Author Topic: Birds  (Read 8287 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Birds
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
Here is one of my favorite birds. This one just didn't have in him to fly away.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Birds
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »
Quoth the Raven, "nevermore."  ;)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »
Yeah... this Raven I think was looking for a handout as he didn't seem worried at all with me getting close for the picture.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 03:19:25 AM »
I've seen them behave that way in National Parks.  We were at Bryce Canyon a number of years ago, and a Raven was hanging out on one of the informational signs at a viewpoint, looking for a handout.  They seem to be less skittish than crows.  My favorite is Gray Jay.  I've had them fly into my car and snatch food off the dashboard.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
Wally (or anyone else), I'm hoping you can help with this onne. I believe this bird to be a juvenile left on the nest when we got there but the parents were not to be found so I have no idea what he or she is. As always if you click on the image it will get a little bigger.

If it helps at all this about 2 weeks in western Ohio not far from the PA state line.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but around here I haven't seen any Ospreys on their nests is several weeks.  That bird may be a juvenile, but it's hard to tell, since they don't keep their juvenile plumage very long.  At any rate, it certainly looks fully developed and able to fly.  It just may be using the nest as a roosting spot.

How  do you post pictures now that Photobucket has changed the rules?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 07:15:16 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but around here I haven't seen any Ospreys on their nests is several weeks.  That bird may be a juvenile, but it's hard to tell, since they don't keep their juvenile plumage very long.  At any rate, it certainly looks fully developed and able to fly.  It just may be using the nest as a roosting spot.

How  do you post pictures now that Photobucket has changed the rules?

Sorry Wally, I guess it helps when I actually ask the question. I just didn't know what kind of bird it was. I could tell it wasn't the normal "hawk" that I'm use to seeing because of the longer down turned beak nor was I use to the coloring. I thought it was a juvenile because a few months ago I passed this same nest and in attempting to get a picture I scared off one of the parents who took some kind of animal with it when it flew off.

I use flickr now to post pics. I abandoned photobucket over a year ago now.  If you try to post a pic from there just hit the "share" button and it will give you a link to past here that will work.  I usually delete everything outside of the 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »
Thanks for the  information.  I don't have a flickr account.  Maybe I need to move into the 21st century.  ;D

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 05:40:51 AM »
A couple of weeks back I was in Michigan's UP for a day and I saw this big white bird flying. At first I thought it was big sea gull as we were not far from the lake but as it got closer it was obviously too big to be a sea gull and it was flying with crook in it's neck like a Blue Heron does when it flies. I was stumped. What in the world could it be until we stopped at a local gift shop where there was a few bird books on counter for people to use. I got to talking to the lady who owned the store and told her what I saw and took one of the books opened it up and said... "is this what you saw?".  Sure enough it was a Snowy Egret. I had no idea they went that far north as some bird books have them that far and others do not.

This is not my picture

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »
I hate to burst your bubble, Jim, but the bird in the picture is a Great Egret.  Snowy Egrets are smaller, have a black bill, and yellow feet.  And this is the time of year that both Snowy and Great Egrets wander, sometimes far from their breeding grounds.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 05:11:12 AM »
I hate to burst your bubble, Jim, but the bird in the picture is a Great Egret.  Snowy Egrets are smaller, have a black bill, and yellow feet.  And this is the time of year that both Snowy and Great Egrets wander, sometimes far from their breeding grounds.

You're not bursting my bubble at all... just learning. That pic wasn't mine so I'll have to look at my pic to see if I can discern the color of the feet. I would post it but I think it would turn up too small to see anything here.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 07:46:24 AM »
 A mama duck in Minnesota has captured hearts across the nation after a Bemidji photographer snapped an image of her leading an astonishing 76 ducklings across a lake.

Amateur wildlife photographer Brent Cizek noticed the exceptional common merganser, which he now calls Mama Merganser, late last month during a photo session on Lake Bemidji.

sourc

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 04:38:25 PM »
I have a hard time believing that all of these ducklings were from one duck.  I wonder if another Merganser was killed and this one adopted her brood.  The normally lay only about 6-12 eggs, and not all survive.

Still neat picture ,though.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 05:46:57 AM »
I have a hard time believing that all of these ducklings were from one duck.  I wonder if another Merganser was killed and this one adopted her brood.

That is my thought as well Wally. Maybe a brood from 2 other ducks joined hers. That is a lot of ducklings to care for and nature isn't always so nice to the young.

Dorine

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »
Here is a fascinating clip that I came across. What must it have been like for Adam and Eve working with God's creatures in perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IaFXu2RiNE

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
Thought I'd post something new in this thread. I'm absolutely sure someone knows what these birds are. It is my pic but I did not visit the country of origin.

Marelis

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
Rainbow lorikeets. Sweet-natured, friendly birds which will eat out of your hand ☺️
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
You are so right Marelis! and they did indeed eat out the hand.

Ok... here is another one. Not sure if anyone will get this as it is not native to side of the world.

Marelis

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 12:39:29 AM »
Hmm....Steller's sea eagle?
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 04:57:44 AM »
Indeed Marelis, you are right again! I have a couple more pictures but I don't know the names of the birds so I hesitate in putting them up without knowing myself.