Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 14--3rd Quarter 2017--Boasting in the Cross  (Read 6416 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 14 September 23-29

Boasting in the Cross

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 14--3rd Quarter 2017--Boasting in the Cross
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:53:12 PM »

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Gal. 6:11-18, Rom. 6:1-6, 12:1-8, 2 Cor. 4:10, 5:17, 11:23-29,

Memory Text: “But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world..” Galatians 6:14

This study on Galatians has been intense. That’s because the letter itself is intense. Knowing his calling, knowing the truth of what he preached (after all, as he said numerous times, that truth came from the Lord), Paul wrote with the inspired passion of the Old Testament prophets, of an Isaiah, a Jeremiah, a Hosea. Just as they pleaded with the people of God in their time to turn away from their error, Paul here is doing the same with those in his time.

Ought not we be as passionate about attempting to turn our people "away from their error"? The Words of Jesus to the Laodicean church ought to awaken the church to her error. When Jesus says to repent, and that we as a people are blind to our condition and our error, this ought to cause all in the church great concern. When  conflicting "gospels" are being preached from our pulpits and published on our presses, then why the silence?

No matter how different the immediate circumstances were, in the end the words of Jeremiah could just as easily apply to the Galatians as they did to those in Jeremiah’s day: “Thus saith the LORD, let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: but let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD” (Jer. 9:23, 24).

Nowhere do our “glorious” human wisdom, our riches, and our might appear more clearly in all their futility and vanity than before the Cross of Christ — the focus of Paul’s letter to his erring flock in Galatia.

Amen!  Then we ought to be studying the life, death, and resurrection of Christ that we might know Him who gave all for us and be converted. If we would spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes, we would understand His  lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness." The Laodicean does not rightly understand "righteousness and judgment." It is being incorrectly taught from many pulpits. We praise God for those who are teaching it rightly. But, many in the church remain in a Laodicean condition, which is a lost condition. This is why Jesus says repent.  "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. " Rev. 3:19,20.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
Sunday September 24

Paul’s Own Hand

Compare Paul’s closing remarks in Galatians 6:11-18 to the final remarks he makes in his other letters. In what way is the ending of Galatians similar to and different from them? (See the final remarks in Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and 1 and 2 Thessalonians.)

6:11   Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand. 
 6:12   As many as desire to make a fair show in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. 
 6:13   For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. 
 6:14   But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. 
 6:15   For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. 
 6:16   And as many as walk according to this rule, peace [be] on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. 
 6:17   From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. 
 6:18   Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with your spirit. Amen. 

Paul’s closing remarks are not always uniform, but a number of common elements appear in them: (1) greetings to specific individuals, (2) a final exhortation, (3) a personal signature, and (4) a closing benediction. When these typical features are compared to Paul’s final remarks in Galatians, two significant differences appear.

First, unlike many of Paul’s letters, Galatians contains no personal greetings. Why? As with the absence of the traditional thanksgiving at the beginning of the letter, this is probably a further indication of the strained relationship between Paul and the Galatians. Paul is polite but formal.

Second, we must remember that it was Paul’s custom to dictate his letters to a scribe (Rom. 16:22). Then after finishing, Paul often would take the pen himself and write a few brief words with his own hand to end the letter (1 Cor. 16:21). In Galatians, however, Paul deviates from his practice. When he takes the pen from the scribe, Paul is still so concerned with the circumstances in Galatia that he ends up writing more instead. He simply cannot put the pen down until he pleads with the Galatians once more to turn from their foolish ways.

In Galatians 6:11 Paul stresses that he wrote the letter with large letters. We really don’t know why. Some have speculated that Paul was not referring to the size of the letters but to their misshaped form. They suggest that perhaps Paul’s hands were either so crippled from persecution or gnarled from tent making that he could not form his letters with precision. Others believe his comments provide further evidence of his poor eyesight. Though both views are possible, it seems far less speculative to conclude simply that Paul was intentionally writing with large letters in order to underscore and reemphasize his point, similar to the way we might emphasize an important word or concept by underlining it, putting it in italics, or writing it in CAPITAL LETTERS.

Whatever the reason, Paul certainly wanted the readers to heed his warning and admonitions.

We may take the close of his epistle just as it reads. We know why Paul wrote with such large letters, he suffered eye injury that was not healed. When Jesus revealed Himself on the road to Damascus, Saul (Paul) was blinded. When he could finally see, his vision was not restored wholly. He prayed to be healed completely, but ceased when he realized that it was for his good that he retain this disability. "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Cor. 12:7-10.

When I do not have my glasses at hand, like Paul, I need to see what I am writing in very large letters. My phone allows me to increase the letter size so I can see what I am writing. So it was with the Apostle Paul in writing with his own hand to the Galatians, he had to write very large letters to see what he was writing. It is not good to speculate as to why Paul was writing with large letters. It was not to emphasize what was being said. "Paul had a bodily affliction; his eyesight was bad. He thought that by earnest prayer the difficulty might be removed. But the Lord had His own purpose, and He said to Paul, Speak to Me no more of this matter. My grace is sufficient. It will enable you to bear the infirmity." Vol. 6, Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary, pg 1107.

Let us consider how Paul closes his epistle to the Galatians. What was so important about the message? He would not close without making comment. We see two important matters in his close.

6:14   But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. 
 6:15   For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

These statements need no commentary for any who are not deceived about the gospel. But, those who have all owed false teachers such as we read of in Paul's letter, to blind them to the gospel truth, we need to explain what is said in these two verses.

Paul states that there is nothing in him nor in the world that will attract his attention that he would praise, but the cross of Jesus Christ. He then adds to this thought that it is the sufferings of Christ that has resulted in him dying to the things of this world. His love is for Christ, not for the things this world offers.

He then explains that a false gospel does not offer "anything".  But,  what Jesus offers to all who will surrender the whole heart, is the greatest miracle that God can ever do, transform a sinner into a saint, a new creature in Christ Jesus. There is a radical transformation of character when a sinner repents and becomes a partaker of God's divine nature.  "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4.

If we do not see this as the intent of Paul's labor for the Galatians, then we have been left deep in the deception so widely proclaimed in Christian churches today.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »

Monday September 25

Boasting in the Flesh

Read Galatians 6:12, 13.

12 As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ.
13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.

What is Paul saying in these verses?

The key problem Paul is expressing in these verses is how the attempt to have people be circumcised was really a way of avoiding the truth of the gospel associated with suffering the persecution for the sake of the cross of Christ. Whatever comes in as a false gospel (as it was then in Galatia) ultimately leads away from a genuine glorying in the cross, and leads to a dependence upon flesh rather than the work of the Holy Spirit. Paul is rightly stirred, and we also need to be stirred to action when false gospels are presented that do not emphasize the power of the loveliness of Jesus' experience upon the cross, which, when beheld, has the power to transform us by His Spirit to live lives of full surrender with the outflow of all of the fruits of the Spirit being in the life without one missing. Circumcision then was the way that false teaching became a way of avoiding the truth of the gospel of the all-sufficiency of Christ. Satan is very clever, and often when we read these lessons in Scripture we are liable to fail to make the application to today to ourselves. We live in a time when many would say they believe in Christ, and we may even say we do--but the evidence that we have SAVING faith (rather than trusting to anything else, or even saying we "believe" when our lives deny that) is that the evidence of genuine faith upon the Son of God is the experience of continual union and communion with Him by the indwelling of His Spirit, and He will always reveal Himself in our lives by leading us to reveal all the fruit of the Spirit and gladly obeying every known statute of truth God has revealed to us. Anything short of a full-heart surrender is not genuine faith, and is as much a decoy of true faith as was circumcision in the time of Paul.

Although Paul has hinted previously about the agenda and motivation of his opponents (see Gal. 1:7, 4:17), his remarks in Galatians 6:12, 13 are the first explicit comments he makes about his opponents. He describes them as wanting “to make a fair shew in the flesh." The phrase “a fair shew” in Greek literally means to put on “a good face.” In fact, the word for “face” is the same in Greek as the word for an actor’s mask, and this word was even used figuratively to refer to the role played by an actor. In other words, Paul is saying that these people were like actors seeking the approval of an audience. In a culture based on honor and shame, conformity is essential, and those teaching the errors appear to have been seeking to improve their honor rating before their fellow Jews in Galatia and other Jewish Christians back in Jerusalem.

Is it any different today? Why are false gospels allowed to be published and preached today, even within the Seventh-day Adventist Church? Should not the issue be brought before God's church with such clarity, love, conviction, and decision that those who have been deceived by the false gospels may have the freedom to walk in the light of gospel truth? When someone believes that a new heart still retains pride and selfishness, is it any wonder that these works are manifest in those who profess to be Christians if that is what is taught to be the Christian experience of those who are converted? If we do not elevate the standard to Christ's power to save us from our weak unchristlike selves by continual communion with God, if we fail to realize His grace that surrounds us as thick as the air we breathe, are we not following in the steps of the hypocrisy that was affecting the Galatians--only worse--because we have FAR MORE LIGHT than they did? We can be thankful that God is patient with the erring and loves us enough to reprove us. That is why Paul's ministry to Galatia through this letter is nothing short of a similar equivalent to how Jesus deals with Laodicea today: "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent" (Revelation 3:19). Paul is really calling these erring ones to repent--if they will come to see that their sin needs to be repented of. It is the sin that is not felt or thought to be sin that is most heinous (much like the way Laodicea feels rich, increased with goods, and in need of nothing), because sin that is unrecognized as such will keep the soul separated from God in a lost state, no matter how high a profession one may have.

Paul makes an important point about one of their motives — the desire to avoid persecution. Though persecution can certainly be understood in its more dramatic forms involving physical abuse, it can be just as damaging even in its more “mild” forms of harassment and exclusion. Paul and other fanatical zealots in Judea had once carried out the former type (Gal. 1:13), but the latter also had its effect on Christians.

We are not to seek to avoid persecution if we are converted, abiding Christians. We glory in the privilege of being counted worthy to have fellowship with Christ in His sufferings "For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake" (Philippians 1:29).

The Jewish religious leaders still had significant political influence in many areas. They had the official sanction of Rome; hence, many Jewish believers were eager to maintain good relations with them. By circumcising Gentiles and teaching them to observe the Torah, the troublemakers in Galatia could find a point of common ground with the local Jews. Not only would this allow them to maintain friendly contact with the synagogues, but they could even strengthen their ties with the Jewish believers in Jerusalem, who had a growing suspicion about the work being done with the Gentiles (Acts 21:20, 21). No doubt, too, in one sense their actions could have made their witness to the Jews more effective.

Their actions would not make their witness more effective. When we witness to a greater number of people with a compromised faith, we are doing greater damage to the cause of Christ than if we were faithful and could only reach a few. Be not deceived to think that worldly conformity or cultural conformity in some way can make our witness today "more effective."

Whatever situation Paul has in mind, his meaning is clear: “All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution” (2 Tim. 3:12).

Think through the reason these people had for teaching their errors. It sounds pretty reasonable, all things considered. What should this tell us about how even the “best” of motives can lead us astray if we aren’t careful? When was the last time you ended up doing wrong things for the right motives?

The answer is always the same--and that is that we need Jesus abiding in our hearts moment-by-moment to do any good thing. The proposal of the false teachers does not sound reasonable when we reason from the point of conversion in the understanding of the truth of the gospel, which makes no compromise with sin and cultural conformity as a means of avoiding faithfulness to Christ. The supposed "best" motives of the human heart unrenewed by divine grace are still selfish if they do not spring from a converted, renewed heart. We can only receive that heart by receiving Jesus to abide in the heart by faith when we yield to Him our heart, will, and service. He is the only one who can implant in the heart enmity against sin, and a willingness to remain faithful under the threat of persecution. If we end up doing "wrong things for the right motives," does not this sound like a failure to have continual communion with God and let Him lead and teach us? We need greater simplicity and trust in God's power to keep us from doing foolishness which others may call "wisdom." We need the wisdom from above, not the wisdom of man. "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5).
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:17:29 AM »

In the ESV memory verse the word "whom" has been changed to "which."  Is there a difference. " Whom" refers to a Person. "Which" could refer to an inanimate object. While one might boast in the cross because of the price paid there it is the "whom" that we ultimately boast over.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »

I don't see ANY verses in the KJV that say "boasting" in the cross only "glory in the cross."
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
It surely can mean two different things, cp.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »

Tuesday September 26

Boasting in the Cross (Gal. 6:14)

“But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world” (Gal. 6:14).

Having exposed the motives that prompted some to insist on circumcision, Paul presents his gospel message to the Galatians one final time, though only in summary form. For Paul, the gospel is based on two fundamental tenets: (1) the centrality of the Cross (vs. 14) and (2) the doctrine of justification (vs. 15). In today’s study the focus is on the former.

The verse points out both. Being crucified is being justified. Unless one is dead to self and a new creature, he is not justified in having eternal life.

Living in the twenty-first century, it is difficult to comprehend the shock that Paul’s comments about the Cross (Gal. 6:14) originally conveyed. Today the Cross of Christ is a common and cherished symbol that evokes positive feelings for most people. In Paul’s day, however, the Cross was not something to boast in but something to be despised. Jews found the idea of a crucified Messiah offensive, and Romans found crucifixion so repulsive that it was not even mentioned as a form of punishment suitable for a Roman citizen.

The contempt with which the ancient world looked upon the cross of Christ is clearly seen in the earliest drawing of the crucifixion on record. Dating back to the early second century, a piece of ancient graffiti depicts the crucifixion of a man with the head of a donkey. Below the cross and adjacent to a drawing of a man with his hands raised in worship, an inscription reads, “Alexander worships his god.” The point is clear: the cross of Christ is deemed ridiculous. It is in this context that Paul boldly declares that he can boast in nothing other than the cross of Christ!

What difference did the cross of Christ make in Paul’s relationship to the world? Gal. 6:14, Rom. 6:1-6, 12:1-8, Phil. 3:8.

The cross of Christ changes everything for the believer. It challenges us not only to reevaluate how we view ourselves but also how we relate to the world. The world — this present evil age and all that it entails (1 John 2:16) — stands in opposition to God. Because we have died with Christ, the world no longer has the enslaving power it once held over us, and the old life that we once lived for the world is no longer. Following Paul’s analogy, the break between the believer and the world should be as if the two died to one another.

Yet, we have the author of the lesson relating Romans 7 to the Christian experience. Here he says the old man died, is no longer. This is correct, as long as we continue to abide in Christ and the Spirit in us. As long as we remain fully surrendered, we are dead to self. But, if self gets up and manifests himself, he is no longer justified.

What has the Cross done to affect your relationship to the world? What difference has it made in your life? How differently do you live now than you did before giving yourself to the Lord, who died for you?

It is true that many in the church do not live as they did before. Like Saul, Paul before he was converted, if we are not wholly surrendered to Christ, we may look good on the outside, but the inside is putrid and as a whited sepulcher, Generally a professing of faith does bring outward changes in the life. We go to church on the Sabbath unless others not of our faith. We may even give up eating meat, but not for the right reason if the heart is not fully surrendered. Does the Laodicean condition apply to you, or me, at the present time?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
Wednesday September 27

A New Creation

Having emphasized the centrality of the Cross of Christ to the Christian life, Paul now emphasizes the second fundamental tenet of his gospel message: justification by faith.

As we have seen all quarter, Paul has basically pitted circumcision against the gospel. Yet, he’s not against the practice itself. Paul has made several strong statements against circumcision (see Gal. 5:2-4), but he does not want the Galatians to conclude that being uncircumcised is more pleasing to God than being circumcised. That is not his point, because one can be just as legalistic about what one does as about what one doesn’t do. Spiritually speaking, the issue of circumcision by itself is irrelevant. True religion is rooted less in external behavior and more in the condition of the human heart. As Jesus Himself said, a person can look wonderful on the outside but be spiritually rotten on the inside (Matt. 23:27).

Amen!  And, if the heart is fully given to Christ, then what? Are we changed on the outside also? Yes, but not as some think. Many are truly converted, and they break the fourth commandment out of ignorance. They may even eat animals and drink beer out of ignorance. On the other hand, some who are not truly converted may go to church on the Sabbath, but do not manifest love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. All truly converted have all of these fruits not one is missing, even if they do not understand why. All who are justified will be radically different when they become partakers of God's divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

What does it mean to be a new creation? Gal. 6:15, 2 Cor. 5:17.

5:17   Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Yes, but sadly so many have been falsely instructed and believe they can sin and still be "new creatures."

How have you yourself experienced what this means?

It is not what Romans seven says. If you experience the Romans seven experience you are not a new creature, but the evil old creature manifesting self and sin. "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do." Romans 7:19.

Let's see what the Bible says you will experience if you are converted, abiding in Christ, and a new creature.

Romans 8
 8:2   For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 
 8:3   For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 
 8:4   That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:5   For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 
 8:6   For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 
 8:7   Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 
 8:8   So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 
 8:9   But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 
 8:10   And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness. 
 8:11   But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 
 8:12   Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 
 8:13   For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 
 8:14   For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 

1 John
 3:3   And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. 
 3:4   Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 
 3:5   And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 
 3:6   Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not......... 
 3:7   Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 
 3:8   He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 
 3:9   Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 
 3:10   In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. 
 3:11   For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 

Ktisis is the Greek word translated “creation.” It either can refer to an individual “creature” (Heb. 4:13) or to all of the “created” order itself (Rom. 8:22). In either case, the word implies the action of a Creator. That is Paul’s point. Becoming a “new creature” is not something that can be brought about by any human effort — whether circumcision or anything else. Jesus refers to this process as the “new birth” (John 3:5-8). It is the divine act in which God takes a person who is spiritually dead and breathes spiritual life into him. This is yet another metaphor to describe the saving act that Paul typically describes as justification by faith.

Paul refers to this new creation experience in greater detail in 2 Corinthians 5:17. In this verse, Paul explains that becoming a new creation means far more than just a change in our status in the books of heaven; it brings about a change in our lives today. As Timothy George notes, it “involves the whole process of conversion: the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit leading to repentance and faith, the daily process of mortification and vivification, continual growth in holiness leading to eventual conformity to the image of Christ.” — Galatians, p. 438.

I don't know Timothy George, but I don't agree with his definition of the "new creation experience." He leaves a question in the minds of many Evangelicals and Seventh-day Adventists. He says that the new birth "leads to eventual conformity to the image of Christ." I think that when one learns of Christ to the point he loves Him with "all the heart", then he is conformed to the image of Christ. Is there room for growth? Absolutely! But, where the deception lies, is at the beginning of the Christian life, not at the end. Unless we understand the radical change is a new creature recreated in God's image, we remain deceived about the power of grace to transform sinners when converted.

We do not mean to say that one who is converted will never fall. When have we seen this? I never have. Poor fallible humanity and such great deceptions make is almost impossible for one when converted to even understand then the power of grace to keep from falling, or the gospel message itself. Sadly, like the Jews who put to death their Messiah, Christianity today has been likewise sadly deceived. Jesus changed the thief on the cross before he died. He had been conformed to God's image. "We all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

Becoming a new creature, however, is not what justifies us. This radical change is, instead, the unmistakable manifestation of what it means to be justified.

Amen! And, this radical transformation of nature has to be maintained in the same manner it was initially brought about. We must daily die to self by beholding the loveliness of Jesus. Peter walked on water when he was focused on Jesus, but when he took his eyes off of Jesus, he fell, and so will all who do not maintain their connection with Christ. It takes time to learn this important lesson. And, even when the lesson is learned, we still need to maintain our grasp on Jesus, or else we like Moses will sin even after many years of being reconciled with our Lord.

We will not be separated from our evil flesh until we are by God's grace glorified at the second coming. But, living in fallen flesh is not an excuse for sin. For, when we die to self, we are partakers of God's divine nature and are empowered by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, the third person of the godhead, so that we will not sin. When you believe this, it will be much easier to maintain your conversion experience and thus reflect the character of Christ.

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." The Desire of Ages,  pg 676.

This is what it means to be a "new creature." And, if we are lacking in one of these fruits, then we are lacking a connection with Christ. We need Him so very much! And when we do not have Him, where is He? He is standing that the door of the heart, calling, seeking entrance. What a Savior!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »

Thursday September 28

Final Remarks (Gal. 6:16-18)

6:16   And as many as walk according to this rule, peace [be] on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. 
 6:17   From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. 
 6:18   Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with your spirit. Amen. 

Paul bestows his blessing on those who, he says, “walk according to this rule” (Gal. 6:16). Given the context, what “rule” do you think Paul is talking about?

What is the rule of law? What is rule for the Christian? What must we do in order to enter heaven? Will any who are not repentant enter heaven? No, not one. Then what is the rule we are to walk according to? It is the law of love. The ten commandments are a law of love, are they not? But, while Jesus taught this, He also understood the condition of the Jews who He was attempting to instruct in the light of their gross deception. Poor Peter tried to stop Jesus from going to the cross. Such a deception! On the mount, Jesus taught to people that it was not outward actions that would decide their end, but the heart. So, He also tells us that we are not to judge a man by outward actions. "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment." Matt. 5:21,22.

It is the heart that God's wants, all of it, not 99% of it. Until we make a full heart surrender, we will not be walking according to the rule Paul speaks of. Jesus continues in Matthew:

7:13   Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 
 7:14   Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 
 7:15   Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 
 7:16   Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 
 7:17   Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 
 7:18   A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 
 7:19   Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 
 7:20   Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 

The word translated “rule” literally refers to a straight rod or bar used by masons or carpenters for measuring. The word eventually took on a figurative meaning referring to the rules or standards by which a person evaluates something. For example, when people talk about the New Testament canon, they are referring to the twenty-seven books in the New Testament, which are seen as authoritative for determining both the belief and practice of the church. Therefore, if a teaching does not “measure up” to what is found in these books, it is not accepted.

Who speaks of the New Testament canon? I know some print it, but we use the whole Bible, it is our "rule" we live by. And, when false teachers teach not according to this standard, they lead many astray and delay the coming of Christ. For the last hundred years it has been God's church we are a part of that have been guilty of doing so.

What are the “marks of the Lord Jesus” that Paul bears on his body? What does he mean when he writes that no one should “trouble” him because of them? Might Galatians 6:14 help answer this question? Gal. 6:17, 2 Cor. 4:10, 11:23-29.

The word mark comes from the Greek word stigmata, from which the English word stigma also is derived. Paul may be referring to the common practice of the branding of slaves with the insignia of their master as a form of identification, or to the practice in some mystery religions where a devotee branded himself or herself as a sign of devotion. In any case, “by ‘the marks of the Lord Jesus’ Paul doubtless refers to the scars left upon his body by persecution and hardship (see 2 Cor. 4:10, 11:24-27). His opponents now insist on compelling his Gentile converts to accept the mark of circumcision as a token of their submission to Judaism. But Paul has marks that indicate whose slave he has become, and for him there is no other loyalty than to Christ. . . . The scars Paul had received from his enemies while in the service of his Master spoke most eloquently of his devotion to Christ.” — The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 6, p. 989.

Maybe so, but this commentary is not inspired from what I can tell. As to the "marks" if we do not understand, it is of little consequence in relation to the subject we have been studying this quarter. Let us close our quarter on the all important subject of the power of grace to transform sinners into saints.

What are the “marks,” physical or otherwise, that you have because of your faith in Jesus? In other words, what has your faith cost you?

It is hard to even consider. Yes, I have suffered because of my faith, but what is that compared to the joy I have experienced! My great suffering has come in response to my sins, not my faith. And, in my suffering on account of my faith, I glory knowing it has given me an experience and greater patience. It has caused others to see there is a difference between those who love God supremely and those who do not. We are His witnesses when things go well, but we are better witnesses when things are going badly. Then the world knows there is a God in heaven who can transform us worms into a reflection of Himself. It is the greatest miracle God can do and ever will do!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
Friday September 29

Further Thought: “The cross of Calvary challenges, and will finally vanquish every earthly and hellish power. In the cross all influence centers, and from it all influence goes forth. It is the great center of attraction; for on it Christ gave up His life for the human race. This sacrifice was offered for the purpose of restoring man to his original perfection. Yea, more, it was offered to give him an entire transformation of character, making him more than a conqueror.

“Those who in the strength of Christ overcome the great enemy of God and man, will occupy a position in the heavenly courts above angels who have never fallen.

Christ declares, ‘I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.’ If the cross does not find an influence in its favor, it creates an influence. Through generation succeeding generation, the truth for this time is revealed as present truth. Christ on the cross was the medium whereby mercy and truth met together, and righteousness and peace kissed each other. This is the means that is to move the world (MS 56, 1899).” — Ellen G. White Comments, The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 6, p. 1113.

Discussion Questions:

What significance do you find in the fact that Paul both begins and ends his letter with reference to God’s grace? Compare Gal. 1:3 and 6:18.

1:3   Grace [be] to you and peace from God the Father, and [from] our Lord Jesus Christ, 

He begins and ends his epistles to the Galatians with grace because it is the power that transforms sinners into saints. It is grace at the beginning, grace in the middle, and grace at the end. It is not just a word, but the power that enables you and me to follow the rule laid down by our Savior. Unless we allow that grace to come into the heart, it does no good. Our fallen nature will hold sway until we see His love and let it into the carnal hear. Then Jesus will cleanse the whole heart and make is new. Read with us what God says through the prophet Ezekiel in chapter 36. He is speaking directly to us in our day, for we have brought reproach upon Him. 

36:22   Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not [this] for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 
 36:23   And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 
 36:24   For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 
 36:25   Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 
 36:26   A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 
 36:27   And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

In light of Paul’s statement about having been “crucified . . . to the world” (Gal. 6:14), what relationship should Christians have with the world today? How should Christians relate to issues dealing with the environment, racism, abortion, etc. if they have died to the world?

Will we keep the "green sabbath"? Will we protest all police? Will we make abortion our chief concern and condemn a woman raped by a madman? Are they hard questions? Instead of bringing up these issues, why not address the real issue? What does the Bible say? We are to be in the world, but not of the world? We are to keep the last six of the then commandments, and if we break one, we have the wrong relationship with the world. If we break one, then we to not have Christ in the heart so we break them all. If we do not love man who we can see, how can we love God who we do not see? If we do not love our enemy, then do we really love God supremely? Who is our master? Whom do we serve? Has the world come into my life? Who do I speak of?

How does a person know if he or she has experienced the “new creation” that Paul writes about?

What an important question? If we do not know we are sick, then why would we be seeking a Physician?  When listen to the Words of Jesus, we ought to learn how to tell if we are converted or not. "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked." Rev 3:17.

If we are not keeping God's commandments that we know about, then would that tell us if we had and are experiencing the new birth? Jesus continues speaking to the last church which we are: "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches." Rev. 3:21,22.

Since we are in a state of deception, we ought to go a little further in hopes of making a difference in someone's life. Jesus said in Matt.
 7:16   Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 
 7:17   Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 
 7:18   A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 
 7:19   Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 
 7:20   Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 

In other words, we too may know if we have life by the fruits of the Spirit seen in the life, not one will be missing. "Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance."

Based on what you have learned this quarter, how would you summarize Paul’s views on the following topics: the law, works of law, justification by faith, the old and new covenants, the work of Christ, sanctification, and the nature of the Christian life?

Summary: True religion does not consist in outward behavior alone but in the condition of the heart. When the heart is surrendered to God, a person’s life will more and more reflect the character of Christ as he or she grows in faith. The heart must be subdued by Christ; when that happens, all else will follow.

Amen! But, at the beginning of this experience, when we have fully surrendered the whole heart to Christ, what is the experience of the new Christian? Is it as we read in Romans seven? No, absolutely not. If we are called to teach the gospel, then we ought to teach the gospel so that all may understand the power of grace to transform the life at conversion. As we continue in that experience there will be growth. The fruits of the Spirit that came at conversion will become more abundant. We will become more and more patient, but never impatient as long as we are abiding in Christ and He in us.

We are wholly dependent upon Christ to do any good thing. Without Him we cannot resist the smallest temptation for the right reason. We may be a "whited sepulcher" which appears to be doing right, but inside is a rotten heart that is aligned with Satan and sin. Until we learn of Him who gave all that we might live, we are none of His. We cannot serve two masters, we serve one or the other. If we have not His Spirit and the fruit of the Spirit, we are none of His. "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness." Romans 8:8-10.

We may be filled with the Spirit as Jesus told Nicodemus he must be in order to have life. "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit." Romans 8:1-5.

We do not need to be "whited sepulchers" with putrid carnal hearts. Let us heed the counsel of Paul. We may have the Spirit today if we are willing to give Jesus the whole heart. If we are not ready, then our faith is lacking. God understands. He tells us to learn of Him. Drink His blood and eat His flesh, and then we will fall in love with Him and trust Him with all we have and all we are. We still have a Mediator forgiving our sins and calling us to Himself. He loves us more than we know. Pray for greater faith and your prayers will be answered.