Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 1--1st Quarter 2018--The Influence of Materialism  (Read 5118 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39

The Life of a Christian Steward

As Christians, we need to recognize our sinful condition before we see a need for change. That change can come only and thoroughly through Christ working in us. And one expression of His work in us is in the area of stewardship. Though stewardship encompasses many different aspects of the Christian’s life, we will define it now, broadly, as managing tangible and intangible possessions for the glory of God.

As taught in the Bible, stewardship becomes, among other things, a powerful tool against the dangers of materialism (the love of owning things), or worldliness in general - one of the great spiritual snares the enemy of souls sets before us. Many people fail to realize that wealth and possessions are cheap, artificial seasonings that eventually lose their flavor. Unfortunately, many souls will be lost because of their failure to break free from their love of the world. The ways of the world - “the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life” (1 John 2:16) - can all be tempered, even avoided, through the principles of stewardship lived out in our lives.

That is why this quarter we will look at stewardship and what it can teach us about how to live as God would have us live, which includes freedom from the love of the world, in all its manifestations. Stewardship is the daily practical expression of what it means to follow Jesus; it is an expression of our love for God, a means of living out the truth that we have been given in Christ. We are stewards because God first loved us.

Our living of the steward’s life, then, involves our attitude, conversion, commitment, self-discipline, and much more. We are to be God’s faithful and trustworthy servants, living selfless lives by connecting to Jesus in everything we do and say. We discover in the school of Christ that the outcome of stewardship is the contentment of righteous living. We are to learn to manage God’s possessions for His glory, funding His mission to finish His work.

God’s stewards now “see in a mirror, dimly” (1 Cor. 13:12, NKJV), but Jesus sees clearly. He entrusts us to do His work. Even through the haze of the lure of the world, we are still responsible for the proper management of our talents, finances, health, and environment. These lessons are geared to teach us what our responsibilities as stewards are and how we can, through God’s grace, fulfill those responsibilities, not as a means of trying to earn salvation but as the fruit of already having it.

Our lives as Christian stewards reflect God’s character to the world. There is beauty, happiness, and godliness in the lives of those who dare to make a stand for biblical principles, especially against the trend and current of our culture. Everyone is tempted to live godless lives; the temptations are all around us, in open and in subtle ways. As Christians, especially as Christian stewards, we have not only been shown how to escape these temptations but promised the power to do so.

In the ultimate end, we are going to hear one of two sentiments spoken to us: “I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!” (Matt. 7:23, NKJV), or “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” (Matt. 25:23, NIV).It is our hope and prayer that what is taught about stewardship in this quarter’s lesson will help keep us on the path that will indeed make the words, “Come and share your master’s happiness” the words that we do hear.

John H. H. Mathews, D.Min., from Andrews University, is an ordained minister who has served in Florida, Alabama, Iowa, Missouri, Tennessee, and Nebraska. Today he is the North American Division Stewardship Ministries director.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 1 December 30-January 5

The Influence of Materialism

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: 1 John 2:16, 17; Luke 14:26-33; 12:15-21; Deut. 8:10-14; 1 Tim. 6:10; John 15:5; Gal. 2:20.

Memory Verse: “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Romans 12:2

The Word of God tells His people "be not conformed to this world” (Rom. 12:2), but the lure of materialism, the inordinate desire for wealth and for what we think wealth can bring, is powerful. Very few people, whether rich or poor, are beyond the reach of materialism.

This includes Christians as well.

Real Christians, or professing Christians? The author implied there are very few people who cannot be bought. Are they Christians? And if so, why cannot they be bought with the things of this world? Why are so many who profess to love God more than things love things more than God?

Nothing is wrong with being rich, or even working hard to get ahead in order to provide comfortably for yourself and your loved ones. But when money, or the pursuit of money, becomes all-encompassing, we have fallen into the devil’s trap and have, indeed, become “conformed to this world.”

In other words, those who are conformed to this world, are not Christians at all. There appears to be some confusion?

The world conveys the idea that the good life, the abundant life, can be found only in money. But money is one mask that Satan hides behind in order to secure our allegiance. Materialism is one of Satan’s weapons of choice against Christians. After all, who doesn’t like money and what money can bring us in the here and now? Its greatest achievement is instant gratification, but in the end it cannot answer our deepest needs.

Money is an exchange for labor and material. A workman is worthy of his hire. Money provides for our necessities like food and clothing. But, it is God that provides for us. If not for Jesus, the devil would keep us in bondage and there would be no peace and joy. The issue is very basic. We come into the world separated from God and in need of a Savior. Some don't ever figure this out, others even after joining a church remain ignorant of the power of grace to transform the life.

Let us begin at the beginning. We need Jesus in order to be really happy. If we remain selfish, we miss the joy in life. All the money in the world will not buy happiness. When we behold the grace of God, this will bring us joy and peace that passes all understanding.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Sunday December 31

The God of This World

Money has become the god of this world, and materialism is its religion. Materialism is a sophisticated and insidious system that offers temporary security but no ultimate safety.

It is only Christ that stands between the sinner and Satan. Otherwise, what we call a period of probation would not exist and Satan would be killing many more than just Abel. Satan did not kill Job because God would not allow it. Security without Christ is no security at all. Look at all of the little ones who die from cancer, are raped, and live horrible lives. Security?  Money does not protect anyone, no matter how much they have.

Angels that excel in strength protect us. When by God's grace we enter heaven, we shall find out how many times they protected us. Nothing happens that God does not allow to happen.

Materialism, as we define it here, is when the desire for wealth and possessions becomes more important and more valuable than spiritual realities. Possessions may have value, but their value shouldn’t possess us: “Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income” (Eccles. 5:10, NIV). That’s the problem with desiring the things of this world: no matter how much we get, it’s never enough; we push harder and harder for more and more of what can never satisfy us. Talk about a trap!

One can learn very quickly if they are not hardened against the truth. When one gets what they really want, how long does it make them happy? Most of the time, not very long. One does not have to be a Christian to understand this.

Read 1 John 2:16, 17.

2:16   For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 
 2:17   And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 

What does this text tell us about what really matters?

The things which are unseen are eternal, the things which we can see will pass away. Are we willing to wait to be satisfied with an easy life, or do we want our pleasure today for a very short period of time? More important, do we want to please God or self?

Read Luke 14:26-33.

14:26   If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 
 14:27   And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 
 14:28   For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have [sufficient] to finish [it]? 
 14:29   Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish [it], all that behold [it] begin to mock him, 
 14:30   Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. 
 14:31   Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 
 14:32   Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. 
 14:33   So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. 

What is Jesus telling us here, too, about what is of supreme importance for the Christian?

Would it not be foolish to trade living in a world of peace and love for eternity, for a few short years of pain and sufferimg? We ought to count the cost of choosing to please ourselves today.

Maybe it could be said like this: those for whom money, or the desire for money, becomes an all-consuming reality should, indeed, count the cost. “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:36.

Amen!!

“When Christ came to the earth, humanity seemed to be fast reaching its lowest point. The very foundations of society were undermined. Life had become false and artificial.   . . .  Throughout the world all systems of religion were losing their hold on mind and soul. Disgusted with fable and falsehood, seeking to drown thought, men turned to infidelity and materialism. Leaving eternity out of their reckoning, they lived for the present.” - Ellen G. White, Education, pp. 74, 75.

So it is today. Even in the church are many who do not live for Jesus. They do not give Him the whole heart, but hold back idols which are more important than Jesus. Why would this be? Maybe because they never gave all to Christ, maybe they were buried alive?

People drawn to infidelity and materialism and living only for the present? Sound familiar?

As it was at the time of the flood, so it is today, just before the second coming of Christ.

Who doesn’t like to own things?

Owning "things" often comes with responsibility. Get rid of many things and life becomes easier. This does not mean that God does not want us to have washing machines, running water, toilets, and a car. Of course He wants us to have things that give us more time to study and help others. I have a lot of tools, but can I find them when I need them? :(   

The question is: How can we know if the things we own, even if not many, own us, as well? Who alone should own us, and how can we be sure that He does?

Maybe we ought to be asking why we got what we have? Is it helpful to me to do what God is asking me to do? Or, is it for my pleasure? What am I living for? To please myself, or to please God?

Let us count the cost of choosing wrong? Jesus loves us and is calling us to Himself. "   And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." John 2:32.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Monday January 1

Filling the Barns

Read Luke 12:15-21.

12:15   And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. 
 12:16   And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: 
 12:17   And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? 
 12:18   And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. 
 12:19   And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, [and] be merry. 
 12:20   But God said unto him, [Thou] fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? 
 12:21   So [is] he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. 

What’s the message to us here? How might the principle here apply even to someone who is not necessarily rich?

God looks upon the heart. What is the motive? Abraham had much, but what was his motive in gaining cattle and sheep? The widow who gave the two mites was poor, but where was her heart? For whom are we living?

Whether we are rich or poor, our desire to own things can take our mind off what really matters and focus it, instead, on what’s only temporal and fleeting and certainly not worth the loss of eternal life.

And, it may even cost us our temporal life. If we live for the moment, that includes, from our reading, "eat, drink, and be merry." Much illness today is the result of eating things that are not healthy, and not eating food that is.

We would probably never bow down to a literal statue of gold or silver and worship it today. Nevertheless, we can still be in danger of worshiping gold and silver, just in another form.

Amen! Fashion is popular today. I see mature women spending much money on pants with holes in them.

This parable is so applicable in many parts of the world, where life is dedicated almost exclusively to acquiring possessions. Retailers have turned the hawking of their products into an art form on a global scale. Their whole marketing strategy is built on making us think that we can’t be happy or satisfied until we own what they are selling. One very successful company created a product, made us think we needed it, and then sold it to us. And the truth is: it worked! Even Christians, whose hope is not of this world, are not safe from this deception.

Christians who are living for the unseen world, do not want the things of this world, unless they are helpful to our mission. They do not have idols of gold and silver, and the fashions so popular today.

Read Deuteronomy 8:10-14.

8:10   When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy God for the good land which he hath given thee. 
 8:11   Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day: 
 8:12   Lest [when] thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt [therein]; 
 8:13   And [when] thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied; 
 8:14   Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage; 

In what ways can any church member be in danger from the threat warned about here?

First, he is not safe in being a church member. As a matter of fact, being a Laodicean puts one in danger. Jesus would rather have us cold than "lukewarm." We are only safe when we are in Christ and He in us. If self is not hid in Christ, then what do we expect will happen? We cannot serve two masters. We serve one or the other. If we have not the Holy Spirit dwelling in the heart, then we are none of His (Romans 8:9 ), and the heart is lifted by the things we have acquired.

What examples can you find, either in the Bible or our world today, in which the accumulation of wealth and material possessions increased a person’s spirituality, love of God, and desire for heavenly and spiritual things? Please share your answer with the class.

The lesson is that they pose a very real danger. And, even the revelation of truth poses a very real danger. It is not just money that leads away from Christ. Look at Waggoner and Jones. How about John Harvey Kellogg? Great blessings don't  always mean greater spirituality. We must establish an intimate relationship with Jesus and maintain it if we want to be safe from self and Satan.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Tuesday January 2

The Allure of Materialism

The advertising world is powerful. Companies spend billions putting images of their products before us. They almost always use beautiful and appealing people to promote what they are selling. We look at that ad and see ourselves, not just with the product but as actually being like the people in the ad.

Materialism would not be nearly as effective if it were not for the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) sensuality woven into the advertising. It is advertising’s most powerful technique, but it acts like poison to Christians who are struggling against the dangers of materialism, which is most of us.

What is our only safety against the temptation to be selfish?

Read Matthew 6:22-24.

6:22   The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 
 6:23   But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great [is] that darkness! 
 6:24   No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. 

What does the eye represent according to Christian thought and action? How should we as Christians react to the subtle images that tempt us to consume what we really don’t need?

The eye is one of the avenues to the mind. The question that needs to be answered is not how we should react, but how can we not yield to the temptation to be selfish? The answer is always the same, we need to have Jesus in the heart when the temptation comes.

Advertising that attaches sensuality to retailers’ products can become a powerful tool. Retailers sell their merchandise by creating excitement in the minds of consumers. The experience is pure fantasy, but it works. It can be almost mystical, taking people, however fleetingly, to what seems like another realm of existence. It becomes a false religion that offers no knowledge and no spiritual truth, yet at the moment is so appealing and alluring that many people don’t resist it. We want it, and we feel that we deserve it, so why not get it? God alone knows the vast amounts that have been spent and will still be spent on things that advertisers have convinced us we need.

Get it, and get it now!  This is the human condition apart from Christ. Man is by nature selfish. If it tastes good, we eat it, even if it hurts us. If it feels good, we want it now. This is who we are unless the Spirit has the heart.

“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” Gal. 5:16.
Though we tend to think of the “lust of the flesh” in only sexual terms, what other ways can we be in danger of fulfilling this lust?

The flesh is are carnal nature. It is the passions and appetites. Before Adam sinned, the mind had control over the lower powers, but when he sinned, things were reversed. The mind was aligned with Satan and sin and the flesh rules. It is only after we are born again of the Spirit that the mind which is fully surrendered to Christ has power to keep the flesh under control. Sadly, this is not taught very well in the church. If it was, then we would understand why we sin when we are professing to serve God. Listen to Scripture say the very same thing: "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Cor. 9:27.

We thank God the author of the lesson understands and teaches that if we walk in the Spirit, we will not sin (walk in the flesh). Often we hear that the Christian walks in the flesh because he has a fallen nature. This is making an excuse for sin when there is no excuse. God has at great expense provided a remedy, grace.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Wednesday January 3

Love of Self

"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think [of himself] more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." Romans 12:3.

God said, “Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee." Eze 28:17.  Lucifer deceived himself, thinking he was greater than he really was. When he said in his heart, “I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High” Isa. 14:14, he revealed self-ambition, claiming rights that he did not have. Self-deception and self-ambition were two traits of Lucifer’s fallen heart.

These texts about the fall of Lucifer should tell us that, in many ways, the original sin is that of narcissism, which one dictionary defines as “inordinate fascination with oneself; self-love, vanity.” What traits, in any fallen human being, are greater indicators of self-deception than these?

Yet these traits are more common than one might think. Nebuchadnezzar arrogantly thought he was greater than he was (Dan. 4:30). The Pharisees also learned to believe this seductive fantasy (see Luke 18:11, 12). Wealth, too, can lead to this same deception, if we are not careful.

They are common to man in his fallen nature.

Read 1 Timothy 6:10.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 

What danger is Paul warning about here?

Paul instructs Timothy to beware of many bad kinds of people (2 Tim. 3:1-5), including “lovers of money” (NKJV). This love of money can encourage overconfidence and a grandiose attitude of self-absorption and conceit. This is because materialism imbues people who have great possessions with an inflated sense of importance. It’s easy, when one has a lot of money, to think more highly of oneself than one should. After all, everyone wants to be rich, but only a very few make it. Hence, it is easy for the rich to become self-absorbed, proud, and boastful.

It is indeed hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. But, as for being proud and self-absorbed, that is the nature of fallen man. He is by nature selfish.

Read Philippians 2:3.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 

How does this verse help us understand why materialism, and the attitudes it can foster, are so contrary to the Christian ideal?

Why do people want fancy cars, houses, and clothes? Because they are missing something really important in their lives. These things do not bring love, peace, and joy. They think that people will like them because they have these possessions. Do we like people who have expensive things? What do you think of a woman who wears new pants with holes in them? What do you think of people who live in mansions and go out to dinner every night at expensive restaurants?

The Bible reveals an interesting truth that pertains to our lesson. When I was a child I thought as a child, but when I grew up, my thinking changed. Is that true of you? Or do you still wonder what you will get for Christmas? One day in my adult years prior to being converted, I wondered, and was ashamed. Again, I was not a Christian and I wondered how I got that way. I was taught to expect presents Christmas morning. How many are strengthening selfishness in their children today?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Thursday January 4

The Ultimate Futility of Materialism

There are many people who love God. Their identity is blended with His in a way that material possessions can’t dislodge.

That would mean they are permanently sealed. If on the point of material possessions, then it would be in all areas of life. When Moses struck the Rock, he sinned a grievous sin. It was not having to do with material things, but pride and anger. If he had not repented, he could have been dislodged from his attitude toward "things" also. Why make the point? Because if we sin in one thing, we are not His (converted). We have not His Spirit. To think we can overcome in one point and not others, may be true, but it is  not to the point of not being dislodged. Unless we abide in Christ and He in us, then we can do no good thing for the right reason. That is, the action must come from a heart wholly surrendered to God, or else we are just like the Pharisees, doing it in our own power.

Is it possible to not care much about material possessions, thinking you have overcome on this point? Yes. But, that does not mean you cannot be dislodged. Given certain circumstances you will sin on this point if not in a converted state (filled with the Spirit). There are many "good" people in the world who are not converted. They do good things, just as did Saul of Tarsus. He was blameless regarding the law of God. But, he was a "whited sepulcher." His heart was capable of murder, as revealed in the murder of Stephen.

Read Deuteronomy 7:6, 1 Peter 2:9, John 15:5, and Galatians 2:20.

7:6   For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that [are] upon the face of the earth. 

2:9   But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 

15:5    I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 

2:20   I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 

What does it mean to be God’s possession, and where do we find our true identity?
Israel was not a "holy people." He called them to be thusly, but they as a nation rejected Christ. They were most of time deep in apostasy. But, they were God' chosen people. Why? Because He had called them and entrusted them with the sacred oracles. I like the verses that tell us without being in a converted state there is nothing good in us. We can do no good thing until we are transformed in nature. That is born of the Spirit. We retain our sinful nature, but it is kept under by the power of an indwelling Savior.

We must understand there is a difference between being  born a Jew and being saved. There is a difference between being called and being a born again Christian. The elect of God are those who are fully surrendered to Christ, whose hearts have been purified.

God says, “I am the vine, ye are the branches. . . . Without Me ye can do nothing” (John 15:5). The connection is direct and secure. “All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses.” - Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 668.

On the other hand, materialism offers us an identity that is synonymous with our possessions. In other words, we define ourselves on the basis of what we own and what we can buy of this world’s goods. James cautions us against this: “Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.” James 5:3. To "hoard” means to collect and store up many treasures; more important, it is in those treasures, whether few or many, that many find their identity (Luke 12:19-21).

Yes, the world does, but not the Christian who is born again of the Spirit. He is transformed in character and lives his life for Christ and others.

Materialism is a form of identity confusion. This means that for many of us, our identity becomes fused with our possessions. Our possessions become our God (Matt. 6:19-21). As one person said, “I am nothing without my things.” How sad that we can identify ourselves only through whatever earthly possessions we have. What a shallow, fleeting, and ultimately futile way to live one’s life, especially for someone claiming to be a Christian. Do we identify with God or with our possessions? Eventually, it will be one or the other.

How much of your identity is related to the things you own?

Or with your position? Or with your beauty? Or are you really defined by your character? Is it possible to be like Jesus in character? If so, what must I do in order to reflect His character?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Friday January 5

Further Thought: “The enemy is buying souls today very cheap. ‘Ye have sold yourselves for nought,’ is the language of Scripture. One is selling his soul for the world’s applause, another for money; one to gratify base passions, another for worldly amusement. Such bargains are made daily. Satan is bidding for the purchase of Christ’s blood and buying them cheap, notwithstanding the infinite price which has been paid to ransom them.” - Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 5, p. 133.

Amen. How very sad. What is missing in the life of those who will exchange a life of love, peace, and joy, for a pittance of pottage? The answer is always the same, Jesus is missing. Unless we abide in Christ and He in us, we can do no good thing. we must have Jesus!

Buying souls through materialism is the goal of Satan, and the superficial trappings appeal to every heart. Materialism cannot speak, but it knows every language. It knows how to provide pleasure and gratification to both the rich and the poor and cause them to say, “I have all that I need here; why worry about anything else?” Thus, materialism corrupts the mind; it causes people to trust in what they own as opposed to trusting in God. However, the antidote is “not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.” Zech. 4:6. Materialism cannot withstand the control of the Holy Spirit when we give ourselves over to God and determine by His grace not to let materialism rule our lives.

Amen. It is through the Holy Spirit, Christ's representative, that the heart is cleansed from sin. It is the Holy Spirit that takes possession of the heart. It is through the Holy Spirit that man becomes a partaker of God's divine nature. It is the Spirit that brings into the life at conversion every one of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing (DA 676).

Discussion Questions:

What are ways in which, even if we are poor or without many material goods, we can still be swept up in some of the dangers we looked at this week? I see "poor" people who buy soda, candy, and beer.

When one is poor, ten percent of very little is very much compared to the wealthy who after they pay tithe of ten percent have much to eat, drink, and live.

Some people say, “I don’t care about money. Money doesn’t mean anything to me.” (Often, the ones who say this have plenty of money anyway.) Why, in most cases, is that simply not true? Finances are important; they do have a role in our lives. The question is: How can we keep money and our need for money in the right biblical perspective?

The answer is always the same, we need to be converted. Self needs to die, then we have power to resist the temptation to sin.

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Matt. 6:19-21.
Read carefully what Jesus says to us here. How is what He is telling us a powerful way to protect ourselves from the dangers of materialism?

The counsel of Jesus is very good, but why do so many professing Christians not follow His counsel? If self is still alive, then will we put our treasure in heaven? No. Why not? What must we do in order to be able to put our treasure in heaven? Man in and of himself has no power to battle the influence of things of this world, for he is aligned with Satan and sin. We must be born again of the Spirit if we want to live for Christ a sacrificial life.

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:5,6.