Author Topic: Spring 2017  (Read 5324 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Spring 2017
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
Well spring must not be far away. Last week on the 27th or 28th (can't remember now) I walked out to my car in the morning and heard Red Wing Black Birds. Almost a full 2 weeks ahead of last year when I heard them. Then on friday I saw several flocks of Sand Hill Cranes and then for the first time in this part of Michigan I saw a Bald Eagle.

However, I plants and trees are very confused. We've been fluctuating between the 60s and 20s for a couple of weeks now. 60s for a few days and then 20s for a few days. Yes, this normally happens this time of the year but not this much. 

Time to be thinking about my garden though! :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Spring 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:21:55 AM »
We had a bit of teaser as well, with temps in the 50's and even one 60° day.  All the snow from the monster storm that hit in mid February melted.  I had my earliest record of Grackle and my second earliest record of Red-winged Blackbird.  And the maple sap was running early.  And then reality resurfaced, and it was brutal this past weekend.  Below 0° at night and teens during the day, and very windy.  But it can't last.  The sun is higher in the sky and stronger.  If it does snow, it melts faster this time of year.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:14:48 AM »
And the maple sap was running early. 

Wally, interesting that it's happening for you also. The taps on the local trees have been in now for at least 2 weeks. I've never seen them this early before.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »
The taps on the local trees have been in now for at least 2 weeks. I've never seen them this early before.

This is what we'd expect from "global warming."  I'm sure that's why we were 10-15° below normal this past weekend.  ::)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
Looks like you have some global warming headed your Wally! Lucky you!  Looks like are only going to get about 3 inches out of it. March is always very unpredictable.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah, 12-18"" of snow are predicted.  Just what we need.  ::)  At least my driveway will be plowable, since it's frozen solid after one of the coldest March days we've had in the 30 years I've been here.  On Sabbath the temperature did not get out of the singe digits all day, and it was very windy.