Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 10--4th Quarter 2016--The Wrath of Elihu  (Read 4796 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Lesson 10 November 26–December 2       

RESPONSE TO LESSON IN NAVY BLUE

The Wrath of Elihu

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Job 13:28, Job 28:28, Job 32:1–5, Job 34:10–15, Ezek. 28:12–17, Job 1–2:10.

Memory Text: “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9

And so it goes, the battle of words between Job and these three men, words that at times are profound, beautiful, deep, and true. How often people will quote from the book of Job, even quotes from Eliphaz, Bildad, or Zophar. And that’s because, as we have seen over and over, they did have a lot of good things to say. They just didn’t say them in the right place, at the right time, in the right circumstances.

And, they darkened the Truth, they darkened God's counsel by words without knowledge. They were not the only ones who brought reproach upon God and His Word. Job spoke "words that at times are profound, beautiful, deep, and true." He was no different than his friends in this regard. Some want to turn a blind eye to Job's darkening God's counsel, but God will not do so. The very first thing God says to Job when addressing him personally is "Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me." Job 38:2,3.

What this should teach us is the powerful truth of these texts in Proverbs 25:11–13:

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver. 

As an earring of gold, and an ornament of fine gold, [so is] a wise reprover upon an obedient ear. 

As the cold of snow in the time of harvest,
so is a faithful messenger to them that send him:
for he refresheth the soul of his masters.

Unfortunately, those weren’t the words that Job was hearing from his friends. In fact, the problem was going to get worse because, instead of just three people telling him he’s wrong, a new one comes on the scene.

Yes, another comes on the scene, but no, the problem is not going to get worse. Elihu is
"as the cold of snow in the time of harvest." He was "a wise reprover." Let us not darken the Word of God by placing a human interpretation upon what has been inspired. He reproved all four men, not just Job. Listen to what he reproved the men of. Was it true?   

When, as a new Christian, I read the first couple of chapters in the Book of Job, I made the mistake (sin) of saying that a teacher who taught Job had been self righteous was in error, that Job was not self righteous. I then studied the whole Book of Job and read that both Elihu and God reproved Job for being self righteous. As I contemplated the words of Job, I could then see he was indeed self righteous, darkening God's truth.
"So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes." Job 32:1. Before taking a position on this very pointed controversy, as to Job sinning, prayerfully study the whole Book. This will help many to not darken God's counsel, as we see being done in this week's lesson. Elihu was filled with the Spirit of God and was sent by God to reprove Job.   "I said, I will answer also my part, I also will show mine opinion. For I am full of matter, the Spirit within me constraineth me. Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles. I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer." Job 32:17-20.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 10--4th Quarter 2016--The Wrath of Elihu
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »
Sunday November 27

Miserable Comforters

Even after Job’s powerful expression of faith (Job 13: 15, 16), the verbal sparring continued. Over the course of many chapters, the men go back and forth, arguing many deep and important questions about God, sin, death, justice, the wicked, wisdom, and the transient nature of humanity.

What truths are being expressed in the following texts?

Job 13:28 "And he, as a rotten thing, consumeth, as a garment that is moth eaten."

In our mortal state we are finite, subject to weakness, death, and infirmity. But praise God there is a way for us to look upon the brighter side of reality, and praise God in our trials. Had Job learned to do this, he would not have sinned against God by murmuring and dwelling upon the dark side of things. It is because he took his eyes off Christ that he "cursed his day" (Job 3:1), and preferred death to life. May we learn to keep our focus upon Christ in our trials--and then they will prove a blessing (see Romans 5:1-5).

Job 15:14–16

14 What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
15 Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight.
16 How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinketh iniquity like water?

While it is true that by nature man is sinful and can do no good thing until he repents and experiences a transformation of heart and mind by becoming a partaker of the "divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4), it is an error that is often believed by many Christians that sin is natural, and cannot be overcome. Some want to teach that even in the investigative judgment, Christ's character stands in the place of their sinful character that has not been cleansed and transformed. Such teachings lead to the Laodicean condition of the church at this present time, for they lead to the idea that one can be justified in his or her sins. While no one who comes into the world can claim to be without sin (see 1 John 1, verse eight), it is an error to believe that God cannot cleanse the heart and mind and make a repentant sinner holy, who allows Christ to live in the heart by faith so that all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in the life without one missing.

Job 19:25–27

25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

This is a wonderful acclamation of the hope of the resurrection. But Job need not wait until then to be praising his Redeemer. We glorify God most clearly as we praise Him in the midst of our trails, rather than thinking we must simply moan, groan, and wait for heaven and the resurrection. Christ's resurrection is a reality to us NOW--as we allow Him to abide in the heart now!

Job 28:28 "And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding."

To turn from sin and to fear the Lord indeed reveal that one is responding to the work of the Holy Spirit. May we realize that only through Christ can we truly overcome sin, and that we must maintain a vital connection with Him by beholding His loveliness in order to resist the smallest temptation. Apart from Him we have no life, and sin reveals that separation between the soul and God.

Through all these chapters the arguments continued, neither side conceding its position. Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar each in their own way, each with their own agenda, didn’t let up in their argument about how people get what they deserve in life; and thus, what came upon Job had to be just punishment for his sins. Job, meanwhile, continued to lament the cruel fate that had befallen him, certain that he did not deserve the suffering. Back and forth they sparred, each “comforter” accusing Job of uttering empty and vain words, and Job doing the same to them.

The spirit that they manifested towards one another revealed that they were separated from God, but the book of Job (which is so important to read in its entirety) clearly shows that God granted these men a period of probation in which they could come to repentance. Job was unreasonable and sinful in his murmurings. Eliphaz, Zophar, and Bildad were also sinful in their mingling of truth with error, and accusing Job. But sin on their part did not justify Job in his retaliation and self-righteous defense. Nor was Job reasonable or without sin in the way he murmured and complained. A statement from the Spirit of Prophecy is helpful in realizing the sin of murmuring and ingratitude (taken from a testimony to someone who was, like Job, unreasonable and sinful in their grief):
But you did not subdue your hearts before Him and repent of the great sin of ingratitude which had separated you from His love. Like Job, you felt that you had cause for grief, and would not be comforted. Was this reasonable? You know that death is a power that none can resist; but you have made your lives nearly useless by your unavailing grief. Your feelings have been little less than rebellion against God. I saw you all dwelling upon your bereavement, and giving way to your excitable feelings, until your noisy demonstrations of grief caused angels to hide their faces and withdraw from the scene." {5T 312.4}
[/color]
Job's sin of ingratitude and unreasonable grief was repented of, as well as his self-righteousness for which the Holy Spirit would move upon Elihu to reprove Job, who said to him, "Thinkest thou this to be right, that thou saidst, My righteousness is more than God's?" (Job 35:2). God Himself would reprove Job, as well: "Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?" (Job 38:2).

In the end, none of them, including Job, understood all that was going on. How could they? They were speaking from a very limited perspective, which all humans have. If we can get any lesson from the book of Job (one that should be obvious by now, especially after all the speeches of these men), it is that we as humans need humility when we profess to talk about God and the workings of God. We might know some truth, maybe even a lot of truth, but sometimes—as we can see with these three men—we might not necessarily know the best way to apply the truths that we know.

Humility is one thing, and it is important. But when error is being presented as though it were the gospel, and the Holy Spirit moves upon you, it is sinful to remain silent. Elihu was younger than the other men, and he waited humbly until the Spirit of God filling him could no longer be restrained: "For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me" (Job 32:18). It is the truest humility to also boldly proclaim the truth as it is in Jesus, and to call sinners to repentance, that they may be saved. God does not ask us to trust Him because we know everything, but because what He has revealed of Himself is worthy of our trust and confidence. Because of His great love for us, and the way He has provided the opportunity for us to be saved in His appointed way by making an entire surrender to Him and trusting Him to cleanse the heart and mind so we can be like Him in mind and character, we see that sin on the part of a professing Christian is unreasonable--it reveals a separation between the soul and God due to a lack of faith.

Look around at the natural world. Why does this alone show us how limited we are in what we know about even the simplest of things?

God Himself called Job to repentance by asking him to explain the things of nature, to help Job realize his utter dependence upon God and how out of place his complaining was, as well as his thoughts and words of self-righteousness. In nature is revealed the same principle of the gospel: utter dependence upon our Creator, and our inability to do any good thing separated from Him. All things in nature obey the Creator's will. It is only the selfish heart of man that lives unto itself, and is so deceived as to think it needs not an indwelling Savior constantly. Oh, praise the Lord God has not left us without witness even within the book of Job of the truths relative to the gospel and the great controversy. May we learn the lessons for our lives and be humble and teachable, but bold to stand in defense of the everlasting gospel, as was Elihu.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »

We might know some truth, maybe even a lot of truth, but sometimes—as we can see with these three men—we might not necessarily know the best way to apply the truths that we know.

The problem was not a matter of mis-applying truth, all four men were speaking things that God never spoke. This is a symptom of a much deeper problem. They all are in need of a new heart, they need to repent of their "teaching" contrary to God's counsel.[/color][/b] "Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who [is] this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me." Job 38:1-3.

Look around at the natural world. Why does this alone show us how limited we are in what we know about even the simplest of things?

This is true, but it has nothing to do with the Book of Job. Even after developing an advanced character, a man is not safe when he takes his eyes off of Christ. And, many do not see what it was that tempted Job to sin. It was not losing his children and all that he owned. It was not when he was attacked with boils. It was not when his wife told him to "curse God and die." None of these temptations brought Job down. The lesson so important in our day, the lesson that is present truth for us, is that it was elders with influence who were teaching "false doctrine," and falsely accused Job of sin. When the accusation was first made, Job had not sinned. Job was right. But, his three friends continued to attack his character. Soon, Job began to defend himself, and not God. He did not give glory to God for what He had done through Job, but pointed to all he himself had done. Just a little "self righteous"?

If when we read of Elihu reproving Job for his self righteousness, and we refuse to accept this truth, what does that say about us? And, when God reproves Job for his self righteousness, and we don't accept that either, what does this say about our standing before God? How many years before the church acknowledges that Job sinned....and Elihu was not arrogant and self righteous, but the servant of God?

God Himself called Job to repentance by asking him to explain the things of nature, to help Job realize his utter dependence upon God and how out of place his complaining was, as well as his thoughts and words of self-righteousness. 

Amen, Pastor Sean!  I find it interesting that God went on and on asking Job to explain things he knew nothing of. It reminds me of Jesus asking Peter three times if he loved Him. After such a long reproof, there was little chance Job would not understand how wrong he had been in darkening God's Word. God has so many ways to make His point. Job repented in "dust and ashes." Blindness can upon any of us, no matter to what level of perfection we have risen....through Christ. It happens when we forget about Christ in us, the hope of glory.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:38:09 PM »
Monday November 28

The Entrance of Elihu

From Job 26 to 31, the tragic hero of this story, Job, gives his final speech to the three men. Though eloquent and passionate, he basically repeats the argument he has been making all along: I do not deserve what has been happening to me. Period.

Job, like you and me, deserved to die. It is only because of Christ that he could live. In these chapters we understand Job loved God, but not with his whole heart. Self had taken  control of his life. He had no joy or peace since the Spirit no longer was in his heart. His mind was on self, not on God. He did not hear the "still small voice" speaking to him. So, God spoke through humanity. He wants to use you to do the same. If you come across one who is despondent as was Job, what would you do? If you heard someone taking the glory to himself and complaining about life, and saying he wanted to die. what would you do? We have an example before us in the manner and words of Elihu, Job's faithful fourth friend.

Again, Job represents so much of humanity in that many people suffer things that they don’t deserve. And the question, in many ways the hardest question of all, is—why? In some cases, the answer to suffering is relatively easy. People clearly bring the trouble on themselves. But so often, and especially in the case of Job, that’s not what happened, and so the question of suffering remains.

If we would prayerfully study the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy, we would learn why. Why did Abraham suffer as he was bringing the knife down on his son? Why did John the Baptist lose his head? Why did Isaiah die the way he did? Why did Elijah, suffer as he did? Why did David suffer the anger of King Saul? Why did Hosea suffer the loss of his wife? Why did Adam lose his son Abel? Why will the 144,000 suffer through the time of trouble such as never was? We have been told the answers. And, it is our blessing and responsibility to share the answer with the world, so that they will not misunderstand the character of our God. Satan has misrepresented God's character. And, all who call themselves by the name of Christ and do not follow the laws of God's government also misrepresent His character. Thus, we bring reproach upon Jesus and His Word. Job did that when he lost his connection with Christ. What means these verses?
"We glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.  Why does not the lesson present the answers given in Scripture such as this answer? Do you glory in your tribulations? If not, why not? Does the Bible lie? No, it does not. Then why does it say "we glory in tribulations"? The wise will understand.

As chapter 31 comes to a close, Job has been talking about the kind of life he led, a life in which nothing he had done justified what was happening to him now. Then the final verse of the chapter reads: “The words of Job are ended” (Job 31:40).

Yes, Job had indeed been talking about how good he had been. Shall I spend the same amount of time talking about what God has done through me, without mentioning it was God who was working through me? If I did so, what would you think of me? Then, why do you not think of Job in the same way? If you think about Moses' great sin in striking the rock, you will see the same pride. Like Job, Moses had lost his hold on Christ and manifested not only anger, but pride. Shall we overlook his sin also? Why is it that anyone would want to excuse Job's or Moses' sins?

Read Job 32:1–5.

32:1   So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes
 32:2   Then was kindled the wrath of Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the kindred of Ram: against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God
 32:3   Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and [yet] had condemned Job. 
 32:4   Now Elihu had waited till Job had spoken, because they [were] elder than he. 
 32:5   When Elihu saw that [there was] no answer in the mouth of [these] three men, then his wrath was kindled.

Do you find it meaningful that not only Elihu and God thought Job to be self righteous, but Job's three friends did also. But, the Bible does not say they thought he was, but that he was self righteous. Why was Elihu angry with the three friends? Like Moses coming down off of Sinai, his was a righteous indignation, they had wrongly attacked Job. In verse five we see the wisdom and grace of Elihu in respecting his elders.

What is happening here, and what is Elihu’s charge against Job and the other men?

The charge against Job was different than the sin of the three friends. Job "justified himself rather than God."

Here is the first time that this man, Elihu, is mentioned in the book of Job. He obviously heard some of the long discussions, though we are not told just when he appeared on the scene. He must have come later, because he was not mentioned as being with the other three when they first came. What we do know, however, is that he wasn’t satisfied with the answers he had heard during whatever part of the dialogue he heard. In fact, we’re told four times in these five verses that his “wrath” had been kindled over what he had heard. For the next six chapters, then, this man Elihu seeks to give his understanding and explanation of the issues that all these men confronted because of the calamity that struck Job.

Job 32:2 said that Elihu was angry with Job because he “justified himself rather than God,” a distortion of Job’s true position.

No, it was not a distortion at all. It is one thing for one without great influence in the church to darken
God's Word, but when it comes from the chief instructor in His church, it is like Job darkening God's counsel.

The Bible tells us what Job had done, who is man to alter God's Word?

40:6   Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
 40:7   Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
 40:8   Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? 
 40:9   Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him? 
 40:10   Deck thyself now [with] majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty. 
 40:11   Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one [that is] proud, and abase him. 
 40:12   Look on every one [that is] proud, [and] bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place. 
 40:13   Hide them in the dust together; [and] bind their faces in secret. 
 40:14   Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee. 

What should this tell us about how we need to be careful in the ways that we interpret the words of others?

If we ought to be careful in how we interpret the words of others, then how much more we ought to be careful to not change the truth found in Scripture. This is one of the most important lessons we find in the Book of Job. Do not darken God's word.

How can we learn to try to put the best construction rather than the worst on what people say?

We ought to be in a surrendered state to Jesus that self might be hidden in Christ. For when self is alive, then we are evil by nature and can do no good thing. It is in this state that we care little about what God has said and much about what man says. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Jesus told Nicodemus we must be born again, for that which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit. Let us make sure each day that we die to self (1 Cor. 15:31) and are filled with the Spirit of God, then we will be very careful to not darken the truth in the Bible.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 11:31:01 PM »

Tuesday November 29

Elihu’s Defense of God

A lot of commentary has been written over the ages about Elihu and his speech, some seeing it a major turning point in the direction of the dialogue. Yet, it’s really not that easy to see where Elihu adds anything so new or so groundbreaking that it changes the dynamic of the dialogue.

How can we ignore that Job reproved the three friends for what they had been doing to Job. Of course there is something new. It is true that Job's three friends saw Job was self righteous, that is why they ceased talking with him. But, they were guilty as was Job of two things which were most serious. First, they were spouting false doctrine, darkening God's Word. Second, they attacked Job's character falsely. They said he sinned and he had not when they first attacked him. Elihu understands this. He reproves all four of them for their sins. This is new, is it not?

Instead, he seems largely to be giving the same arguments that the other three had done in their attempt to defend the character of God against the charge of unfairness in regard to the sufferings of Job.

No, not at all. The three friends accused Job of sinning when he had not, and they preached a false doctrine. Elihu reproved Job for what he had done and he did not preach a false doctrine. He did not darken God's counsel. Therefore, when God reproved Job and his three friends, and he told job to pray for his three friends, He did not tell Job to pray for Elihu, for Elihu did not sin.
"And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me [the thing that is] right, as my servant Job hath. Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job." Job 42:7,8.

Read Job 34:10–15.

34:10   Therefore hearken unto me, ye men of understanding: far be it from God, [that he should do] wickedness; and [from] the Almighty, [that he should commit] iniquity. 
 34:11   For the work of a man shall he render unto him, and cause every man to find according to [his] ways. 
 34:12   Yea, surely God will not do wickedly, neither will the Almighty pervert judgment. 
 34:13   Who hath given him a charge over the earth? or who hath disposed the whole world? 
 34:14   If he set his heart upon man, [if] he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath; 
 34:15   All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust. 

What truths is Elihu expressing here? How do they parallel what the other men have said before? And though his words were true, why were they inappropriate for the current situation?

Yes, they were true, not like the false doctrines being spoken of by Job and his friends. And, they were most appropriate in an attempt to correct the false statements being made by Job and his friends. What, a friend such as Elihu is going to ignore the truth and the Spirit and leave Job and his friends in their sins? Not a true friend. Not even an enemy who loves God's supremely. Elihu was not foolish as were his four friends.

Perhaps what we can see with Elihu, as with these other men, is fear—the fear that God is not what they think Him to be. They want to believe in the goodness and the justice and the power of God; and so, what does Elihu do but utter truths about the goodness, the justice, and the power of God

Elihu speaks truth because God wants him to speak truth about His character and to reprove Job. Many who read Job assume God's truth about His character has not been revealed because this is a time prior to Israel. But, it appears to me that Elihu understands. He is attempting to correct their misunderstanding. Elihu is not fearful. Where would this speculation come from?

“For his eyes are upon the ways of man, and he seeth all his goings. There is no darkness, nor shadow of death, where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.” Job 34:21, 22.

“Behold, God [is] mighty, and despiseth not any: he is mighty in strength and wisdom. He preserveth not the life of the wicked: but giveth right to the poor. He withdraweth not his eyes from the righteous: but with kings are they on the throne; yea, he doth establish them for ever, and they are exalted.” Job 36:5–7.

“Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: he is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: he will not afflict. Men do therefore fear him: he respecteth not any that are wise of heart.” Job 37:23, 24.

If all this is true, then the only logical conclusion one must draw is that Job is getting what he deserves. What else could it be? Elihu, then, was trying to protect his own understanding of God in the face of such terrible evil befalling such a good man as Job.

First of all, when Elihu appears, Job is not "a good man." He is fallen and self righteous. But, this is not the issue. What is at stake is the character of God. He did not afflict Job, Satan did. But, God did allow it. So far the lesson has not said why bad things happen to "good" people. God leaves Satan on this Earth for a reason. What is that reason? Many reading our lessons here, understand why. Thus, you will not be misled by the lessons. It would be a blessing to many who read here to have others sharing their understanding. Register so that you can post. Send email to   administrator@remnant-online.org     to register.

Elihu is not attempting to protect anything. He has understanding of Spiritual matters and is being led by the Holy Spirit to reprove Job and his friends.
"I said, I will answer also my part, I also will show mine opinion. For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me. Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles. I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer. Let me not, I pray you, accept any man's person, neither let me give flattering titles unto man. For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away." Job 32:17-22.

Have you ever faced a time when something happened that made you fearful for your faith? How did you respond? Looking back, what might you have done differently?

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Do you trust God will all you have and all you are? If not, then you have not faith enough to enter heaven. Salvation requires trusting God will all the heart, not part of it. He has told us how to gain this faith. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ. In so doing you will be transformed into His image (character) by the Spirit. Read 2 Cor. 3:18. It is a promise. Do not look to man, but to God. Man will let you down, but Christ will never let you down!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »
Wednesday November 30

The Irrationality of Evil

All four of these men, believers in God, believers in a God of justice, found themselves in a dilemma: how to explain Job’s situation in a rational and logical manner that was consistent with their understanding of the character of God. Unfortunately, they ended up taking a position that turned out basically wrong in their attempt to understand evil, or at least the evil that befell Job.

No, Elihu was not wrong. Wherein did he err?  An interesting thought came to me today as I was reading
The Desire of Ages. It was written that many follow what religious leaders say is truth without studying for themselves. How many today quote from the Book of Job? How many quote Job himself? When you quote Job, are you quoting truth or error? How do you know since Job spoke things that were not true? Is it because you have studied for yourself, or are you accepting what a religious leader has said is tnrue? Most are just following the teachings of the church. And, therefore most do not believe Job sinned, they do not believe Job "darkened" God's Word. Yet, Job did, he did sin. "Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me." Job 38:1-3. Another evidence of the extent to which the Laodicean condition applies to the church today.

Ellen G. White offers a powerful comment in this regard. “It is impossible to explain the origin of sin so as to give a reason for its existence. . . . Sin is an intruder, for whose presence no reason can be given. It is mysterious, unaccountable; to excuse it is to defend it. Could excuse for it be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be sin.” — The Great Controversy, pp. 492,493.

Though she uses the word sin, suppose we replaced that word with another word, one that has a similar meaning: evil. Then the quote could read: It is impossible to explain the origin of evil so as to give a reason for its existence. . . . Evil is an intruder, for whose presence no reason can be given. It is mysterious, unaccountable; to excuse it is to defend it. Could excuse for it be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be evil.

So often when tragedy strikes, people will say or think: “I don’t understand this.” Or “This doesn’t make sense.” This is precisely what Job’s complaint had been about all along.

No, that is not what Job was murmuring about. He was speaking of "justice", not evil. He continued to attack the character of God by calling God unfair.  And, in defending himself, he spoke of his "greatness" as if he had done great things without God. So, Job was saying God is unfair, but I am not, "I am great." The lesson for us is that we might understand our continual need of a living connection with Christ, no matter how advanced is our relationship with God. Separated from Christ, we can do no good thing. Job is a witness of this. Yet, his character was such that when reproved he repented in "dust and ashes."
"Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." Job 42;6.

There is a good reason that Job and his friends can’t make sense of it: evil itself doesn’t make sense. If we could understand it, if it made sense, if it fit into some logical and rational plan, then it wouldn’t be that evil, it wouldn’t be that tragic, because it would serve a rational purpose.

Job and his three friends believed a lie someone had made up about the character of God. Elihu understood the truth. He corrected the lie. How is it today? Are there lies hatched from below that are taught by religious leaders? One of the most heinous of such lies is that God is going to punish unrepentant sinners for eternity, in the burning fires of hell. How very sad that so many have fallen for this lie. Can you name more such lies that will cause the loss of many souls? The Jew are a good example of what happens when a whole religious movement believes a lie. They put to death the Son of God because they trusted their religious leaders. Jesus tried to warn this as did His prophets. So it is today.

Here is one warning from Scripture.
"The wages of sin is death." And another "When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it." Ezekiel 33:13.

Look at these verses about the fall of Satan and the origin of evil. How much sense does his fall make? (Ezek. 28:12–17).

It makes no sense. But, that is not the issue in the Book of Job, unless we want to explain why so many will reject the plain statements given in Scripture as to God reproving Job of his sins and Job repenting. It makes no sense.

Here’s a perfect being, created by a perfect God, in a perfect environment. He’s exalted, full of wisdom, perfect in beauty, covered in precious stones, an “anointed cherub” who was in the “holy mountain of God.” And yet, even with all that and having been given so much, this being corrupted himself and allowed evil to take over. What could have been more irrational and illogical than the evil that came to infect the devil?

And what could be more irrational and illogical than to resist the truth about Job sinning? There is no explanation for continuing in sin when you read that God said to Job he was self righteous.

40:1   Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said, 
 40:2   Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct Him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it. 
 40:3   Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 
 40:4   Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. 
 40:5   Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further. 
 40:6   Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
 40:7   Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
 40:8   Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? 

What is your own experience with how irrational and inexplicable evil is?

We come into this world with a fallen nature. It is only through the Holy Spirit that we can do any good thing. We must be born again. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit (John chapter 3). We may excuse sin when there is no understanding of it, before our eyes are opened to it. That does not mean we have salvation by any means. Paul thought he was keeping the law perfectly when he was a young Pharisee, but he was not. The law of God reaches to the intent of the heart, not just outward actions.

God has provided a remedy for sin, in His innocent Son. There is no excuse to continue in sin when we have a knowledge of the plan of salvation and the Holy Spirit drawing us to Christ. God gives a period of probation where we are granted temporal life to discover our evil nature and to learn of God's grace, and accept it into the heart.

Today, Jesus stands at the door of a multitude of hearts, knocking, wanting in. There is no reason why any would choose to resist such love. How can it be explained that the church remains in a Laodicean condition, except it be the mystery of iniquity. Who would want to give up eternal life in a world without sin? A great mystery indeed!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »
Thursday December 1

The Challenge of Faith

Certainly the primary characters in the book of Job, as mere mortals seeing “through a glass darkly” (1 Cor. 13:12), were working from a very limited perspective, a very limited understanding of the nature of the physical world, much less the spiritual one.

The men involved in the Book of Job are Job, and his four friends, and God Himself. Our heavenly Father, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus were the main characters. All three were intimately involved in the lives of all five men. Because Job and his three friends did not understand the evil that came upon Job came from Satan does not mean that Elihu misunderstood. And, because Job did not understand where the evil came from does not make him ignorant of nature or of Spiritual truth. He was not. Job understood much more than most in God's church today. Otherwise, he would not have perfected a character above all men living on the Earth. It was through His knowledge of God and the Spiritual world that he overcame what many professing Christians have yet to do. And Elihu knew the still small voice that spoke to him. He comprehended what Job's four friends did not.....and what so many today cannot see.

Interesting, too, that in all these debates about the evil that befell Job, none of the men, Job included, discussed the role of the devil—the direct and immediate cause of all of Job’s ills. And yet, despite their own confidence about how right they were, especially Elihu (see Job 36:1–4), their attempts to explain Job’s suffering rationally all fell short. And, of course, Job knew that their attempts failed.

In other words, Job argued with Elihu also? Show us from Scripture where Job knew Elihu failed. It is not there, to the contrary, Job stopped his foolish speech when Elihu reproved him. And, Elihu pointed all four men to God and His glory. Read in context, and read the whole Book of Job, not excerpted verses. Otherwise you will be deceived.

Elihu not only glorified God, he made a very pointed statement about where the evil which afflicted Job did not come from. "Touching the Almighty, we cannot find Him out: He is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: He will not afflict."  Job 37:23. How does God feel about darkening His counsel? Why does He feel this way? Because speaking against the truth caused the loss of many souls for whom Christ died.

Even with our understanding of the story’s cosmic background, how well are we able to rationalize and explain the evil that befell Job? Read Job 1–2:10 again. Even with all this revealed to us, what other questions remain?

1:1   There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name [was] Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. 
 1:2   And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters. 
 1:3   His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east. 
 1:4   And his sons went and feasted [in their] houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. 
 1:5   And it was so, when the days of [their] feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings [according] to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually. 
 1:6   Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. 
 1:7   And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 
 1:8   And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that [there is] none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? 
 1:9   Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? 
 1:10   Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. 
 1:11   But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. 
 1:12   And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath [is] in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD. 
 1:13   And there was a day when his sons and his daughters [were] eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: 
 1:14   And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them: 
 1:15   And the Sabeans fell [upon them], and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 
 1:16   While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 
 1:17   While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 
 1:18   While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters [were] eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: 
 1:19   And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 
 1:20   Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, 
 1:21   And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. 
 1:22   In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly. 

Chapter 2

2:1   Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 
 2:2   And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 
 2:3   And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that [there is] none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause. 
 2:4   And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. 
 2:5   But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. 
 2:6   And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he [is] in thine hand; but save his life. 
 2:7   So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown. 
 2:8   And he took him a potsherd to scrape himself withal; and he sat down among the ashes. 
 2:9   Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. 
 2:10   But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips. 

With the opening chapters of Job before us, we have a view of things that none of these men did.

It is true that we better understand the "great controversy" in great detail. They did not. But, we know that Job and Elihu were far ahead of most professing Christians today. How many today would stand with God after losing all of their possessions and all of their children and workers? How many knowing the work of Satan would still glorify God after being afflicted and in pain? According to the author of our lesson, none. Then, how can we say that we have a view of things that Job and Elihu did not? They understood so much more than professors of religion today have. Spiritual blindness has come upon the church. Jesus says that as a people we are "miserable, wretched, and poor, and blind, and naked."

Thinking again on the idea that we better understand the "great controversy" in great detail, I need to amend that to say, we ought to, but since in our lessons it is not even pointed to as being the basis for which God pointed to Job, in the heavenly meeting of all the "Adams", I guess I have over estimated the understanding of some.

Nevertheless, even now the issues remain hard to understand. As we saw, far from his evil bringing this suffering to him, it was precisely Job’s goodness that caused God to point him out to the devil. So, the man’s goodness and desire to be faithful to God led this to happen to him?

Yes, indeed it did. We understand, or we ought to understand that Job was a witness to the power of God's grace to cleanse and keep from sin. But, we see here there are some who do not understand why God's people must pick up their cross and walk in the path of Jesus.

How do we understand this? And even if Job had known what was going on, wouldn’t he have cried out, “Please, God, use someone else. Give me back my children, my health, my property!” Job didn’t volunteer to be the guinea pig. Who would? So, how fair was all this to Job and to his family? Meanwhile, even though God won His challenge with the devil, we know the devil has not conceded defeat (Rev. 12:12); so, what was the purpose? And also, whatever good ultimately came out of what happened to Job, was it worth the death of all these people and all the suffering that Job went through? If these questions remain for us (though more answers are coming), imagine all the questions that Job had!

Jesus did not want to suffer separation from His Father, yet He did for our sake. Who of Christ's disciples would refuse to suffer for Christ's sake? Have we not read the Bible, and do we not know of history where men were burned at the stake for Christ's sake and sang to His glory?

And yet, here’s one of the most important lessons we can take from the book of Job: that of living by faith and not by sight; that of trusting in God and staying faithful to Him even when, like Job, we cannot rationalize or explain why things happen as they do. We don’t live by faith when everything is fully and rationally explained. We live by faith when, like Job, we trust and obey God even when we cannot make sense of what is happening around us.

Yes, this is an important lesson. Equally important is to understand that unless we are vitally connected to Christ, we cannot do what Job was called to do. Job held onto Christ far past what most today could do, but at last he let go and began not to glorify God, but to glorify self. The Book of Job moves beyond the simple truth of the gospel, and reveals the "great controversy" in more detail. It helps us to better understand why the 144,000, even though sealed, will have to go through a time of trouble such as never was, without a Mediator. Do you better understand why after completing 2/3 of the quarter?

What are the things you have to trust God for even though you don’t understand them? How can you continue to build that trust even when you don’t have answers?

Do we trust God with all of the heart? Then there are many things we do not understand that don't stop us from trusting Him. On the other hand if our faith is not strong, if we do not see our need of Christ continually, then how can we stand when the storm blows hard? We can't. Jesus is our only hope. The lesson asks how can we build our trust in Jesus? How well do you know Him? Maybe we need to know Him better? How do we get to know someone better? Ahhh, I think we have the answer. It would be well to spend a thoghtful hour each day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word. The Word is a revelation of Christ, the Word became flesh. By reading of His life, we are drinking His blood and eating His flesh. By beholding His grace we will be changed into the same image (character) as was Job!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 07:24:34 AM »
Friday December 2

Further Thought: In a discussion concerning the question of faith and reason, author John Hedley Brooke wrote about the German philosopher Immanuel Kant (1724–1804) and his attempt to understand the limits of human knowledge, especially when it came to the working of God. For Kant, “the question of justifying the ways of God to man was one of faith, not of knowledge. As his example of an authentic stance in the face of adversity, Kant chose Job, who had been stripped of everything save a clear conscience. Submitting before a divine decree, he had been right to resist the advice of friends who had sought to rationalize his misfortune. The strength of Job’s position consisted in his knowing what he did not know: what God thought He was doing in piling misfortune upon him.”—Science and Religion (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2006), pp. 207, 208. These men in the book of Job, and now Elihu, thought they could explain what happened to Job in a simple cause-and-effect relationship. The cause was Job’s sin; the effect was his suffering. What could be more clear-cut, theologically sound, and rational than that? However, their reasoning was wrong, a powerful example of the fact that reality and the God who created and sustains that reality don’t necessarily follow our understanding of how God and the world He created work.

When we turn to commentaries, rather than Scripture to find an answer to Truth, we will often be misled. And, if we are not, we are still in danger of making the arm of flesh our strength. We must look for answers in the Bible, not trusting in man. God does indeed send teachers, but the teachers sent of God point erring man to Christ and His Word, not to other men.

The commentary on commentary on commentary presented above is wrong. All three men, Brooke, Kant, and Goldstein all are lacking truth in regards to the suffering of Job. Elihu was not wrong. God did not require Elihu make sacrifice and repent.
"Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering." Job 42:6-8. After Job repented in dust and ashes, this is what God wanted from Job's three friends when God said "ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath." He wanted to hear their words of repentance also. But, there is no need for Job's fourth friend to repent, for he did not darken God's counsel, nor attack the character of any man falsely. His reproof of Job and his three friends was not only correct, but at the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Discussion Questions:

As we saw, in all the long speeches about poor Job’s situation and why it happened, the devil was not once mentioned. Why is that so? What does it tell us about how limited these men were in their understanding, despite all the truths that they had? What could their ignorance teach us about our own, despite all the truths that we have?

If we have not a living connection with Christ, we shall darken God's counsel just as Job and his three friends did. Even with the truth sitting before us in plain simple statements, we will pervert it.

“When we take into our hands the management of things with which we have to do, and depend upon our own wisdom for success, we are taking a burden which God has not given us, and are trying to bear it without His aid. . . . But when we really believe that God loves us and means to do us good we shall cease to worry about the future. We shall trust God as a child trusts a loving parent. Then our troubles and torments will disappear, for our will is swallowed up in the will of God.” — Ellen G. White, Thoughts From the Mount of Blessing, pp.100, 101. [/b]

How can we learn this kind of trust and faith? That is, what choices are we making now that will make our faith either stronger or weaker?

There are two things that strengthen our faith. First faith cometh by hearing, and hearing the by the Word. Our knowledge of God is what causes us to trust God and His promises. This is why the Book of Job is so important. Job had some issues in regards to God's character. The second thing that strengthens faith is our experience. Thoughts produce actions. Actions repeated form habits, and habits produce character. We need to introduce both of these truths into the story of Job. God was polishing the beautiful stone we see in the experience of Job. Obedience from the heart develops habits that form character. Disobedience forms habits that develop character in the opposite direction. Then we have a choice as to obey of disobey God. Without God we cannot obey from the heart. We need Jesus in order to obey from the heart. When Job separated from Christ, he had no power to resist the temptations to sin.

Job had developed a strong character, as testified to by God when he told Satan Job was perfect in moral character, there was no man like him in all the Earth. But, there were flaws that needed some polishing. How does this occur? You and I, who have studied our Bibles understand how it happens.

From the Book of Zechariah:

"And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God." 13:9.

From the Book of Malachi:

"But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness." 3:2,3.

From the Book of Romans:

"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." 5:3-5. 

There are many more statements that reveal why God allows us to suffer. As Seventh-day Adventists we know these truths. If this is not easy to understand, then let's look at a statement from a modern day prophet that explains perfectly why God allowed the trials to come to Job who was already revealing much fragrant fruit when he was abiding in Christ.

The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing.   
     "My Father is the husbandman. Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit He taketh away." While the graft is outwardly united with the vine, there may be no vital connection. Then there will be no growth or fruitfulness. So there may be an apparent connection with Christ without a real union with Him by faith. A profession of religion places men in the church, but the character and conduct show whether they are in connection with Christ. If they bear no fruit, they are false branches. Their separation from Christ involves a ruin as complete as that represented by the dead branch. "If a man abide not in Me," said Christ, "he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."   
     "And every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth [pruneth] it, that it may bring forth more fruit." From the chosen twelve who had followed Jesus, one as a withered branch was about to be taken away; the rest were to pass under the pruning knife of bitter trial. Jesus with solemn tenderness explained the purpose of the husbandman. The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart. There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the earthly supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God. The excessive foliage that draws away the life current from the fruit must be pruned off. The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the harmful growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.   
     "Herein is My Father glorified," said Jesus, "that ye bear much fruit." God desires to manifest through you the holiness, the benevolence, the compassion, of His own character. The Desire of Ages, pg 676.

God wants the fruit to be more abundant! Job had patience before the trials came, but he could become more patient. Do you want to give the last warning message to the world? That message has been entrusted to you, and to me. Listen to how it begins.

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him.

How do we give glory to God? By representing His character. Then we will glory in our tribulation, for it is producing a more perfect reflection of Christ as we abide in Him and gain patience and experience in the things of God. Having this understanding will help us to look beyond what we see with our eyes to the unseen world wherein is our Savior and our hope.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 06:00:49 AM »
In response to Friday's lesson, it strikes me that we have a perfect example of how sufferings were part of the Father's plan for His Son, Jesus Christ, who came to live in the flesh to reveal God's character.

Hebrews 5:7-9

7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him."

The pre-incarnate Son of God was perfect in character before He came to this earth. And He was perfect in character at each step of His human experience. But He suffered that He might be made perfect in preparation for His crowning sacrifice in Gethsemane and upon Calvary. Jesus at 12 was not ready to face Gethsemane's agony. But as Jesus daily submitted His will to the Father and suffered in His human experience, and prayed earnestly and perseveringly amid the struggles and torture of soul He faced, His character was made more perfect (not from a state of sinfulness to holiness, but from "glory to glory" (2 Corinthians 3:18). But there is a key for us to realize--unlike Christ, we are sinners, and we need a Savior. Christ's heart was never evil or impure, but our hearts must be cleansed from their natural state of being "desperately wicked" (Jeremiah 17:9), and made holy at conversion, which God PROMISES to do for each who fully surrender to Him: "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." (Ezekiel 36:26). Though we will still have a fallen nature that clamors for recognition and through which we will face temptation, through the power of Christ's indwelling Spirit we shall be able to keep the body under, and have Him working in us through the higher powers of the new heart and mind. Then we shall be able to grow in character as did Christ while we abide in Him. All that is given in Scripture for Christ has been given also for us abiding in Him!

Then sufferings is part of the joy of character growth and more mature perfection. We see this in Philippians 1:29: "For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake."

As we contemplate the privilege we have to follow Jesus today by abiding in Him, let us realize that when Job sinned he missed an incredible opportunity to suffer for His Lord Jesus who would also suffer intensely amidst the strife of tongues. Let us glory in tribulation and look to Christ constantly, realizing that every trial is only permitted for our ultimate good:

Romans 8:28: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Such a purpose we see in suffering, and it is also strikingly revealed in John the Baptist's experience as well:

God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. “Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.” Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor. {DA 224.5}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}