Author Topic: Sabbath School Lesson 10--2nd Quarter 2017--Prophecy and Scripture  (Read 5597 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Lesson 10 May 27-June 2

Prophecy and Scripture

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Isa. 53:1-12; Dan. 7:13, 14; 2 Pet. 1:16-20; Matt. 17:1-6; 2 Tim. 3:15-17.

Memory Text: “We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts.” 2 Peter 1:19

As we continue to study the letters of Peter, one point should stand out: how confident and how certain Peter is in what he is writing. We can see the same with Paul: clear and firm conviction about what they are proclaiming in regard to Jesus Christ and the Cross.

Amen! We too, ought to be so sure about what we have seen and what we proclaim. Do we believe with the whole heart? If not, how can we arrive at the same point as did Peter and Paul?

In the texts for this week, we will see more of this certainty in Peter. And he even tells us why he has such certainty. We don’t believe, he said, “cunningly devised fables” (2 Pet. 1:16)-such as those that comprised the pagan religions of their time. Instead, Peter was sure of what he believed in, for two reasons.

First, he was an eyewitness to “our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Pet. 1:16). But second, and perhaps even more important (because almost everyone else will not be an eyewitness), is the “sure word of prophecy” (2 Pet. 1:19). Peter again goes back to the Bible, pointing to the Scriptures for the certain affirmation of Jesus, especially the prophetic sections that talked about Him. No doubt these are some of the same sections that Jesus referred to regarding Himself (Matt. 26:54, Luke 24:27). So if Jesus and Peter took the Bible this seriously, how dare we do otherwise ourselves?

Why would any Christian not take the Bible seriously? Why would anyone put culture above Scripture? Is the culture you live in having an effect on the interpretation of Scripture? What can you do to resist this?

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, June 3.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Sabbath School Lesson 10--2nd Quarter 2017--Prophecy and Scripture
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »
Sunday May 28
Jesus in the Old Testament

All through his epistles, Peter writes with a sense of certainty. He knows what he is talking about because he knows whom he is talking about. And one reason is that he knows that Jesus was the One to whom the Old Testament prophets pointed. It was Peter’s trust in the Written Word that helped him know the Word “made flesh” (John 1:14).

In 1 Peter 1:10-12, Peter points his readers to the Hebrew Bible, to the prophets of old, and what they taught about Jesus.

1:10   Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace [that should come] unto you: 
 1:11   Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. 
 1:12   Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. 

According to Peter, the Holy Spirit revealed in the Old Testament two crucial truths about Jesus: the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories that would follow (1 Pet. 1:11). These two strands can be found throughout the Hebrew Bible.

It is interesting and sad to see that even today the Jews reject the verses that reveal the suffering of their Messiah.

What do these texts together teach about what the Old Testament predicted concerning Jesus? Psalm 22; Isa. 53:1-12; Zech. 12:10, 13:7; Jer. 33:14, 15; Dan. 7:13, 14.

22:1   To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? [why art thou so] far from helping me, [and from] the words of my roaring? 
 22:2   O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. 
 22:3   But thou [art] holy, [O thou] that inhabitest the praises of Israel. 
 22:4   Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them. 
 22:5   They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded. 
 22:6   But I [am] a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. 
 22:7   All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, [saying], 
 22:8   He trusted on the LORD [that] he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him. 
 22:9   But thou [art] he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope [when I was] upon my mother's breasts. 
 22:10   I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou [art] my God from my mother's belly. 
 22:11   Be not far from me; for trouble [is] near; for [there is] none to help. 
 22:12   Many bulls have compassed me: strong [bulls] of Bashan have beset me round. 
 22:13   They gaped upon me [with] their mouths, [as] a ravening and a roaring lion. 
 22:14   I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. 
 22:15   My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death. 
 22:16   For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. 
 22:17   I may tell all my bones: they look [and] stare upon me. 
 22:18   They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. 
 22:19   But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me. 
 22:20   Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog. 
 22:21   Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns. 
 22:22   I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee. 
 22:23   Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel. 
 22:24   For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard. 
 22:25   My praise [shall be] of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him. 
 22:26   The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. 
 22:27   All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee. 
 22:28   For the kingdom [is] the LORD'S: and he [is] the governor among the nations. 
 22:29   All [they that be] fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul. 
 22:30   A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation. 
 22:31   They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done [this]. 

53:1   Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 
 53:2   For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him. 
 53:3   He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 
 53:4   Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 
 53:5   But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 
 53:6   All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 
 53:7   He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 
 53:8   He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 
 53:9   And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth. 
 53:10   Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 
 53:11   He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 
 53:12   Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. 

12:10   And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for [his] only [son], and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for [his] firstborn. 

13:7   Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man [that is] my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones. 

33:14   Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah. 
 33:15   In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. 

7:13   I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. 
 7:14   And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion [is] an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom [that] which shall not be destroyed. 

In 1 Peter 1:10-12, Peter assures his readers that they occupy a very special place in salvation history. To them had been revealed much more than what was revealed to the prophets of old. The prophets indeed spoke to their own times, but crucial parts of their messages would not be fulfilled until the coming of Christ.

Some of what the prophets had predicted had come true only in the time in which Peter’s readers were then living. These readers were able to hear from those “that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven,” truths that even the angels desired to know (1 Pet. 1:12). Having had the gospel preached to them, the people knew in much more detail than did the prophets of old the reality and nature of the Redeemer’s suffering and humiliation. Of course, they will have to wait, as will we, for “the glory that should follow” (1 Pet. 1:11). With the first part of those prophecies fulfilled, we can be certain about the last part, as well.

What biblical promises have you seen fulfilled in your life? Which ones are you still waiting for, what do they mean to you, and how can you learn to hold on to them, no matter what?

There are some wonderful promises to be fulfilled in our time. The one most wanted is the soon coming of Jesus. But, these promises are swallowed up in the one most important: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." Ezekiel 36:25-27.
If these promises are not fulfilled in my life or our life, then the second coming of Jesus will be a terror, not a joy. Since they are God's promises, why are not all saved? Is there something I must do in order to claim them? If so, what must I do?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
Monday May 29
Eyewitnesses of Majesty

Read 2 Peter 1:16-18.

1:16   For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 
 1:17   For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. 
 1:18   And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. 

What other evidence does Peter say he has for his faith in Jesus?

Besides the prophetic word, Peter was an eyewitness to many of the things that he preached about. Christianity, he said, is not founded on “cunningly devised fables” (2 Pet. 1:16), but on real events that happened in history-events that he himself had witnessed.

In the Gospels, Peter was there for many of the pivotal events in the life and ministry of Jesus. He was there for the preaching, the teaching, and the miracles. From the early miracle of the fish (Luke 5:4-6) to seeing Jesus in Galilee after His resurrection (John 21:15), Peter was an eyewitness to so much of what happened.

In 2 Peter 1:17, 18, what event did Peter especially focus on regarding what he had personally seen? What was the special significance of that event?

He saw Christ glorified and he heard the voice of the Father. He also saw two fallen humans, one which has been translated, and the other who was raised from the grave. He then heard the voice of God the Father. Who else has seen or heard these events?

Have you heard the "still small voice" of God?

Peter highlights one specific eyewitness event: the transfiguration of Jesus. Jesus had taken Peter, James, and John with Him to the top of a mountain in order to pray (Luke 9:28). While there with them He became transformed before their eyes. His face shone, and His clothes became dazzling white (Matt. 17:2, Luke 9:29). He was joined by Moses and Elijah, and a voice from heaven said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Matt. 17:5).

Peter had seen a lot in his time with Jesus; yet, this incident stands out. It reveals Jesus to be the Son of God, that His time on earth was spent according to God’s plan, and that He had a very special relationship with the Father. Even with all that Peter had seen or would see, this event-which included “this voice which came from heaven” (2 Pet. 1:18)-was the one that he focused on in this letter.

Think about what event or events have made a deep and lasting impression on your spiritual life and faith. What was it, how did it impact you, and what does it still mean to you today? Why do you think it had the impact that it did? Share your answers in class on Sabbath.

There are many events that take place in the lives of those who are truly converted. The greatest that ought to have the most convincing impact upon us is the fact that we are "new creatures", the old things have passes away. There is no greater evidence of the power of God than the transformation of nature that takes place when one surrenders the whole heart to Christ. The battle with self is the greatest battle we shall ever have to fight.

Why does God leave the converted Christian in this world, since he is fit for heaven? One of the most important reasons is that we are to witness to this power. How do we do that? We are a reflection of the character of Christ. Worldlings are amazed at the difference they see in many who are truly converted. We read of this in the Bible also. The witness is powerful to the pulling down of Satan's strongholds. Many fail to understand the power of grace to transform the life at conversion.

The part man has to act in the salvation of the soul is to believe on Jesus Christ as a perfect Redeemer, not for some other man, but for his own self. He is to trust, to love, to fear the God of heaven. There is a certain work to be accomplished. Man must be delivered from the power of sin. He must be made perfect in every good work. In doing the words of Christ is his only assurance that his house is built upon the solid foundation. To hear, to say, to preach, and not to do the words of Christ is building upon the sand.

Those who do the words of Christ will perfect a Christian character, because Christ’s will is their will. Thus is Christ formed within, the hope of glory. They are beholding, as in a glass, the glory of God. By our making Christ the subject of meditation, He will become the subject of conversation; and by beholding, we will actually be changed into the same image, from glory to glory, even by the Spirit of the Lord. Man, fallen man, may be transformed by the renewing of the mind, so that he can “prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” How does he prove this? By the Holy Spirit taking possession of his mind, spirit, heart, and character. Where does the proving come in? “We are made a spectacle to the world, and to angels, and to men” ( 1 Corinthians 4:9).  YRP 50.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
Tuesday May 30
The Morning Star in Our Hearts

“We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts.” 2 Pet. 1:19.
Read this text carefully. What is Peter saying that is so important to us, even today?

Here, as we can see in many places in the Bible (Gen. 1:4, John 1:5, Isa. 5:20, Eph. 5:8), a division is made between light and darkness. For Peter the Word of God shone like a light in a “dark” place (some translate the word dark as “squalid,” “dirty,” as well). That’s why he’s so clear that we need to take “heed” to that light, to follow it until “the day dawns and the morning star rises in [our] hearts.” We are fallen beings, living in a fallen and dark world. We need the supernatural power of God to lead us out of this darkness and to the light, and that light is Jesus.

Amen!  If we will come to Jesus just as we are, learn of Him who gave all for us, then when we give Him the whole heart, His power will be seen in our lives.

Peter is pointing his readers to a goal. Some believe that the expression “until the day dawns” refers to the second coming of Jesus. Though that’s certainly our ultimate hope, the idea of the “morning star” rising in your hearts sounds more immediate and more personal. The “morning star” refers to Jesus (Rev. 2:28, 22:16). His rising in their hearts seems to be about knowing Jesus, fully taking hold of Him and experiencing the reality of the living Christ in their own individual lives. Jesus shouldn’t be just a doctrinal truth; He should be the center of our existence and source of our hope and faith. So Peter is establishing a clear link between studying the Word of God and having a saving relationship with Jesus, the “morning star.”

Amen! His sacrifice does us no good if we will not die to self. We must make a full surrender and then cling to Jesus if we hope for salvation.

And of course, with the light shining in us, we will spread it to others. “The whole earth is to be illuminated with the glory of God’s truth. The light is to shine to all lands and all peoples. And it is from those who have received the light that it is to shine forth. The day-star has risen upon us, and we are to flash its light upon the pathway of those in darkness.” - Ellen G. White, Christian Experience and Teachings of Ellen G. White, p. 220.

How does your own study of the Word help you to come to know Jesus better?

By beholding we become changed (2 Cor. 3:18).

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »
Wednesday May 31
The More Sure Word of Prophecy

Read 2 Peter 1:19-21.

1:19   We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 
 1:20   Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 
 1:21   For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. 

To what prophecies is Peter referring? What does he mean when he says that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation?

He is speaking of all prophecy. And, all of the false teachers who rely upon human wisdom have been deceived. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. A Laodicean will have a hard time understanding spiritual things because he remains separated from God and is resisting the Holy Spirit.

In stressing that Christianity is not based on cunningly devised fables (2 Pet. 1:16), Peter offers up two lines of evidence: first, eyewitnesses (2 Pet. 1:16-18); second, the prophecies of Scripture (2 Pet. 1:19-21), an argument he used earlier (1 Pet. 1:10-12).

Peter also states that “no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” (2 Pet. 1:20). In saying this, Peter is not forbidding us to study Scripture for ourselves. That would be very far from the thoughts of the one who said, in 1 Peter 1:13, “gird up the loins of your mind” (KJV) or “prepare your minds for action” (NRSV). Nor would it be said by one who commended the prophets of old for their diligent searching after the meaning of the prophecies that they had been given (1 Pet. 1:10).

Then what did Peter mean? The New Testament church progressed together and studied together. Christians were part of a larger body (1 Cor. 12:12-14). And Peter here was warning against the kind of study in which one rejects any insight from the community of believers. In interacting with others we can grow together as a community. The Spirit works with the community and the individuals in it. Insights can be shared, refined, and deepened. But the one who works alone, refusing input from others, is likely to come to wrong interpretations, especially with something like prophecy.

Yes, and no. It is the Bible that interprets itself. It is not human wisdom. There is safety in a multitude of counselors, and God's sends teachers, but it is the Bible and the Holy Spirit that confirms the truth. The true teacher sent of God points all to the Bible and Jesus. But, He does indeed listen to those who disagree. We are erring mortals. It is only God who is never wrong. This does not mean we are to teach error. We ought to only present truth that we know from Scripture is true.

God is not pleased when we pervert the truth by teaching that which He has not spoken, such as did Job. He reproved Job and told him to "gird up his loins" also. "Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me." Job 38:1-3.

In the next verses we find a good reason for Peter to make this observation. He is writing to Christians who have among them false prophets and false teachers (2 Pet. 2:1). Peter is urging them to submit their interpretation of Scripture to the leading of the church as a whole. How many people have drifted off into fanaticism and error because they refused to heed the counsel of a Spirit-led community of believers? It was a danger back then, and it remains one today.

Yes, but the great danger is coming from false teachers. Our only hope is to have a real living connection with Christ, or we shall continue on in a Laodicean condition trusting in those who are miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked. Turn to Scripture, not the wisdom of man. Listen to what Jesus to us today:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 

Cease listening to false teachers explain what this means. Study to show yourselves approved of God. This prophecy did not come from man, but through a prophet sent of God. If you have trouble understanding this simple message, turn to Scripture for an interpretation. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned, but all may know what Jesus means when He says "repent". Quit seeking wisdom from erring man. Turn to Christ, learn of Him, and be saved.

Why is it so important to be open to the counsel and advice of the church at large? At the same time, what are the limits on how far we should go in submitting to others?

The safety in a multitude of counselors is to be qualified. The counselors are those who are converted, those who manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit. Take a look at Israel if you want to learn a lesson about deceptions in the church. The same exists today. God sends teachers. This is God's church, not because it is perfect, it is not. It remains in a lost condition, but it will see revival and reformation. It is God's church just as Israel was God's nation before it was cut off. It, as we, have been entrusted with God's sacred oracles. Heresies have been allowed to come into the church so that His people may know who is teaching the truth. Things have become so bad, that even the blind may know there is a problem, and turn from the false teachers who have not the Spirit of God, and who are following cunningly devised fables and the culture of the world.

How can the church know the true from the false? Listen to Jesus. Study His Word.

7:14   Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 
 7:15   Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 
 7:16   Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 
 7:17   Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 
 7:18   A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 
 7:19   Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 
 7:20   Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 

What fruits is Jesus speaking of? The fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. They are all in the life of those who are in a converted state. If they are not there, then the heart is not pure and holy, it is not filled with the Holy Spirit. We must be born of the Spirit if we are to enter heaven. And when we are born of the Spirit, we are filled with the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing. "When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." Desire of Ages pg 676.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »

Thursday June 1
The Word in Our Lives

As we have seen, Peter placed great emphasis on the Holy Scriptures. Second Peter 1:19-21 is a powerful affirmation of the importance of the Bible to our Christian experience and to the divine inspiration of the Scriptures. His point is clear in 2 Peter 1:21. The Bible is not the product of human will, human devising, like other books. It is a book produced through the power of the Holy Spirit working through “holy men of God.”

Read 2 Timothy 3:15-17.

3:15   And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 
 3:16   All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 
 3:17   That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. 

How do these texts help us to understand the role of Scripture in our lives? How do they enforce the truth of 2 Peter 1:19-21?

It would be good to prayerfully consider each verse. In each verse is truth that needs to be understood and accepted.

After warning Timothy about the dangers facing him and the church, Paul gives a brief outline of the importance of Scripture. “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Tim. 3:16).

Let’s look at these three points.

Doctrine: Doctrines are the teachings of the church. They express the beliefs of the community on various biblical topics deemed important in the Word of God. Ideally, each doctrine should be Christ-centered, and each should teach us something that helps us know how to live in accordance with the “perfect will of God” (Rom. 12:2, ASV).

Guidance: Paul tells Timothy that Scripture is profitable for “reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Tim. 3:16). Peter makes a similar point when he says that the prophecy in Scripture is like a lamp that is shining in a dark place (2 Pet. 1:19). In other words, Scripture provides guidance in how we should live our lives and in what is right and wrong conduct. Inspired by the Holy Spirit, Scripture is nothing less than the revealed will of God.

“Wise unto Salvation”: When he says that Scripture makes us “wise unto salvation” (2 Tim. 3:15), Paul is pointing out that Scripture points us to Jesus. Salvation is built on the belief that Jesus has died for our sins.

Doctrine, moral guidance, the knowledge of salvation: no wonder the Word of God is like “a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts.” (2 Pet. 1:19).

Amen! It is the Word that is our guide, and the Holy Spirit is the One who opens our minds to the truth. "Culture" is often antagonistic to the truth. Yet, so many extol the virtues of culture above the culture of Christ and His Word. There is a separation taking place in the world and in the church. Let us cling to
Christ that we might be found on the right side.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
Friday June 2

Further Thought: “It is the first and highest duty of every rational being to learn from the Scriptures what is truth, and then to walk in the light and encourage others to follow his example. We should day by day study the Bible diligently, weighing every thought and comparing scripture with scripture. With divine help we are to form our opinions for ourselves as we are to answer for ourselves before God.

“The truths most plainly revealed in the Bible have been involved in doubt and darkness by learned men, who, with a pretense of great wisdom, teach that the Scriptures have a mystical, a secret, spiritual meaning not apparent in the language employed. These men are false teachers. It was to such a class that Jesus declared: ‘Ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God.’ Mark 12:24. The language of the Bible should be explained according to its obvious meaning, unless a symbol or figure is employed. Christ has given the promise: ‘If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine.’ John 7:17. If men would but take the Bible as it reads, if there were no false teachers to mislead and confuse their minds, a work would be accomplished that would make angels glad and that would bring into the fold of Christ thousands upon thousands who are now wandering in error.” - Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, pp. 598, 599.

Discussion Questions:

What other crucial principles are involved in seeking to come to a clear understanding of Scripture?
    Martin Luther wrote that, “Scripture is its own light.” By that he meant that there’s an underlying unity in the Bible and that one part can be used to help us to understand other parts. What are some examples of this principle that you can find?
    In class go over your answer to Monday’s question about the event or events that greatly impacted your Christian experience. What do the events have in common, if anything? What can you learn from one another’s experiences?
    If someone were to ask you how studying the Bible can deepen your walk with the Lord, what would you answer?

What does the Bible say?  Jesus is the Word made flesh. If we want to know Him, we will learn of Him by reading the Bible. If we want to be converted (saved), it is by beholding Him that we can trust Him. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word.

Do you notice a difference in your life when you spend a thoughtful hour in the morning studying the life of Christ? If so, why?

What principles have you learned from your own experience of seeking to know the Lord Jesus through study of His Written Word?

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:01 AM »

Doctrine: Doctrines are the teachings of the church. They express the beliefs of the community on various biblical topics deemed important in the Word of God.

A note of caution, here: One can say, "Let’s look at these three points. Doctrine: Doctrines are the teachings of the church." and realize that even the Catholic Church can use these words; however, Galatians 1: 8, 9 expressively declares, But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. I would rather we focus on the "doctrine/s" of Jesus Christ. Again, The Catholic Church would have Protestantism understand that SHE has the monopoly on "Guidance", to make one "“Wise unto Salvation”.

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 05:26:48 AM »
Jesus is the Word made flesh.

The prayer of the Jesus Christ, the WORD, to the Father is: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. John 17:23

God can and will do a great work for every human being who will open the heart to the word of God, and let it enter the soul-temple and expel every idol. Summoned to the effort, mind and heart take in the wonderful disclosures of the revealed will of God. The soul that is converted will be made stronger to resist evil. In the study of the Bible the converted soul eats the flesh and drinks the blood of the Son of God, which He himself interprets as the receiving and doing of His words, that are spirit and life. The Word is made flesh, and dwells among us, in those who receive the holy precepts of the word of God. The Saviour of the world has left a holy, pure example for all men. It illuminates, uplifts, and brings immortality to all who obey the divine requirements.
Fundamentals of Christian Education, Page 378

The children of God are called to be representatives of Christ, showing forth the goodness and mercy of the Lord. As Jesus has revealed to us the true character of the Father, so we are to reveal Christ to a world that does not know His tender, pitying love. “As Thou hast sent Me into the world,” said Jesus, “even so have I also sent them into the world.” “I in them, and Thou in Me; ... that the world may know that Thou hast sent Me.” John 17:18, 23. The apostle Paul says to the disciples of Jesus, “Ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ,” “known and read of all men.” 2 Corinthians 3:3, 2. In every one of His children, Jesus sends a letter to the world. If you are Christ's follower, He sends in you a letter to the family, the village, the street, where you live. Jesus, dwelling in you, desires to speak to the hearts of those who are not acquainted with Him. Perhaps they do not read the Bible, or do not hear the voice that speaks to them in its pages; they do not see the love of God through His works. But if you are a true representative of Jesus, it may be that through you they will be led to understand something of His goodness and be won to love and serve Him. Steps to Christ 115
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 06:11:58 AM »
I've heard it said that some leaders in the SDA Denomination mandate that "their" Pastors not preach The Three Angel's Message, and that we are not to " proselytize". If this is true, it is alarming. This is the reason for my concern about the description in the Lesson that; in any way, "Doctrine is the teaching of the Church".

A “Thus saith the Lord” is not to be set aside for a “Thus saith the church” or a “Thus saith the state.” The crown of Christ is to be lifted above the diadems of earthly potentates. —The Acts of the Apostles, 68, 69.

Glen

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 06:42:18 AM »
Think about what event or events have made a deep and lasting impression on your spiritual life and faith.

As a Teenager, lost at sea with my Dad, and his reading Psalm 107 to me when we thought we might die.
My little sister at the age of 5, after a Family Portrait, running around the room “chasing the moon”, the image of the flash of the camera on her memory. Later in life, this memory prompted me to realize that the image of Jesus Christ may be flashed into my mind as the Day Star, risen in my heart and life, eclipsing and exposing the enticements of the devil.

When I understood that Jesus is my ‘faithful Creator”, and I may now “commit the keeping of (my) soul...to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. “ 1 Peter 4:19

What was it, how did it impact you, and what does it still mean to you today?
The experiences led me to a closer understanding or relationship of Christ as my Redeemer, that “God is (my) refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalms 46:1 -He desires to dwell within me, making me a duplicate, or multiplication of Himself, in His mission to save mankind.

Christ is to be multiplied in every man and woman who believes in Him, for they are to live over the life of Christ in blessing and enlightening and bringing hope and peace and joy to other hearts.
That I May Know Him 235

Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

I am encouraged by the following thought:
Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him. None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ. The demoniac, in place of prayer, could utter only the words of Satan; yet the heart's unspoken appeal was heard. No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded. Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature. They are invited by the Saviour, “Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me.” The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power.—The Desire of Ages, 258, 259 (1898).

For the scripture saith unto (me), Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Romans 9:17

My family is enjoying:  Remodeling Your Life Second Chances Three Angels Broadcasting Network Program transcript

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 07:07:26 AM »
Amen, Glen. Thanks for sharing your testimony.  We live in dangerous times. Not of wars and rumors of wars, but in the last days when Satan is so successful at deceiving if possible even the very elect of God. He cannot, for we cling to Christ. We daily are looking unto Jesus that we might maintain our connection with Him. He has promised He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear IF we will keep Him in our minds and hearts. But, we are free to choose whom we will serve. Let us choose Jesus.