days; and of the revelation that Christ gave to His servant John for the guidance of God’s people all through the centuries, the promise is, ‘Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein.’ Revelation 1:3”. — Ellen G. White, Prophets and Kings, pp. 547, 548.

Though we tend to look at the book of Daniel in the context of the rise and fall of nations, the judgment (Dan. 7:22, 26; 8:14), and the final deliverance of God’s people in the time of trouble (Dan. 12:1), we saw this week that the book of Daniel also can give us examples of what it means for us individually to be prepared for trials and persecution, whenever they come. In this sense, these stories present us with crucially important messages in the last days. After all, however helpful it may be to know about the “mark of the beast” and the “time of trouble” and upcoming persecution, if we haven’t had the kind of experience with God that we need, all this knowledge will only condemn us. More than anything else, we need the “born again” experience that Daniel and the others, including Nebuchadnezzar, had.

Amen!! And, it begins with conversion. If we are not truly converted, then we are not having the experience that prepares us for what is coming. To the contrary, we are going in the wrong direction and our habits are being formed to be more and more like Satan, not God.

Discussion Questions:

Read Daniel’s prayer in chapter 9:3-19.

9:3   And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes: 
 9:4   And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments; 
 9:5   We have sinned, and have committed iniquity, and have done wickedly, and have rebelled, even by departing from thy precepts and from thy judgments: 
 9:6   Neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, which spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land. 
 9:7   O Lord, righteousness [belongeth] unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, [that are] near, and [that are] far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee. 
 9:8   O Lord, to us [belongeth] confusion of face, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against thee. 
 9:9   To the Lord our God [belong] mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him; 
 9:10   Neither have we obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets. 
 9:11   Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that [is] written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him. 
 9:12   And he hath confirmed his words, which he spake against us, and against our judges that judged us, by bringing upon us a great evil: for under the whole heaven hath not been done as hath been done upon Jerusalem. 
 9:13   As [it is] written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth. 
 9:14   Therefore hath the LORD watched upon the evil, and brought it upon us: for the LORD our God [is] righteous in all his works which he doeth: for we obeyed not his voice. 
 9:15   And now, O Lord our God, that hast brought thy people forth out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and hast gotten thee renown, as at this day; we have sinned, we have done wickedly. 
 9:16   O Lord, according to all thy righteousness, I beseech thee, let thine anger and thy fury be turned away from thy city Jerusalem, thy holy mountain: because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and thy people [are become] a reproach to all [that are] about us. 
 9:17   Now therefore, O our God, hear the prayer of thy servant, and his supplications, and cause thy face to shine upon thy sanctuary that is desolate, for the Lord's sake. 
 9:18   O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies. 
 9:19   O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God: for thy city and thy people are called by thy name. 

How does this prayer show that Daniel understood grace, and that God loves and redeems us out of His own graciousness, as opposed to any merit or goodness on our own part? Why is this a truth so important not just to understand but to experience?

Daniel's prayer revealed he was asking for grace, for he acknowledged Israel's apostasy and plead for forgiveness. If do not experience our sin, then why ask for grace? We are saved by grace when we see God's love for us in spite of our guilt.

In class, discuss the challenges that the three Hebrews (Daniel 3) and Daniel (Daniel 6) faced in regard to standing up when their religious practices were threatened by political authorities. What similarities do you find in the two accounts? What differences? And what can we learn from both accounts about how we can be powerful witnesses by being faithful?

We are God's witnesses when we are truly converted and things are going well. But, when things do not go well, when we are persecuted and threatened with death, then the difference between those who love God supremely (are converted), and those who do not (are not converted), is clearly seen. Ezekiel speaks of this as God moved him: "And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes." 36:23. When we are seen to be holy, then the heathen will know there is a God who works miracles!

What does it mean to be “born again”? Why would Jesus say that we “must be born again” (John 3:7)?

It means to be fully surrendered to Jesus and filled with the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that because those who are born of the flesh walk after the flesh until they are born of the Spirit. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, that which is born of the Spirit, is Spirit. We must be born of the Spirit
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Glen

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 08:02:23 AM »

In order to answer that question, Brother Glen, we need to understand what that godly sorrow is for us.

"godly sorrow is for us", a turning away from sin in the identical way Christ did it in the desert, as He "was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, Being forty days tempted of the devil" Luke 4:1, 2

It is no sin to have godly sorrow for sin, as God did, in having created mankind (that's how scripture pictures His "repentance", that He would "undo" His creation of mankind)

Genesis 6:
God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Specifically in a spiritual sense, provision was made at the Cross for the destruction of sin, in the redemption of fallen man and the angels that repented (with godly sorrow) before the great battle in heaven, of their disloyalty to God.

The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God. 5BC 1132.8

...[God] hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21

Truly, there was no sin in Christ taking up His cross for us, allowing Himself to be made sin for us; thus, giving us hope. It is no sin for us to take up our cross, daily, confessing our sinfulness, and giving it gladly to Jesus, henceforth professing no "right" to it; thus denying, "self", as Jesus did in His humbling Himself. He identified Himself AS sin, that we might be identified as righteous in God's eyes, that we might be drawn to the Father; thus in our fellowshipping in His sufferings, in our following Him, reckoning ourselves dead indeed to sin, Christ in us Colossians 1:27 condemning sin in the flesh Romans 8:3: For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. So then death worketh in [the Believer], but life in [the hearer].2 Corinthians 4:11, 12 to the salvation of those around us who are still in darkness and sin:

God "destroyed" sin in a different way, shielding sinful humanity from the fire of the purity of His righteousness, through Christ's sacrifice, making it possible, through grace, to 'slay' the sinner (The soul that sinneth, it shall die. Ezekiel 18:20), in such a way that the penitent sinner, that feel after him, and find him Acts 17:27 might have life, and that they might have [life] more abundantly [John 10:10]:

John 11:
25 Jesus said...I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2 Corinthians 5:19
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

1 Peter 2:
21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously

The natural man must die, and the new man, Christ Jesus, take possession of the soul, so that the follower of Jesus may say in verity and truth: “I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me” (Galatians 2:20). AG 39.3

The "new Man, Christ Jesus" takes the field; the Godhead bodily (For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily Colossians 2:9), inhabiting humanity, continuing in the Believer that "godly sorrow for sin" acknowledged by THEM at the very onset of the mystery of iniquity, to be carried throughout Eternity, that affliction shall not rise up the second time Nahum 1:9.

Christ had suffered in the flesh. He had clothed His divinity with humanity, and in every period of His life, through infancy, childhood, youth, and manhood, He had suffered every phase of trial and temptation with which humanity is beset... Bible Training School October 1, 1915, par. 2

Hebrews 12:
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

We are to preach the word of life to those whom we may judge to be as hopeless subjects as though they were in their graves.

Though they may seem unwilling to hear or to receive the light of truth, without questioning or wavering we are to do our part. We are to repeat to them the message. “Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.”

It is not the human agent that is to inspire with life. The Lord God of Israel will do that part, quickening the lifeless spiritual nature into activity. The breath of the Lord of hosts must enter into the lifeless bodies. 
The Review and Herald January 17, 1893 paragraph 5, 6

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Good morning, Brother Glen. Thank you for your understanding of godly sorrow. I see it differently. Godly sorrow I believe to be sorrow for what my sins have done to God. It is the result of seeing God's grace, His undeserved love for me while I was yet sinning. The grace of God works in me to cause me to be sorry for my sins that have injured Him so very much.

With this understanding we see that it is grace that brings repentance and grace that transforms the sinner into saint. Grace is every thing to us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 09:13:26 AM »
Brother Glen, here is a statement from the Spirit of Prophecy that says it better than I can:

In this second epistle to the church, the apostle expressed his joy at the good work which had been wrought in them: “Though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent”—when tortured with fear that his words would be despised, and half regretting that he had written so decidedly and severely. He continues: “Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance; for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of.” That repentance which is produced by the influence of divine grace upon the heart, will lead to the confession and forsaking of sin.

Glen

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 07:01:53 AM »
That repentance which is produced by the influence of divine grace upon the heart, will lead to the confession and forsaking of sin.

Certainly; I have no problem Brother Richard that you think differently than I; and I appreciate the quote you share from Ellen White. However, Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17 Think with me a little longer?

As you mention, "That repentance which is produced by the influence of divine grace upon the heart, will lead to the confession and forsaking of sin."

Yes indeed; scripture plainly, simply, describes that Christ...the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. His confession, if you will, was constantly, I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. John 8:28 What would have been the outcome had Christ attempted to do ANYTHING of Himself? It was the "grace", the divine presence of God the Father; that prompted Christ from a child to comprehend the degradation of mankind that He, daily confessing Himself as in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin Romans 8:3 yet grew, become "strong in spirit, filled with wisdom"; that strengthened Him as He became more and more aware of the great burden of imputed and imparted guilt that weighed on His soul as God...made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. [2 Corinthians 5:20, 21] -that He could even condemn...sin in the flesh. Though Christ never sinned, His hatred for it deepened each day as the righteous divine presence of the Father grew in Him, and He in the Father. ONLY as His "oneness" with God, in the love of the Truth shed abroad in His heart, could His "godly sorrow for sin", develop, as our great example: For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth 1 Peter 2:21, 22. ...hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. Romans 5:5 Just as Christ, as a man, depended upon the Word of God, so we may be influenced by the Spirit of the Father to "eschew evil" and soundly "Submit...ourselves...to God and resist the devil" James 4:7

There is no one who can explain the mystery of the incarnation of Christ. Yet we know that He came to this earth and lived as a man among men. The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one. Lift Him Up 235

All who will go to work, trusting not in what they themselves can do, but in what God can do for and through them, will certainly realize the fulfillment of His promise. “Greater works than these shall ye do,” He declares; “because I go unto My Father.”—The Desire of Ages, 664, 667. HB 50.6

The doing of the living principles of God’s law makes [us] one with Christ; and because He lives, [we] will live also. At the last day He will raise [us] as a part of himself. He declares, “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” “This is the will of Him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.”  Christ became one with us in order that we might become one with Him in divinity. RH June 18, 1901, par. 7

Glen

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 07:46:57 AM »
Godly sorrow I believe to be sorrow for what my sins have done to God. It is the result of seeing God's grace, His undeserved love for me while I was yet sinning. The grace of God works in me to cause me to be sorry for my sins that have injured Him so very much.

I do agree with you, Richard, regarding your understanding of godly sorrow.

I believe also, that this godly sorrow, perhaps in a different sense, was and is initiated by that which God the Father and His Son felt in Their great sorrow at the alienation and attempted dissolution of Gods government at the anarchy proceeding from the disloyalty of Lucifer, in heaven. The grace of God, through the agency of the Holy Spirit, germinates that same godly sorrow for sin within those who "feel" after God, whose hearts or minds are stirred. and that hatred for/of sin instilled, by the grace of the Spirit of God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »
Amen, Brother Glen. When we see what Satan did to Christ on the cross, we abhor it. When we realize it was my sin that caused Jesus to be put on the cross, then I sorrow for my part in His suffering. Satan is evil and he has caused so much misery in heaven and in the Earth. But, now I must see my part in it. My sins have hurt the One I love. It by beholding the stripes I caused Him to bear that I sorrow. But, I rejoice in knowing He has changed me and given me the opportunity to testify to His Goodness and grace in suffering and dying for me while I was at war with Him. Such unmerited love!!