Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 5--3rd Quarter 2017--Old Testament Faith  (Read 5819 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Lesson 5 July 22-28

Old Testament Faith

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Gal. 3:1-14, Rom. 1:2, 4:3, Gen. 15:6, 12:1-3, Lev. 17:11, 2 Cor. 5:21.

Memory Text: "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree."  Galatians 3:13

A little boy had made a little boat, all painted and fixed up beautifully. One day someone stole his boat, and he was distressed. In passing a pawnshop one day he saw his boat. Happily he ran in to the pawnbroker and said, ‘That is my little boat.’ ‘No,’ said the pawnbroker, ‘it is mine, for I bought it.’ ‘Yes,’ said the boy, ‘but it is mine, for I made it.’ ‘Well,’ said the pawnbroker, ‘if you will pay me two dollars, you can have it.’ That was a lot of money for a boy who did not have a penny. Anyway, he resolved to have it; so he cut grass, did chores of all kinds, and soon had his money.

“He ran down to the shop and said, ‘I want my boat.’ He paid the money and received his boat. He took the boat up in his arms, and hugged and kissed it, and said, ‘You dear little boat, I love you. You are mine. You are twice mine. I made you, and now I have bought you.’

“So it is with us. We are, in a sense, twice the Lord’s. He created us, and we got into the devil’s pawnshop. Then Jesus came and bought us at awful cost — not silver and gold, but His precious blood. We are the Lord’s by creation and by redemption.” — William Moses Tidwell, Pointed Illustrations (Kansas City, Mo.: Beacon Hill Press, 1951) p. 97.

Amen! We are indeed His by creation and by purchase at such a great expense. It is by seeing this daily that we will be converted daily. It is the only way we can "be ye therefor perfect" while in these vile sinful bodies. Jesus must have the whole heart, not a portion of it.

The Lord accepts no divided heart. He wants the whole man. He made all there is of man. He offered a complete sacrifice to redeem the body and soul of man. That which He requires of those whom He has created and redeemed is summed up in these words: “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.... Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” Matthew 22:37-39. God will accept nothing less than this.—Special Testimonies On Education, 80-83.  CT 345.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 5--3rd Quarter 2017--Old Testament Faith
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
Sunday July 23

The Foolish Galatians

Read Galatians 3:1-5.

3:1   O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 
 3:2   This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 
 3:3   Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 
 3:4   Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 
 3:5   He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 

Summarize below what Paul is saying to them. In what sense could we be in danger of falling into the same spiritual pitfall, of starting out right and then falling into legalism?

How does one know he is attempting to reach heaven by works? Many are not in danger of falling away, but have never been converted. How do we know the difference between a religion of works and the true religion of salvation by grace? Is there a difference in the character manifested? If the there is, then it appears we must speak of works in some manner?

Several modern translations have tried to capture the sense of Paul’s words in verse 1 about the “foolish” Galatians. The actual word Paul uses in Greek is even stronger than that. The word is anoetoi, and it comes from the word for mind (nous). Literally, it means “mindless.” The Galatians were not thinking. Paul does not stop there; he says that, because they are acting so foolishly, he wonders if some magician has cast a spell on them. “Who has bewitched you?” His choice of words here may even suggest that the ultimate source behind their condition is the devil (2 Cor. 4:4).

Interesting that one who sins a known sin would  be called "foolish" or "mindless". Why would this be? Or maybe it is because one does not repent and continues on playing church? If one remains unrepentant, and believes he has salvation, and pretends to be a faithful Christian, then is this indeed "foolish" or "mindless"?

What baffles Paul so much about the Galatians’ apostasy on the gospel is that they knew salvation was rooted in the Cross of Christ. It was not something that they could have missed. The word translated “portrayed” or “set forth” (KJV) in Galatians 3:1 literally means “placarded” or “painted.” It was used to describe all public proclamations. Paul is saying that the Cross was such a central part of his preaching that the Galatians had, in effect, seen in their mind’s eye Christ crucified (1 Cor. 1:23, 2:2). In a sense, he’s saying that, by their actions, they are turning away from the Cross.

Amen. Sin comes as a result of turning away from Jesus. It does not have to be purposeful, but when we are no longer connected with Christ, how can we be His? How can we walk on water apart from Christ, no matter why the reason. This is contrary to many false gospels being taught in the church.

Paul then contrasts the current experience of the Galatians with how they first came to faith in Christ. He does this by asking them some rhetorical questions. How did they receive the Spirit, meaning how did they first become Christians?

Yes, this can be said to be thus. But, Paul's words are better. Why make the point? Because many have been taught that they are saved when they make a profession of faith. But, in fact we are not Christians in the true sense until we receive the Spirit. If we have not His Spirit, we are none of His. "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." Romans 8:9.

And from a slightly different perspective, Why did God give the Spirit? Was it because they did something to earn it? Certainly not! Instead, it was because they believed the good news of what Christ had already done for them. Having begun so well, what would make them think that now they had to rely upon their own behavior?

How often, if ever, do you find yourself thinking, I’m doing pretty well. I’m a pretty solid Christian, I don’t do this and/or I don’t do that . . . and then, even subtly, thinking you’re somehow good enough to be saved? What’s wrong with that picture?

It is very close to the truth. But, we are to examine ourselves and see if we are indeed in the faith. Read what Paul preached to the Corinthians and compare that with what the lesson is saying. The law is the schoomaster according to Paul. It reveals if we are walking in the flesh or in the Spirit. It cannot save us, but it surely can tell us if we are saved or not. This needs to be clearly understood and clearly taught. Satan has done a masterful job of perverting the gospel truth. We are to search our hearts and ask Jesus if we are sinning. And if we are, then we are to ask Jesus for grace to repent and change our ways. Read what Paul said to the Corinthians:

13:1   This [is] the third [time] I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. 
 13:2   I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time; and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare: 
 13:3   Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you. 
 13:4   For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you. 
 13:5   Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? 
 13:6   But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. 
 13:7   Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates. 
 13:8   For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth. 
 13:9   For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, [even] your perfection. 
 13:10   Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to edification, and not to destruction. 
 13:11   Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
Monday July 24

Grounded in Scripture

So far, in his letter to the Galatians, Paul has defended his gospel of justification by faith by appealing to the agreement reached with the apostles in Jerusalem (Gal. 2:1-10) and to the personal experience of the Galatians themselves (Gal. 3:1-5). Beginning in Galatians 3:6, Paul now turns to the testimony of Scripture for the final and ultimate confirmation of his gospel. In fact, Galatians 3:6-4:31 is made up of progressive arguments rooted in Scripture.

What does Paul mean when he writes about the “Scripture” in Galatians 3:6-8?

He means "saving faith", a faith that trusts God will all we are and all we have.  That faith is revealed in a "new creature" who has a perfect heart before God. He manifests all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing.

Consider Rom. 1:2, 4:3, 9:17.

1:2   (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 
 4:3   For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 
 9:17   For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 

It is important to remember that at the time Paul wrote his letter to the Galatians there was no New Testament. When Paul quotes “Scripture,” he regularly quotes the Old Testament.

The Old Testament Scriptures play a significant role in Paul’s teachings. He does not view them as dead texts but as the authoritative and living Word of God. In 2 Timothy 3:16 he writes, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God.” The word translated “inspiration” is theopneustos. The first part of the word (theo) means “God,” while the second half means “breathed.” Scripture is “God-breathed.” Paul uses the Scripture to demonstrate that Jesus is the promised Messiah (Rom. 1:2), to give instruction in Christian living (Rom. 13:8-10), and to prove the validity of his teachings (Gal. 3:8, 9).

It is difficult to determine exactly how many hundreds of times Paul quotes the Old Testament, but quotes are found throughout all his letters, except his shortest ones, Titus and Philemon.

Read carefully Galatians 3:6-14.

3:6   Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 
 3:7   Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 
 3:8   And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed. 
 3:9   So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. 
 3:10   For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 
 3:11   But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 
 3:12   And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 
 3:13   Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree: 
 3:14   That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Identify the passages Paul quotes from the Old Testament in those verses. What does that tell us about how authoritative the Old Testament was?

Do you at times find yourself thinking that one part of the Bible is more “inspired” than other parts? Given Paul’s statement in 2 Timothy 3:16, what’s the danger of going down that path?

Don't we appreciate all of Scripture? I quote the verse in context:

3:16   All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 
 3:17   That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. 

Don't we by ignoring verses go down that same path of believing we may pick and choose what fits our understanding?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:17:19 AM »
Tuesday July 25

Reckoned as Righteous

Why do you think Paul first appeals to Abraham as he looks to the Scriptures to validate his gospel message? (Gal. 3:6). "Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."

Abraham was a central figure in Judaism. Not only was he the father of the Jewish race, but Jews in Paul’s time also looked to him as the prototype of what a true Jew should be like. Many not only believed that his defining characteristic was his obedience but that God had declared Abraham righteous because of that obedience. After all, Abraham forsook his homeland and family, he accepted circumcision, and he was even willing to sacrifice his son at God’s command. That’s obedience! With their insistence on circumcision, Paul’s opponents certainly argued along these same lines.

Paul, however, turns the tables by appealing to Abraham — nine times in Galatians — as an example of faith instead of law-keeping.

Consider Paul’s quotation of Genesis 15:6. What does it mean when it says that Abraham’s faith was “counted . . . to him for righteousness”? See ( also Rom. 4:3-6, 8-11, 22-24.)

Whereas justification was a metaphor taken from the legal world, the word counted or reckoned is a metaphor drawn from the domain of business. It can mean “to credit” or “to place something to one’s account.” Not only is it used of Abraham in Galatians 3:6, but it occurs another 11 times in connection with the patriarch. Some Bible versions translate it as counted, reckoned, or imputed.

According to Paul’s metaphor, what is placed to our accounts is righteousness. The question is, however, On what basis does God count us as righteous? It surely cannot be on the basis of obedience — despite what Paul’s opponents claimed. No matter what they said about Abraham’s obedience, Scripture says that it was because of Abraham’s faith that God counted him as righteous.

The Bible is clear: Abraham’s obedience was not the ground of his justification; it was, instead, the result. He didn’t do the things he did in order to be justified; he did them because he, already, was justified. Justification leads to obedience, not vice versa.

Amen! It is so very encouraging to have the author place obedience in this lesson. None will be in heaven who were not obedient, but none are saved by their obedience. The evidence of saving faith is obedience to the law of God. That is why when proving who is saved and who is lost in the Investigative Judgment, Jesus uses the law of God as the standard of judgment.

Dwell on what this means — that you are justified not by anything you do but only by what Christ has done for you. Why is that such good news? How can you learn to make that truth your own; that is, to believe it applies to you, personally, no matter your struggles, past and even present?

"You are justified not by anything you do but only by what Christ has done for you." Yes and no. If we do nothing, then we shall be lost. Christ did enough to save the whole world, but the whole world will not be saved. There is more to do than what Christ did. What must I do in order to be saved? I must have "saving faith" in Christ. But, we do not come into the world with saving faith. Then what must I do in order to attain saving faith? We need a Biblical answer.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
Wednesday July 26

The Gospel in the Old Testament

“And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed.” Gal. 3:8.
Paul writes that not only was the gospel preached to Abraham, but it was God who preached it; so, it must have been the true gospel. But when did God preach the gospel to Abraham? Paul’s quotation of Genesis 12:3 indicates he has in mind the covenant that God made with Abraham when He called him in Genesis 12:1-3.

Read Genesis 12:1-3.

12:1   Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee: 
 12:2   And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: 
 12:3   And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

What does this tell us about the nature of the covenant that God made with Abraham?

The basis of God’s covenant with Abraham centered on God’s promises to him. God says to Abraham four times, “I will.” God’s promises to Abraham are amazing because they are completely one-sided. God does all the promising; Abraham promises nothing. This is the opposite of how most people try to relate to God. We usually promise we will serve Him, if only He will do something for us in return. But that is legalism. God did not ask Abraham to promise anything but to accept His promises by faith. Of course, that was no easy task, because Abraham had to learn to trust completely in God and not in himself see ( Genesis 22). The call of Abraham illustrates, therefore, the essence of the gospel, which is salvation by faith.

Salvation by grace through faith. Faith is the hand that grasps the grace that saves. Yes, the covenant was a conditional covenant. Abraham understood he must do his part in order for the promise to be fulfilled. He must believe with the whole heart, not part of it. He must make a full surrender to God, He must love Him with all He was and all he had.  Thus, it is with us. The everlasting covenant promises us a new heart that keeps the law of God, but it is conditioned upon Christ suffering and dying for our sins and our acceptance of that Gift. We must love the Lord thy God with the whole heart.

Some mistakenly conclude that the Bible teaches two ways of salvation. They claim that in Old Testament times salvation was based on keeping the commandments; then, because that did not work very well, God abolished the law and made salvation possible by faith. This could not be farther from the truth. As Paul wrote in Galatians 1:7, there is only one gospel.

What other examples can you find in the Old Testament of salvation by faith alone? See, for instance, Lev. 17:11, Ps. 32:1-5, 2 Sam. 12:1-13, Zech. 3:1-4.

We often hear the phrase “cheap grace.” Yet, it’s a misnomer. Grace isn’t cheap — it’s free (at least for us). But we ruin it when we think that we can add to it by our works or when we think we can use it as an excuse to sin. In your own experience, which one of these two ways are you more inclined to lean toward, and how can you stop?

The only way we can follow the gospel of grace is to learn of Jesus, to allow His grace to come into the heart. Then, we shall have power to love others who despitefully use us. This is evidence of true faith and conversion. From the Book of Matthew:

5:43   Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 
 5:44   But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 
 5:45   That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 
 5:46   For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 
 5:47   And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more [than others]? do not even the publicans so? 
 5:48   Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. 

We do not have the power to do this until we have given the heart fully to Christ. Then we are partakers of God's divine nature and thus have power to do what God asks of us. Then we are indeed perfect even as our Father in heaven is perfect. This means that we walk in the light we have, that our motives are pure and holy. It does not mean we know everything and are ready to go through the time of trouble such as never was. It means the heart has been purified and our motives are perfect toward God and man. We love our enemy.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
Thursday July 27

Redeemed From a Curse (Gal. 3:9-14)

3:9   So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. 
 3:10   For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 
 3:11   But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 
 3:12   And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 
 3:13   Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree: 
 3:14   That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. 

Paul’s opponents were no doubt stunned by his bold words in Galatians 3:10. They certainly did not think themselves to be under a curse; if anything, they expected to be blessed for their obedience. Yet, Paul is unequivocal: “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.”
Paul is contrasting two completely different alternatives: salvation by faith and salvation by works. The covenant blessings and curses outlined in Deuteronomy 27 and 28 were straightforward. Those who obeyed were blessed, those who disobeyed were cursed. That means if a person wants to rely on obedience to the law for acceptance with God, then the whole law needs to be kept.

This was an issue in 1888 when the church was so steeped in preaching the law that they had lost sight of Jesus. Many rejected the gospel message because they were set on defending the law. There is no need to defend the law, it is still there. It reveals sin, and unrepentant sinners will not enter heaven. But, the sinner cannot repent unless he has made a full surrender of His heart to Christ.

There is still the same desire to protect the law against false teachers, but some will reject the plain statement of Scripture in their effort. Listen to Paul in 2 Corinthians:

3:5   Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency [is] of God; 
 3:6   Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 
 3:7   But if the ministration of death, written [and] engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which [glory] was to be done away: 
 3:8   How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 
 3:9   For if the ministration of condemnation [be] glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 
 3:10   For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. 
 3:11   For if that which is done away [was] glorious, much more that which remaineth [is] glorious. 

Since the author is making the point about law keeping, let's take a closer look at Paul's attitude towards the law. "for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." Paul is speaking of the ten commandments here. How do we feel about this? Many will rise up against it. But, we ought not. The law is the school-master that points us to Jesus, it cannot save us. Now, let's go one step further. Faith cannot save us either. It is grace that saves. Paul points us to the Spirit that is life. What is the relationship between grace and the Spirit. Read Romans 8:1-14.

8:1   [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:2   For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 
 8:3   For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 
 8:4   That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:5   For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 
 8:6   For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 
 8:7   Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 
 8:8   So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 
 8:9   But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 
 8:10   And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness. 
 8:11   But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 
 8:12   Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 
 8:13   For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 
 8:14   For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 

We do not have the liberty to pick and choose what we want to follow; nor should we assume that God is willing to overlook a few mistakes here and there. It is all or nothing.

This is, of course, bad news not only for Gentiles but for Paul’s legalistic opponents, as well, because we “all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23). No matter how hard we try to be good, the law can only condemn us as lawbreakers.

How did Christ deliver us from the curse of the law? See Gal. 3:13, 2 Cor. 5:21.

3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree: 
5:21   For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 

Paul introduces another metaphor to explain what God has done for us in Christ. The word redeem means “to buy back.” It was used as the ransom price paid to release hostages or as the price paid to free a slave. Because the wages of sin is death, the curse of failing to keep the law was often a death sentence. The ransom paid for our salvation was not insignificant; it cost God the life of His own Son (John 3:16). Jesus ransomed us from the curse by becoming our sin-bearer (1 Cor. 6:20, 7:23). He voluntarily took our curse upon Himself and suffered in our behalf the full penalty of sin (2 Cor. 5:21).

Dying is only sleep. Jesus had to suffer for the sins of the whole world. The lost will suffer for each sin before they die eternally.

Paul cites Deuteronomy 21:23 as scriptural proof. According to Jewish custom, a person was under God’s curse if, after execution, the body was hung upon a tree. Jesus’ death on the cross was seen as an example of this curse (Acts 5:30, 1 Pet. 2:24).

No wonder, then, that the cross was a stumbling block for some Jews who could not fathom the idea that the Messiah was accursed by God. But this was exactly God’s plan. Yes, the Messiah bore a curse, but it was not His own — it was ours!

Amen! How could the Jews misunderstand? Did they not sacrifice animals for almost 2000 years?  Did not the lambs represent Jesus' suffering and death to pay the price for our sins? Then why did the Jews not understand the sacrifices were not meritorious, but shadows of the reality of the death of Christ?

Are there similar deceptions that have come into the church in our day? Yes, and they are not few. Peter after spending 3 1/2 years with the Son of God still did not know He had to die when heading to Jerusalem to His death. Such a deception! Satan is a  masterful deceiver.  He has had another 2000 years to prepare for our day. What are some of the deceptions he has been successful with in our day?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
Friday July 28

Further Thought: “Upon Christ as our substitute and surety was laid the iniquity of us all. He was counted a transgressor, that He might redeem us from the condemnation of the law. The guilt of every descendant of Adam was pressing upon His heart. The wrath of God against sin, the terrible manifestation of His displeasure because of iniquity, filled the soul of His Son with consternation. All His life Christ had been publishing to a fallen world the good news of the Father’s mercy and pardoning love. Salvation for the chief of sinners was His theme. But now with the terrible weight of guilt He bears, He cannot see the Father’s reconciling face. The withdrawal of the divine countenance from the Saviour in this hour of supreme anguish pierced His heart with a sorrow that can never be fully understood by man. So great was this agony that His physical pain was hardly felt.” — Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 753.

How very sad! That Christ should suffer our punishment! Yet, what a revelation of love! Love for a world that was full of hate and sin. Jesus did not just have to die, but He has to suffer what sinners will suffer who do not repent.

“Luther now entered boldly upon his work as a champion of the truth. His voice was heard from the pulpit in earnest, solemn warning. He set before the people the offensive character of sin, and taught them that it is impossible for man, by his own works, to lessen its guilt or evade its punishment. Nothing but repentance toward God and faith in Christ can save the sinner. The grace of Christ cannot be purchased; it is a free gift. He counseled the people not to buy indulgences, but to look in faith to a crucified Redeemer.” — Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 129.

Amen. Nothing but grace can transform a sinner into a saint. Man cannot change himself, neither can he pay the price for his sin. Without Jesus, we would all be dead.

Discussion Questions:

Even today in our own church, some still have a hard time accepting salvation by faith alone, that God’s grace, through Christ, saves us, apart from our works. What’s behind the hesitancy of some to accept this crucial truth?

Yes, it is true, we still have legalism in the church. But, there is a much greater deception that has taken hold of the majority of pastors and laity alike. We are saved by grace and do not have to keep the law perfectly. Christ's righteousness will cover our sins whether confessed and forsaken or not. Many been taught and believe Romans seven is the converted Christians experience. We do what we ought not, and we don't do what we ought to do.

Paul spoke very strongly about the theological error of salvation by works. What does that tell us about the importance of good theology? Why should we, as a church, stand up, forcefully if need be, when error is being taught among us?

Because souls are being lost every day. False gospels lead Laodiceans to believe they are in a saved condition. The matter is so serious, that we see all kinds of heresies in the church. Who would have believed a hundred years ago that a Seventh-day Adventist would deny a six day creation, much less teach evolution in our schools. Who would have thought unions would be in rebellion against the World Church? Who would have thought we would have drums and jazz in a Seventh-day Adventist Church? Who would have thought we would have abortions in our hospitals? This is the result of ministers not speaking out against false gospels being preached in our pulpits and published on our presses.

What does it mean to "stand up forcefully"? Who quotes Paul about those who bring "another gospel" into the church? I have never once heard Paul being quoted on this. Why not? Seems this lesson would have been a good time to quote him?

Summary: From start to finish in the Christian life, the basis of our salvation is faith in Christ alone. It was because of Abraham’s faith in God’s promises that he was counted as righteous, and that same gift of righteousness is available for anyone today who shares Abraham’s faith. The only reason we are not condemned for our mistakes is that Jesus paid the price for our sins by dying in our place.

"We"?  Many in the church are condemned. Why? Because they have sinned. Why? Because their faith was not enough to keep them from sinning. Why? Many still believe they can sin a known sin and be in a saved condition. Why? Because they have been taught this. How "forceful" shall we be? Why be forceful? Because a sleeping church continues to allow deceptions to abound that are causing the loss of multitudes. And, reproach is brought upon Christ, His Church, and the Bible.

There are some reading this that will rise up against it. So, let me again this week quote enough in context to reveal the truth of what it means to be a converted Christian. I pray that some will have their eyes opened to what it means to have Jesus, to have saving faith. From the Book of Romans:

8:1   There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:2   For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 
 8:3   For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 
 8:4   That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:5   For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 
 8:6   For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 
 8:7   Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 
 8:8   So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 
 8:9   But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 
 8:10   And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness. 
 8:11   But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 
 8:12   Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 
 8:13   For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 
 8:14   For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 

If we walk after the flesh we are under condemnation and we have not His Spirit. And if we have not His Spirit, we are none of His. Jesus does not leave us nor forsake us, but neither is He in the heart of the unrepentant sinner. He stands at the door of the heart knocking, wanting in. Open the door and let Him in.

colporteur

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 05:06:33 AM »

It is often said that " Christ accepts us as we are." This is not true. He does not "accept" us as we are but He "receives " us as we are. Then we must be changed.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 06:36:18 AM »
Yes, cp, there is much effort to pervert the simplicity and power of the gospel. Jesus loves us as we are, He meets us where we are, but we are not saved until we make a full heart surrender to Him. We must love Him with the whole heart before He will take possession of the heart. In order to have eternal life, we must have the Holy Spirit living in the heart. When Jesus is standing at the door of the heart knocking, we do not have salvation. His righteousness does not cover the sins of the unrepentant sinner. The new heart is indeed a new heart that has been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb. "If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin....If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:7,9.

Cp, thank you for sharing this important thought.

ejclark

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 09:16:19 PM »
I found it very interesting that the title of the lesson this week was Old Testament Faith, yet he never once referenced the faith chapter. Would have been perfect in the discussion about Abraham.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
Yes, ej. Abraham's faith was demonstrated. He obeyed God. No other request such as God made of Abraham is seen in Scripture. He asked Abraham to kill his own son. The lesson was not touched on. Maybe before the quarter has ended?

ejclark

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
Yes, ej. Abraham's faith was demonstrated. He obeyed God. No other request such as God made of Abraham is seen in Scripture. He asked Abraham to kill his own son. The lesson was not touched on. Maybe before the quarter has ended?
Nothing personal about your statement here, but I brought this up in class today as I taught. True, God asked Abraham to kill his son, but what was the exact wording?
And how does Hebrews 11:17-19 fit in?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 06:23:04 AM »
As I recall, ej, it was to take thy son and "offer him for a burnt offering."    When I first read this, I could not understand why God would ask this of a father. I did not argue against it, for God is always right. I just could not understand God asking such a horrible thing. It is most horrible. Now, it is the most beautiful portion of the Bible.

It is true that Abraham believed God. He knew that "still small voice". He used human reasoning to think how God could remedy the situation after he killed his son, the son of promise. It was faulty reasoning. His obedience, even to offer of his son, was based upon what all obedience is based upon in the life of the true convert to Christianity, His love and trust of God. Abraham's obedience did not come from self apart from God. No, it was a supernatural power that indwelt Abraham's heart that led to his willingness to obey God. Why do we bring this portion of Scripture to the front? Because we have no other test that comes close to this one. And, what was the point? Why would God ask a father to take his own son's life? And why was not Abraham's faith presented in the lesson? It is the gospel of grace acted out in a most astonishing manner.

ejclark

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 07:33:54 AM »
Hebrews 11:17   By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son. 
 11:18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: 
 11:19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

I think we have to look deeper at this story.
Abraham was used to offering and killing a lamb for his sins and for the sins of his household. Then God asks Abraham to offer Isaac as a burnt offering in the place of a lamb. I believe what Abraham was seeing was that God was telling him that Isaac was to be the Messiah.

Look at the parallels....Isaac was conceived miraculously as Christ was......Abraham believed God would resurrect Isaac after his death, Christ was resurrected after His death.......The Messiah would die, and did die, the death all of us should die for our sins, God was asking Abraham to offer Isaac as a burnt offering, i.e. an offering of a sacrifice for sins.......God had promised Adam and Eve that one day One would come that would crush sin. And the way that sin would be crushed would be that a "Man" in whom was represented as the Lamb, would die for their sin. Abraham knew this promise, Isaac was the "only begotten of promise" to Abraham, same as Christ is the "Only Begotten of promise"...... it was not a very big leap of logic to see that God was designating Isaac to be the Messiah, but it was a very huge leap of faith to accept that to be the reality and offer Isaac as a lamb.....At His death, Christ could not see through the portals of the tomb, but by faith went to the Cross anyway, Abraham could not see through the portals of Isaac as the burnt offering, but by faith believed God would resurrect him.

I believe it is a beautiful picture that if we will have the faith of Christ and Abraham, we too will be able to see through the portals of the tomb of the crucifixion of the "old man", the "carnal nature", and by faith be resurrected to a newness of life in Christ Jesus. Abraham was willing to give up everything and put it on the alter of sacrifice. Are we willing today to give up everything and put it on the alter of sacrifice? Sadly, many are weighed in the balances and found wanting.

It's my prayer that I will be found worthy in the day of judgment and on my record it will be recorded that I indeed sacrificed everything for the cause of Christ, and my sins will be blotted out for all time and eternity. May this be everyone's prayer as well.