Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 3--1st Quarter 2017--The Divinity of the Holy Spirit  (Read 13622 times)

colporteur

Thanks, EJ. I am familiar with the rock group, Lenor and such but did not know this man was part of it. Fits.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

Thursday January 1

The Holy Spirit is affirmed as a proper object of worship in the New Testament, ......

I think he is on a very slippery slope here.  While we understand that The Holy Spirit is a Person and a part of the Godhead there are some very strange ideas developing within the church.  " The Father and the Son ALONE are to be exalted."  Youth Instructor July 7, 1898

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyX-SOU5wg&feature=youtu.be

Interesting that no "proof texts" were supplied to support his idea.  When  Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit, He said nothing about us worshiping Him or praying to Him.  John 16:13, 14--Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.  He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.  The Holy Spirit never draws attention to Himself, but always points us to Christ.  Jesus was also very plain about Who to pray to:  "Ask the Father anything in My name"  (my paraphrase of John 16:23, and John 14:13.

Of course "God" is 3 Persons, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.  So, when we worship God, one could argue that we are worshiping all 3; but we do not worship the Holy Spirit in isolation.  Throughout the Bible all praise and adoration is directed toward the Father and Son.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, cp, but I had to throw in that little monkey wrench.  ;D

Well, I'll let it go this time just for old time's sake. lol. I think there is a fine line here. We worship the Holy Spirit by implication and inference. The problem comes in where there is a directive specific to  the  Holy Spirit. Apparently this leads to another spirit. I find it interesting that as much as EGW speaks about the HS she always carefully worded her statements and never said that the HS is to be exalted, prayed to, or worshipped.

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39

I think there is a fine line here. We worship the Holy Spirit by implication and inference. The problem comes in where there is a directive specific to  the  Holy Spirit. Apparently this leads to another spirit. I find it interesting that as much as EGW speaks about the HS she always carefully worded her statements and never said that the HS is to be exalted, prayed to, or worshipped.

I think that expresses it well.  I agree that there is a fine line; nowhere do we read about exalting, praying to, or worshiping the Holy Spirit directly.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

Thanks, EJ. I am familiar with the rock group, Lenor and such but did not know this man was part of it. Fits.

Four years ago Ice had a heart attack and a stint put in. Two years ago he joined the Quiet Hour as an Associate speaker. I asked a church leader several years ago what he thought of the Quiet Hour Ministry these days. His reply was, "they're quiet."

ejclark

I think there is a fine line here. We worship the Holy Spirit by implication and inference. The problem comes in where there is a directive specific to  the  Holy Spirit. Apparently this leads to another spirit. I find it interesting that as much as EGW speaks about the HS she always carefully worded her statements and never said that the HS is to be exalted, prayed to, or worshipped.

I think that expresses it well.  I agree that there is a fine line; nowhere do we read about exalting, praying to, or worshiping the Holy Spirit directly.
The women's ordination movement in our denomination has brought about some of this I believe. As priesthood of all believers makes equality primary, it has gone as far as some of our church leadership ignoring 1 Corinthians 11:3   "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."  I have personally heard some of our leadership say that this quote doesn't apply any more as man is no longer head over the woman, and so God the Father is no longer the head of Jesus Christ either. If there is no headship between them, then that would exalt the Holy Spirit up to be equal with them as well so that He should be worshiped too.

colporteur

The women's ordination movement in our denomination has brought about some of this I believe. As priesthood of all believers makes equality primary, it has gone as far as some of our church leadership ignoring 1 Corinthians 11:3   "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."  I have personally heard some of our leadership say that this quote doesn't apply any more as man is no longer head over the woman, and so God the Father is no longer the head of Jesus Christ either. If there is no headship between them, then that would exalt the Holy Spirit up to be equal with them as well so that He should be worshiped too.

Ultimately what would that lead to ? Men worshipping angels ? Men worshipping men and men worshipping  women ( Diana) ? If there is no headship of any kind then man/ woman are God... and to be worshipped. If there is no longer headship or order within the Godhead and in heaven and there is no headship or order on earth.... the last distinction to be erased by the devil is that of God being head over mankind. Satan's ultimate thrust in heaven was to say " I am God."  He would like nothing better than pass that power kick off to mankind.

ejclark

Ultimately what would that lead to ? Men worshipping angels ? Men worshipping men and men worshipping  women ( Diana) ? If there is no headship of any kind then man/ woman are God... and to be worshipped. If there is no longer headship or order within the Godhead and in heaven and there is no headship or order on earth.... the last distinction to be erased by the devil is that of God being head over mankind. Satan's ultimate thrust in heaven was to say " I am God."  He would like nothing better than pass that power kick off to mankind.
Satan's lie to Eve would then be true. Gen 3:5   For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods.......

In the NAD hermeneutic chapter of the TOSC report, the author explains a "redemptive spirit trajectory" in which God designed that the associations between man and woman, slave and owner, God and man, etc. was one way in the Old Testament, another way in the New Testament and then another way today. In other words, God's first governmental design was good, in Jesus' day He made it better, and today it's better yet, and when we all get to heaven, when true equality will be finalized, it will be best. And sickest part of all.......it took sin and the death of Christ to get it all accomplished.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
"True equality"?  In heaven there is not true equality in terms of roles. The word has more meaning when it comes to roles. It is true that Adam and Eve were equals in one sense before sin. But, their roles were different even in the beginning. And, after sin, there was a more marked difference. And, as has been quoted here, man is the head of woman. Paul and Moses under inspiration explain why. It has nothing to do with European or American or African culture as so many in rebellion want it to. It is a Biblical truth.

In heaven there are leaders, and there always will be. Thus, this "true equality" being spoken of does not exist in terms of roles. The "priesthood of all believers" as is being taught by the rebels does not exist in heaven. Heaven will always have a covering cherub as Lucifer was and Gabriel now is. And, as for doing away with the Old Testament and the New Testament teaching on man being the head, is is foolishness. One reason why things have not changed is seen in the apostasy in the church and the world. The results of the working of sin is still seen in a Laodicean church. Why would God change the role given to men and women in Genesis 3:16 when the matter has worsened since then. We have a church that believes it is rich and increased with goods, but knows not it is miserable and wretched, poor and blind and naked.

Let us continue to pray for revival and reformation beginning in our homes and churches. Then the Lord will provide leaders who are not blind guides leading blind sheep over the cliff. We do not place all of our leaders in that condition. There are many who love God supremely and are standing on Bible truth. We thank God for them.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Dee

Jesus was also very plain about Who to pray to:  "Ask the Father anything in My name"  (my paraphrase of John 16:23, and John 14:13.

This has been a topic of discussion in our home these last few months because of a pastor who insisted on directing his prayers to the Holy Spirit.  I have been teaching my children that our prayers should only be to the Father in Jesus' name.  Then this past week I unexpectedly came across this quote:

It is a wonderful thing that we can pray effectually, that unworthy, erring mortals possess the power of offering their requests to God. What higher power can man desire than this,--to be linked with the infinite God? Feeble, sinful man has the privilege of speaking to his Maker. We may utter words that reach the throne of the Monarch of the universe. We may speak with Jesus as we walk by the way, and He says, I am at thy right hand.  {MYP 250.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
This is an interesting subject, dear Sister. I think there is a benefit we can gain as we consider who we may talk with in the godhead. God the Father does not communicate directly with man after the fall. Jesus is our connection with heaven. He is our Mediator with the Father. But, we are told by Jesus to pray to the Father. It is the righteousness of Christ mingled with our prayers that allow them to be acceptable to our heavenly Father.

Then we have Jesus telling us that He will send the Holy Spirit to speak to us. Is this a one way conversation? Or can we talk with Him as we talk with Jesus?

When we pray to the Father, are we talking with Him?   

Are we forbidden to talk with the Father? Are we forbidden to talk with the Holy Spirit who is speaking through a "still small voice" to us? Are we forbidden to talk with Jesus?

On the other hand, let's consider what happens when we ignore the Holy Spirit, or Jesus. Do we then suffer on account of the lack of a personal relationship with the Holy Spirit? Then, who is the Holy Spirit, not a person, not a personal God?  The Sabbath School lesson is leading us into territory where many have not gone.  We need to take care we do not go where we are forbidden, but let us not allow the false to do away with the true.

Have you ever talked to your angel? Why not? I am not saying to worship him, but to talk to him. My angel has smiled when I have acknowledged him there. How many years has he been helping me? Very many without me realizing it, nor appreciating it. We need to be more aware of the unseen world that is eternal, while what we see with our eyes is temporal and will soon pass away.

I have never had a conversation with my angel, but I have talked to him every now and then. Thanking him and telling him I know he is there. The Holy Spirit indwells our heart. Christ cannot, for He can only be in one place since he is now encumbered by His humanity. What a sacrifice for us!!  So, how can He walk with us?   :)  "Abide in me and I in you." It is through His representative that Christ abides in us. It is the Holy Spirit.

What is the conclusion of the matter?    There is much we do not understand. But, there is much we do. We serve a God who loves us and gave Himself for us. The godhead is composed of three divine persons. They have proved their love for us while we were yet sinners. They have sacrificed for us. Let us recognize their work which is ongoing for us. Jesus is our High Priest continually ministering to us in the Most Holy Place in the sanctuary in heaven. It is through the Holy Spirit that we understand this and all other truth. And, through Christ, we may enter into the Most Holy Place wherein dwells our heavenly Father.

My little brain cannot comprehend half of what we are discussing, but we know it to be true because the Holy Spirit has revealed these truths to us. He is even now guiding my mind to these truths He has previously revealed. As I type, I stop and pray to our Father that He will give me more of the Spirit that these truths might bring honor and glory to Him. And, I pray to Him in the name of our most precious Savior, Jesus Christ. Therefore, the Father answers my prayer and the Holy Spirit opens my mind to my great need of all three, and I see how needy I am, and how blessed to be able to hold communion with all three who are actively involved in our conversation.

That we would live our lives in continual communion with God is our aim. For it is by maintaining our connection with God that we are enabled to give honor and glory to Him.

A living Christian is one who lives a life of continual prayer. "The path of the just is as a shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day." The Christian's life is one of progression. He goes forward from strength to strength, from grace to grace, and from glory to glory, receiving from Heaven the light which Christ, at infinite cost to Himself, made it possible for man to obtain. The Christian cannot let his light shine before men, unless he is ever receiving divine illumination. He must ever receive strength and glory from the accessible heavens, that he may be able to meet new temptations and bear heavier responsibilities. Untried events await the Christian, new dangers even surround him, and unexpected temptations continually assail him. Our great Leader points to the open heaven, bidding us apply there for light and strength to enable us to overcome.   
     Jesus taught his disciples to pray. He directed them to present their daily needs before God. As we realize our dependence upon God for both temporal and spiritual blessings, we may offer up fervent and effectual prayer. Our great need is in itself an argument that pleads most eloquently in our behalf. Your wants, your joys, your sorrows, your cares, your fears, you may present before God. You cannot weary Him, you cannot burden his heart. Nothing is too great for Him to bear; for He upholds the worlds and rules the universe. Nothing is too small for his notice; for He marks the sparrow's fall, and numbers the hairs of your head. He is not indifferent to the wants of his people. The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy. He is touched by our sorrows, and even the utterance of them moves his great heart of infinite love. There is no chapter in our experience too dark for Him to read, no perplexity too complicated for Him to unravel. Our Heavenly Father is not unobserving; He sees our tears, He marks our sighs, He notes our joys and sorrows. "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." 
     The relation between God and each soul is distinct. His care to you is as minute as though there were no other soul to claim his attention. The psalmist says, "Thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. There is not a word in my tongue, but lo, O Lord, Thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me," "Thou tellest my wanderings; put Thou my tears in thy bottle; are they not in thy book?" In the words of the psalmist is expressed the intimacy and tenderness with which God cares for his creatures. "For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. "Bible Echo, February 1, 1893.

-
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.