Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 4--4th Quarter 2017--Justification by Faith  (Read 6191 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 4 October 21-27

Justification by Faith

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 4--4th Quarter 2017--Justification by Faith
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »
Justification by Faith

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Rom. 3:19-28.

Memory Text: “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law” Romans 3:28

In this lesson we come to the basic theme of Romans: justification by faith-the great truth that, more than any other truth, brought about the Protestant Reformation.

How does the staff of the quarterly come to this understanding? As I understand there were three main underpinning doctrines. Sola Scriptura, The Bible only. Liberty of conscience. And, justification by faith, not by works as the Roman Church was teaching, and still does. Poor Luther had been working hard, suffering great pain to be justified with God. How many Seventh-day Adventists are whipping themselves in an attempt to gain heaven? How many evangelicals are keeping the commandments in an effort to gain eternal life? Justification by faith is still the gospel. But, is it justification by faith alone? I know what Paul said, but I also know what James said, and for good reason. Why make the point? Because the great deception in the churches today, including ours, it that one does not have to keep the law of God in order to get to heaven. We are under grace, not under law. It has come into God's church also. One may retain eternal life when sinning a known sin.

We need to study the Bible more than we do. We need to quit reading all the books coming off our presses, the articles being published on the net, and even many sermons preached in our pulpits are missing the mark. When was the last time you heard Romans 8:1-14 preached or written out in an article? Why not? Because it is too simple and too truthful. It contradicts much of what the church teaches. How about 1 John chapter three. These are whole sections of the Bible, not a verse twisted as we often hear.

It is late in the day. Jesus is coming soon. We must present the gospel, justification by faith, in a manner that is truthful. Adding justification by faith "alone" does not address the issues in the church today. We are not saved by anything we do, that is we cannot earn salvation. It is a gift purchased at great cost. We cannot enter heaven if we have not first been keeping the commandments of God from the heart. While we cannot earn heaven, we must do something in order to gain "saving" faith. What is it that we must do?

And despite all the claims to the contrary, Rome has no more changed regarding this belief now than it did in 1520, when Pope Leo issued a papal bull condemning Luther and his teachings. Luther burned a copy of the bull because if there were one teaching that could never be compromised, justification by faith was and is it.

Yes, the gospel of grace is the foundation of our faith. Grace is the power that transforms sinners into saints. We are saved by grace through our faith in God.

The phrase itself is a figure based on law. The transgressor of the law comes before a judge and is condemned to death for his transgressions. But a substitute appears and takes the transgressor’s crimes upon himself, thus clearing the criminal. By accepting the substitute, the criminal now stands before the judge, not only cleared of his guilt but also regarded as never having committed the crimes for which he was first brought into court. And that’s because the substitute-who has a perfect record-offers the pardoned criminal his own perfect law-keeping.

In the plan of salvation each of us is the criminal. The substitute, Jesus, has a perfect record, and He stands in the court in our stead, His righteousness accepted in place of our unrighteousness. Hence we are justified before God, not because of our works but because of Jesus, whose righteousness becomes ours when we accept it “by faith.” Talk about good news! In fact, the news can’t get any better than that.

This is the "Evangelical gospel" which is no gospel at all. Yes, there is much truth, but it does not reveal the power of grace to transform the repentant sinner. In this court hearing, which is called the "investigative judgment", the character of the one whose record is presented will be judged by a standard. If his record does not measure up to the standard, it reveals he is an apostate professor of religion. When one loves the Lord with the whole heart, it is revealed in the life. The true believer's faith is revealed by his obedience to the commandments of God which is the standard in the judgement.

We are saved (justified) by grace. It is the work of God in man. But man has not faith enough without this grace. So, we must do something in order to obtain this "saving faith." We must know Him who saves us through His grace. We must drink in His grace if we are to be saved by His grace. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8,9. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »

Sunday October 22

The Deeds of the Law

Read Romans 3:19, 20.

3:19   Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 
 3:20   Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin. 

What is Paul saying here about the law, about what it does, and about what it does not or cannot do? Why is this point so important for all Christians to understand?

The law condemns, it does not save. The law is the schoolmaster that points us to our Savior.

Paul is using the term law in its broad sense as the Jew in his day understood it. By the term Torah (the Hebrew word for “law”), a Jew even today thinks particularly of God’s instruction in the first five books of Moses but also more generally in the entire Old Testament. The moral law-plus the amplification of this in the statutes and judgments, as well as the ceremonial precepts-was a part of this instruction. Because of this we may think of the law here as the system of Judaism.

To be under the law means to be under its jurisdiction. The law, however, reveals a person’s shortcomings and guilt before God. The law cannot remove that guilt; what it can do is lead the sinner to seek a remedy for it.

Yes, it reveals one is under condemnation having sinned.

As we apply the book of Romans in our day, when Jewish law is no longer a factor, we think of law particularly in terms of the moral law. This law can’t save us any more than the system of Judaism could save the Jews. To save a sinner is not the moral law’s function. Its function is to reveal God’s character and to show people wherein they fall short of reflecting that character.

It is called sin.

Whichever law it is-moral, ceremonial, civil, or all combined-the keeping of any or all in and of itself will not make a person just in God’s sight. In fact, the law never was intended to do that. On the contrary, the law was to point out our shortcomings and lead us to Christ.

Again, call it what it is, sin.

The law can no more save us than the symptoms of a disease can cure the disease. The symptoms don’t cure; they point out the need for the cure. That’s how the law functions.

How successful have your efforts in law-keeping been? What should that answer tell you about the futility of trying to be saved by keeping the law?

Read Romans seven. Is this your experience? "I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" 7:23,24.   Paul was beside himself, he could not save himself. He could not keep the law. He did not know Jesus as Savior. He was condemned because he continued sinning. What is missing? Are you saved in your sin, or is there something else we need to discover?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:49:21 PM »

Monday October 23

The Righteousness of God

“Now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets” (Rom. 3:21). How are we to understand what this text means?

This new righteousness is contrasted with the righteousness of the law, which was the righteousness with which the Jew was familiar. The new righteousness is called “the righteousness of God”; that is, a righteousness that comes from God, a righteousness that God provides, and the only one that He accepts as true righteousness.

A new righteousness? When did righteous Enoch walk on this Earth? Seems that righteousness was manifested in days of old. Ezekiel spoke of righteousness in his day. "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." Eze. 36:25-27.

Did God impart His righteousness to the Jews, or is it only for Christians?

This is, of course, the righteousness that Jesus wrought out in His life while here in human flesh-a righteousness that He offers to all who will accept it by faith, who will claim it for themselves, not because they deserve it but because they need it.

Amen, but it does not come to all, not even those who believe. The devils believe, but do not receive His righteousness. To whom does God impart His righteousness? Will it cover unconfessed and unforsaken sins? No. Why not?

“Righteousness is obedience to the law. The law demands righteousness, and this the sinner owes to the law; but he is incapable of rendering it. The only way in which he can attain to righteousness is through faith. By faith he can bring to God the merits of Christ, and the Lord places the obedience of His Son to the sinner’s account. Christ’s righteousness is accepted in place of man’s failure, and God receives, pardons, justifies, the repentant, believing soul, treats him as though he were righteous, and loves him as He loves His Son.” - Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 1, p. 367.

Obedience to the law has been separated from mercy in the above statement. Let me share a similar quote that will reveal the deception.
False teachers will often quote what we read above from the Spirit of Prophecy, but they detest the rest of the truth and refuse to share it. Just as a verse in Scripture is taken out of context, so is the above quote. Let's read the rest of the truth associated with the above statement.

The law requires righteousness,—a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God’s holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God."  DA 762.
This is the same truth as what we read in the lesson, is it not. Only. there is more to say to keep from being deceived, as many have been. Read the other half of the truth.

"More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can “be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” Romans 3:26.

God’s love has been expressed in His justice no less than in His mercy. Justice is the foundation of His throne, and the fruit of His love. It had been Satan’s purpose to divorce mercy from truth and justice. He sought to prove that the righteousness of God’s law is an enemy to peace. But Christ shows that in God’s plan they are indissolubly joined together; the one cannot exist without the other. “Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.” Psalm 85:10.

By His life and His death, Christ proved that God’s justice did not destroy His mercy, but that sin could be forgiven, and that the law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed. Satan’s charges were refuted. God had given man unmistakable evidence of His love.  Desire of Ages, pg 762.

God imparts His righteousness to repentant sinners. "The law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed."

How can you learn to accept this wonderful truth for yourself? See also Rom. 3:22.

Accept the truth quoted without accepting the other half, and be deceived about your standing before God. Without keeping the commandments of God, without manifesting of the fruits of the Spirit, none will enter heaven. When we are born of the Spirit, we will manifest the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. If we have not His Spirit, we do not have eternal life (Romand 8:9).

The faith of Jesus Christ is here, doubtless, faith in Jesus Christ. As it operates in the Christian life, faith is much more than intellectual assent; it is more than just an acknowledgment of certain facts about Christ’s life and His death. Instead, true faith in Jesus Christ is accepting Him as Savior, Substitute, Surety, and Lord. It is choosing His way of life. It is trusting Him and seeking by faith to live according to His commandments.

All men are given a measure of faith. That does not save anyone. Saving faith is trusting Jesus with the whole heart, with all we have and all we are. There is no holding back. It is all or nothing. Profession of faith means nothing to God. It is a faith that gives the whole heart to Christ. We must love the Lord thy God with the whole heart. We must die to self and live unto Christ. In order to do this, we must know Jesus. We must live for Him. We must be born again of the Spirit. And when we are born again of the Spirit, we will keep the commandments of God and manifest each one of the fruits of His Spirit. It is a straight and narrow road to heaven. Now we must claim what the lesson has stated. We must understand that the grace of God when allowed into the heart will enable all to reach heaven. It is Christ that empowers all who will exchange a sin polluted heart for a heart cleansed as white as snow. We can do it, if we will learn of Him who gave all for us while we were yet sinners.

Do not be deceived about the power of the gospel and the requirements to enter heaven.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »
Contemplating the deceptions brought into the church through quoting only the imputation of the righteousness of Christ and not the impartation of His righteousness, I was impressed with another deception that has been brought into the church through the same quote. I am using my quote, but it makes the very same point, that Christ's righteousness stands in place of ours. But, notice what Ellen White did not say in the quote used by the lesson's authors. It adds understanding that does not agree with the false teachers who misuse the quote.

The law requires righteousness,—a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God’s holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God."  DA 762.

There is remission of sins for the repentant sinner. But, there is not remission of future sins. This is important because the false teacher is preaching His righteousness is going to cover my sins that are not confessed and forsaken. You see my righteousness is filthy and God has not given me power to keep the law. But, in the quote, we read that it is the "sins that are past" that have been forgiven, not future sins. Future sins, if there be any, will bring condemnation until they are repented of.

As long as the repentant sinner is fully surrendered to Christ, he will be empowered through the indwelling Spirit to keep the law of God. It does not save him, but it reveals he is fully surrendered to Jesus and the Spirit has possession of the heart, the whole heart.

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »
Someone asked me to evaluate the theology in this lesson.

One thing I noticed is this paragraph in the Teacher's Edition:

Opening Discussion: Ask class members to share their respective personal journeys in coming to terms with the issue of pardon, forgiveness, and a new legal standing of acquittal before God.  Which was hardest for them to attain: intellectual (doctrinal) clarity or the admittance of their great need?  Invite them to share what it means, subsequently, to embrace God s merciful pardon.  Finally, what does their new legal standing as God s adopted children mean?

I am uneasy about the double use of the "legal standing" phrase.

My understanding of what justification really means is not primarily an adjusted legal standing, but internal renewal and cleansing and a new birth.  Bible examples of this include Psalm 51:7-10 and Titus 3:5-7.  The lesson seems not to have picked up on this angle.

Justification is a rich theme closely allied with the 1888 Message (TM 91) and the third angel's message (1SM 372).

This quote ties together some of the core ideas:

The work of redemption involves consequences of which it is difficult for man to have any conception. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9. As the sinner, drawn by the power of Christ, approaches the uplifted cross, and prostrates himself before it, there is a new creation. A new heart is given him. He becomes a new creature in Christ Jesus. Holiness finds that it has nothing more to require. God Himself is "the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Romans 3:26. And "whom He justified, them He also glorified." Romans 8:30. Great as is the shame and degradation through sin, even greater will be the honor and exaltation through redeeming love. To human beings striving for conformity to the divine image there is imparted an outlay of heaven's treasure, an excellency of power, that will place them higher than even the angels who have never fallen.  {COL 162.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
I am uneasy about the double use of the "legal standing" phrase.

My understanding of what justification really means is not primarily an adjusted legal standing, but internal renewal and cleansing and a new birth.  Bible examples of this include Psalm 51:7-10 and Titus 3:5-7.  The lesson seems not to have picked up on this angle.

Glen, I understand your concern as there are groups in our church that seem to focus on the "legal" aspect alone and this throws off the rest of their theology. I like reference you gave us and here is one that came to my mind as I read your post.

But forgiveness has a broader meaning than many suppose. When God gives the promise that He “will abundantly pardon,” He adds, as if the meaning of that promise exceeded all that we could comprehend: “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:7-9. God’s forgiveness is not merely a judicial act by which He sets us free from condemnation. It is not only forgiveness for sin, but reclaiming from sin. It is the outflow of redeeming love that transforms the heart. David had the true conception of forgiveness when he prayed, “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” Psalm 51:10. And again he says, “As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us.” Psalm 103:12. {MB 114.1}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 05:55:51 PM »

Sunday October 22

How successful have your efforts in law-keeping been? What should that answer tell you about the futility of trying to be saved by keeping the law?

This is potentially misleading as though  efforts at keeping God's law equates with "trying to be saved by the keeping the law." How easily he could added the 4 words to the first question " in your own strength."  One might reply that the way the first question was phrased implies "in one's own strength." Maybe,  and maybe the questions  imply the futility of putting forth effort or that doing so is attempting salvation by works. Morris Vendon used to say such things. These are the kinds of things that are either negligible or else it is error.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »
Amen, amen, and amen!!

Some may think that the lesson just does not know what they are teaching, but they know very well what they are teaching and what they are teaching against.

These truths being shared are not hard to understand, unless the forbidden fruit has been eaten.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »
As long as the repentant sinner is fully surrendered to Christ, he will be empowered through the indwelling Spirit to keep the law of God. It does not save him, but it reveals he is fully surrendered to Jesus and the Spirit has possession of the heart, the whole heart.

Your comment reminded me of this verse...

Galatians 5:16 KJV  This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »
Amen, Jim. It is such a simple truth found throughout the Bible. It is the power of grace to transform the life at conversion. This is why the new birth is called conversion. There is a radical transformation of character when we are born of the Spirit and become partakers of God's divine nature, even though we still live in these vile sinful bodies.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »

Tuesday October 24
By His Grace

Keeping in mind what we have studied so far about the law and what the law cannot do, read Romans 3:24.

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 

What is Paul saying here? What does it mean that redemption is in Jesus?

Paul is saying what he says throughout Scripture, and what other Bible authors have said, that we are justified in having eternal life because it is God's grace that changes the character of man so that when He surrenders the whole heart to Christ, the Holy Spirit may take possession of the heart and live therein. Thus the righteousness that is found in Christ, a perfect character, is both imputed and imparted to all who receive Him.

What is this idea of “justifying,” as found in the text? The Greek word dikaioo, translated “justify,” may mean “make righteous,” “declare righteous,” or “consider righteous.” The word is built on the same root as dikaiosune, “righteousness,” and the word dikaioma, “righteous requirement.” Hence, there is a close connection between “justification” and “righteousness,” a connection that doesn’t always come through in various translations. We are justified when we are “declared righteous” by God.

"Declared righteous" is not good enough. It leaves the false teachers in control of their false teaching on the gospel. "Being justified" as Paul uses it here, is saying that one is justified in having eternal life. Which means, one has met the conditions of salvation at the moment. Being justified at that moment does not mean one is going to be justified tomorrow, or even in the next hour. Why not?

Is there justification for taking a person to heaven, where there is no sin? Can you imagine allowing sin into heaven? Is God going to change the character of unrepentant sinners when He comes? If not, then will unrepentant sinners be taken to heaven? There is no justification for such a thing. God's government is fair and just. Taking sinners to heaven would be neither fair not just. There is no justification for such a thing.

Then what is the justification for saying one has a title to heaven at a particular point in life? Are there conditions for saying one is justified in having such a title? Yes, there are conditions. What are the conditions to obtain a title to heaven such as was given by Jesus to the thief on the cross when he hung n the cross? Jesus declared him justified in having salvation, that he had met the standard. What is that standard which Christ used to say he was truly justified in going to heaven. And, let me ask and important question, was the thief fit for heaven at the moment Jesus said he was justified to have eternal life?

Before this justification a person is unrighteous and thus unacceptable to God; after justification he or she is regarded as righteous and thus acceptable to Him.

True, but not good enough. It leaves the matter open for the false teacher to lead sinners to perdition. Regarded as righteous has truth, but it says nothing of the "imparted righteousness" which comes when the Holy Spirit takes up residence in the heart of all who will surrender the "whole" heart to Christ.There is not a supposed new creature at conversion, but a creature who has been radically transformed in character because he has become a partaker of God's divine nature when the Holy Spirit came into the heart. Why do not hear this being taught?

Grace is what changes the heart. This may not be ignored when discussing justification. Because some think they can earn heavem, that they can do good on their own without surrendering "all" to Christ, does not mean we forget about the power of grace which is needed before one can be justified in going to heaven.

And this happens only through God’s grace. Grace means favor. When a sinner turns to God for salvation, it is an act of grace to consider or declare that person to be righteous.

No, this is a perversion of what is grace. Grace is love, unmerited love. Favor is not good enough. Neither is it true to say grace is declaring one fit for heaven is who is not fit for heaven. This is not grace, it is a lie.

Grace is the transforming power in the life of the repentant sinner. It this highest form of love that breaks the heart and lays pride in the dust. It is not deserved. When God loves us while we are yet sinners, this is grace. That love does not declare anyone righteous who does not take that grace into the heart. Grace is offered to all, but not all accept it. Only those who give their sinful hearts to Christ will allow the grace to cleanse them from all sin. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9. 

It is unmerited favor, and the believer is justified without any merit of his or her own, without any claim to present to God in his or her own behalf except his or her utter helplessness. The person is justified through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, the redemption that Jesus offers as the sinner’s substitute and surety.

Amen! But, not all are justified in obtaining heaven. What is required must be clearly stated. That grace must be accepted into the heart. Only those who trust Jesus with all they have and all they are will be justified in having salvation. What happens when one is born again of the Spirit? This is the truth being fought against in this quarter's lessons. Much truth will be presented, but not in the context of the repentant sinner having been radically transformed in nature. He becomes a partaker of God's divine nature, thus he has power to keep the law of God. More than this, he will manifest every one of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing as long as he maintains his connection with Christ. As he abides in Christ, so will the Holy Spirit abide in him.

If the connection is broken with Jesus, then the Holy Spirit will not remain in the heart. And if the Holy Spirit is not in the heart, then we have not Christ in the heart. Then where is Jesus? He stands at the door of the heart, knocking, wanting back in. Until we come to repentance by God's grace, are not justified in having life. We only are justified when we have Christ. If we have not the Spirit, we are none of His. "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His." Romand 8:9.

Justification is presented in Romans as a punctiliar act; that is, it happens at a point in time. One moment the sinner is outside, unrighteous, and unaccepted; the next moment, following justification, the person is inside, accepted, and righteous.

Amen! Not just declared righteous. The same is true of sanctification. At one moment the unrepentant sinner is not only not justified, not righteous, but not sanctified either. The next moment, at conversion, when the whole heart has been surrendered to Christ, the person is justified, righteous, and sanctified, holy.

Why add sanctified? Because the false teachers which predominate professing Christianity do not allow for the Christian to be sanctified at conversion. Either it is impossible because we live in sinful flesh, or it will happen at some later point in life, or it will only happen to the 144,000.

The person who is in Christ looks upon justification as a past act, one that took place when he or she surrendered himself or herself fully to Christ. “Being justified” (Rom. 5:1) is, literally, “having been justified.”

Of course, if the justified sinner should fall away and then return to Christ, justification would occur again. Also, if reconversion is considered a daily experience, there is a sense in which justification might be considered a repeating experience.

Amen! "I die daily." We must receive grace continually in order to maintain our conversion experience. We need Jesus continually. If we do not continue to surrender the heart, the whole heart, to Christ, then we are not justified. We are not in a converted state. "Fall away" is not a good description for one who is not fully surrendered. Would we say Peter "fell away" from Christ when he fell into the water? Why was Peter able to walk on water? Why did Peter fall into the water? Why do you sin?. Where is Jesus when you sin a known sin? Did you fall away from Jesus when you sinned? "Fall away" would generally be considered when one goes back into the world for a period of time. When one "falls away" from Christ, generally it would necessity at new baptism. But, when we sin and then truly repent, most all of the time, our true repentance does not demand a new baptism. The foot washing suffices.

With the good news of salvation being so good, what holds people back from accepting it?

There are two things in a person's life that keep him from giving all to Christ. Self is not dead and will not give up pride, and self will not make the sacrifice God asks for. Consider the rich young ruler. Was he willing to sacrifice what was needed? So it is with the unrepentant sinner. He will not give up all he has and all he is. It would be to our hurt not to bring up grace. The sinner is selfish. Then what can change this? What can bring a sinner to repentance? It is not just grace that surrounds us. It is grace seen. It is grace that is allowed into the heart. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating this grace if we want to benefit from it. When it sits on the Book selfish, the grace cannot be seen. What keeps you from spending time with Jesus that you might know Him better? Herein lies the problem for most. They will not take their precious time away from the things of this world to learn of Him who gave all for us.

In your own life, what kinds of things cause you to hold back from all that the Lord promises and offers you?

What keeps you from waking up early in the morning and spending time with Jesus? Is it worth the loss of your soul? Is it worth the loss of your family?

Grace is more than a word. It is the power that transforms sinners into saints. It is by beholding God's grace that we are changed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18 )

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »

Wednesday October 25

The Righteousness of Christ

3:25   Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 

9:5   And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly. 

In Romans 3:25, Paul expounds further on the great news of salvation. He uses a fancy word, propitiation. The Greek word for it, hilasterion, occurs in the New Testament only here and in Hebrews 9:5, where it is translated as “mercy-seat.” As used in Romans 3:25 to describe the offer of justification and redemption through Christ, propitiation seems to represent the fulfillment of all that was typified by the mercy-seat in the Old Testament sanctuary. What this means, then, is that by His sacrificial death, Jesus has been set forth as the means of salvation and is represented as the One providing the propitiation. In short, it means that God did what was needed to save us.

Amen! But we are not all saved even though Christ did all that He might offer the gift to us. Unless we partake of His grace, unless we learn of Him so that we can trust Him with all we are and all we have, we will not be justified to enter heaven.

The text also talks about the “remission of sins.” It is our sins that make us unacceptable to God. We can do nothing of ourselves to cancel our sins. But in the plan of redemption, God has provided a way for these sins to be remitted through faith in Christ’s blood.

Yes, but unless we do something, how can our sins be forgiven. We must first be repentant. How can we be repentant. We cannot of ourselves repent. What can we do so that will repent? Not all will repent. Is there not something I can do in order to come to repentance? Yes, there is. What leads to repentance? The goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance (Romans 2:4). Did we clearly understand the teaching of Romans 2:4? Or did we pass over it?  Well, God is good, then why are not all repentant? What must I do to come to a repentance not to be repented of?

The word for “remission” is the Greek paresis, literally meaning “passing over” or “passing by.” The “passing over” is in no sense an ignoring of sins. God can pass over the sins of the past because Christ has paid the penalty for all people’s sins by His death. Anyone, therefore, who has “faith in His blood” can have his or her sins remitted, for Christ has already died for him or her (1 Cor. 15:3).

Ah....then it is only those who have "faith in His blood" who will have true repentance. How does one obtain this faith in His blood? Is there something I can do to obtain this faith?

Read Romans 3:26, 27.

3:26   To declare, [I say], at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 
 3:27   Where [is] boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 

What point is Paul making here?

Who will be justified in being given eternal life? Those that believeth in Jesus. Sounds like the Evangelicals teaching, "just believe." What does it mean in this verse, "him which believeth in Jesus"? Don't we all in the church believe in Jesus? Then why are we not all justified (converted)? ?What is this "law of faith"? God has given to every man a measure of faith. But, we are not all saved (justified). Why not? What is missing, and now do we get it?

The good news that Paul was eager to share with all who would listen was that there was available to humanity “His [that is, God’s] righteousness,” and that it comes to us, not by works, not by our merit, but by faith in Jesus and what He has done for us.

Because of the Cross of Calvary, God can declare sinners righteous and still be considered just and fair in the eyes of the universe. Satan can point no accusing finger at God, for Heaven has made the supreme sacrifice. Satan had accused God of asking of the human race more than He was willing to give. The Cross refutes this claim.

What does Satan point to when he says God is asking of the human race something? What is God asking of the human race.

Right here on this point of Satan accusing God of asking something from the human race is revealed what will help the church come out from under the great deception. What does God ask of the human race in order that any would be justified in entering heaven?

We are at the end of this week's lesson, but I am going to let others answer this most important question which deals pointedly at the doctrine of justification which has been left out of our lessons this week on justification which is salvation.

Satan, likely, expected God to destroy the world after it sinned; instead, He sent Jesus to save it. What does that tell us about the character of God? How should our knowledge of His character impact how we live? What will you do differently in the next 24 hours directly as a result of knowing what God is like?

Having said that God sent His Son to save us is not going to save anyone. It ought to start things moving, but the Laodicean already knows this and it has not saved him, yet. What must I do in order to benefit from what God has done? I will not benefit from His grace unless it is seen and taken in to the heart.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »

Thursday October 26

Without the Deeds of the Law

“Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law” (Rom. 3:28). Does this mean that if the law doesn’t save us we are not required to obey it? Explain your answer.

Amen. This is the issue. It does not mean we will saved if we do not obey the law of God.

In the historical context, Paul was speaking in Romans 3:28 of law in its broad sense of the system of Judaism. No matter how conscientiously a Jew tried to live under this system, that person could not be justified if he or she failed to accept Jesus as the Messiah.

Romans 3:28 is Paul’s conclusion from his claim that the law of faith excludes boasting. If a man is justified by his own actions, he can boast about it. But when he is justified because Jesus is the object of his faith, then the credit clearly belongs to God, who justified the sinner.

Ellen G. White gives an interesting answer to the question, “What is justification by faith?” She wrote: “It is the work of God in laying the glory of man in the dust, and doing for man that which it is not in his power to do for himself.” - Ellen G. White, Testimonies to Ministers and Gospel Workers, p. 456.

Works of law cannot atone for past sins. Justification cannot be earned. It can be received only by faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ. Therefore, in this sense works of law have nothing to do with justification. To be justified without works means to be justified without there being anything in ourselves to merit justification.

Amen!! We are sinful and can do no good thing until we accept Christ as ruler in our lives.

But many Christians have misunderstood and misapplied this text. They say that all one has to do is to believe, while downplaying works or obedience, even obedience to the moral law. In so doing they completely misread Paul. In the book of Romans and elsewhere, Paul attaches great importance to the keeping of the moral law. Jesus certainly did, as did James and John (Matt. 19:17; Rom. 2:13; James 2:10, 11; Rev. 14:12). Paul’s point is that, although obedience to the law is not the means of justification, the person who is justified by faith still keeps the law of God and, in fact, is the only one who can keep the law. An unregenerate person who has not been justified can never fulfill the requirements of the law.

"The person who is justified by faith still keeps the law of God and, in fact, is the only one who can keep the law." Amen. The person who is truly converted by faith "keeps the law of God."

Why is it so easy to get caught up in the trap of thinking that because the law doesn’t save us, we need not worry about keeping it? Have you ever rationalized away sin by claiming justification by faith? Why is that a very dangerous position? At the same time, where would we be without the promise of salvation, even when tempted to abuse it?

What if we sin? What if we do not keep the law? Does that reveal anything about the heart of one who sins a known sin? Or will we make excuses for our sins, saying that we retain our justification because God knows I don't want to sin?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
Friday October 27

Further Thought: Read Ellen G. White, The Righteousness of Christ in the Law, pp. 236-239; Come and Seek and Find, pp. 331-335; Perfect Obedience Through Christ, pp. 373, 374, in Selected Messages, book 1; “ Things New and Old,” pp. 128, 129, in Christ’s Object Lessons.

“Though the law cannot remit the penalty for sin, but charges the sinner with all his debt, Christ has promised abundant pardon to all who repent, and believe in His mercy. The love of God is extended in abundance to the repenting, believing soul. The brand of sin upon the soul can be effaced only through the blood of the atoning Sacrifice . . . of Him who was equal with the Father. The work of Christ-His life, humiliation, death, and intercession for lost man-magnifies the law, and makes it honorable.” - Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 1, p. 371.

“Christ’s character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned.” - Ellen G. White, Steps to Christ, p. 62.

Amen! God looks upon the truly converted as if they had not sinned. He sees the character of Christ. But, there is another truth that is most always left out. It reveals that at conversion, man is transformed.

The law requires righteousness,—a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God’s holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can “be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” Romans 3:26. { DA 762.2}

“When the Apostle says that we are justified ‘without the deeds of the law,’ he does not speak of the works of faith and grace; for he who does such works, does not believe that he is justified by doing these works. (While doing such works of faith), the believer seeks to be justified (by faith). What the Apostle means by ‘deeds of the law’ are works in which the self-righteous trust as if, by doing them, they were justified and so were righteous on account of their works. In other words, while doing good, they do not seek after righteousness, but they merely wish to boast that they have already obtained righteousness through their works.” - Martin Luther, Commentary on Romans, p. 80.

Discussion Questions:

Read over the texts for this week and then, in your own words, write a paragraph summarizing what they are saying. Share your paragraphs with each other in class.

Read Luther’s quote above. Why would such a truth like this have spurred him on as it did? Why is what he said such a crucial point to understand even for us today?

“Seventh-day Adventists see themselves as heirs of and builders upon the Reformation insights into biblical teaching on justification by grace through faith alone, and restorers and exponents of the fullness, clarity, and balance of the apostolic gospel.” - Ivan T. Blazen, “Salvation,” Handbook of Seventh-day Adventist Theology (Hagerstown, Md.: Review and Herald® Publishing Association, 2000), p. 307. What reasons do we have to believe this about ourselves?

Some may see this, especially those who have gone through "Adventist" education. In seminary there is taught the words of the theologians of ages past. Here enters into the church errors of the past. If we were to look to inspiration only, we would avert a great deal of error. History is beneficial if we learn from it, but theology comes from Scripture. The reformation revealed the error which had come into the church. But, if we want to know the gospel of grace, it is to be from Jesus, Paul, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, and Moses. Here we find no error. Let us not quote man, but God and His Word.