Author Topic: Unions Unifying Forces  (Read 7070 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Unions Unifying Forces
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:08:48 AM »
It is interesting that the church leadership in Europe, North America, and Australia, where rebellion is rampant, is planning a meeting to unify their forces. According to Advent Source, the unions hosting the event this June in London are: Australian Union Conference, Columbia Union Conference, Danish Union Conference, New Zealand Pacific Union Conference, Netherlands Union Conference, Northern German Union Conference, Norwegian Union Conference, Pacific Union Conference, South German Union Conference, Swedish Union Conference.

We are blessed to know that not all of the rebellious unions are involved in "hosting" the event. But, we will soon know that many sent their representatives. A majority of church leadership in Western Europe and North America have actively been fostering rebellion against the world church.

A listing of those in involved to date include Radisa Antic, Director, Ellen G. White Research Centre, Principal Lecturer in Systematic Theology, Newbold College, Jan Barna, Senior Lecturer in Systematic and Biblical Theology, Newbold College, Lowell Cooper, General Vice President, General Conference (Retired), Olive Hemmings, Professor of Religion, Washington Adventist University, Wendy Jackson, Lecturer in Ministry and Theology, Avondale College, George Knight, Emeritus Professor of Church History, Andrews University, Jiri Moskala, Dean Professor of Old Testament Exegesis and Theology Dean, Theological Seminary, Andrews University, Barry Oliver, President, South Pacific Division (Retired), Russell Seay, Assistant Professor of Theology, Oakwood University.

One of the subjects listed to be discussed, Responding to GC Unity Documents. This movement has not been done in the dark. It has been advancing for over 20 years in broad daylight. While the division in the church is widening, we may take courage and know that prophecy is being fulfilled. While it is painful to see, we know the separation must take place.  source

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

ejclark

Re: Unions Unifying Forces
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »
Another topic that concerns me is "Coercion and the Church".

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
It looks like a showdown between Elijah and Ahab w the prophets of Baal is in the works.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

ejclark

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »
Actually it has a closer relation to Korah, Dathan and Abiram when they opposed Moses and Arron.

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 05:25:28 AM »
Actually it has a closer relation to Korah, Dathan and Abiram when they opposed Moses and Arron.

Yes, I'm not convinced yet that the GC will take the position of Elijah but we can always hope.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »
Thank you, Linda.  From that "invitation" we read:

Unity 2017 has been organised by Adventist leaders from four of the world divisions—an indication of the global significance of this discussion. It is a true sisterhood of union conferences, who have joined hearts and hands in seeking to provide leaders in our church a special opportunity for prayerful contemplation of this important topic. In the spirit of those Sabbath Conferences of the 1840s, and enthused by God’s Spirit, we will come together to explore the important subjects of church structure and authority, unity, and liberty of conscience.

For some time these topics have dominated the conversations throughout the church. It has been a complex conversation, beginning with the work of TOSC and continuing with the current conversations about unity. What would our pioneers have done in this situation? We are pretty sure it would start with serious, intentional, and prayerful conversations.

As leaders of the unions of churches that encircle the world, and as theologians and academics who have studied these topics, can we come together in a spirit of collegiality and discovery that will allow our hearts and minds to be open to God’s leadership and the Spirit’s prompting? As God has abundantly blessed us in the past, so we believe that His blessings will be poured out again as we seek His will and a greater understanding of how we might serve His church and advance its mission.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
"theologians and academics who have studied these topics"

I see this as a key phrase, but in a negative sense. There has been for some time a subtle undercurrent going through the church that people sitting in the pews cannot understand the Bible or even the Spirit of Prophecy unless a theologian explains it to them.  There is no attempt here to ask the "uneducated" or the "undereducated" to contribute their thoughts and the results of their studies on the topics to be discussed. These are not wanted as the statement implies they are seen as inferior to those who hold their advanced degrees. It's a sad state of affairs. Such thinking is common today across all denominations, but is especially egregious within the SDA church whose members have always been encouraged to study for themselves with the aid of the Holy Spirit.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 04:02:55 AM »
"What would our pioneers have done in this situation? We are pretty sure it would start with serious, intentional, and prayerful conversations."

This is also a false premise. The early pioneers would have begun with Bible study and prayer, not with conversations. I wonder where they are planning to go from here. Is the purpose of this to move toward literally splitting the church?
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

colporteur

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 05:07:04 AM »

Not sure what all the intent is in the quote but "conversations"  is repeatedly emphasized along with "prayerful  contemplation" and "joining hearts and hands"  while the study of God's Word and the SOP is not mentioned. This comes across a bit like "contemplative spirituality" and after the order of the ecumenical movement out side of the church.

The " conversations" have already been held at great length and followed by a vote. It is simply a matter of how to react to those who rebel  against the church and the Word of God.

ejclark

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 07:03:13 AM »

Yes, I'm not convinced yet that the GC will take the position of Elijah but we can always hope.
I think they've taken the position of Moses.

Recently my wife and I were in contact with someone at GC. I don't feel at liberty to repeat all the GC rep said as the conversation was in confidence, but I can say I'm confident in the direction they are pursuing. As of yet, the NAD has not moved into their new building. I got the impression that once NAD is in their own building things are going to move rapidly on both sides, the GC and NAD.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
Yes, Linda, Satan has made schools throughout the world his main work, especially church schools. Higher education is important when it is centered in truth, Bible truth. Jesus did not choose the "lettered" for disciples for a reason. The "theologians and academics" in Christ's day led the nation to perdition. So it is today. The subject of ordinations is only a symptom of a much deeper problem.

When Seventh-day Adventist "higher education" is teaching evolution and Shakespeare, and nothing is done in the academic community in response, then we have a similar situation today in the church. The world has come into our schools. We must turn our eyes to Jesus and His Word to keep from being deceived. "And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming [thither] went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." Acts 17:10,11.

God sends teachers who point their students to Christ and His Word. And, the subject will be the righteousness of Christ that when beheld will bring the sinner to repentance. Until this is the gospel being proclaimed, things will continue to deteriorate in the church. But, the good news is that the Spirit is moving upon the church. Revival and reformation is on its way. And, sadly, many will reject the power of grace, and will be separated from the church. Let us pray for all of those taken in Satan's snare.