Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 11--4th Quarter 2016--Out of the Whirlwind  (Read 23996 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Lesson 11 December 3–9

Commentary in Navy Blue

Out of the Whirlwind

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Job 38–39, John 1:29, Matt. 16:13, 1 Cor. 1:18–27, Job 40:1–4, 42:1–6, Luke 5:1–8.

Memory Text: Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding." 

Notice the command at the end. God is not pleased with Job for perverting His Word. Job did much more, but God began His rebuke with this sin. And, He commands Job to declare when He laid the foundations of the earth. Better yet, read the memory verse in context....

38:2   Who [is] this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? 
 38:3   Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. 
 38:4   Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 

God is demanding an answer from this man who has darkened His counsel. Not long before He was pointing to Job as an example of the power of grace to transform sinners into saints. His commandments can be kept, Job was proof of it. Now, Job has been so far from his old experience that he is taking the glory to himself.

Whatever their differences, the characters in the book of Job had one thing in common: each had a lot to say about God, or at least about his understanding of God. And, as we have seen, much of what they said we could agree on.

No, much of what Job was saying, we cannot agree with. He was despondent, thinking of how bad things were. His mind was not on the blessings of God, nor on His presence with Him. Job was defending himself, not God. His behavior, while we understand it was hard for Job to cling to Christ, was not that of faith. He was not looking past his suffering to the unseen world. Self was alive and it is seen through his words. Both Elihu and God reprove Job's self righteousness.

After all, who would argue with this: “But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee: Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee. Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the LORD hath wrought this? In whose hand [is] the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.” (Job 12:7–10)? Or with this: “Doth God pervert judgment? or doth the Almighty pervert justice?” (Job 8:3)?

And while the context was Job’s suffering, the main focus of discussion was God. With the exception of the first two chapters, though, the Lord remained hidden, in the background, as the book progressed.

Yes, but Job was also talking about himself how great he had been. For most of the Book, Job murmurs and defends self. His three friends most attack his character. Yes, the verse quoted is truth, but Satan always mingles truth with error.

All that, however, was about to change. God Himself—the subject of so much discussion and debate in the book of Job—will now speak for Himself.

God could have appeared before He sent Elihu, but He did not. He inspired Elihu to reprove Job and his three friends first. Then, God began with a strong rebuke for Job perverting the truth. Since Job had said so much that was wrong, God goes on and on about how wrong Job was. And, God finally rebukes Job's self righteousness.

40:2   Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct Him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it. 
 40:3   Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 
 40:4   Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. 
 40:5   Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further. 
 40:6   Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
 40:7   Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
 40:8   Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?
 40:9   Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him? 
 40:10   Deck thyself now [with] majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty. 
 40:11   Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one [that is] proud, and abase him. 
 40:12   Look on every one [that is] proud, [and] bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place. 
 40:13   Hide them in the dust together; [and] bind their faces in secret. 
 40:14   Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee.

God's reproof of Job has nothing to do with science. It has everything to do with Job perverting God's counsel in order to make himself look good. If you or I were to do what Job did, and God spoke these words to you, you will not misunderstand. Job misrepresented God with the universe looking on. That perfection of character vanished when Job ceased looking unto Jesus for his strength.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 11--4th Quarter 2016--Out of the Whirlwind
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »

Sunday December 4

Out of the Whirlwind

Read Job 38:1.

What happens here that is different from everything else in all the other dialogues?

Suddenly and unexpectedly, the Lord now appears in the book of Job, the first time since Job 2:6—“And the LORD said to Satan, ‘Behold, he is in your hand, but spare his life’ ” (NKJV).

Nothing really prepares the reader for this sudden appearance of God. Job 37 ends with Elihu’s speech, and the next thing we know, “the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind” (Job 38:1). Instantly it is just God and Job, as if the other men are irrelevant, at least for now.

The word whirlwind comes from a Hebrew word that means “storm” or “tempest,” and it has been used in connection with the appearance of God to humans (see Isa. 29:6, Zech. 9:14). It was also the word used in the context of Elijah’s being taken to heaven: “When the LORD was about to take Elijah up to heaven in a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were on their way from Gilgal” (2 Kings 2:1, NIV).

Though we are not given any physical details about this “theophany” (a visible manifestation of God to humanity), it is clear that God isn’t speaking to Job in a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:12). Instead, the Lord manifested Himself in a very powerful way, one that certainly got Job’s attention.

Of course, this isn’t the only time God had revealed Himself to fallen humans. Again and again, the Scriptures show us the closeness of God to humanity.

What do these texts teach us about how near God can be to us? Gen. 15:1–6, Gen 32:24–32, John 1:29.

The Bible teaches us the great and important truth that our God is not a distant God who created our world and then left us to ourselves. Instead, He is a God who closely interacts with us. No matter our sorrows, our troubles, or whatever we face in this life, we can have the assurance that God is near and that we can trust Him.

It’s one thing to believe intellectually in the nearness of God to us; it’s quite another to experience that nearness. How can you learn to draw close to God and to derive hope and comfort from this relationship?

Today's lesson, as presented, is far from the truth being taught in the Book of Job. First, we read in 38:1 God speaking just after He sent a message through His servant Elihu. God confirms the message He sent through Elihu. And, His manner of speaking to Job is not without strong rebuke. He does not speak of one thing that Job does not understand, or cannot do, but God goes on and on until there is no way Job can ignore his sin. When Job does respond, as God commanded, it is with much repentance. Job is left with nothing else to say. It is so obvious to Job and to all who have some Spiritual discernment, Job was far removed from God when he fell after being unfairly attacked by his three friends. Elihu's reproof was not an unfair attack, it was reproof of Job's sin and it was inspired by the Holy Spirit, both in Spirit and in truth.

Let us read all of what God has to say to Job. Don't skip any verses. We must get the same understanding given to Job. He is being rebuked for his sins. Don't rely on others to do your study. Read it all or do not do as Job did, and pervert God's truth because you never took time to even read it. If you reject what God says, then don't open your mouth in your Sabbath School and bring reproach upon God, His Word, and His church. It is God speaking, not man. It is not hard to understand Job sinned, when God says he was perverting the truth, contending with God, and was self righteous.

38:1   Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 

38:3   Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. 
 38:4   Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 
 38:5   Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 
 38:6   Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 
 38:7   When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? 
 38:8   Or [who] shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, [as if] it had issued out of the womb? 
 38:9   When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, 
 38:10   And brake up for it my decreed [place], and set bars and doors, 
 38:11   And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed? 
 38:12   Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; [and] caused the dayspring to know his place; 
 38:13   That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? 
 38:14   It is turned as clay [to] the seal; and they stand as a garment. 
 38:15   And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken. 
 38:16   Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth? 
 38:17   Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death? 
 38:18   Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all. 
 38:19   Where [is] the way [where] light dwelleth? and [as for] darkness, where [is] the place thereof, 
 38:20   That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths [to] the house thereof? 
 38:21   Knowest thou [it], because thou wast then born? or [because] the number of thy days [is] great? 
 38:22   Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, 
 38:23   Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war? 
 38:24   By what way is the light parted, [which] scattereth the east wind upon the earth? 
 38:25   Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder; 
 38:26   To cause it to rain on the earth, [where] no man [is; on] the wilderness, wherein [there is] no man; 
 38:27   To satisfy the desolate and waste [ground]; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth? 
 38:28   Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew? 
 38:29   Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it? 
 38:30   The waters are hid as [with] a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen. 
 38:31   Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? 
 38:32   Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? 
 38:33   Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth? 
 38:34   Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee? 
 38:35   Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we [are]? 
 38:36   Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart? 
 38:37   Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven, 
 38:38   When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together? 
 38:39   Wilt thou hunt the prey for the lion? or fill the appetite of the young lions, 
 38:40   When they couch in [their] dens, [and] abide in the covert to lie in wait? 
 38:41   Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat. 
39:1   Knowest thou the time when the wild goats of the rock bring forth? [or] canst thou mark when the hinds do calve? 
 39:2   Canst thou number the months [that] they fulfil? or knowest thou the time when they bring forth? 
 39:3   They bow themselves, they bring forth their young ones, they cast out their sorrows. 
 39:4   Their young ones are in good liking, they grow up with corn; they go forth, and return not unto them. 
 39:5   Who hath sent out the wild ass free? or who hath loosed the bands of the wild ass? 
 39:6   Whose house I have made the wilderness, and the barren land his dwellings. 
 39:7   He scorneth the multitude of the city, neither regardeth he the crying of the driver. 
 39:8   The range of the mountains [is] his pasture, and he searcheth after every green thing. 
 39:9   Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? 
 39:10   Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? 
 39:11   Wilt thou trust him, because his strength [is] great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him? 
 39:12   Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather [it into] thy barn? 
 39:13   [Gavest thou] the goodly wings unto the peacocks? or wings and feathers unto the ostrich? 
 39:14   Which leaveth her eggs in the earth, and warmeth them in dust, 
 39:15   And forgetteth that the foot may crush them, or that the wild beast may break them. 
 39:16   She is hardened against her young ones, as though [they were] not hers: her labour is in vain without fear; 
 39:17   Because God hath deprived her of wisdom, neither hath he imparted to her understanding. 
 39:18   What time she lifteth up herself on high, she scorneth the horse and his rider. 
 39:19   Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder? 
 39:20   Canst thou make him afraid as a grasshopper? the glory of his nostrils [is] terrible. 
 39:21   He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in [his] strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men. 
 39:22   He mocketh at fear, and is not affrighted; neither turneth he back from the sword. 
 39:23   The quiver rattleth against him, the glittering spear and the shield. 
 39:24   He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he that [it is] the sound of the trumpet. 
 39:25   He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha; and he smelleth the battle afar off, the thunder of the captains, and the shouting. 
 39:26   Doth the hawk fly by thy wisdom, [and] stretch her wings toward the south? 
 39:27   Doth the eagle mount up at thy command, and make her nest on high? 
 39:28   She dwelleth and abideth on the rock, upon the crag of the rock, and the strong place. 
 39:29   From thence she seeketh the prey, [and] her eyes behold afar off. 
 39:30   Her young ones also suck up blood: and where the slain [are], there [is] she. 

40:1   Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said
 40:2   Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct Him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it. 

God is not finished by any means, but Job has heard enough for him to know how vile he has been, no matter how perfect he had been before his fall.

40:4   Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. 
 40:5   Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further. 

God continues His strong rebuke of Job adding more of Job's sins to the list.

40:6   Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said
 40:7   Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
 40:8   Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?

40:10   Deck thyself now [with] majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty. 
 40:11   Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one [that is] proud, and abase him. 
 40:12   Look on every one [that is] proud, [and] bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place. 
 40:14   Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee. 
 40:15   Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. 
 40:16   Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly. 
 40:17   He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. 
 40:18   His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron. 
 40:19   He [is] the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach [unto him]. 
 40:20   Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play. 
 40:21   He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. 
 40:22   The shady trees cover him [with] their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about. 
 40:23   Behold, he drinketh up a river, [and] hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. 
 40:24   He taketh it with his eyes: [his] nose pierceth through snares. 

41:1   Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord [which] thou lettest down? 
 41:2   Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn? 
 41:3   Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft [words] unto thee? 
 41:4   Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever? 
 41:5   Wilt thou play with him as [with] a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens? 
 41:6   Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants? 
 41:7   Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears? 
 41:8   Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more. 
 41:9   Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not [one] be cast down even at the sight of him? 
 41:10   None [is so] fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me? 
 41:11   Who hath prevented me, that I should repay [him? whatsoever is] under the whole heaven is mine. 
 41:12   I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion. 
 41:13   Who can discover the face of his garment? [or] who can come [to him] with his double bridle? 
 41:14   Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth [are] terrible round about. 
 41:15   [His] scales [are his] pride, shut up together [as with] a close seal. 
 41:16   One is so near to another, that no air can come between them. 
 41:17   They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered. 
 41:18   By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes [are] like the eyelids of the morning. 
 41:19   Out of his mouth go burning lamps, [and] sparks of fire leap out. 
 41:20   Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as [out] of a seething pot or caldron. 
 41:21   His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth. 
 41:22   In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him. 
 41:23   The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved. 
 41:24   His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether [millstone]. 
 41:25   When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves. 
 41:26   The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon. 
 41:27   He esteemeth iron as straw, [and] brass as rotten wood. 
 41:28   The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble. 
 41:29   Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear. 
 41:30   Sharp stones [are] under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire. 
 41:31   He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment. 
 41:32   He maketh a path to shine after him; [one] would think the deep [to be] hoary. 
 41:33   Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. 
 41:34   He beholdeth all high [things]: he [is] a king over all the children of pride. 

After reading what the Bible says, and what God Himself said to Job, will you still say Job did not sin? Will you still say that Elihu was arrogant and doing the same as Eliphaz the Temanite, and Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite? Where is Elihu wrong when he said he was moved by the Spirit to reprove Job of the same thing for which we now hear God reproving Job?

There are important lessons for us in our day in the Book of Job. The lesson does not bring them out. There are two different religions involved. Be as the faithful Bereans and study this Book for yourselves, not depending on the wisdom of man. We will find many truths uttered by Job and his three friends, but Satan has always mingled truth with error. Present truth is found in the Words of God in chapters 1,2, and again in 32-37 with the words of Elihu, ending with these:
"Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: He is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: He will not afflict. Men do therefore fear Him: He respecteth not any that are wise of heart." 37:23,24. Then we read the Words spoken by God Himself in the last five chapters, 38-42. We have shared all of the Words spoken by God from chapter 38 to 41, but now we will continue with the last chapter wherein God continues to reveal who it is that has sinned. He tells us who has repented and who needs yet to repent. Some will still reject the truth and attack the character of Elihu just as Job's three friends had attacked the character of Job when he had not sinned.

42:1   Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 
 42:2   I know that thou canst do every [thing], and [that] no thought can be withholden from thee. 
 42:3   Who [is] he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. 
 42:4   Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
 42:5   I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 
 42:6   Wherefore I abhor [myself], and repent in dust and ashes.
 42:7   And it was [so], that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me [the thing that is] right, as my servant Job [hath]. 
 42:8   Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you [after your] folly, in that ye have not spoken of me [the thing which is] right, like my servant Job. 
 42:9   So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite [and] Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the LORD commanded them: the LORD also accepted Job. 
 42:10   And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before. 

And, we have confirmed the truth by God again. Who repented? Job. Who did not repent? Job's three friends. Who did not need to repent? Job's fourth friend. And, when did God turn the captivity of Job? When he prayed for the ones who falsely attacked him. If he had done this much earlier, God would have ended his great trial sooner.

We still have a few more weeks to bring to a conclusion the important lessons we are to learn from our study of the Book of Job. It is an important Book for us who live in the last days of this Earth's history. Job is a shadow of what those who will live through the "time of trouble such as never was." They will not make the same mistake as did Job. They will learn the lessons from His experience.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
Monday December 5

God’s Question

After what must have seemed to Job like a very long silence, God finally speaks to him, even if what He first said might not have been what Job wanted to hear.

Does a wise man want to be reproved? Job accepted the rebuke. He repented in "dust and ashes."
"The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise. He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding." Proverbs 15:31,32. Job, being a mature Christian, had developed a character that loved God. His repentance was quick and deep when he saw his sin. It is important that we develop the same habit (character).

What was the first question that God asked Job, and what was implied in that question? Job 38:2.

"Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?"
It was stated that someone had perverted God's Word. Since it was directed to Job, it is understood to be Job that had darkened God's truth. Of course we do not need God to tell us, we have been reading chapter after chapter where Job is twisting the truth, as if he was so very intelligent. Poor Job felt the need to defend self as he was so fiercely attacked by his three friends.

All through the Bible we find God asking humans questions. This is not because He doesn’t know the answers already. Instead, as a good teacher often does, God asks questions because they are an effective way to get us to think about our situation, to make us confront ourselves, to help us work through issues and come to the proper conclusions. The questions, then, that God asks are not to teach the Lord something that He didn’t already understand. Rather, they are often asked in order to help people learn things that perhaps they needed to understand better. God’s questions are a rhetorical device to help reach people with truth.

And, what is the truth? It has nothing to do with the questions, or science. It is a strong rebuke of the one who has been taking the glory to himself instead of giving it to God who had made him the greatest of all men on the Earth at that time. Reminds us of another whom God had made great and placed him above all other angels in heaven. He too, took the glory to himself.

Read the following questions from God. What do you think God’s purpose was in asking those questions? What point was He making?

Gen. 3:11
And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

Gen. 4:9
And the LORD said unto Cain, Where [is] Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: [Am] I my brother's keeper? 

1 Kings 19:9
And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD [came] to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah? 

Acts 9:4
And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 

Matt. 16:13
When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 

Job had a lot to say about God, and the Lord obviously wanted him to see that, in fact, there was a lot he didn’t know or understand about his Creator. In many ways, God’s opening question to Job parallels some of the words that these men had said to him, as well (see Job 8:1, 2; 11:1–3; 15:1–3).

8:1   Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said, 
 8:2   How long wilt thou speak these [things]? and [how long shall] the words of thy mouth [be like] a strong wind? 
 11:1   Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said, 
 11:2   Should not the multitude of words be answered? and should a man full of talk be justified? 
 11:3   Should thy lies make men hold their peace? and when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed? 
 15:1   Then answered Eliphaz the Temanite, and said, 
 15:2   Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind? 
 15:3   Should he reason with unprofitable talk? or with speeches wherewith he can do no good? 

Is it not amazing how one who is wrong can point out the wrongs of someone else? These three men could see that Job had become self righteous, thanks to their continual attack upon him. They did not cause Job to sin. Job's sin was because he had let loos of Jesus. But, these men had been a stone of stumbling to Job. The devil did use them to tempt Job to sin.

If God were to ask you a question about the state of your life right now, what do you think He would ask, and what would you answer? What do the question and the answer teach you about yourself?

"The state of your life." What would that mean? What comes to my mind is "Am I abiding in Christ?" "Is my life in harmony with God's law of love for others?" Have we developed the character that can admit sin in the life? When Job was reproved, even though many in the church will not acknowledge his sin, he did, and he  repented in "dust and ashes." Why would it be that many would not acknowledge Job's sin, even when they read he repented? Might pride be in the way?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:47:58 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

God's reproof of Job has nothing to do with science. It has everything to do with Job perverting God's counsel in order to make himself look good. If you or I were to do what Job did, and God spoke these words to you, you will not misunderstand. Job misrepresented God with the universe looking on. That perfection of character vanished when Job ceased looking unto Jesus for his strength.

I was reflecting upon the truth of the comment you made in the last sentence of your post on today's Sabbath School lesson. Indeed, perfection of character is not something a human being ever possesses apart from a vital relationship with Christ maintained by constant surrender revealed in joyful gratitude ESPECIALLY AMID TRIALS! Even in the Psalm that points to Christ's crucifixion we see how essential a spirit of gratitude and praise is when surrounded by darkness and adversity. May we also learn from Job's sin and fall to take heed to our CONTINUAL NEED of Jesus! Let us express these words today in our character building with the Lord:

"But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitant the praises of Israel" (Psalm 22:3). We are either praising God or we are praising ourselves. Self does not care how it gets attention--it will throw a praise party (in which self is the center for all its "good works") or a pity party (in which self is the center for all its lamentable trials). There are two forks in the road. The devil does not care how he can separate you from Jesus, so long as there is sin, there is a separation from the Savior, the source of all perfection and spiritual life. Apart from Him we can do no good thing; apart from Him we have no power to resist the temptation to indulge self. Let us learn the lesson from the book of Job, and see why God is so thorough in His loving rebuke. Is not God also showing the Laodicean church such mercy in His rebuke as well? What is written is clear as well:

Revelation 3:14-21
14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

When Job was self-righteous and felt that he was right in his own eyes, and darkened God's counsel, he fell from a converted, perfect character experience (Job 1:1) into a Laodicean condition (lost, unconverted, blind). He felt he was "rich, and increased with goods, and [had] need of nothing" because his eyes were upon self, not the Savior. O, let us learn from the lesson here how much we NEED JESUS ALWAYS! Let us not allow a separation to come between us and Jesus even by a thought!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 08:27:24 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. Our message is that we need Jesus. Sadly, too many who profess to love Jesus do not understand their continual need of Jesus in order to have eternal life continually. It is an on again off again experience for those who have truly experienced conversion. Like Peter when walking on water, they do not understand why they fall so very often.

Then, there are many who were baptized alive. They never did die to self. The blind lead the blind into a deception about what it means to be converted, to be justified, to have salvation. Some see the deception in the "evangelical" world, but fail to heed the counsel of the True Witness to Laodicea. I appreciate your thought that Job fell into a Laodicean condition when he began to praise his good works, not giving the glory to God. Yes, he was blind to his need of Jesus, and he surely did think he was rich and increased with good, not knowing how miserable and blind he was. Not miserable in feeling, but miserable in Christian character, having fallen from grace. Like Moses after him, when he struck the Rock, there is blindness that comes over all who fail to see their evil nature is in control.

We need to understand who we are apart from Christ. It is not a pretty picture, and there is no excuse for not fleeing from that unholy state. Jesus stands at the door knocking, wanting into the heart. Will we give Him the whole heart that He may cleanse it?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »

Tuesday December 6

The Lord as Creator

Read Job 38:4–41.

38:1   Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
 38:5   Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 
 38:6   Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 
 38:7   When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? 
 38:8   Or [who] shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, [as if] it had issued out of the womb? 
 38:9   When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, 
 38:10   And brake up for it my decreed [place], and set bars and doors, 
 38:11   And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed? 
 38:12   Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; [and] caused the dayspring to know his place; 
 38:13   That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? 
 38:14   It is turned as clay [to] the seal; and they stand as a garment. 
 38:15   And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken. 
 38:16   Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth? 
 38:17   Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death? 
 38:18   Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all. 
 38:19   Where [is] the way [where] light dwelleth? and [as for] darkness, where [is] the place thereof, 
 38:20   That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths [to] the house thereof? 
 38:21   Knowest thou [it], because thou wast then born? or [because] the number of thy days [is] great? 
 38:22   Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, 
 38:23   Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war? 
 38:24   By what way is the light parted, [which] scattereth the east wind upon the earth? 
 38:25   Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder; 
 38:26   To cause it to rain on the earth, [where] no man [is; on] the wilderness, wherein [there is] no man; 
 38:27   To satisfy the desolate and waste [ground]; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth? 
 38:28   Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew? 
 38:29   Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it? 
 38:30   The waters are hid as [with] a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen. 
 38:31   Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? 
 38:32   Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? 
 38:33   Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth? 
 38:34   Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee? 
 38:35   Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we [are]? 
 38:36   Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart? 
 38:37   Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven, 
 38:38   When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together? 
 38:39   Wilt thou hunt the prey for the lion? or fill the appetite of the young lions, 
 38:40   When they couch in [their] dens, [and] abide in the covert to lie in wait? 
 38:41   Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat. 

What questions does God ask Job, and what is the purpose of those questions?

I took the liberty to post all of the chapter. Since I have already posted the last five chapters, we remember after reading all of what God has said, that we are here in chapter 38 hearing the rebuke of Job right from God's mouth, not from Elihu. It is important to read verses 4-41 in its context. By leaving out verses 1-3, we have no context. God is rebuking Job for his self righteousness. He is demanding an answer to all he is now presenting before Job. It has nothing to do with science, and everything to do with Job's arrogance in perverting God's truth.

If Job expected some detailed explanation about why all these calamities happened to him, he didn’t get it. Instead, what he got was a flow of rhetorical questions contrasting the Lord in His creative might to the transience and ignorance of poor Job.

Job did not expect anything. When God spoke to him, it was an immediate rebuke. God appeared and rebuked him. God did not allow Job to say anything, or to expect anything. God opened His mouth and began to point out Job's sin. There was nothing Job could say. It was that strong of a rebuke. All Job could think was that he was foolish in his sin. Look for the first words that come from Job. When God opens his remarks with "Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?" what do we expect Job will think? When we are faced with such a rebuke, what would be our expectations?

“Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.” the Lord begins (Job 38:4). After echoing some of the earliest images in Genesis—for example, the origins of the earth, the sea, light, and darkness—God says to Job (basically) that, of course you know all these things “because thou wast then born? or because the number of thy days is great?” (see Job 38:21).

The Lord then points to wonders and mysteries of Creation, again with a series of rhetorical questions that cover not just the foundations of the earth but also the mysteries of the weather and even of the stars themselves. “ ‘Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, or loose the belt of Orion?’ ” (Job 38:31, NKJV). He then points Job back to the earth, to everything from human insight (Job 38:36) to the lives of wild animals (Job 38:39–41)—a theme that is fleshed out in much more detail all through Job 39, as well. Had the book been written today, the Lord might have asked, “Who binds the quarks in protons and neutrons?” “Where were you when I first measured out a Planck mass?” “Is it by your wisdom that gravity bends space and time?”

The answer to all these questions is the same: of course not. Job wasn’t there for any of those events, and he had little knowledge about any of the phenomena the Lord referred to. God’s point was to show Job that even with all his wisdom and knowledge and even though he spoke “right” (Job 42:7) about God in contrast to these other men, Job still knew so little. And his lack of knowledge was best revealed by how great Job’s ignorance of the created world was.

NO! Job did not speak "'right' about God in contrast to these other men" until he repented. We cannot continue to listen to a perversion of the truth. When God said Job had spoken "right" it had nothing to do with the Earth or anything God is saying about Job's ignorance. The "right" that Job had spoken came after the rebuke, not before. The "right" that Job spoke in verse 42:7 was his repentance. Read it in context. 

42:2   I know that thou canst do every [thing], and [that] no thought can be withholden from thee. 
 42:3   Who [is] he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. 
 42:4   Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
 42:5   I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 
 42:7   And it was [so], that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me [the thing that is] right, as my servant Job [hath]. 
 42:8   Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you [after your] folly, in that ye have not spoken of me [the thing which is] right, like my servant Job. 

This ought not need any commentary to understand, but because so many minds have been led astray, we shall make comments so that the obvious will be made plain. Beginning with verse one, we read the words spoken by Job which were right. Job did not resist God's rebuke. He repented in "dust and ashes." But, his three friends had not spoken as had Job. They were just as guilty as Job in perverting God's truth, and they had not repented, as had Job. So, God told them to offer a burnt offering for their sins. Again, notice that the fourth friend is not told to offer up a burnt offering, for he sinned not in his rebuke of Job. He did not pervert the truth. He spoke the truth.

If Job knew so little about the creation, how much could he understand about the Creator? What a powerful contrast between the Creator and the created, between God and humanity. Though God contrasted Himself to Job, any other human being (with the exception of Jesus) would have sufficed, as well. What are we in contrast to God? And yet, look at what this God has done to save us and to offer us the hope of eternal fellowship with Him.

One can speak truth, but when mingled with such great error, it becomes deadly. God allows this, just as He allowed Job to suffer. Israel must learn to trust in God and His Word rather than in the arm of flesh. There is so much error being taught from our pulpits, and published in our media that multitudes are deceived about what it means to be a converted Christian. And, we all know that there are multiple "gospels" allowed. Why is this not spoken of? Why is there no rebuke? Shall the Laodicean condition continue to cause the loss of precious souls for whom Christ suffered and died? Enough is enough! We must study for ourselves. God's send teachers, but they point the people to their need of Jesus and to His Word.

The rebuke of Job is a rebuke to those who have perverted the Book of Job. Those who have taught as the lessons have taught this quarter are even more guilty than Job of the very same sin that God speaks of in Job verse 38:2. You too, have darkened God's counsel by words without knowledge. Thus, God's speaks to you in the same manner he spoke to Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite.
"My wrath is kindled against thee." Repent as did Job.

God allowed the trials to come to Job. Job wanted to die, just as Elijah wanted to die, but these faithful servants were not to  die when they sought death. One was to enter heaven without seeing death, the other was to be more greatly blessed than before. They both repented. They both learned from their sin, and rose up to testify to the power of God's love and grace.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:07:06 AM »
Wednesday December 7

The Wisdom of the Wise

From our perspective today, it’s easy to look at the questions that God had asked Job and realize how little a man like Job, living thousands of years ago, could understand about the created world. It wasn’t until the A.D. 1500s, for instance, that humans (at least some of them) finally understood that the motion of the sun in the sky was the result of the rotation of the earth on its axis, and the reverse of the orbit of the sun around the earth—a truth that most of us take for granted now.

Thanks mostly to modern science, we live today with knowledge of the natural world that people in Bible times couldn’t begin to comprehend. And yet, even with all this acquired knowledge, we humans are still so limited in our understanding of the natural world and its origins.

Read over the questions God asked Job in chapters 38 and 39. How much better could people answer them today?

If God were to rebuke the author of our lesson, he would select truths that would point out the sin of the man. It has nothing to do with the knowledge itself. The statements were chosen just because Job did not know the answer. The truths presented accomplished their purpose in helping Job to see his sins.

There is no question that science has revealed to us facets of reality that were previously hidden. However, so much still remains for us to learn. In many ways, far from removing the majesty and the mystery of God’s creation, science has made it even more fascinating, revealing a depth and complexity of the natural world that previous generations knew nothing about.

This is true, but it has nothing to do with the lesson. Soon God will have a people who will live through the time of trouble such as never was. They will not fall as Job fell. But, today there needs to be those who God can point to and say, "a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil." For unless we can walk with the footmen, how will we be able to run with the horses (Jeremiah 12:5)? Satan has charged God with being unfair (the great controversy). He has said that man cannot keep His law. But, God pointed to Job and gave all an example of one who was keeping His law perfectly. Yes, he fell, but that does not take away from the character Job had developed by being converted and waking in the Spirit by the power of Christ. Job learned the lesson and he repented, and God continued to bless him. 

“'The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children forever.' Deuteronomy 29:29. Just how God accomplished the work of creation He has never revealed to men; human science cannot search out the secrets of the Most High. His creative power is as incomprehensible as His existence.” — Ellen G. White, Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 113.

What warning, however, should we take from the following texts in regard to the great limits of human knowledge? 1 Cor. 3:19, 1 Cor. 1:18–27.

We are not God, so we will never understand it all. This is not the lesson we are to learn from the Book of Job. Let's look at what God would have us learn. From chapters one and two. There are those who keep the law of God perfectly through an abiding Savior. It is God who has the power to keep man from sinning if we will make a full surrender as Job had done. God said
"And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?  Job 1:8    There are multitudes who will pervert the counsel of God and twist this in an attempt to do Satan's bidding. Yet, we know in so doing they are on the wrong side of "the great controversy." Satan has charged God with being unfair by requiring man and angels to keep His law. He has said that man cannot keep His law. And, so we hear this from the pulpits today.

Lesson two. There is a period of probation granted to man where he has been given temporal life. A time to learn of God and to develop a character which will fit him for heaven. Satan cannot take life away unless God allows it. We see this clearly with the protection of Job's family, and then with the protection of Job's life.
"Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side?" Job 1:10. There are some in God's church who will argue against this truth. Yet, again we read that the all powerful God of heaven protects life while probation lingers. Jesus is our Mediator. "And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life." Job 2:6.

At this point in the Book of Job, Job had not sinned. But, as the attack upon Job's character continued, Job took his eyes off of Christ and began to say things that were not true in an effort to defend himself. He took the glory to himself for his past achievements. And, he blamed God for his misery. God's faithful servant Elihu reproves Job for his sins.
"Surely thou hast spoken in mine hearing, and I have heard the voice of thy words, saying, I am clean without transgression, I am innocent; neither is there iniquity in me. Behold, he findeth occasions against me, he counteth me for his enemy, He putteth my feet in the stocks, he marketh all my paths. Behold, in this thou art not just." Job 33:8-12

Elihu rebukes Job's self righteousness.
"For Job hath said, I am righteous: and God hath taken away my judgment. Should I lie against my right? my wound [is] incurable without transgression. What man [is] like Job, [who] drinketh up scorning like water? Which goeth in company with the workers of iniquity, and walketh with wicked men. For he hath said, It profiteth a man nothing that he should delight himself with God. Therefore hearken unto me, ye men of understanding: far be it from God, that he should do wickedness; and from the Almighty, that he should commit iniquity. For the work of a man shall he render unto him, and cause every man to find according to [his] ways. Yea, surely God will not do wickedly, neither will the Almighty pervert judgment." Job 34:5-12.  

Elihu defends God's character. God did not cause Job's pain.
"Touching the Almighty, we cannot find Him out: He is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: He will not afflict." Job 37:23. Elihu speaks the truth about the character of God. Job says nothing in response. He keeps his mouth closed, as do the other men. They know the Spirit of God is with the young man. Elihu's rebuke is followed directly by the very same rebuke from God Himself. Lesson three, God wants to use man to not only teach and live the truth, but to help others who have lost their hold on God.

Lesson four, church leaders can influence even those who are perfect in Christ to stumble. By falsely attacking the character of another, it poses a great temptation. Of course the decision to sin is that of the sinner. Lesson five: God is not pleased when we "darken" His counsel.
"Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me." Job 38:1-3. The perversion of the truth causes the loss of souls from whom Christ died. Yet, so many are not careful, and others seek to prove their own teaching by twisting the Truth. 

Even with all the knowledge humans have accumulated in the past few hundred years, the Creation remains full of wonders and mysteries that we can barely fathom. The more we learn about the created world, the more amazing and mysterious it appears to us. In what ways does the created world cause you to marvel before the power of our God?

The fifth and most important lesson God has for His children in the Book of Job is that of understanding the character of our God. Job and his three friends were wrong about God's character. God did not afflict Job, any more than God is going to burn sinners in hell for eternity. God did allow Job to be tried. It was for Job's good and God's glory if Job would have remained in connection with Christ. He would have been a great witness of God's power to keep from sin. In trials none can mistake the supernatural power invested in those who are in a converted state. We see this in the first two chapters! What a witness!! God's grace is powerful. And, even though Job fell, his developed character was such that Satan lost the challenge he had made to God. Job did not curse God, even though he lost all he had, except his wife who told him to curse God. 

In "the great controversy" we have the understanding of why God allows bad things to happen to "good" people. God allows Satan to continue on for a short period of time. There is a demonstration of the principles of his ways, and of God's ways. He is the destroyer, not God. God is seen to be a God of love and justice.

After prayerfully studying the Book of Job, we have these important lessons that will help prepare us for what is soon to come upon the Earth. Let us take care to abide in Christ and thus have power to not pervert the Word of God, and to be able to rightly represent the character or our God. This is what it means to "give glory to God."

In 1844, God began a most important work of judgment. He also began the work of preparing a people to be His witnesses of the power of grace to keep the soul from sin. His great demonstration will be seen in His church. His glory will be revealed in His people. The answer to the question about God's character has been entrusted to His church. Why do bad things happen to "good" people? Why did God allow Job to suffer so greatly? It is not a mystery. The Bible reveals there is good to be had from suffering.
"We glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

The Spirit of Prophecy reveals the truth:
"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. 'Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.' Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor." Desire of Ages, pg 224.

In Wednesday's lesson we find the wisdom of the wise. It is God's wisdom that has been entrusted to those whom the end of the world has come upon. The wise will understand.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »

Thursday December 8

Repenting in Dust and Ashes

Read Job 40:1–4 and Job 42:1–6.

40:1   Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said, 
 40:2   Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct [him]? he that reproveth God, let him answer it. 

What was Job’s response to God’s revelation of Himself?

Obviously Job was overwhelmed by what God had shown him. In fact, in Job 42:3, when he says, “ ‘ “Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?” ’ ” (NKJV), he was simply repeating God’s first question to him. Job knew the answer now: it was Job himself who spoke about what he really didn’t know.

It was more than speaking about what he did not know. He "darkened" God's Word. He contradicted God in attempt to justify himself. "Overwhelmed" is the first time I have heard this word used for repentance.

Notice, too, what Job said in Job 42:5. Though he had only heard about God, now that he saw God—that is, now that he got a better view of God—he saw himself for what he really was. That’s why he reacted as he did, abhorring himself and repenting in dust and ashes.

"For what he really was"? Or for what he had done? He was repentant for what he had done. He brought reproach upon God for misrepresenting Him in Word and deed.

Read Isaiah 6:1–5 and Luke 5:1–8.

6:1   In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 
 6:2   Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. 
 6:3   And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, [is] the LORD of hosts: the whole earth [is] full of his glory. 
 6:4   And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke. 
 6:5   Then said I, Woe [is] me! for I am undone; because I [am] a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. 

5:1   And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret, 
 5:2   And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing [their] nets. 
 5:3   And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship. 
 5:4   Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. 
 5:5   And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. 
 5:6   And when they had this done, they enclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. 
 5:7   And they beckoned unto [their] partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink. 
 5:8   When Simon Peter saw [it], he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. 

How do the reactions described there parallel that of Job?

It is true that true repentance comes from seeing the goodness of God, and what we have done to bring reproach upon God. Yes, when we sin, we are reminded of who we are apart from God. When we sin, we are in a different position than when we are walking in the light of God's love and grace. We do not need to sin in order to know who we are apart from God. Peter had lacked faith, Isaiah had been casting woes upon Israel. In seeing God in his perfection, they saw their own fallen nature. Yes, Job did also. Like Moses who sinned at the end of life, Job was not just thinking of his fallen nature, but of his recent sins. He repented of his sins that God pointed out very boldly.

What we see in all these cases are manifestations of a key Bible truth, and that is the sinfulness of humanity. Job was “blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil” (Job 1:1, NKJV). And despite Satan’s best attempts to turn him against God, Job stayed faithful through it all. We are dealing here with a solid, faithful believer in the Lord.

It would be good to acknowledge that when God said he was "perfect" that he was indeed perfect in his obedience from the heart to all God had asked of him. And, to understand that even when he lost all, and was made sick, he still glorified God. But, to ignore his self righteousness, to ignore his justifying himself, and condemning God, fails to see his fall from grace.

And yet—what? As with Isaiah and Peter, a glimpse of the holiness and power of God was enough to make Job cringe with a sense of his own sinfulness and smallness. That’s because we are all fallen, sin-damaged beings whose very nature itself brings us in to conflict with God. That’s why, in the end, no one can save himself; no one can do enough good works to merit any favor before God.

It appears the author of our lessons is mixing up our "sinfulness" with our "sins". Job sinned. He was no longer perfect and blameless. There is a difference between having sinful flesh, and allowing the sinful flesh control. Apart from Christ we have no power to keep the body under.

Why has the lesson skipped over Job attempting to save himself? Why do we not see here in this week's lesson God rebuking Job's self righteousness?
  "Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?" Job 40:8. Not convinced? Then there is more we have not seen quoted: "Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret. Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee." Job 40:13,14.

That’s why we all—even the “best” among us, those who like Job are upright and blameless and who fear God and shun evil—need grace, need a Savior, need Someone to do for us what we can never do for ourselves. Fortunately we have all that, and more, in Jesus.

Yes, but not all have Jesus. What does it mean to have Christ? How can we obtain this great Gift?

Imagine yourself, right now, standing face to face before God. What do you think your reaction would be?

Even before Job sinned, in the perfection of his heart, he would fall on his face. We are evil by nature, and it is only our connection with Christ that places any good thing in man. We ought to know this. Therefor, we all would fall on our faces before our creator God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
Friday December 9

Further Thought: “God has permitted a flood of light to be poured upon the world in both science and art; but when professedly scientific men treat upon these subjects from a merely human point of view, they will assuredly come to wrong conclusions. It may be innocent to speculate beyond what God’s word has revealed, if our theories do not contradict facts found in the Scriptures; but those who leave the word of God, and seek to account for His created works upon scientific principles, are drifting without chart or compass upon an unknown ocean. The greatest minds, if not guided by the word of God in their research, become bewildered in their attempts to trace the relations of science and revelation. Because the Creator and His works are so far beyond their comprehension that they are unable to explain them by natural laws, they regard Bible history as unreliable. Those who doubt the reliability of the records of the Old and New Testaments, will be led to go a step further, and doubt the existence of God; and then, having lost their anchor, they are left to beat about upon the rocks of infidelity.” — Ellen G. White, Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 113.

This has a bearing on our lesson. Do we doubt the reliability of the record given us regarding the experience of Job? Have we studied what is written, or are we trusting not in the record, but what is said about the record? We have before us 42 chapters which go into great detail about Job's experience. Such as Elihu's statement that God "will not afflict." Job 37:23. Do we find anything n the words of Elihu that are not truth? Then, we accept his account, especially since it is confirmed by the Words of God?  If not, then what does that say about our acceptance of the record given us in the Old Testament? Are we going to trust it, or the fallible traditions of man? Did Job sin, or not? Whom shall we believe, man or God? This is getting serious, is it not? It appears that a Laodicean church has put its faith in the wisdom of man rather than in the wisdom of God as entrusted to us in Scripture.

Discussion Questions:

Look at the Ellen G. White statement in Friday’s study. What evidence do we see that what she warned about is actually happening, especially in the area of science? What are some things that science, at least as now practiced, teaches that are in blatant contradiction to God’s Word?

Alfred North Whitehead, an influential mathematician and author who lived in the previous century, said the following: “Fifty-seven years ago it was when I was a young man in the University of Cambridge. I was taught science and mathematics by brilliant men and I did well in them; since the turn of the century I have lived to see every one of the basic assumptions of both set aside. . . . And yet, in the face of that, the discoverers of the new hypotheses in science are declaring, ‘Now at last, we have certitude.’ ”—A. N. Whitehead, Dialogues of Alfred North Whitehead. What should this tell us about how careful we need to be in accepting what the world’s “great men” teach us, especially when what they teach blatantly contradicts God’s Word?

What are some of the marvels of Creation that modern science has revealed to us that people in the time of Job (or even just two hundred years ago) couldn’t possibly have understood? How do these things reveal to us even more the amazing creative power of our Lord?

It is true that modern science has revealed how great is the creative power of God. But, the greatest miracle God can do is to recreate man in His image. It was easy for God to create Adam from the dust of the ground, but how easy is it for Him to recreate Job in His image? How easy is it for Him to recreate you and me in His image? The difficulty comes in man's part. While God's part is immeasurably large, and our part is immeasurably small, without our part we shall not reveal God's glory (character).

There is scientific truth about creation revealed in God's rebuke of Job, but the lessons from the Book of Job have nothing to do with science and God's knowledge of nature. It has everything to do with Job's perfection of character when abiding in Christ and then the truth that when a "perfect" man turns his eyes away from God, his fallen nature takes over and he says things that are not true. When God rebukes Job, we find that what Elihu said about Job was true. Job was self righteous.  "Out of the whirlwind comes truth out of the mouth of God. Let us study it carefully. It is shameful to see this truth perverted or just ignored.

It is left with us as to what we shall believe about the Book of Job. God will not force anyone to accept His truth. Look at the nation of Israel when Jesus came to them, and they knew Him not. They had been entrusted with the sacred oracles of God, but they had rejected the truth. So it is today. God has entrusted the Seventh-day Adventist Church with His truth. But, the church remains in a Laodicean condition believing it is rich and increased with goods, but knowing not it is miserable, and wretched, and poor, and blind, and naked. Thus, the truth has been perverted and many for whom Christ has died are being led away from Jesus and His truth. But, my friends, if you were of such a mind, you would not be reading this. We are not attempting to convince the ones fighting against the truth, but seeking to find those who are wanting the truth so they may live it and bring honor and glory to God.   

It is true we have been strong in defending God's truth. Time is short. Jesus is coming soon. Before He comes, the church will see revival and reformation. There will be a shaking in the church caused by those who rise up against the truth. The truth will separate those who fight against it from those who walk in it.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34.

Let us not be as was Job when he could not endure the attack upon his character. Let us abide in Christ, that when falsely accused, we will bear with the infirmities of the weak. It is this witness that God is waiting for. He is seeking those who will glory in their tribulations, knowing their trials will work for their good and His glory as they abide in Him."Fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

juliusnyar

• Julius Alfayo
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 02:39:31 AM »
Richard before this quarter lesson came I never understood well about Job having sinned.Many years in the church we are used to reading chapter 1 and 2 of the book of Job and have never taken time to read deep into the other chapters.I remember last week in our sabbath school lesson class the class teacher(first elder) and other members said that Elihu was arrogant when addressing Job and the 3 other friends.He went further to advise young members of the class that they need to respect older people and address them with respect.But when I challenged the class to read the words of Elihu to Job and then also I asked them why only Job and the 3 friends were asked by God to repent the class members looked surprised.I had to remind them that Elihu was inspired by God and thats why immediately after he talked to Job and his friends God takes over with a similar rebuke.May we pray hard because whats being taught in this quarter has left many church members more lost and confused.
I pray that this sabbath I be able to articulate well what this lesson means for us.I want to pose the following questions to the class this coming Sabbath and if they be answered well then I will be content we are on the right track:
1. why do good people suffer
2. Did Job sin or not
3. Did Elihu sin or not.
I believe God's Spirit will take control and help us learn the truth from Him and not from wisemen of this world.God bless James and pastor for the way God has inspired you to make me see what I hadnt seen well in the book of Job

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
It is the Holy Spirit that has opened your mind, juliusnyar. God will give you grace my brother to stand on the truth when others will continue to resist the truth. Let us hold on to Jesus that we will give all the the honor and glory to the one that gave all for us!

juliusnyar

• Julius Alfayo
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 02:29:33 AM »
Pray for the leadership of our churches because most leaders including ordained pastors are leading church members astray through their words and actions presented from our pulpits.May God do His will and revive our church members

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:12 AM »
Yes, my dear brother, the church is in need of revival and reformation. Therefore the Book of Job is important. We see that Job the greatest of all, could not help his three friends, or anyone else, when he lost hold on God. He misrepresented the character of God not only in His example, but in his words also. Now, we look around in the church today, and we see the influence of Job's fall from grace. Many call his example the converted Christian experience. They go to long efforts to explain his words as those of a truly converted man. And, because Job is thought to be converted, then Elihu who is sent of God must be arrogant when he helps Job see his sin.

Even when God rebukes Job, those who have been influenced by Job's words, reject the simple statements made by God Himself that Job had sinned. It was just what Elihu said, he was "self righteous".  It is so very amazing that those who stand on vantage ground, who have been educated in seminary, who hold high positions as teachers in the church, will take God's rebuke of Job and twist it to say Job did not sin, and Elihu was not God's messenger.

There are so many lessons that are present truth for us today, not the least of which is that even though we are right in regards to the truth in the Book of Job, that does not mean we are connected with Christ. How do we respond to those who are wrong, and attack our character? When one older than me, says I am "arrogant" for reproving those who are leading so many astray by their words which darken God's truth, how do I feel? Am I just like Job? Do I not bear with the infirmities of the weak? Do I feel sorry for myself because others attack my character and the truth? If so, I have not learned the lesson from Job's fall. He could endure all, but he fell when his character was falsely attacked. Instead of holding on to Jesus and ministering to the ones in error, he began to feel sorry for himself and took the honor and glory of his past experience to himself. 

Over and over we have presented the Words of Truth that came from the Bible, from Elihu, and from God revealing just what Job had done, but these words fall on deaf ears. Eyes will not be opened. And, the messengers of God will be attacked, just as was Job and his fourth friend. It is so very sad that our brothers and sisters will not kneel down, ask for the Holy Spirit, and study what is written. When Elihu reproves Job's three friends, at least they quit arguing, but they did not repent. And, Job quit speaking also. But, it appears that it took God Himself to spend considerable time pointing out to Job just how ridiculous his words were. We do not have another such long statement from God's own mouth wherein He directly reproved a man, in all of Scripture that I can think of.

Neither do we have a statement such as what happened to Job when God challenged Satan by pointing out how perfect was a human man. Yet, the "great controversy", that God's law was unfair and man could not keep it, was twisted to make it appear as something contrary to the truth. Job was perfect when he was abiding in Christ. He was God's witness, "evidence," that the law of God can be kept by man in fallen flesh when he is abiding in Christ, and His Spirit is in him. Where do we read that when all has been lost, and a man is in great physical pain, and his wife tells him to curse God, the man praises God? Such character! This is what God wants from you and me. Yet, the lesson fails to teach this truth. And, many in the church will stand up against it. Why?

Because, just as Israel was deceived about the gospel truth, so it is today. One's error must be protected. Pride is at stake. How very sad. Precious souls are being lost because God's truth is being "darkened by words without knowledge." Brother Julius, God does not expect us to convince anyone against their will. We are to look for those seeking the truth. They will gladly study for themselves that they may be approved of God and give honor and glory to Him. Thank you for taking time to share your understanding, and for speaking out when it is not popular to do so. But, there is much we can say that will not be profitable. It would be well to take care in how we share unpopular truth. Seek out those who want to know the truth, and let those who want to argue against it, keep their precious opinion. The truth is there when they want it.

Job is a hard Book to study since is goes on and on. But, like the genealogies in Scripture, they are for our benefit. We may not understand all that is written, but there are precious gems that the Holy Spirit will open to our minds. The Bible answers the question as to why "good" people suffer. Seventh-day Adventists have a clear teaching on this. We know Satan was left alive that the universe would understand the character of God, and that we would be able to choose whom we will serve. We must hate sin, and love righteousness. We are part of the demonstration as to this "great controversy" between Christ and Satan. God is not responsible for sin. He is busy resolving the problem of sin. He promises it will never arise again when this "demonstration" is over. We are blessed to be on center stage and to play an important role in this great drama. Therefore, seeing our trials will work for our good and God's glory, as we abide in Christ, we will glory in our suffering, as did Job until he fell. This we are to learn and share with a world soon to perish.

Brother Julius, please continue to share as you find precious gems in the Book of Job.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »

Thursday December 8

Repenting in Dust and Ashes

What was Job’s response to God’s revelation of Himself?

Obviously Job was overwhelmed by what God had shown him. In fact, in Job 42:3, when he says, “ ‘ “Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?” ’ ” (NKJV), he was simply repeating God’s first question to him. Job knew the answer now: it was Job himself who spoke about what he really didn’t know.

It was more than speaking about what he did not know. He "darkened" God's Word. He contradicted God in attempt to justify himself. "Overwhelmed" is the first time I have heard this word used for repentance.

It appears the author of our lessons is mixing up our "sinfulness" with our "sins". Job sinned. He was no longer perfect and blameless. There is a difference between having sinful flesh, and allowing the sinful flesh control. Apart from Christ we have no power to keep the body under.

Why has the lesson skipped over Job attempting to save himself? Why do we not see here in this week's lesson God rebuking Job's self righteousness?
  "Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?" Job 40:8. Not convinced? Then there is more we have not seen quoted: "Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret. Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee." Job 40:13,14.

That’s why we all—even the “best” among us, those who like Job are upright and blameless and who fear God and shun evil—need grace, need a Savior, need Someone to do for us what we can never do for ourselves. Fortunately we have all that, and more, in Jesus.

Yes, but not all have Jesus. What does it mean to have Christ? How can we obtain this great Gift?

Imagine yourself, right now, standing face to face before God. What do you think your reaction would be?

Even before Job sinned, in the perfection of his heart, he would fall on his face. We are evil by nature, and it is only our connection with Christ that places any good thing in man. We ought to know this. Therefor, we all would fall on our faces before our creator God.

I also have never heard the word "overwhelmed" as an interpretation for "repentance"--this seems to be a human construction of a divine truth that is being wrested here. The author of the lesson has mingled truth and error in a way that is so common that it will be passed off by many as truth. But the sinfulness of sin and the sinfulness of humanity are two separate issues that God deals with us in saving us to the uttermost. Not all have Christ, and it will be evidenced whether we have Christ in how we live--whether we are living by faith and manifesting the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, or whether we are operating by the flesh, and yielding to the impulses of degenerate humanity. While both Peter and Isaiah needed to bow in humility before God and acknowledge the sinfulness of their nature, the author of the lesson wants to make this the same as what Job experienced. It is not the same, as is CLEAR from the Bible passages referred to above in context. I am so thankful that all who want to know what the Bible actually teaches, and are unwilling to rely upon man for truth, will turn to the only reliable source of truth: a plain "thus saith the Lord"!! This is needed for anything we truly believe, and that is why I am so thankful for this forum.

I am so thankful for remnant-online, because we can freely look at the Bible evidence for what the book of Job actually teaches while comparing each statement of our quarterly lesson author's views with Scripture! There is an open, honest desire of the participants and respondents to know and to teach the truth, and there is a sense of unity in the desire to let the Holy Spirit use inspired sources of light (the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy) to give us a clear understanding as to what is a "thus saith the Lord."

Before this quarter, I cannot say that I clearly understood Job's sin, his repentance, or Elihu's inspiration by the Holy Spirit in which God used him to seek to lead Job to repentance (I was growing in that understanding, but things are becoming clear as noonday!). God could have reached his object in saving sinners without our aid, but in order for us to develop a character like Christ's, we must share in his work, and enter into his joy. In that sense, Elihu was given a special character growth blessing by the Lord in being able to be a messenger to seek to reach Job's self-righteous heart. Elihu waited patiently and was used by God to give Job a clear call to repentance. This is different than the situation of either Isaiah or Peter. And yet the Bible is not only clear about the sinful nature of humanity, it also assures us that this fallen flesh can be crucified, kept under, and no longer be the ruling force in our nature, as long as we are born again and partakers of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

This quarter as we have studied unitedly has made clear how important a constant connection with Christ is. We, like Job, cannot be faithful unless we have Christ abiding within us. We have no good "moral reserves" to fall back on when we take our eyes off Christ. All that is left for us apart from Christ is self and sin--but often it is a more incurable form of self, because once a person has been "religious" for a long time, the temptations to do overtly evil things may be less, but the temptation to self-righteousness may be very great. Job fell for this very subtle temptation that the devil had prepared for him. God had his way of escape (1 Corinthians 10:13). God was faithful. Job was not. Job needed to repent for taking righteousness to himself, and for misrepresenting his Maker. God sought to reach Job by a fellow human being--the younger, humble, Elihu. But that failed to work repentance.

God's visitation of Job from the whirlwind was a most striking rebuke to Job's pride and self-righteousness. Job felt no need of repentance until he was deeply convicted of what he had said wrong, and saw himself in altogether a new light. It is from this that we gain great encouragement--that God extended Job's life (his temporal life span as a period of probation) long enough for Job to repent and to again be "perfect" in moral character. It is our privilege to experience a repentance not to be repented of, and to stand before God's law without shame or remorse. God blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning--Job was MORE PERFECT after his fall and thorough repentance, because he more fully realized his sinfulness by nature and his continual need of Jesus! And as long as he would cling to Jesus and manifest a selfless spirit of intercession for others (as is seen in interceding for his three friends who also misrepresented God), Job revealed that God's grace is powerful enough not only to change a sinner into a saint, but also that GOd's grace is powerful enough to reclaim a Laodicean who has wandered from grace and feels righteous in his own eyes. Let us see the message for our time as a church:

Revelation 3:14-21
14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

It is in this sense that the book of Job especially applies to us at the present time, and reveals our great need as a people to repent before the Lord of our backsliding, our self-righteousness, and anything else that has been allowed to separate us from Jesus. Or, if we are abiding in Jesus and surrendered to Him and growing in perfection daily (gaining a fresh conversion daily, see 1 Corinthians 15:31), then we can rejoice in our trials and be a blessing to those around us who are accusing us or are misrepresenting God. Praise the Lord for this precious book of the Bible written by Moses under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

colporteur

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 06:15:29 AM »

Do we understand that before Job's repenting in dust and ashes that he was somewhat ignorantly and innocently self righteous ? In other words he was indeed righteous but did not fully grasp where all the power to be so came from ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »

cp, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this important lesson. Are you saying Job was both righteous and self righteous at the same time? Can we know Job's heart when he condemned God? Was his heart fully given to Christ at that time?

colporteur

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:06 AM »

cp, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this important lesson. Are you saying Job was both righteous and self righteous at the same time? Can we know Job's heart when he condemned God? Was his heart fully given to Christ at that time?

Job lacked understanding and yet he was still faithful. This was the issue. I don't see Job as condemning God so much as not understanding why this was all happening and yet he did not curse God. I think this is a matter of perspective. God said that Job was "perfect and upright." I take that to mean he was righteous.  He was perfect and upright because of the Lord working in him. Perfect and upright does not mean perfect knowledge.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »
Amen, perfect in moral character does not mean perfect in knowledge.  But, Job did condemn God. And, he was not just ignorant about some things, he spoke things that were not true in his attempt to justify himself.

Cp, you are so very right when you say Job WAS perfect and upright when God said he was. But, that does not mean he would remain forever perfect and upright. We must continue on in the story to learn of Job's fall from grace. He lost his hold on God and was therefore not perfect and upright anymore. But, again, he did not remain that way. He repented of his sins.

colporteur

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
Richard;  Which verses would you say indicate that Job condemned God ?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
cp  40:8

God continues His strong rebuke of Job adding more of Job's sins to the list.

40:6   Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said

40:15   Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. 
 40:16   Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly. 
 40:17   He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. 
 40:18   His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron. 
 40:19   He [is] the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach [unto him]. 
 40:20   Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play. 
 40:21   He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. 
 40:22   The shady trees cover him [with] their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about. 
 40:23   Behold, he drinketh up a river, [and] hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. 
 40:24   He taketh it with his eyes: [his] nose pierceth through snares. 

41:1   Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord [which] thou lettest down? 
 41:2   Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn? 
 41:3   Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft [words] unto thee? 
 41:4   Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever? 
 41:5   Wilt thou play with him as [with] a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens? 
 41:6   Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants? 
 41:7   Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears? 
 41:8   Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more. 
 41:9   Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not [one] be cast down even at the sight of him? 
 41:10   None [is so] fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me? 
 41:11   Who hath prevented me, that I should repay [him? whatsoever is] under the whole heaven is mine. 
 41:12   I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion. 
 41:13   Who can discover the face of his garment? [or] who can come [to him] with his double bridle? 
 41:14   Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth [are] terrible round about. 
 41:15   [His] scales [are his] pride, shut up together [as with] a close seal. 
 41:16   One is so near to another, that no air can come between them. 
 41:17   They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered. 
 41:18   By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes [are] like the eyelids of the morning. 
 41:19   Out of his mouth go burning lamps, [and] sparks of fire leap out. 
 41:20   Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as [out] of a seething pot or caldron. 
 41:21   His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth. 
 41:22   In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him. 
 41:23   The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved. 
 41:24   His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether [millstone]. 
 41:25   When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves. 
 41:26   The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon. 
 41:27   He esteemeth iron as straw, [and] brass as rotten wood. 
 41:28   The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble. 
 41:29   Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear. 
 41:30   Sharp stones [are] under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire. 
 41:31   He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment. 
 41:32   He maketh a path to shine after him; [one] would think the deep [to be] hoary. 
 41:33   Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. 
 41:34   He beholdeth all high [things]: he [is] a king over all the children of pride. 

After reading what the Bible says, and what God Himself said to Job, will you still say Job did not sin? Will you still say that Elihu was arrogant and doing the same as Eliphaz the Temanite, and Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite? Where is Elihu wrong when he said he was moved by the Spirit to reprove Job of the same thing for which we now hear God reproving Job?

There are important lessons for us in our day in the Book of Job. The lesson does not bring them out. There are two different religions involved. Be as the faithful Bereans and study this Book for yourselves, not depending on the wisdom of man. We will find many truths uttered by Job and his three friends, but Satan has always mingled truth with error. Present truth is found in the Words of God in chapters 1,2, and again in 32-37 with the words of Elihu, ending with these:
"Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: He is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: He will not afflict. Men do therefore fear Him: He respecteth not any that are wise of heart." 37:23,24. Then we read the Words spoken by God Himself in the last five chapters, 38-42. We have shared all of the Words spoken by God from chapter 38 to 41, but now we will continue with the last chapter wherein God continues to reveal who it is that has sinned. He tells us who has repented and who needs yet to repent. Some will still reject the truth and attack the character of Elihu just as Job's three friends had attacked the character of Job when he had not sinned.