Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 1--1st Quarter 2017--The Spirit and the Word  (Read 4817 times)

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 1--1st Quarter 2017--The Spirit and the Word
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 09:33:03 AM »
Not sure that we would equate what God reveals to us as His Word.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you mean, Richard? I did a search on "the word of the Lord came to" in the Bible, and by what I see, most of the "hits" are having to do with how God "spoke" to those "holy men of old", which eventually became known as our present Scriptures. Joel 2:28 and Acts 2:17 allude to this fact.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood is in the body, and circulate there as a vitalizing power... 7T 189.02

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
Good morning, Glen. My concern was that when we say "the Word", we generally are speaking of what you make mention of, the Bible. But, God speaks to common people every day. The lesson this quarter is on the Holy Spirit. What is His work? Is it not to reveal truth to us as well as to the authors who wrote the Bible? The truths God has revealed to me are just as much truth as what we read in the Word, but we do not treat the revelations to you and to me as Scripture. We do not treat the Spirit of Prophecy as Scripture, but it is truth as much as is the Bible.

This was the concern I had when I made comment on the lesson's statement. We all will agree that the Bible is the Word, and the revelations we receive are not to be used to judge what is truth. A simple statement, but one that we always need to keep up front. When I read the Psalm, it stated "thy word". The author said what is revealed to us. Maybe the author had something else in mind when he asked the question. I just wanted to make sure we keep things clear. What are your thoughts, Glen, on what he was looking for?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Glen

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
Yes, Richard, as you stated, “God speaks to common people every day....the Holy Spirit...reveal(s) truth to us as well as to the authors who wrote the Bible...the truths God has revealed to me are just as much truth as what we read in the Word”. 

The moment "common people" hear or receive His WORD, they are "called" by Him to DO His bidding; and, by Him, the called are, by Him, qualified. This is why I’m primarily, particularly interested in focusing on what God has prepared for His people in giving us Jesus, who represented “humanity, inhabited by divinity” (God’s Amazing Grace 14.4); thus, how He intends to work for and within the last generation of those that believe in Him, for they, in their turn, become His mouthpiece to their generation, fully possessed, as He was, by the Holy Spirit, the Grace of God.

Believers will “speak as the oracles of God “ (1 Peter 4L11) “ blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life”(Philippians 2:15) The testimony of Jesus Christ, of the Godhead, becomes theirs, for they have become one with Them, portraying Their Character without spot, testifying to the world what God can do within the soul of the penitent, former sinner, as the “day dawn”s, and “the day star” is arisen in their heart, for they are His witnesses. (2 Peter 1:19) Well did Paul plead in 1 Corinthians 14:1, “Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.” 1 Corinthians 11:4, 5 “ Every man praying or prophesying...every woman that prayeth or prophesieth...”

The Christian is the world's light, and the only Bible that many read. The Signs of the Times July 10, 1901 paragraph 2

The Bible Christian is a man of principle, sober, watchful, prayerful, a man full of faith and good works. He is not seeking the prominence of the hill, but is firm, established, strengthened, settled. It requires a sound conscience to do the works of Christ. It requires consistent and holy living. By much prayer, watching unto prayer, self-denial, the true Christian lifts the cross of Christ and follows in His footsteps. He walks with God, not with Satan. A Christian is the world's light, and the only Bible that many...can read.  MR18 279.3

As Abraham and other holy men of old were a light to their generation, so must God's people be a light in the world. The beams of heaven's attractive loveliness are to shine forth from us, showing the only good and right way, and ever showing the superiority of God's law above every human enactment. In Heavenly Places 315.3

That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world. Philippians 2:15.
In all ages the “Spirit of Christ which was in them” has made God's true children the light of the people of their generation. Joseph was a light bearer in Egypt. In his purity and benevolence and filial love he represented Christ in the midst of a nation of idolaters. While the Israelites were on their way from Egypt to the promised land the truehearted among them were a light to the surrounding nations. Through them God was revealed to the world. From Daniel and his companions in Babylon, and from Mordecai in Persia, bright beams of light shone out amid the darkness of the kingly courts.
In like manner the disciples of Christ are set as light bearers on the way to heaven; through them the Father's mercy and goodness are made manifest to a world enshrouded in the darkness of misapprehension of God. By seeing their good works, others are led to glorify the Father, who is above; for it is made manifest that there is a God on the throne of the universe whose character is worthy of praise and imitation. The divine love glowing in the heart, the Christlike harmony manifested in the life, are as a glimpse of heaven granted to men of the world.... The world watches to see what fruit is borne by professed Christians. It has a right to look for self-denial and self-sacrifice from those who claim to believe advanced truth.… In Heavenly Places 316

“...all can live the Christlife where they are.”
The Review and Herald November 23, 1905, Art. B paragraph 17

1 John 2:
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

Acts 10:
34 ...Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
36 The word which God sent...
37 That word…
42 ...he commanded us to preach unto the people...
44 ...the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 4:4; Luke 4:4 It is written, That man shall...live...by every word of God...by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2 Corinthians 4:6  For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

John 16:13  ...when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 7:
37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The Samaritan woman proved to be a more effective missionary than Jesus’ own disciples. Through her, a whole cityful of people came to hear the Savior. Every true disciple is born into the kingdom of God as a missionary. Whoever drinks of the living water becomes a fountain of life. The receiver becomes a giver. The grace of Christ in the heart is like a spring in the desert, refreshing all and making those who are ready to die eager to drink the water of life. The Humble Hero 82.1

Acts 2:
16 ...this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

John 5:30  I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

...Through his own transforming grace, Christ is multiplied in the lives of those who are restored to his image. They co-operate with Christ in offering the divine gift…
The Review and Herald November 12, 1895 paragraph 7
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood is in the body, and circulate there as a vitalizing power... 7T 189.02

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »
Amen, Brother Glen. It is quite apparent that Jesus wants us to reveal Him in our own lives. And, Jesus is the Word made flesh. The Word (law) is a transcript of His character. And, this character is revealed in all who will truly be converted. Thus, the Word is indeed seen in all who love God supremely.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Glen

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
Thus; "the Word made flesh" within the parchment of the Believer, is Christ, himself; "the rest of his time in the flesh", only as the Believer keeps the faith of Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »
Yes. "He that hath the Son, hath life. He who hath not the Son, hath not life." He who is in a converted state, abiding in Christ and Christ abiding in him (through the Spirit) has eternal life. "If we have not His Spirit, we are none of His." Roman 8:9.  It is a hard lesson to learn.

Glen

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
the revelations we receive are not to be used to judge what is truth.

Brother Richard, I believe that the revelations holy men of old received through the agency of the Holy Spirit and the revelations EGW received by that same Spirit, are "used to judge what is truth." Just the same result is affected through God's instrumentality when He shall pour out His Spirit on all flesh and our young and old shall prophesy. If we cannot judge what is truth through the revelations of the Holy Spirit, then we must cease to confess Jesus Christ; who, according to Scripture, is "God WITH  us." Matthew 1:23; 1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.