Author Topic: Mysterious syndrome in which marijuana users get violently ill is starting to wo  (Read 1545 times)

Cop

[Excerpts]

Mrs. X knew something was wrong when she burned herself in the bath for the third time.

The Australian woman — whose experience was documented anonymously in a published case study — had experienced sudden and severe episodes of illness for nine years. She'd get nauseous and a feel like the room was spinning, which was followed by violent vomiting and severe stomach pains. As it turned out, she had a mysterious syndrome that doctors are only now beginning to recognize.

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS, appears to occur in people who use marijuana frequently for years. Aside from quitting marijuana, there are no known treatments.

Mrs. X was eventually diagnosed with CHS. Patients who get it usually experience a very upset stomach in connection to frequent, heavy marijuana use. Mrs. X's case report, along with those of nine other people with similar symptoms, was published in 2004 in the medical journal Gut, an official journal of the British Society of Gastroenterology. It was the first time the set of symptoms was given a name.

The scientists behind the latest study, published in the journal Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, looked into CHS by examining a large sample of adults admitted to an emergency room in New York City. The researchers surveyed thousands of patients in an attempt to find only those who used marijuana frequently — at least 20 days per month — and ended up with 155 people who met their criteria. All of those individuals smoked nearly every day or multiple times a day, often for five years or more.

More @: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/a-mysterious-syndrome-in-which-marijuana-users-get-violently-ill-is-starting-to-worry-researchers/ar-BBJbiHz?li=AA51YJ&ocid=spartandhp
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson