Author Topic: Dem Parents Shun Their GOP Candidate Son Over Politics  (Read 806 times)

Cop

Dem Parents Shun Their GOP Candidate Son Over Politics
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
[Excerpts]

Republican Senate candidate Kevin Nicholson of Wisconsin is no longer on speaking terms with his mom and dad, who are Democrats.

“It’s unfortunate,” Nicholson said, according to the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune. “We’re not in contact with my parents. That’s a decision they made on the basis of their politics.”

As a sign of their distaste for their son’s politics, Michael and Donna Nicholson both contributed the $2,700 maximum amount to Baldwin.

Nicholson’s parents raised him as a Democrat, but he said he no longer shares their political views.

Nicholson even served as the president of College Democrats of America in 2000 and spoke at the Democratic National Convention, CNN reported.

"My parents have a different worldview than I do,..."

“My worldview is informed by my experiences,” Nicholson said. “My decision to join the United States Marine Corps in the middle of two wars and to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, while there I had my illusions ripped away.”

Nicholson also spent time as a rancher, which taught him the value of labor.

“Waking up at 4 in the morning will make you more conservative because you’re going to go out and work extremely hard,” Nicholson said. “My choice to become a Christian and to fight for the unborn…my experience as a husband and a father, these are all things that form your worldview and your opinion.”

Source: https://www.libertyheadlines.com/dem-parents-shun-gop-candidate-son-politics/
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Dem Parents Shun Their GOP Candidate Son Over Politics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
This is sad, but indicative of how polarized our country has become.  Gone are the days when Tip O'Neill and Reagan could disagree vociferously on policy, but then go have dinner together.  No longer can we have honest philosophical disagreements.  If you disagree with me, you are the enemy.

This man's experience is not unique, unfortunately.  I understand this past election resulted in a few divorces.

On the other hand, we're still better off than we were during the Civil War, when family members took up arms against each other.

But I do think this may be another sign that God's Spirit is being withdrawn from mankind.  It sure looks as if evil men are waxing worse and worse.  II Tim. 3:13
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

Re: Dem Parents Shun Their GOP Candidate Son Over Politics
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:56 AM »

We are seeing untold divisions within families. My mother is SDA ( technically). When talking with her on the phone she speaks of hanging and killing people. She does not mean it but she is venting. Now she is accusing my adopted children of totally unfounded things and recently told another family member that we need to be careful because she saw on doctor Phil how adopted children sometimes kill their parents. We have a great relationship with our children and in church after church we are told what a great witness our children are. This has rendered conversation with my mother gone. She is just plain mean to people.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.