Author Topic: Spring 2018  (Read 7141 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Spring 2018
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:16:38 PM »
Well even if it doesn't feel like spring the sounds of spring are here. Especially the birds. Just like a clock the Red-winged Black Birds showed upon March 11th and the Sandhill Cranes have also been around for a few days already.  And speaking of Sandhill Cranes when I got home late last night I shut off the car and waited and listened for a bit like I normally do and it sounded as though the cranes in the next cornfield was having a giant party or festival. I know they can be noisey but I didn't realize it, that late at night.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Spring 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
It certainly doesn't feel or look much like spring around here, with nearly 2' of snow still in my woods, and very few open patches even in the fields.  Only a few Red-winged Blackbirds and Grackles have shown up--after getting a very early Red wing over a month ago.  Today, for the first time there were multiple Robins singing down the road a bit.  And the prediction for the foreseeable future is for below normal temperatures--due to "global warming," I'm sure.  ::)

No cranes expected here until the snow is mostly gone.  They usually show up at the very end of March or early in April.  They're a recent addition to the breeding birds of the State, within the past 20 or 25 years, and their numbers are growing.

Wish you could send us some of those Trumpeter Swans from the UP.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:39:26 AM »
The almond trees bloomed three or four weeks ago, then the hard freeze came.  :(

But, it is spring again, with temps in the 80s!  That means summer with temps in the 100s is just around the corner!!  :(  We are content no matter where we are, or whatever the circumstances. God loves us!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
Well the only one I can relate to is Wally. We have a 5 foot pile of snow outside my window. Temperatures are struggling to bring some spring like weather. We never see the fowl you have mentioned but we do have our ducks back and we will soon hear the honking of the Canada Geese returning to their breeding grounds. But my cute little babies under my grow lights give me hope that sunny, warmer days are not far away.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:41:44 PM »
Wish you could send us some of those Trumpeter Swans from the UP.

I haven't seen the swans yet. Canadian Geese however, have been 2 or 3 weeks. I'm hoping the swans show up here soon. There is a nesting pair that use the farmer's pond down the road and I'm looking forward to seeing them again this year.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »
Climate change is bringing me much cooler temps than normal for the next couple of weeks and a few inches of snow tonight. I'm guessing maybe this means that summer will mild this year?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
We're in the same boat  you are;  maybe a little snow tonight and cooler than normal into at least next week or beyond.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
"April showers"? They tell us we are going to be hit by an "atmospheric river" tomorrow. That is a new term we began hearing out here in the West last year. Someone is messing around with the weather. It's not me with my tractor and car. I wonder who would want to cause misery to us poor humans?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »
Well that term was new to me. I had to go look it up...

Although atmospheric rivers come in many shapes and sizes, those that contain the largest amounts of water vapor and the strongest winds can create extreme rainfall and floods, often by stalling over watersheds vulnerable to flooding. These events can disrupt travel, induce mudslides and cause catastrophic damage to life and property. A well-known example is the "Pineapple Express," a strong atmospheric river that is capable of bringing moisture from the tropics near Hawaii over to the U.S. West Coast. Source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »
That's it Jim. It did not hit us as expected. The term "pineapple express" was the familiar term makes one cringe in the spring out here. If we have a heavy snowpack, and it pours out a huge amount of warm rain and melts the snow, and if the ground is already soaked and the reservoirs full, it spells real trouble.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 01:28:41 PM »
Life is wonderful. But some days, stress can really get you down. For the days when you need an extra push to live your best life, remember this incredible life lessons from the natural world. God has given us reason to be encouraged every day.

When plants are cut by gardeners or eaten by animals, they grow back, often bigger, faster and stronger than they were before.  Similarly, forest fires help rejuvenate trees and other plant life on a cyclical cycle.
During the dry season, some African zebras migrate more than 300 miles — the longest big-mammal migration on the continent — to follow the rains, according to National Geographic, just one example of how animals respond to hardship with strength.
Remember that when you face what seems like an insurmountable obstacle, you are strong enough to fight back. Not in our own strength of course, but in God's strength. He has promised to get us through anything. If He brings us to it, He will take us through it.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 06:15:43 AM »
Amen, dear sister. We find this truth throughout nature, God's second Book.

We also find it in Scripture. When we abide in Christ, He abides in us and empowers us to not be overcome in our trial. In Christ, it works for our good and His glory. How so? The Bible tells us: "And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

God promises us that He will not allow a temptation to come to us that we cannot bear if we are in a converted state (abiding in Him). "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it]." 1 Cor. 10:13.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard." Ps 19:1-3.
From the solemn roll of the deep-toned thunder
and old ocean's ceaseless roar,
to the glad songs
that make the forests vocal with melody,
nature's ten thousand voices
speak His praise.

Nature is talking to us every day and every night. There are alphabets in nature just as there are alphabets in the written word. In the written word, we put alphabets together to make words, and words make sentences, sentences make paragraphs and we come up with stories, messages, instructions, etc., that make sense and have meaning to us.
When nature puts together these alphabets, it tells us stories of God's love to man. If our hearts are in tune with God, we hear these stories and messages, we hear the counsels and admonitions, and we hear ten thousand voices speaking His praises.
In earth, and sea, and sky,
with their marvelous tint and color,
varying in gorgeous contrast
or blended in harmony,
we behold His glory.
The everlasting hills tell us of His power.
The trees that wave their
green banners in the sunlight,
and the flowers in their delicate beauty,
point to their creator...
The sun rising in the heavens
is a representative of Him
who is the life and light
of all that He has made.
All the brightness and beauty that
adorn the earth and light up the heavens,
speak of God.
With Christian Love,