Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 2305 times)

colporteur

Vitamin D
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »

I tested on the low side with vitamin D. As I do research it seems one has to become a rocket scientist and Sherlock Holmes in order to know the story on this subject. There is 1000 opinions on this by experts. Some say vitamin D is critical. Others say the concern is overstated. And some state that D !2 supplement is not absorbed by the body as it is fat soluble  and it calcifies in the arteries. Some say that it takes as little as 10 minutes of sun per day even in the winter and others say you canno9t get enough sun unless you live by the equator. Some state that  D 3 is vegan and others say that only D 2 is vegan. Some are stating that one should take 50,000 units a week if you are low and your body will flush out the excess. Others state that his is a no no.  A naturalist SDA doctor says you can use a tanning bed and get your vitamin D back up. Yet, I read that a tanning bed is entirely the wrong approach and is useless because the wrong rays are emitted . Right now the only thing I am convinced of is that I need to try to get more sun. Has anyone sorted through all of this ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

ejclark

Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:38:35 AM »
My wife and I always recommend going as natural as possible. What God created in the garden of Eden will be your best source and I don't recall that He created supplements. We also remind people that God knows the end from the beginning and that we are not living in a day and age that has caught God off guard. Remembering these basic principles will help weed out many of the questions that may arise with any health/nutritional issue.

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:39:39 AM »
There were no supplements in the Garden of Eden, but also no sin.

It seems practical to consider a tiered approach -- (1) the application of natural principles, such as diet, exercise, sun exposure and so on, (2) nutritional supplements if necessary, and (3) more heroic measures.  An example of the last of these would be getting into a car accident, and being rushed to the ER, where all the latest drugs and technologies are applied to save one's life.

It's interesting to note the experience of Ellen White and Dr. Kress.  She was given a vision, in which she observed the deathly pallor of his hands (5BIO 119).  He was suffering from pernicious anemia, and she advised him to use raw or cooked eggs to get vitamin B-12 (12MR 168).

This is not necessarily a case of "Go thou and do likewise", but it's a useful data point for some people in some situations.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:33:10 AM »
Yes, Brother Glen, at times it may be necessary to take measures which in the Garden would not have been necessary. We eat greens today, that were not given to man in the Garden. Generally, it is not necessary to use supplements. But, herbs were given for healing, and they are to be a blessing to humanity today. Rather than eat eggs when most are full of disease, it would be better to take a synthetic supplement if diagnosed with pernicious anemia.

We have worked with diabetics that need time to bring their lifestyle in harmony with natures laws and have their metabolism adjusted. In the meantime, they need to continue taking insulin. It does not take long for most to bring their blood sugar levels down to normal when living right.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
 Thought I would just tuck this in here.

I went to a Dermatologist this week for a reoccurring rash on my forehead. I went not to get a cure but a possible diagnosis. Just curious. I received a glance and then the statement " It's over exposure to sun." I thought they might scape some cells or something and analyze it but what do I know, I'm not a Dermatologist ? They said I need to use more sun screen. I said, I don't use sun screen and I need the vitamin D. They said that it is impossible to get enough vitamin D from the sun. Great sales pitch !  And, I don't buy it.

I asked how they know my rash is from over exposure to the sun and not from food allergies or any number of things ? They said they don't and suggested using, antibiotics, or topical chemo or a treatment where they smear on something that makes the area break out and become raw and then they use a blue light to kill pre-cancer cells. How do they know it is pre--cancer cells ? They don't. I said that the rash improves right after I take a shower. They asked what I use for shampoo. I replied that I use bar soap. They suggested I find a better soap. This I don't understand because it is BETTER after I shower not worse. The attitude was a bit smug from them perhaps because I was thinking and asking questions and they were just firing out ideas as with a slingshot. At least that's my thinking. What did I gain from the visit ? Maybe I set a tone of resistance when I said that I don't do drugs and have not even taken an aspirin in 25 years. The head lady replied " but sometimes you have to." I replied, "IFFF you have to but I treat aliments naturally. " One of the three ladies looked at me like " you got to be kidding me."
Maybe it is over exposure to sun over time and I'm just being difficult but they did not convince me. I'm certain that my nose has been burned many times more than my forehead and I have no rash there ever.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:50:12 PM »
Hey Cp, you may be correct that it was you conversation that set the tone for the diagnosis. They probably figured you wouldn't listen to them anyway. I approach it a bit differently. I just keep my mouth shut and keep my opinions about drugs and antibiotics to myself. I do however ask bunch of questions. It's been a few years since I've been to the dr but the last time I was given a script for antibiotics it just never got filled. The time before that I was in the emergency room for large cut on my hand that I had done at work and they started me on antibiotics in the emergency room. I took the one pill and on my way home I had to pull over to toss my cookies and the rest got thrown in the trash.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}