Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 6--1st Qtr 2017--The Holy Spirit & Living a Holy Life  (Read 10024 times)

colporteur

Cp, recently we discovered alternative words to this line found in the songbook, "Advent Youth Sing" (copyright 1977 by Review and Herald, song #112).  Apparently someone else was concerned about the wording when these songs were compiled! 

"When I fall on my knees, with my face to the heav'n above, O Lord, have mercy on me."

If you can get hold of this book (perhaps there is one in your church; it's blue, btw) take it with you to show your pastor.  At least he'll know you're not the only one. 

good idea, sister !
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
When I was in Academy, the choir director changed the words so that the choir  would sing, "when I fall on my knees with my face to the Lord on high . . ."  But your wording work, as well.  They've changed the wording in other hymns for no other reason than to be politically correct; seems they could change that one to be Biblically correct.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

When I was in Academy, the choir director changed the words so that the choir  would sing, "when I fall on my knees with my face to the Lord on high . . ."  But your wording work, as well.  They've changed the wording in other hymns for no other reason than to be politically correct; seems they could change that one to be Biblically correct.

There are some other songs maybe 3 or 4  in the hymnal that have issues but I don't think I have been in a church that has sung them. This is a first for this song.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Sister Dee

Then there's the children's song, "I'm in the Lord's Army".  It seems like whenever our church goes to the nursing home to sing that one is always chosen.  My girls decided to change the opening words from:  "I may never" to "I will never" while they sing it. 

I'm also pretty sure I've seen the words changed in a hymn or two to line up with our beliefs as SDA's.  Just can't remember which ones or where.