Author Topic: Disconnect Me from the Internet  (Read 35391 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Disconnect Me from the Internet
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:55:31 AM »
Dr. Herbert Lin, one of the nation’s pre-eminent thinkers on cybersecurity policy, shuns the internet-connected devices that fill some American homes.

He’ll have nothing to do with “smart” refrigerators, hands-free home speakers he can call by name, intelligent thermostats and the like.

“People say to me, ‘How can you have a doctorate in physics from MIT and not trust in technology?’ And I look at them and say, ‘How can I have a doctorate in physics from MIT and trust technology?’ ” Lin said.

Part of what he distrusts is the “internet of things,” and the ease with which hackers can penetrate “smart” devices with digital worms and shanghai them into massive robotic networks to launch crippling digital attacks or generate ever greater quantities of spam.
Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Re: Disconnect Me from the Internet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
I'm with the good doctor. I don't trust the internet of things and have no desire to have my thermostat, frig, washer, door lock, whatever ad infinitum, connected to the internet.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 05:43:35 PM »
One hospital got an ABG (bloodgas) machine hacked and it spread very wide before being contained.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
I'm with ya Linda. I don't need a fridge to tell me that I'm low on celery. I can actually tell that as I'm using it.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
Seventh-day Adventists ought to know better. The young have no idea what it is going to cost them by not caring about their privacy. Google and facebook care not about anyone. Even Microsoft has joined the game. It is such a blessing to have God to turn to in times such as these.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »
The millions of dots on the map trace highways, side streets and bike trails — each one following the path of an anonymous cellphone user. One path tracks someone from a home outside Newark, New Jersey, to a nearby Planned Parenthood. Another represents a person who travels with New York’s mayor during the day and returns to Long Island at night.

Yet another leaves a house in upstate New York at 7am and travels to a middle school 14 miles away, staying until late afternoon each school day. Only one person makes that trip: Lisa Magrin, 46, a math teacher. Her smartphone goes with her.

Source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
"Permissions" are a problem that many will one day regret not understanding who they allowed to access their mics, camera, location, and many other permissions on their smart phones. Following is an article that ends with a warning. "You also need to make a vow to pay attention to those permission notifications and select Deny unless there is a very good reason to tap on Allow. If an app won’t work without those permissions, you may want to consider uninstalling it."  Criminals can get access to our phones if we are not careful. The article explains how we can change permissions on our apps. source

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 06:29:37 PM »
Speaking of such things, here is a new article that ought to cause some to be cautious about how they use their phone.

A bug in FaceTime lets you listen in to the audio if you try to call someone -- even if they don’t pick up. Source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 05:51:43 AM »
Even those who say they are not concerned about privacy will awaken to their error when their audio and video are on all the time for the world to listen and watch all they do every day.  And, it is recorded for future distribution at any time.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »
Indeed there are some who don't see an issue because they having nothing hide. However, I'm willing to make an educated guess that if an employee from one of the big web advertising companies were to physically follow these people with a log sheet and pen in hand as they shop from one store to the next, visit their friends, and stand outside the door and waiting for them while they were in the bathroom, they'd be a little creeped out and call the cops because someone was stalking them. But for some reason it's ok when their own computer does it instead.

For those who are interested in and care about these types of things there is another very interesting web browser to consider.

https://www.brave.com/