Author Topic: Sabbath School Lesson 12--2nd Quarter 2017--The Day of the Lord  (Read 1305 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 12 June 10-16

The Day of the Lord

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Sabbath School Lesson 12--2nd Quarter 2017--The Day of the Lord
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: 2 Pet. 3:1, 2; John 21:15-17; 2 Pet. 3:3-13; Ps. 90:4; Matt. 24:43-51; 2 Pet. 3:14-18.

Memory Text: “Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness.” 2 Peter 3:11

In ages past people who didn’t believe in God were seen as untrustworthy, even potentially dangerous. Why? The idea was simple: if they didn’t believe in God, then they didn’t believe in any future judgment in which they would have to answer before Him for their deeds. Without this incentive, people would have a greater tendency to do wrong.

Though such thinking is rather antiquated (and “politically incorrect”) today, one cannot deny the logic and reason behind it. Of course, many people don’t need the fear of a future judgment in order to do right. But at the same time, the prospect of answering to God could certainly help motivate correct behavior.

As we have seen, Peter was not afraid to warn about the judgment that evildoers would face before God, because the Bible is clear that such a judgment will come. In this context, Peter speaks unambiguously about the end of days, judgment, the second coming of Jesus, and the time that the “elements shall melt with fervent heat” (2 Pet. 3:10). Peter knew that we are all sinners, and thus, with such prospects before us, he asks: “what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness?” (2 Pet. 3:11).

It would appear rather stupid to not be godly when one knows what is waiting for those who are not. But, can fear of the judgment save anyone? No, it cannot. Then what does Peter mean? Is he leading people astray. No. What part does fear of judgment play in the plan of salvation. Read what Jude has to say about the subject.

Then, since fear of a burning judgment cannot save anyone, what can? What must I do in order to avert the soon coming judgment?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of His Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

It would appear rather stupid to not be godly when one knows what is waiting for those who are not. But, can fear of the judgment save anyone? No, it cannot. Then what does Peter mean? Is he leading people astray. No. What part does fear of judgment play in the plan of salvation. Read what Jude has to say about the subject.

Then, since fear of a burning judgment cannot save anyone, what can? What must I do in order to avert the soon coming judgment?

Peter's message is in full harmony with the gospel message throughout Scripture. When a person sees the terror of their sin leading them to perdition, it can awaken in them a sense of need--but it does not lead to genuine repentance, which is truly motivated by only one thing:

Romans 2:4 "Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?"

To avert the soon-coming judgment, I need to behold the loveliness of Jesus--the revelation of the love of God in Christ which has the power (grace) to melt my heart, to inspire me to exercise faith (full surrender) to have the heart cleansed from sin and made new to bear all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. The simplicity of the gospel saves, but the fear of judgment and the sense of the condemnation of the law has a part to play in awakening the sinner to sense the need of a Savior. Only Jesus saves--but we must have Him continually abiding in us, keeping us from the clamors of our fallen nature, in order to remain converted and ready for His soon return. Let us behold Jesus continually!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:52:23 PM »
Sunday June 11

The Line of Authority

Peter warned his readers about the kind of dangerous teachings the church would face. He cautioned against those who, while promising liberty, would lead people back into the bondage of sin, the opposite of the freedom that we have been promised in Christ.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t the only false teaching that would confront the church. Another dangerous one would come. However, before Peter gets to this specific warning, he says something else first.

“This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour” (2 Pet. 3:1, 2). What point is Peter making here about why his readers should listen to what he is writing? See also John 21:15-17.

John 21:15-17
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

Peter had a genuine experience with Jesus, and had been reconverted after his great fall, and thus again become a partaker "of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4) after his sincere repentance. Peter had been given a commission from Jesus to feed the flock of God, and the words he speaks are the word of God, which the Holy Spirit inspired as verily as every other passage of Scripture. God's word cannot change and it calls us to have a genuine experience with Jesus through a full-heart surrender as Peter had.

In 2 Peter 3:1, 2, Peter reminds them of the inspired words that had come before in the “holy prophets.” Thus, he was again pointing them back to the Bible, to the Old Testament. He was reminding them that they had the “sure word of prophecy” (2 Pet. 1:19). He wanted to be clear that their beliefs were grounded in the Word of God. Nothing in the New Testament justifies the idea that the Old Testament was no longer valid or of little importance. On the contrary, it is the testimony of the Old Testament that helps establish the validity of the New and the claims that Peter was making about Jesus.

But there’s more. Peter then asserts a clear line from the “holy prophets” of the Old Testament to his own authority as one of the “apostles of the Lord and Saviour.” He was clear about the calling that he received from the Lord to do what he was doing. No wonder he spoke with such conviction and certainty. He knew the source of his message.

All who wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit spoke with certainty, for the message was not of man, but of God. The same is true of Ellen White, who, as a messenger of the Lord gave the message from God with clarity and power, a message that if received would help lead the church in true revival and reformation. Peter did not conjure up the message whereof we read; it was inspired by God and is His voice to us today. Let us take heed and mix our reading and hearing of this message with genuine faith, full-heart surrender in thankful adoration of Christ who gives us the gift of repentance in turning us away from our sins when we behold His loveless of character.

Why must the Word of God, and not culture or our own judgment or reason, be the ultimate authority in our lives? (After all, why else would we keep the Seventh-day Sabbath other than because of the Word of God?)

The Word of God is none other than the revelation of Jesus Christ, who is "the Word" (John 1:1). If we do not accept His word, and we accept other standards, then we are having another god before Him, and the idols of our day are not as commonly wood and stone, but artifices of man's opinions and imaginations. It is because so much of man's ideas are mingled with the teaching of the Word of God that the effect upon souls is so powerless. Man's teachings are as chaff to the wind. All that is not founded upon Christ and His Word must be swept away. We must recognize that the false gospels in the Seventh-day Adventist Church are based upon man's reasoning, and not the consistent teaching of the Word of God that shows us that sin separates us from God, that salvation is by grace through faith, and that when we have surrendered the heart entirely to Christ, He cleanses and purifies it, keeping our fallen flesh in check by the power of the Holy Spirit, revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one of these fruits is missing. If we sin a known sin, we separate from the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit and would perish in our sin if we did not repent.

Ezekiel 33:12-13
12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.

Thank God that He does not leave us in such a state of wretchedness, but calls us to repent. Verily this is the message of the word of God to us at the present time:

Revelation 3:14-22
14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 07:18:15 AM »
Amen! The Word of God is a revelation of Him who gave all for us while we were yet sinners. What is culture?

Today, "diversity" is the mantra of the world. The various cultures of the world are held in high esteem. Why? Because the world hates the absolutes found in the Bible. Much in modern psychology teaches there is no such thing as guilt. The world is at it was just before the great flood. Evil is said to be good, and good is said to be evil. There is a concerted effort by the world to extol culture in order to put down righteousness and a judgment to come. Some cultures come from a Bible heritage. They have an advantage of correct living, even though their culture has back-slidden. In other words, there is a difference between various cultures. Some are founded upon some very strage practices, yet they are extolled. None are to be looked upon as inferior to another.

Again, this is a pre-meditated plan from below to bring reproach upon Bible religion. Nowhere can this be more clearly seen than in the United Nations.

Even in God's church we find culture being extolled as the reason why we ought to make women rulers over men. As the past president of the Trans-European Division expressed, we must have "parity" between men and women. Why? Because our society demands it and if we do not, we will have a hard time bringing into the church new members.

How far is he willing to go in order to be more successful? Will he then want to baptize homosexuals because his culture demands it? And how is it in the North American Division? Does culture play a part in their decisions to not follow the Word of God and the decisions of the world church?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of His Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:43:42 AM »
Monday June 12

The Scoffers

After seeking to make his readers “mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour” (2 Pet. 3:2), Peter gets into his specific warning. Perhaps, knowing how dangerous this teaching would be, he sought to impress upon it the authority with which he was writing.

Read 2 Peter 3:3, 4.

3:3   Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 
 3:4   And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation. 

What arguments will skeptics of Christ’s return advance?

There’s an important similarity between those who promoted false liberty and those who were expressing skepticism about the Second Coming. The first group walked “after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness” (2 Pet. 2:10); meanwhile, those who were denying the return of Christ were those who were “walking after their own lusts” (2 Pet. 3:3). (It’s not just a coincidence that sinful passions can lead to false teachings, is it?)

Many walking after the flesh are dong battle with God. The make excuses and turn from the truth. We see this coming from the world, and the world in the church. Look at the false gospels making excuses for sin.

The scoffers, he warned, will ask the pointed question, “Where is the promise of his coming?” (2 Pet. 3:4). In doing so, they will challenge the long-standing belief of Christians that Jesus will return to this earth, and soon. After all, especially because he is talking about the last days, these scoffers will bring up the undeniable reality that many Christians have died, and things do indeed continue to go on as they always have.

And, why do professing Christians put off the soon coming of Christ?

On the surface, it’s not an unreasonable question. Even holy Enoch, Ellen G. White wrote, saw that the righteous and the wicked “would go to the dust together, and that this would be their end” (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 85), and he was troubled by it. If even Enoch, who lived before the Flood, struggled with this question, how much more so those living during the thousands of years afterward, and even down to the “last days”?

And what about us today, as Seventh-day Adventists? Our very name promotes the idea of Christ’s second advent. And yet, He still has not come. And yes, we do face the scoffers, just as Peter had predicted we would.

In your own faith experience, how do you deal with the fact that Christ has not returned yet? Bring your answer to class on Sabbath.

When we understand why Christ has not come, it helps in dealing with those who deny His soon coming. There is often a direct relationship between those who say he is not coming soon, and those who keep Him from coming soon. Jesus would have come long ago. What has to happen before He comes? Why has this not been done long ago? Do we blame Babylon? Do we blame the world? Or, does the fault lay with God's church which has not done that which has been entrusted to her. Instead false gospels abound, rebellion ripens, and revival has not come.

What does your Sabbath School teacher say about how to remedy the situation? There will be a remnant in the church who will not deny the truth.

While exalting the “sure word of prophecy” as a safe guide in times of peril, the apostle solemnly warned the church against the torch of false prophecy, which would be uplifted by “false teachers,” who would privily bring in “damnable heresies, even denying the Lord.” These false teachers, arising in the church and accounted true by many of their brethren in the faith, the apostle compared to “wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved forever.” “The latter end is worse with them,” he declared, “than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.”
     Looking down through the ages to the close of time, Peter was inspired to outline conditions that would exist in the world just prior to the second coming of Christ. “There shall come in the last days scoffers,” he wrote, “walking after their own lusts, and saying, Where is the promise of His coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.” But “when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them.” 1 Thessalonians 5:3. Not all, however, would be ensnared by the enemy’s devices. As the end of all things earthly should approach, there would be faithful ones able to discern the signs of the times. While a large number of professing believers would deny their faith by their works, there would be a remnant who would endure to the end.  AA 535.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

Tuesday June 13

A Thousand Years as a Day

In 2 Peter 3:8-10, how does Peter respond to the argument that the scoffers will bring? What does he say that even now can help us to understand why Christ has not yet returned?

Peter responds to the issue of the unchanging nature of the world. He reminds his listeners that it is not true that the world has continued unchanged since creation. (Notice how Peter goes right back to the Word of God as his source and authority.) There was a time of great wickedness, after which God destroyed the world with a Flood (2 Pet. 3:6). And indeed, the Flood brought about a great change to the world, one that remains with us today. Peter then says that the next destruction will be by fire, not water (2 Pet. 3:10).

Peter also wrote, “One day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” (2 Pet. 3:8 ). In saying this, Peter may have been reflecting on the words of Psalm 90:4: “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.” In other words, our conception of time is not like God’s; so, we need to be careful in the judgments we make about time.

From a human perspective, there does seem to be a delay in the return of Christ. But we are looking at things only from our human perspective. From God’s perspective, there is no delay. In fact, Peter is saying that extra time has been granted because God is showing His patience. He does not wish that any should perish (2 Pet. 3:9). The extra time, then, has been allowed to provide opportunity for many to repent.

Amen! God is so very patient. Without repentance there is no salvation, no matter who teachers otherwise. The Laodicean has yet to "repent" (Rev 3:19).   

Yet, warns Peter, God’s patience should not be taken as an opportunity to postpone a decision about Jesus. The day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief in the night. A thief who comes at night probably expects to sneak away unnoticed. But while the day of the Lord will come like a thief, it will certainly be noticed. As Peter says, “the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat” (2 Pet. 3:10). Thus, Peter’s message is like Paul’s: “Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation” (2 Cor. 6:2).

Amen! Why put off til tomorrow what can be done today? On the other hand, repentance is not something we can generate in and of ourselves. Repentance comes from God in response to the acceptance of His grace. How can we accept His grace? We must behold it first. If we are too busy to spend time getting to know God, then spending time with Him so we do not forget Him, then we shall not be brought to repentance. It is the goodness of God that leads to repentance. We must see that goodness each day if we wish to live in a state of continual repentance.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »

Wednesday June 14

So What?

A young man tried to witness to his mother. He told her about the death of Jesus and the promise of His return. He was fairly proud of himself, thinking that he had done quite an eloquent job. When he finished his mini-sermon about Jesus and the Second Coming, his mother looked at him and said: “So what does that have to do with me now?”

Read 2 Peter 3:11-13.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

How does Peter answer the question, “So what does that have to do with me now?” See Matt. 24:43-51.

Because of the reality of the new earth and heaven, because the eternal, unseen world is real and will endure as opposed to the transient things of this world which is passing away, it is of the utmost importance that we live in harmony with the Spirit of God, by having hearts that are renewed by divine grace (converted) so that we can live as citizens of the world to come by faith, serving as ambassadors to reflect Jesus to those around us. We cannot reflect Him if we do not have Him abiding in our hearts today. When Christ comes into the heart, He cleanses it from sin and purifies the thoughts and motives, so that we are enabled to bear fruit to His glory. What fruit? The fruit of the Spirit--love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. Not one will be missing in our lives if we are abiding in Christ.

As we have said, our very name Seventh-day Adventist reveals our belief in the reality of Christ’s return. The teaching is foundational; our whole Christian faith would become meaningless without the return of Christ and all that it promises.

But are we not in danger of becoming like the wicked servant in the parable of Matthew 24:43-51?

Matthew 24:43-51
43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

We might not be doing the specific kind of evil depicted in the parable, but that’s not the point (it is, after all, a parable). Instead, what the parable warns about is that it could become easier to lower our standards, especially regarding how we treat others, and to become more like the world and less fervent in our belief in the Lord’s return.

It is not easier to "lower our standards" if we are beholding Jesus, the ultimate standard, who alone can give us a true motivation for how we treat those around us. If we are appealing merely to selfish motivations for the second coming (be ready so you will get a blessing/reward), rather than helping each person to see their continual need of Jesus abiding in them, and to realize that His love attracts them to Him, then we are not presenting the gospel in verity. Jesus Christ is the center of our faith experience, and when we devolve to a formalism like the evil servant has, in which the way he treats others reveals that Christ is not in the heart, then we need more than a knowledge of how to "do better"--rather, we need to come and see what our sin has done to Christ and see His love for us, so that our hearts are changed (and thus, our behavior will follow).

Sure, now and then we do face those who, with their charts and prophetic calculations, claim to have the date for Christ’s return. But for the most part the danger facing Seventh-day Adventists is not that they are setting dates for Christ’s soon return. Rather, the danger is that as the years pass, the promise of the Second Coming starts to play a much smaller role in our thinking.

Why is this? Many profess to love Christ, but in works deny Him. If our attention is upon the things of this world, then we will speak and think of them. If we are absorbed in the very things that are passing away, then the promise of Jesus and the reality that He wants to live in our hearts today fades in its luster and glory. The lesson does not specify the condition it describes, but it is none other than the Laodicean (lost) condition from which we must individually humble our hearts before God and repent:

Revelation 3:14-22
14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

It is by beholding that we become changed. We will come to love and value what we behold and meditate upon. So where does your mind go when you have some spare moments? Do you think of a promise in God's word, offer up a prayer for those around you, or seek divine guidance continually? Are you thinking of the lovely Jesus? If not, why not? Often it is because we have failed to yoke up with Him in the early morning hours, before the sun waxes hot with the day's cares and responsibilities. If we are learning morning by morning in spending a "thoughtful hour" with Jesus, then we are being changed into His image--the loveliness of character--by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Yes, the longer we are here, the closer we get to the Second Coming. On the other hand, the longer we are here, the easier it is for us to imagine His return as so far away that it really doesn’t impact our daily life. Scripture warns against this kind of complacency. As Peter said, if Jesus is to return, and we are to face judgment, Christians should live lives of holiness and godliness (2 Pet. 3:11). The reality of the Second Coming, whenever it happens, should impact how we live now.

How much does the reality of the Second Coming affect you in your daily life and thinking? What, if anything, does your answer say to you about your life and faith?

As I choose to spend that time with Jesus in the morning, and through the day stay in connection with Him by His Spirit, He is preparing me to stand in the judgment (in progress now) and to be ready for His Second Coming. If I am allowing my mind to wander away from Christ in the day, or to neglect deep communion with Him in the morning, how can I expect that His coming will be my chief delight? inevitably, I will choose Christ or self, and the alluring temptations to self are too strong unless I have Jesus abiding in my heart. Oh, may we come to learn our continual need of Jesus in order to do any good thing--including being ready for His Second Coming and rejoicing in that blessed hope!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:10 PM »
Thursday June 15

A Final Appeal

Peter ends his epistle with a theme that has pervaded it from the start: living holy lives and being careful not to be led astray by “the error of the wicked” (2 Pet. 3:17).

Read 2 Peter 3:14-18.
14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

To whom is Peter appealing, and what is he warning about in this appeal?

Peter is appealing to those who know the Scriptures, including those who have read what Paul was given by the Holy Spirit, warning them that if they fall from grace (abiding in Christ), they are liable to wrest and twist Scripture because of the influence of the wicked. We need to realize the importance of the influences that we allow in our lives--are we surrounding our homes with those who speak faith in the word of God and the Spirit of Prophecy? Are we choosing to only dwell upon that which is elevating, true, and right? When we do not daily spend time with Jesus and have that most blessed "thoughtful hour" with Christ, we neglect the only source of growth in grace--for it is by beholding the loveliness of Jesus, and having His grace ever before us, that we are enabled to overcome every defect in our character and have every excellence developed. We need Christ continually! Let us learn and not turn aside from the promises given us in His word, whereby we are made partakers of the divine nature!

How interesting that Peter ends his epistle with an appeal to the writings of “our beloved brother Paul” (2 Pet. 3:15). Paul also wrote of the need to live at peace while waiting for the second coming of Jesus, and to use the time to develop holy lives (see Rom. 2:4, Rom. 12:18, Phil. 2:12).

The apostle Paul also clearly spoke of how it is that we have peace with God:

Romans 5:1-5
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Do we glory in our tribulations? This goes against the fallen nature of man, but it is the freedom of every Christian--each one whose heart has been cleansed by the atoning blood of Christ and whose life is now filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit through an entire-heart surrender, to know this experience true in his or her own life! Praise God for such blessed truth that transforms us as we behold the loveliness of Jesus!

Also notice the way that Peter’s reference to the writings of Paul shows that Paul’s writings were highly valued early in Christian history. Whether or not Peter is referring to the whole collection of Paul’s writings now found in the New Testament, or only a subset of them, cannot be determined. Nevertheless, Peter’s comments show that Paul’s letters were highly regarded.

Paul's letters were more than highly regarded. They were the word of God. He made this clear in what he was given from God: "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord" (1 Corinthians 14:37).

Finally, Peter comments that Paul’s writings can be misconstrued, just like other Scriptures. The Greek word grapha literally means “writings,” but in this context it clearly means “sacred writings,” such as the books of Moses and the prophets. Here is very early evidence that Paul’s writings had taken on authority, like the authority of the Hebrew Bible.

And considering what we read earlier about false teachers who promise liberty, it’s not hard to imagine people using Paul’s writings about liberty and grace as an excuse for sinful behavior. Paul strongly emphasized righteousness by faith alone (Rom. 3:21, 22), but nothing in his writings gives people a license for sin (see Rom. 6:1-14). Paul himself had to deal with this error in regard to what he had been preaching and teaching about righteousness by faith. Yet, Peter warns, those who twist his writings do so at the risk of “their own destruction” (2 Pet. 3:16).

Amen! But we cannot be set free from sin unless we have surrendered the entire heart to Christ, which has been made conscious of its great need by seeing the sinfulness of sin through the work of the law, showing us our condemnation apart from Christ. We see in Paul's writings the necessity of having the Spirit of God abiding in our hearts to have eternal life. It does not come from a mere profession, but from the the Holy Spirit having full possession of our lives as revealed in Him bearing the fruits of the Spirit in us.Romans 8:9: "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

What are choices you can make right now that can help you to live the kind of life that we have been called to live in Christ Jesus?

I can choose to pray and read the Bible. I can choose to go to bed at an early hour and pray for God to wake me up in the morning so that I can have that "thoughtful hour" with Jesus, and so that by beholding His loveliness of character, I may be transformed into the same image from glory to glory, and reflect Christ to those around me. We can never get away from our continual need of Jesus. The depth of this experience we need to have more fully each day, and so to grow us in this experience, greater trials (blessings in character building) can only be navigated safely when we are abiding in Christ and willing to obey God out of sincere love, rather than sin a known sin and silence the voice of His Spirit from our conscience. Let us look to Jesus and live! If we are not abiding in Christ, let us heed the invitation to invite Him in even now! "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (Revelation 3:20).

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 05:49:32 AM »

Friday June 16

Further Thought: From our perspective, it can seem as if the Second Coming is greatly delayed.

The "Second Coming" has been delayed. There ought never have been a WWI, a WW2, and all of the other wars and disasters since 1888. Jesus wanted to come, but the work entrusted to Seventh-day Adventists has not been done. Instead we find multiple gospels being preached from our pulpits, and rebellion in four divisions. Even as we make this post there is a meeting of the leaders of the rebellion in London. We have a discussion on this in Rebellion Forum "SDA". Request access via email. administrator@remnant-online.org

Jesus obviously knew that we would feel this way, and in some parables He warned against what could happen if we weren’t careful and watchful during this time. Take the parable of the two servants in Matthew 24:45-51 (mentioned in Wednesday’s study). They both expected their master to return. But they reached two different conclusions about his return. One decided he must be ready for the master to return at any time. The other said that the master was delayed, and therefore he took it as an opportunity to act in an evil manner. “Because we know not the exact time of His coming, we are commanded to watch. ‘Blessed are those servants, whom the Lord when He cometh shall find watching.’ Luke 12:37. Those who watch for the Lord’s coming are not waiting in idle expectancy. The expectation of Christ’s coming is to make men fear the Lord, and fear His judgments upon transgression. It is to awaken them to the great sin of rejecting His offers of mercy. Those who are watching for the Lord are purifying their souls by obedience to the truth.” - Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 634.

Many today have been taught otherwise. We hear even in our Sabbath School lessons that the "investigative judgment" is not something to fear, but we ought to rejoice. :(  Such a lie. A Loadicean is being told to not worry, Jesus will stand in their place. Thus, the unconverted are led to believe they do not need to repent, they already have Jesus and are going to escaped judgment while sinning.

Discussion Questions:

In class, discuss your answer to Monday’s question about the Second Coming. What are some ways in which we deal with the fact that Christ has not yet returned? What can we learn from one another’s answers?

Why has the lesson not brought out the truth that we are the reason why Jesus has not yet come. We have delayed His coming. The church has not taken the gospel to the world, but has multiple gospels going out to the world. We have not done that which we ought to have done many years ago. If the church were ready, then Jesus would have come.

What teachings, practices, and beliefs do we hold as Seventh-day Adventists that do not come from culture or reason or tradition but are solely from the Word of God?

"Do we hold". Does this mean what we profess or what we do? It makes no difference. Why? Because even what we teach has been perverted. It is true, this is God's church and the leading edge of truth comes forth from the Seventh-day Adventist Church. No other church has the truth entrusted to us. But, Satan has been at work to pervert it. And, this perversion reaches to the highest levels in the church. It would be good to cleanse the church of false teachers, especially when it comes to leadership in the Sabbath School lessons.

As we saw during the week, Peter linked sinful tendencies and passions with false teaching. The lesson had this statement: “It’s not just a coincidence that sinful passions can lead to false teachings, is it?” Why is it not just a coincidence? What could be the various links between the two?

False teachers are unconverted. Thus we have false teachers teaching new pastors. What do we expect coming from our pastors when many of their teachers are teaching a perverted gospel? And, when those responsible for the quarterly have a perverted gospel, then what do we expect the world church to believe? It is time to wake up as to why Jesus has not come and that we need to have a revival and reformation in the church of God.

Albert Einstein presented to the world the amazing idea that time is not absolute. That is, depending on where you are and how fast you are moving, time in your frame of reference will be different from someone else’s in another frame of reference. The point is, time is something very mysterious, and it acts in ways that we don’t fully understand. How might this idea help us to realize that time for God is not the same as it is for us, especially in the context of Christ’s having not yet returned?

No matter that a thousands years is as a day for God, the bottom line is that Jesus weeps because the suffering and death continues in this world. Why? Why have we not prepared a people to stand in the time of trouble such as never was without a Mediator? Many in the church have no idea what this means. How can this be? Because the editor of the Sabbath School quarterly does not believe this truth. And, so many other leaders in the church do not believe this truth. The teachings entrusted to the Seventh-day Adventist Church have been perverted. Another gospel is being preached by too many in God's church.

Why so strong a response? Because it is time to teach the gospel truth, the gospel that will lead to victory over sin and the soon coming of Jesus. Jesus is not going to come until there is a people who can stand in the day of great trial without a Mediator. Until the gospel is preached to the whole world, Jesus will not come. "The truth for this time embraces the whole gospel. Rightly presented, it will work in man the very changes that will make evident the power of God’s grace upon the heart. It will do a complete work and develop a complete man."  CH 516.

The Lord Jesus is making experiments on human hearts through the exhibition of His mercy and abundant grace. He is effecting transformations so amazing that Satan, with all his triumphant boasting,  with all his confederacy of evil united against God and the laws of His government, stands viewing them as a fortress impregnable to his sophistries and delusions. They are to him an incomprehensible mystery. The angels of God, seraphim and cherubim, the powers commissioned to co-operate with human agencies, look on with astonishment and joy, that fallen men, once children of wrath, are through the training of Christ developing characters after the divine similitude, to be sons and daughters of God, to act an important part in the occupations and pleasures of heaven.
     To His church, Christ has given ample facilities, that He may receive a large revenue of glory from His redeemed, purchased possession. The church, being endowed with the righteousness of Christ, is His depository, in which the wealth of His mercy, His love, His grace, is to appear in full and final display. The declaration in His intercessory prayer, that the Father’s love is as great toward us as toward Himself, the only-begotten Son, and that we shall be with Him where He is, forever one with Christ and the Father, is a marvel to the heavenly host, and it is their great joy. The gift of His Holy Spirit, rich, full, and abundant, is to be to His church as an encompassing wall of fire, which the powers of hell shall not prevail against. In their untainted purity and spotless perfection, Christ looks upon His people as the reward of all His suffering, His humiliation, and His love, and the supplement of His glory,—Christ, the great center from which radiates all glory. “Blessed are they which are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb.”  CET 209.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »
...can fear of the judgment save anyone? No, it cannot. Then what does Peter mean? Is he leading people astray. No. What part does fear of judgment play in the plan of salvation. Read what Jude has to say about the subject.

Memory Text: “Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness.” 2 Peter 3:11

Let me ask this question: COULD the warnings of Noah, had THOSE WARNINGS caused "the fear of the Lord" to come upon his contemporaries, would they not have sought the Remedy, and entered the Ark with Noah and his family? Cannot the "fear" of a burning judgment cause one to cry out, "What must I do to be saved"; or, "What must I do in order to avert the soon coming judgment?" -It worked for those who heeded the warnings of God through Jonah. . .and God sent the fire of His Spirit to cleanse those souls, as they all repented, averting the physical destruction of their great city.

Hebrews 10:26-31
26 ... if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

I'm wondering what part of Hebrews 10:26-31; and, 2 Peter 3:11; among other verses of Scripture, do NOT describe rather clearly something to "fear", sufficiently to "motivate" one  "to avert the soon coming judgment"? Since it is Holy Spirit inspired Scripture that describing that: ...the LORD thy God is a consuming fire..." Deuteronomy 4:24; "...as a consuming fire he shall destroy..." Deuteronomy 9:3; "For our God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:29 --we begin to comprehend that God uses "fear" to give humans a sense of their very real need.

"...the Lord declared unless they [the people in the days of Noah] repented, He would destroy man and beast in 120 years. That probation was granted, but the hearts of men were fully set in them to do evil and at the end of probationary time allotted them, they would not repent, but engaged in all kinds of violence. They were destroyed, but they were impenitent to the very close of probation." 
Ms 171, 1904, par. 6

Warnings are given to mankind for a purpose; the intent being, to awaken them to awareness of an impending confrontation of righteousness in close proximity to evil.

How many thousands, if not millions of humanity through the centuries have destroyed THEMSELVES through suicide because of a lifetime of exercising themselves to have always a conscience FULL to offence toward God, and toward men. The warnings of God are of such magnitude as to work in them to "exercise" themselves:
to have always a conscience VOID to offence toward God, and toward men. Acts 24:16

The class who do not feel grieved over their own spiritual declension, nor mourn over the sins of others, will be left without the seal of God. The Lord commissions His messengers, the men with slaughtering weapons in their hands: “Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at My sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.”

Here we see that the church—the Lord's sanctuary—was the first to feel the stroke of the wrath of God. The ancient men, those to whom God had given great light and who had stood as guardians of the spiritual interests of the people, had betrayed their trust. They had taken the position that we need not look for miracles and the marked manifestation of God's power as in former days. Times have changed. These words strengthen their unbelief, and they say: The Lord will not do good, neither will He do evil. He is too merciful to visit His people in judgment. Thus “Peace and safety” is the cry from men who will never again lift up their voice like a trumpet to show God's people their transgressions and the house of Jacob their sins. These dumb dogs that would not bark are the ones who feel the just vengeance of an offended God. Men, maidens, and little children all perish together.

The abominations for which the faithful ones were sighing and crying were all that could be discerned by finite eyes, but by far the worst sins, those which provoked the jealousy of the pure and holy God, were unrevealed.  5T 211

"...if any cling to sin, then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. At the second advent of Christ, the wicked will be consumed “with the breath of His mouth” and destroyed “with the brightness of His coming.” 2 Thessalonians 2:8. The glory of God that gives life to the righteous will destroy the wicked." 
Humble Hero, p. 41.6
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood is in the body, and circulate there as a vitalizing power... 7T 189.02

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »

Amen, Brother Glen. God does indeed destroy. And think of the last plagues being poured out upon the unrepentant. "Fear" means fear no matter who teaches it does not. There is reason to fear God if we will continue in sin. But, sin will not save, will work a transformation of character, no it has no power to make a sinner a saint. The only way to repent is to see the love of God. We are healed by His "stripes", not out of fear of punishment. Punishment will come, and it will come from fire. There will be suffering, but again, it will not motivate one to die to self. It can lead one to Christ who will then empower the repentant sinner to do works of good.

Thanks for sharing, Glen. Fear means fear. "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matt. 10:28.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
"Fear" means fear no matter who teaches it does not. There is reason to fear God if we will continue in sin. But, sin will not save, will work a transformation of character, no it has no power to make a sinner a saint. The only way to repent is to see the love of God..... "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matt. 10:28.

Brother Richard, I never, ever suggested that sin will save or work a transformation of character in anybody. Every single judgment of God upon mankind, has been witnessed by them as an overwhelming anger, the wrath of God, toward evil. Nahum 1:6 Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.

When John was preaching in the wilderness of Judea, and the Pharisees and Sadducees came to his baptism… This Day With God, p. 197.1

Their motives were not hidden from John, and he met them with the searching inquiry, “Who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?” Had they heard the voice of God speaking to their hearts, they would have given evidence of the fact by bringing forth fruits meet for repentance. No such fruit was seen. They had heard the warning as merely the voice of man. They were charmed with the power and boldness with which John spoke; but the Spirit of God did not send conviction to their hearts, and as a sure result the word spoken did not bring forth fruit unto life eternal.
This Day With God, p. 197.2

Why didn't "the Spirit of God.....send conviction to their hearts"? Frequently, and especially in the Book of Revelation, comes the Holy Spirit’s refrain, "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.”; "as there was a readiness to will, so there may be a performance" 2 Corinthians 8:11 

Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
"

There is reason to fear God if we will continue in sin.
Proverbs 14:26, 27 In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Proverbs 13:13, 14 Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded. The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Infinite Love has cast up a pathway upon which the ransomed of the Lord may pass from earth to heaven. That path is the Son of God. Angel guides are sent to direct our erring feet. Heaven's glorious ladder is let down in every man's path, barring his way to vice and folly. He must trample upon a crucified Redeemer ere he can pass onward to a life of sin. Our heavenly Father's voice is calling us, Come up hither.... The humble, trusting ones are guided and protected in the way of peace. But He who is infinite in wisdom compels none to accept Heaven's most precious gift—compels none to walk in the path which has been cast up at such a cost. Every one is permitted to choose for himself the narrow, shining steep that leads to heaven, or that broader and easier way which ends in death. Our High Calling p. 11
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood is in the body, and circulate there as a vitalizing power... 7T 189.02