Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--4th Quarter 2016--Retributive Punishment  (Read 5418 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 7 November 5–11

Retributive Punishment

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--4th Quarter 2016--Retributive Punishment
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Job 8:1–22, Job 11:1–20, Isa. 40:12–14, Gen. 6:5–8, 2 Pet. 3:5–7.

Memory Text: “Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?” Job 11:7

The problem of human suffering surely continues to daunt humanity. We see “good” people suffer immense tragedy, while evil ones go unpunished in this life. A few years ago a book came out called Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? It was one of numerous attempts over the millennia to come to a satisfactory answer to that problem. It didn’t. Many other writers and thinkers have written of their struggle to come to terms with human suffering. They don’t seem to have found the right answers.

Bad things do indeed happen to "good people", but we had better come to an understanding that there are none good except God. Now, that does not mean we cannot become holy. At least our hearts may become holy. But, the Words of Jesus remain true
"none is good, save one, that is, God." Luke 8:19.  So, do we know that God cursed the ground for our good? Do we know that God cursed the woman also? "Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." Genesis 3:16. 
We ought to know this since here it is at the very beginning of the Bible.

It was for our good that God did this. While many find it hard to bear, and some even deny it is true, it is for our good, that we will learn of our dependency upon God for any good thing. For both men and women, there is help available when we are tried.

This theme, of course, is the theme of the book of Job, and in it we continue to explore why even “good” people, such as Job, suffer in this world. The crucial difference between the book of Job and the others, though, is that Job is not based on human perspectives of suffering (though we get plenty of that in the book); rather, because it’s the Bible, we get a look at God’s perspective on the problem.

This week we read more speeches from the men who came to Job in his misery. What can we learn from them, especially from their mistakes as they, as others have done, try to come to grips with the problem of pain?

In order to learn from Job's three friends we must understand Job's suffering and why it came. How does this apply to us? What does this verse have to do with Job's suffering?

"And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation [even] to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book." Daniel 12:1

Will God's people suffer in this time of trouble such as never was? If so, why would God allow this when they will be sealed?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 07:30:26 PM »
God allows the time of trouble as part of the final purification and character building of His people. Those alive in that time will have learned to glory in their tribulation, and they will behold the loveliness of Jesus and see their continual need of Him. Satan will be allowed to exert all his power against God's final remnant, but before an onlooking universe, the power of God's grace will be displayed. It will be seen that the weakest of the weak (those with fallen flesh about 6,000 years into the controversy on earth) are able to be kept by the power of the Holy Spirit abiding in the new mind and heart. Such a revelation will glorify God and will ensure that God's promise will come to pass in sealing the universe from sin ever arising again:

"What do ye imagine against the Lord? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time" (Nahum 1:9).

And so why did God allow Job to be tried like he was by the difficult speeches of his three friends? God desired for Job to continue to reveal a perfect character in tribulation, for Job to realize his continual need of his Savior. But Job let his mind wander because he started to feel sorry for himself and to seek to justify himself. May we learn from this lesson as we come close to the time of trouble quoted in Daniel 12:1. We need to realize that it does not matter how the attack or temptation may come--there is never an excuse to allow our minds to be separated from our lovely Jesus. We need Him continually to do any good thing, and apart from Him (if we sin a known sin) we have no life. Life is in Him, by His Spirit, and if we have not His Spirit we are none of His. The gospel is simple and yet a clear-cut call to realize our continual need of Christ. We have nothing good upon which to draw from self, we must cling to Christ for all righteousness (beholding His loveliness, and heeding the counsel to daily spend a "thoughtful hour" beholding His life and sacrifice, especially the closing scenes), and let Him work in and through us (with our minds continually cooperating) to overcome as Christ also overcame. But the promise is so glorious to those who do respond to the Laodicean message, who do see their continual need of Jesus, and who do allow Him to work a transformation of character entirely:

"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne" (Revelation 3:21).

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 06:07:00 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! And this is reason why the Book of Job is so important to study correctly. We see in it the war taking place in heaven and on this earth. There was Satan representing our Earth among the Adams of the other worlds when God pointed to Job as evidence that His law can be perfectly kept by humanity in sinful flesh. A demonstration of the power of grace to transform the life. How did Job ever get to the place where is character was so much stronger than was Adam's when he live in holy flesh? It was through trials and tribulations that he had endured. His life was not as represented in our lessons. No, Job had been tested and tried for many long years. He knew the weakness of the flesh. This is why he prayed and made sacrifice for his children every day. Character like a photograph is developed in the dark.

The church has mistaught the Book of Job for as many years as I have been in the church. Let us learn from the example of Job, both the good and the bad. Job was perfect in his response to the death of his children and the loss of all he had, except for his wife whom Satan left alive to tempt him to "curse God and die." Job was also perfect in his love for God and his response after being made sick from toe to head, and having to contend with an unfaithful wife. But, when sick and tired, it is much harder to cling to Christ, but there is no excuse not to. Job knew His need of Jesus. Satan had prepared the net for Job, and when Job lost sight of Jesus, just as Moses did at the end of his life, he was ready for the temptation wherein Job was overcome.

When his three friends began to tell him that his great trial had come because he had sinned, he knew it was not so. We can know when we are sinning or not when we are fully surrendered, which Job had demonstrated was the case, had he not? When someone praised God after losing all he had including all of his children, is he sinning?

But, his three friends did not leave it there. They continued to attack Job's character. Listening to his "friends" pointing to himself, was a temptation that helped to turn his eyes off of Christ and onto self. Job then began to think about how he felt and how the situation was. He wished he had never been born. Like Elijah, he wanted to die. Where is his faith? It failed. He was not as was Jesus in the garden. He looked past the suffering of the Lamb, to his own suffering and began to point others to his good in the days when he was respected. Yes, Job went on and on about what HE had done in the past, not what God had done through him. Self righteousness was exuding out of the fallen man. But, as with Moses and Elijah, this one fall was not going to keep him from hearing that still small voice. As the Spirit began to speak, Job's character was to turn to Jesus. God sent a fourth friend to reprove Job, then God Himself reproved Job.

Here we see evidence that God did not leave Job to wallow in the mire without help. His faithful friend had developed a character that would not reject the reproof. When Job repented, he was told to pray for his three friends because they had not yet repented as had Job. Notice that Job was not told to pray for Elihu, why not?

Yes, I have skipped ahead in the Book, and have suggested you do the same so that you are not led away from the truth. Read chapters 38, 40, and 42 so you can see the truth of Job's sin and repentance. Then you will be prepared to understand the importance of this Book. It is opening our minds to what God is doing in this anti-typical Day of Atonement. He is preparing a people to succeed where Job failed. When probation closes there will be no Mediator to reprove sin. God will have a church, not just one Elijah or Enoch, that will perfectly reflect His character and be able to live through the time of troubles such as never was. They will not take their eyes off of Christ, but will cling to Him continually.

We are to cherish our trials since they are God's workmen to prepare us to give glory to Him. Re-read Pastor Sean's response to my question. When we understand what is being said, then we will see the gospel message in the Book of Job, and then be prepared for the "meat" in our study. This is my prayer.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 06:15:43 AM »
And, last week's lesson on "The Curse Causeless", was misleading. The verse from which this is taken does not stop there. The verse says "the curse causeless shall not come."  It was a good verse to quote in studying the Book of Job. Why?

Because the curse that came to Job, like the curses that came to Adam and Eve (Gen. 3:16,17), was for his good and God's glory. "The curse causeless does not come." There was a cause for the great trials that came upon Job. It was to polish the rough edges off of the precious stone.

Christians are Christ's jewels. They are to shine brightly for Him, shedding forth the light of His loveliness. Their luster depends on the polishing they receive. They may choose to be polished or to remain unpolished. But everyone who is pronounced worthy of a place in the Lord's temple must submit to the polishing process. Without the polishing that the Lord gives, they can reflect no more light than a common pebble. Christ says to man, You are mine. I have bought you. You are now only a rough stone; but if you will place yourself in My hands, I will polish you, and the luster with which you shall shine will bring honor to My name. No man shall pluck you out of My hand. I will make you My peculiar treasure. On My coronation day, you will be a jewel in My crown of rejoicing.   
     The Divine Worker spends little time on worthless material. Only the precious jewels does He polish after the similitude of a palace, cutting away all rough edges. This process is severe and trying; it hurts human pride. Christ cuts deep into the experience that man in his self-sufficiency has regarded as complete and takes away self-uplifting from the character. He cuts away the surplus surface, and putting the stone to the polishing wheel, presses it close, that all roughness may be worn away. Then, holding the jewel up to the light, the Master sees in it a reflection of Himself, and He pronounces it worthy of a place in His casket. Blessed be the experience, however severe, that gives new value to the stone.  HP 267. 

This was a successful operation, for Job grew from his experience in the very same manner as did Moses. How do we know?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 06:54:10 PM »
We know that Job was blessed by the trials in his experience because he was brought to repentance. Repentance is a precious gift, which we receive from Jesus. We can no more repent without the Spirit of Christ than we can do be pardoned without Christ. Job saw his sinfulness in darkening God's counsel with his own finite human "wisdom" (really, foolishness), and he chose to respond to the counsel of the True Witness (Jesus) to his soul, as we see:

"As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent" (Revelation 3:19).

"Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:6)

Job learned that his so-called "righteousness" (Job 27:6) and his harsh dealing with his friends, calling them "miserable comforters" (Job 16:1), as well as his mourning and lamenting over even having been born was not honoring God in his trial. But God mercifully extended probation to Job to give him opportunity to repent. Job could have remained in a converted, abiding condition in his great trail, but he took his eyes off Jesus. He was converted and "perfect" when the book started out, and even remained so after losing his children, health, and wealth. But when the test grew hotter, when the temptation was strongest, rather than glory in his tribulation, he allowed his mind to wander from his Redeemer, Jesus, and the result was what each of us also must find--that apart from Jesus we can do no good thing, and that we have no life apart from Him. Abiding in Him, dwelling in Him, we may have fullness of joy--even when the devil and all the world seems arrayed against us.

Such encouraging and important lessons emerge from our study in the book of Job that God's remnant people may be encouraged to face the time of trouble with the abiding presence of Jesus in the heart and mind renewed by divine grace. And such an experience is available to the weakest soul now who surrenders fully to Jesus. Oh, won't you choose to behold the lovely Jesus? Join us in The Desire of Ages forum as we exalt the loveliness of our Savior! God bless you as you continue to study His word--to see Jesus!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
Sunday November 6

More Accusations

As if getting a lecture from Eliphaz weren’t bad enough, Job then faced one from Bildad, who said something similar to what Eliphaz had said. Unfortunately, Bildad was cruder and harsher toward Job than even Eliphaz was. Imagine going up to someone whose children had died and saying to the person: “If thy children have sinned against him, and he have cast them away for their transgression" (Job 8:4).

This is ironic, because the first chapter of Job (Job 1:5) makes it clear that Job offered sacrifices on behalf of his children for that very reason, in case they had sinned. So, we see a contrast here between an understanding of grace (as seen in Job’s actions) and Bildad’s opening words, which reveal a harsh, retributive legalism. Even worse, though, is that Bildad speaks this way in his attempt to defend the character of God.

Job offering sacrifices shows that grace had transformed his heart. But it does not necessarily mean that his children will be saved if they were not fully surrendered to Jesus as their Lord. Job's actions were the fruit of a deep love and concern for the salvation of those around him. And yet each is saved individually. Grace must transform the heart and mind, or it is grace received in vain. Many do not understand this. They want to believe that anyone who has professed the name of Christ will be saved as though Jesus' perfect character stands in the place of their character WHILE THEY CONTINUE TO SIN. This is error, and contributes to the Laodicean condition in the church at this very time. Many do not want to believe that we are living in the time of the the investigative judgment, and that every action, thought, and motive of the heart and life is brought into light before the eyes of a sin-hating God who deeply loves the sinner and desires those who name HIs name to depart from iniquity, providing the means of deliverance from the power of the flesh through the "divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). Oh, we need to realize our individual accountability to God, and also realize that God will save those who truly surrender to Him and abide in Him by living faith--a faith manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit being seen in the life without one missing.

Read Job 8:1–22.
1 Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said,
2 How long wilt thou speak these things? and how long shall the words of thy mouth be like a strong wind?
3 Doth God pervert judgment? or doth the Almighty pervert justice?
4 If thy children have sinned against him, and he have cast them away for their transgression;
5 If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty;
6 If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous.
7 Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.
8 For enquire, I pray thee, of the former age, and prepare thyself to the search of their fathers:
9 (For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow:)
10 Shall not they teach thee, and tell thee, and utter words out of their heart?
11 Can the rush grow up without mire? can the flag grow without water?
12 Whilst it is yet in his greenness, and not cut down, it withereth before any other herb.
13 So are the paths of all that forget God; and the hypocrite's hope shall perish:
14 Whose hope shall be cut off, and whose trust shall be a spider's web.
15 He shall lean upon his house, but it shall not stand: he shall hold it fast, but it shall not endure.
16 He is green before the sun, and his branch shooteth forth in his garden.
17 His roots are wrapped about the heap, and seeth the place of stones.
18 If he destroy him from his place, then it shall deny him, saying, I have not seen thee.
19 Behold, this is the joy of his way, and out of the earth shall others grow.
20 Behold, God will not cast away a perfect man, neither will he help the evil doers:
21 Till he fill thy mouth with laughing, and thy lips with rejoicing.
22 They that hate thee shall be clothed with shame; and the dwelling place of the wicked shall come to nought.

What is Bildad’s argument, and how much truth is he speaking? That is, if you were to forget the immediate context and just look at the sentiments expressed, what fault, if any, could you find with his words?

Bildad was a false teacher. Bildad's words do not take into consideration the grace of God (who DOES help evildoers--because He loves ALL, as Jesus made plain in Matthew 5:45: "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."). Nor does Bildad take into consideration that righteous men at times suffer greatly, and that this is not an evidence that God has forsaken them. With such an admixture of truth and error in his sentiments, it is sad that so many still hold such ideas, because they do not clearly understand the character of God or the context of the great controversy, in which God allows suffering and the work of Satan that all may clearly see sin and its results, and the righteous may form a character fit for heaven by growing through adversity and continually abiding in Christ. Oh, let us pray for the Holy Spirit to help us understand the book of Job not as the author of the lesson is presenting it, but as it is revealed in context in the plain statements of the Bible. Let us not trust to man. Let us look to Jesus and His unerring word.

Who can find fault with so much of what he is saying here? “(For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow:)” (Job 8:9). That’s powerful, true, and very biblical (James 4:14). Or what’s wrong with his warning that the godless man who puts his hope in earthly worldly things is really trusting in something no firmer than a “spider’s web” (Job 8:14)? That’s about as biblical a thought as one could get.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that Bildad is presenting just one aspect of God’s character. It’s an example of being in a ditch on one side of the road or the other. Neither place is where you really should be. Someone can, for instance, focus only on law and justice and obedience, while someone else can focus on grace and forgiveness and substitution. Either overemphasis usually leads to a distorted picture of God and of truth. We see a similar problem here.

The problem is much bigger. Bildad's spirit is one of accusation against Job, which reveals the spirit of the enemy, the accuser of the brethren. Bildad does not understand the character of God or the gospel. The problem is much bigger than the author of our lesson is presenting.

As humans we should always strive for the right balance between law and grace in our theology and in our dealing with others. If, however, you were to err on one side or the other (and as humans we eventually do), which side would it be better to err on when dealing with the faults of others, and why?

We are not given an erring human pattern for character. We are given the lovely divine-human Savior, Jesus Christ. We are not being asked to "strive for the right balance between law and grace"--no, we are being invited by Jesus to abide in Him, in whom is both law and grace. The answer is always the same. We need Jesus in order to do any good thing. Apart from Him, we can do no good thing. Abiding in Him, all of the fruits of His Spirit will be manifest. We will not be focused on "which side it would be better to err" upon at all--because we are praying without ceasing, allowing our minds to be stayed upon Jesus in "perfect peace" (Isaiah 26:3), and letting Him imbue us with His thoughts and wisdom in every new situation. Oh, let us avail ourselves of the help and grace in Jesus! We need Him!!!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:17:47 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!

It would be natural to consider, since Job thought God brought his trials upon him, that the understanding of where trials come from was not understood. It is true the light grows brighter, but all could understand that Satan is at work doing evil to all of us. The story of the fall was not hidden from Job. There we find Satan speaking through the serpent. He knew because of sin
many parents had lost children. The idea that Satan could control the weather was something new.

God is not going to punish sinners for eternity, neither does He afflict man unnecessarily. Job understood God was in control, but failed to see that another was directly responsible for his suffering. In this there was no sin. But, not so with his three friends who used their misunderstanding to condemn Job.

Do we not see this too often today? We cannot judge the heart, so we need to be very careful when reproving another. Let us make sure we are filled with the Spirit of God before reproving another. We must remove the log from our own eye before attempting to remove the splinter from our neighbor's eye.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »
Monday November 7

Less Than Your Iniquity Deserves

“Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection? It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know? The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.” (Job 11:7–9).

See also Isaiah 40:12–14
12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?
13 Who hath directed the Spirit of the Lord, or being his counsellor hath taught him?
14 With whom took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?

What truth is being expressed, and why is it important for us always to remember it?

God is infinitely beyond us. But God desires to save us. Thankfully, God chose to sacrifice Himself in sending Christ Jesus to reveal His character--that which is essential for us to know in order to be saved. The loveliness of Jesus is something we can come to appreciate and experience in our lives if we would be willing to behold Him and meditate upon His life, especially the closing scenes. The greatness of God is most amazingly revealed in His infinite condescension to be born in Bethlehem, to agonize in Gethsemane, and to die for our sin upon Calvary. We must learn the lesson of true repentance as we come to realize our continual need of Jesus. Job did not need to try to comprehend all that was yet unknown about God. What Job needed was a realizing sense of His continual need of beholding the love of God which would even lead Him to express His faith in the Redeemer to come: Job 19:25-27
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
Job had a similar struggle that many in the Seventh-day Adventist Church face today. They have heard of Jesus, and they look forward with hope to His second coming as the time when they will behold Him. But the answer as to our need and the solution to our sin struggles is always the same--we need to behold the loveliness of Jesus and to be transformed into His image "from glory to glory" (2 Corinthians 3:18) as we choose to spend a thoughtful hour upon the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes. May we learn that while God is infinitely greater than we can comprehend, He has revealed Himself in Christ, and He calls upon us to behold Him and meditate upon Him, that our minds be not separated from Him for even a moment.

The words here are beautiful expressions of the fact that there is so much about God we don’t know and that all our efforts to search Him out by ourselves will still leave us knowing so little. It’s interesting that one of the twentieth century’s most famous philosophers, the late Richard Rorty, basically argued that we are never going to understand reality and truth, and so we ought to give up the attempt. Instead of trying to understand reality, Rorty argued, all we can do is try to cope with it. How fascinating: 2600 years of the Western philosophical tradition culminates in this expression of defeat. If all our searching leaves us in the dark about the nature of the reality that we live in, then who “by searching” is going to understand the Creator—the one who made that reality to begin with, and so is even greater than it? Rorty essentially affirmed what we just read from the Bible.

Yet, these texts, profound as they are, were from a speech from Zophar, the third of Job’s acquaintances, and he used those words as part of a faulty argument against Job.

Read Job 11:1–20.
1 Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said,
2 Should not the multitude of words be answered? and should a man full of talk be justified?
3 Should thy lies make men hold their peace? and when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed?
4 For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes.
5 But oh that God would speak, and open his lips against thee;
6 And that he would shew thee the secrets of wisdom, that they are double to that which is! Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
7 Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?
8 It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?
9 The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
10 If he cut off, and shut up, or gather together, then who can hinder him?
11 For he knoweth vain men: he seeth wickedness also; will he not then consider it?
12 For vain men would be wise, though man be born like a wild ass's colt.
13 If thou prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands toward him;
14 If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles.
15 For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear:
16 Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away:
17 And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday: thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning.
18 And thou shalt be secure, because there is hope; yea, thou shalt dig about thee, and thou shalt take thy rest in safety.
19 Also thou shalt lie down, and none shall make thee afraid; yea, many shall make suit unto thee.
20 But the eyes of the wicked shall fail, and they shall not escape, and their hope shall be as the giving up of the ghost.

What is right with what Zophar is saying, but what is wrong with his overall argument?

Zophar is another false teacher. He mingles truth with error, and he accuses Job who is suffering, as though that is because of a sin he committed, when there is a great controversy going on between Christ and Satan. He says some things about the greatness of God that are true, but the loveliness of Jesus, and God's great love for the one who is suffering is not found here. There is cold justice, as though Job is only getting what he deserved. And many believe such lies today, as though God had doled out suffering to them simply on account of their sins. So sad that the mingling of error with truth has led so many to disbelieve God altogether.

It’s so hard to understand how someone could come up to a man suffering as Job is and say to him, basically, you are getting what you deserve. No, in fact, you are getting less than you deserve. What’s even worse is that he is doing it, as were the two others, all in an attempt to vindicate the goodness and the character of God.

Sometimes, merely knowing truths about the character of God do not automatically make us reflect it. What more do we need in order to reflect God’s character?

We need to spend time daily with Jesus. It is so simple and yet the answer will never change. We need more than knowledge of the truth, we need to behold the loveliness of Jesus and by communion with Him become like Him in mind and character. This is true revival and reformation, and God will give great grace to those who seek Jesus earnestly. Let us realize our continual need of Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 07:25:09 AM »

Tuesday November 8

Divine Retribution

Job’s three friends undoubtedly had some knowledge about God. And they were earnest in their efforts to defend Him too. And, as we saw, as misguided as their words to Job were (especially given the context), these men were expressing some crucial truths.

When Satan has control of the thoughts of man, then he mingles truth with error in order that it might deceive.

And central to their arguments was the idea that God is a God of justice and that sin brings divine retributive punishment upon evil and special blessings upon goodness. Though we don’t know the exact time that the men lived, because we accept that Moses wrote the book of Job while he was in Midian, they lived some time before the Exodus. Most likely, too, they lived after the Flood.

Read Genesis 6:5–8.

6:5   And God saw that the wickedness of man [was] great in the earth, and [that] every imagination of the thoughts of his heart [was] only evil continually. 
 6:6   And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 
 6:7   And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. 
 6:8   But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. 

Though we don’t know how much these men (Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar) knew about the Flood, how might its story have influenced their theology?

Clearly the story of the Flood is an example of divine retribution for sin. In it God directly brings punishment upon those who specifically deserved it. Yet, even here the concept of grace is revealed as seen in Genesis 6:8. Ellen G. White wrote, too, of the fact that “every [hammer] blow struck upon the ark was preaching to the people.” — The Spirit of Prophecy, vol. 1, p. 70. Nevertheless, to some degree we can see in this story an example of what these men were preaching to Job.

Amen! Job and his three friends not only saw in the flood the ultimate end of the wicked, but they also saw that the innocent suffer with the guilty. Did not Noah and his family suffer in the flood. Did not they loose their home and all they had? Were they not put upon by all of humanity until the flood came? They were greatly tried. God was partly responsible for their trial. He did bring the rain that destroyed their homes. But, as an example to Job and us, we see God's protecting hand over the faithful. Their lives and ours are protected while we have still have a period of probation. Temporal life is protected that we might be transformed into His image. We are to His witnesses of the power of grace.

How is this same idea of retributive judgment seen in Genesis 13:13; 18:20–32; 19:24, 25?

13:13   But the men of Sodom [were] wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly. 

18:20   And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 
 18:21   I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know. 
 18:22   And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD. 
 18:23   And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? 
 18:24   Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that [are] therein? 
 18:25   That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right? 
 18:26   And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes. 
 18:27   And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which [am but] dust and ashes: 
 18:28   Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for [lack of] five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy [it]. 
 18:29   And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do [it] for forty's sake. 
 18:30   And he said [unto him], Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do [it], if I find thirty there. 
 18:31   And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy [it] for twenty's sake. 
 18:32   And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy [it] for ten's sake. 

19:24   Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; 
 19:25   And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground. 

Whether or not Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar knew much about these incidents, they reveal the reality of God’s direct judgment upon evil. God wasn’t simply abandoning sinners to their sin and letting that sin itself destroy them. As with the Flood, God was the direct agent of their punishment. He functioned here as the judge and destroyer of wickedness and evil.

Yes, God does intervene when necessary. Often He does not have to bring fire out of heaven or cause the earth to heave, He can use sin to punish sin. Satan is at work, and God can allow Him to carry out his wicked plans. God removes His hand of protection, but even then, God is in control and still protects some, as we see in these examples and in the story of Job.

Mercy extends the period of probation for the righteous, or those whose hearts have not been hardened so they no longer hear the voice of God.

However much we want to (and should) focus on God’s character of love, grace, and forgiveness, why must we not forget the reality of His justice, as well? Think about all the evil that has yet gone unpunished. What should this tell us about the necessity of divine retribution, whenever and however it comes?

The great flood is an example of the need for capital punishment. If God had not removed the wicked ones from the earth, then there would have been no hope for mankind. So it is with the cold blood murderers, they need to be removed from the Earth in our day also. Justice in some cases must not be delayed. It serves as a warning to the disobedient and keeps evil from overtaking the world.

Many will want to say that this is "Old Testament" theology in an effort to support their false teachings. But, they ignore Scripture, do they not?  Give and example of such justice in the New Testament.

The author of the Book of Job also penned these Words that were inspired that we might rightly understand justice in the light of grace.  Deuteronomy, chapter 30:

30:1   And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call [them] to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee, 
 30:2   And shalt return unto the LORD thy God, and shalt obey his voice according to all that I command thee this day, thou and thy children, with all thine heart, and with all thy soul; 
 30:3   That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee. 
 30:4   If [any] of thine be driven out unto the outmost [parts] of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee: 
 30:5   And the LORD thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers. 
 30:6   And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. 
 30:7   And the LORD thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee. 
 30:8   And thou shalt return and obey the voice of the LORD, and do all his commandments which I command thee this day. 
 30:9   And the LORD thy God will make thee plenteous in every work of thine hand, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy land, for good: for the LORD will again rejoice over thee for good, as he rejoiced over thy fathers: 
 30:10   If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, [and] if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul. 
 30:11   For this commandment which I command thee this day, it [is] not hidden from thee, neither [is] it far off. 
 30:12   It [is] not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 
 30:13   Neither [is] it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 
 30:14   But the word [is] very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it. 
 30:15   See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; 
 30:16   In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. 
 30:17   But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; 
 30:18   I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, [and that] ye shall not prolong [your] days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it. 
 30:19   I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: 
 30:20   That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, [and] that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he [is] thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
Wednesday November 9

If the Lord Creates a New Thing

Many instances of direct divine punishment upon evil, as well as blessing for faithfulness, are recorded in Scripture long after all the characters in the book of Job were dead.

What great promise is given here for obedience? Deut. 6:24, 25.

6:24   And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as [it is] at this day. 
 6:25   And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

The Old Testament is filled with promise after promise of the blessings and prosperity that God would directly bring to His people were they to obey Him. So, we can see here examples of what these men had said to Job regarding God’s blessing the faithfulness of those who seek to obey Him and His commandments and to live a godly and upright life.

Of course, the Old Testament is also filled with warning after warning about direct divine punishment that would come for disobedience. In much of the Old Testament, especially after the covenant with Israel at Sinai, God is warning the Israelites about what their disobedience would bring upon them. “But if ye will not obey the voice of the LORD, but rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall the hand of the LORD be against you, as [it was] against your fathers.” 1 Sam. 12:15.

Read Numbers 16:1–33.

16:1   Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took [men]: 
 16:2   And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown: 
 16:3   And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, [Ye take] too much upon you, seeing all the congregation [are] holy, every one of them, and the LORD [is] among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD? 
 16:4   And when Moses heard [it], he fell upon his face: 
 16:5   And he spake unto Korah and unto all his company, saying, Even to morrow the LORD will show who [are] his, and [who is] holy; and will cause [him] to come near unto him: even [him] whom he hath chosen will he cause to come near unto him. 
 16:6   This do; Take you censers, Korah, and all his company; 
 16:7   And put fire therein, and put incense in them before the LORD to morrow: and it shall be [that] the man whom the LORD doth choose, he [shall be] holy: [ye take] too much upon you, ye sons of Levi. 
 16:8   And Moses said unto Korah, Hear, I pray you, ye sons of Levi: 
 16:9   [Seemeth it but] a small thing unto you, that the God of Israel hath separated you from the congregation of Israel, to bring you near to himself to do the service of the tabernacle of the LORD, and to stand before the congregation to minister unto them? 
 16:10   And he hath brought thee near [to him], and all thy brethren the sons of Levi with thee: and seek ye the priesthood also? 
 16:11   For which cause [both] thou and all thy company [are] gathered together against the LORD: and what [is] Aaron, that ye murmur against him? 
 16:12   And Moses sent to call Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab: which said, We will not come up: 
 16:13   [Is it] a small thing that thou hast brought us up out of a land that floweth with milk and honey, to kill us in the wilderness, except thou make thyself altogether a prince over us? 
 16:14   Moreover thou hast not brought us into a land that floweth with milk and honey, or given us inheritance of fields and vineyards: wilt thou put out the eyes of these men? we will not come up. 
 16:15   And Moses was very wroth, and said unto the LORD, Respect not thou their offering: I have not taken one ass from them, neither have I hurt one of them. 
 16:16   And Moses said unto Korah, Be thou and all thy company before the LORD, thou, and they, and Aaron, to morrow: 
 16:17   And take every man his censer, and put incense in them, and bring ye before the LORD every man his censer, two hundred and fifty censers; thou also, and Aaron, each [of you] his censer. 
 16:18   And they took every man his censer, and put fire in them, and laid incense thereon, and stood in the door of the tabernacle of the congregation with Moses and Aaron. 
 16:19   And Korah gathered all the congregation against them unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto all the congregation. 
 16:20   And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, 
 16:21   Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. 
 16:22   And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation? 
 16:23   And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 
 16:24   Speak unto the congregation, saying, Get you up from about the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram. 
 16:25   And Moses rose up and went unto Dathan and Abiram; and the elders of Israel followed him. 
 16:26   And he spake unto the congregation, saying, Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins. 
 16:27   So they gat up from the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, on every side: and Dathan and Abiram came out, and stood in the door of their tents, and their wives, and their sons, and their little children. 
 16:28   And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for [I have] not [done them] of mine own mind. 
 16:29   If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; [then] the LORD hath not sent me. 
 16:30   But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that [appertain] unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD. 
 16:31   And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that [was] under them: 
 16:32   And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that [appertained] unto Korah, and all [their] goods. 
 16:33   They, and all that [appertained] to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.

What does this incident teach about the reality of divine retributive punishment?

Given the nature of how the rebels were destroyed, this incident cannot be chalked up to the idea of “sin bringing its own punishment.” These people faced divine and direct retribution from God for their sin and rebellion. In this case we see supernatural manifestations of God’s power; it seemed that the very laws of nature themselves were changed. “But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that [appertain] unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD.” Num. 16:30.

Yes, rebellion is much more serious than sin that is not pre-meditated. It is not surprising that God intervened in the manner He did. Would we expect God to change today?

The verb “creates” here is from the same root used for “created” in Genesis 1:1. The Lord wanted everyone to know that it was He Himself who immediately and directly brought this punishment upon the rebels.

Why? As an example to others who would rebel in the future. But, now let us consider why God allowed suffering to come to Job.

There were many, even among the ministers, who saw the truth as it is in Jesus in a light in which they had never before viewed it. They saw the Saviour as a sin-pardoning Saviour, and the truth as the sanctifier of the soul. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." If we would be partakers with Christ of his glory, we must also be willing to share with him in his humiliation. "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered." This must be the experience of every true child of God. "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind; for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin."  RH, March 5, 1889.

If one does not understand Job sinned, then how can they understand his suffering was for his perfection. He was not yet ready for translation, even though he was perfect before he sinned. There is no mystery here. It is fundamental Christianity. Perfect at each stage after conversion. But, unless one clings to Christ, he will sin. We must learn this lesson.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 07:36:15 AM »
Thursday November 10

The Second Death

Certainly the greatest and most powerful manifestation of retributive judgment will be at the end of time, with the destruction of the wicked, called in the Bible “the second death” (Rev. 20:14). This death, of course, must not be confused with the death common to all the descendants of Adam. This is the death from which the Second Adam, Jesus Christ, will spare the righteous at the end of time (1 Cor. 15:26). In contrast, the second death, like some of the other punishments seen in Old Testament times, is God’s direct punishment upon sinners who have not repented and received salvation in Jesus.

Yes, this is the requirement for salvation, there must be repentance. We must have a new heart when we die or when probation closes. But, we are not "spared" death at that time. We have already been glorified for a thousand years. We have life because Christ is enthroned upon the heart. The wicked rejected the offer of becoming one with Christ. They are sepearated from God and thus are evil. They would not be happy in heaven, and would cause others much unhappiness. Sin is a strange thing that God never intended. By His grace it will be forever removed from the universe. This is why He allowed Job to suffer. All must see the result of sin and the power of grace to keep all from sinning.

Read 2 Peter 3:5–7.

3:5   For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 
 3:6   Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 
 3:7   But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 

What is the Word of God telling us about the fate of the lost?

“Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth’s surface seems one molten mass—a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men—‘the day of the Lord’s vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion.’ Isaiah 34:8.” — Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, pp. 672, 673.

Though sin can bring its own punishment, there surely are times that God Himself does directly punish sin and sinners, as Job’s protagonists argued. It’s true that all suffering in this world has arisen from sin. But it’s not true that all suffering is God’s punishing of sin. That was certainly not the case with Job, nor in most other cases as well. The fact is that we are involved in the great controversy, and we have an enemy who is out to do us harm. The good news is that, amid it all, we can know that God is there for us. Whatever the reasons for the trials we face, whatever the present outcomes of those trials, we have the assurance of God’s love, a love revealed as so great that Jesus went to the cross for us, an act that alone promises to end all suffering.

How can we be sure that someone’s suffering is direct punishment from God? If we can’t be sure, then what’s the best approach for us to take with that suffering person? Or even with our own suffering?

Job did not sin when his great trials began. So, there was no reason for "punishment." When we suffer, we know if we have sinned. If not, then our trial does not come directly from God. He would allow it, but He would not punish the innocent.  If we have sinned, then it is possible God directly intervenes, but from what we read in Scripture, it appears either we suffer the results of our own doing or Satan is happy to hurt us. If he has plans to use us, he may prosper the sinner, and then it would be necessary for God to intervene. It is hard for us to know if God is working for our good, or Satan has inflicted us when we suffer on account of our evil doings. Praise God that He loves us enough to get our attention. A father will not stand by and watch his child sin and use either blessings or punishment to turn him.

Explain why God asked Abraham to slay his son? Was it punishment directly from God?

The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing.
     "My Father is the husbandman. Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit He taketh away." While the graft is outwardly united with the vine, there may be no vital connection. Then there will be no growth or fruitfulness. So there may be an apparent connection with Christ without a real union with Him by faith. A profession of religion places men in the church, but the character and conduct show whether they are in connection with Christ. If they bear no fruit, they are false branches. Their separation from Christ involves a ruin as complete as that represented by the dead branch. "If a man abide not in Me," said Christ, "he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." 
     "And every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth [pruneth] it, that it may bring forth more fruit." From the chosen twelve who had followed Jesus, one as a withered branch was about to be taken away; the rest were to pass under the pruning knife of bitter trial. Jesus with solemn tenderness explained the purpose of the husbandman. The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart. There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the earthly supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God. The excessive foliage that draws away the life current from the fruit must be pruned off. The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the harmful growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.   
     "Herein is My Father glorified," said Jesus, "that ye bear much fruit." God desires to manifest through you the holiness, the benevolence, the compassion, of His own character. Yet the Saviour does not bid the disciples labor to bear fruit. He tells them to abide in Him. "If ye abide in Me," He says, "and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." It is through the word that Christ abides in His followers. This is the same vital union that is represented by eating His flesh and drinking His blood. The words of Christ are spirit and life. Receiving them, you receive the life of the Vine. You live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4. The life of Christ in you produces the same fruits as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ.  Desire of Ages, pg 677. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
Friday November 11

Further Thought:

As said earlier in this quarter, it’s important to try to put ourselves in the place of the characters in the story, because doing so can help us understand their motives and actions. They didn’t see the battle going on behind the scenes as we do. If we put ourselves in their shoes, it shouldn’t be that hard for us to see the mistake that Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar made in regard to Job’s suffering. They were making a judgment that they were really not qualified to make. “It is very natural for human beings to think that great calamities are a sure index of great crimes and enormous sins; but men often make a mistake in thus measuring character. We are not living in the time of retributive judgment. Good and evil are mingled, and calamities come upon all. Sometimes men do pass the boundary line beyond God’s protecting care, and then Satan exercises his power upon them, and God does not interpose. Job was sorely afflicted, and his friends sought to make him acknowledge that his suffering was the result of sin, and cause him to feel under condemnation. They represented his case as that of a great sinner; but the Lord rebuked them for their judgment of His faithful servant.” — Ellen G. White Comments, The SDA Bible Commentary,vol. 3, p. 1140.

We need to be careful in how we deal with the whole question of suffering. Sure, in some cases it seems easier to understand. Someone smokes cigarettes and gets lung cancer. How much simpler could it be? That’s fine, but what about those who smoke all their lives and never get it? Is God punishing the one but not the other?

No. God and Satan did not cause cancer. Those who smoke reap what they have sown. Most who contract cancer have lived a life where they have come in contact with that which causes cancer, such as dairy products or the flesh of animals that have cancer. God has warned us about our health, but many reject his warnings.

God does indeed punish sinners. We need to rightly understand that God killed every living thing on the Earth in the great flood except what was in the ark. God is about to pour out the plaques on the unrepentant. But, God did not punish Job. Satan will attempt to make us believe that all of the natural disasters we see around us are from God. We know better. But, that does not mean God does not intervene when necessary. Who are we to know who did what? The earthquake in San Francisco in 1906 was from God. San Francisco and Oakland were "Sodom and Gomorrah." But, like the fiery serpents that came into the camp of Israel, God only needs to remove his hand of protection, as He did with Job, and in comes trouble. The Trade Towers came down, not because God did it, He did not. But, He did remove His protective hand. And trouble did come. Satan is at work all around us.

God uses sin to punish sin, and He uses sin to polish rough stones that they may shine with the brightness of His glory. Do we want this character that reflects the image of God?

In the end, like Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar, we don’t always know why suffering comes as it does. In one sense, it almost doesn’t matter if we know or not. What matters is what we do in response to the suffering that we see. Here’s where these three men were totally wrong.

Discussion Questions:

What does the reality of retributive punishment teach us about how we can trust in the ultimate justice of God, even despite how things seem now?

These three men really didn’t understand all that was happening to Job in his suffering. In a sense, isn’t that the case with us all? We don’t fully understand the reasons for human suffering. How, then, should this realization help us be more compassionate with those who are suffering? As stated above, how important is it that we even know the immediate causes?

We are to understand that God can lift us up above the great trials of life. And, so He will with others if they will look unto Jesus. Job was having a difficult time holding on to Jesus. He was looking upon self and became discouraged. It was his friends blessing to point him to Jesus. What will we do when we see others in great trial? Can we point them to Jesus and explain that their tribulation will work for their good and God's glory if they will abide in Christ? Yes, we can! The Bible tells us so, does it not?  Romans 5:3-5.

If I should look to my poor, finite self, I should soon become discouraged; but in looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith, I take courage, and press forward with His name on my lips to the mark for the prize of the high calling which is in Christ Jesus. If we at times feel our infirmities encompassing us, and a discouragement comes upon us, we must look away from self unto Jesus, and pray for spiritual eyesight. We need it now, in order to understand His word. A flood of light is poured into the chambers of the mind and the soul temple that we may understand the scriptures. There is truth, precious, sacred truth. "The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding to the simple." All who are simple (meek and lowly in heart) will humble self, and seek counsel of the Lord in His Holy word. Feeling is nothing reliable, but the word is solid rock. We can safely study our Bibles, and the Holy Spirit will impress our minds and heart.
     The Lord has a work for you to do, and if you listen to His voice, you will not be left in darkness. The Saviour says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." "And a stranger will they not follow; for they know not the voice of strangers." I am sure that the Lord is revealing to you the perfection and fullness of the atoning work, that your whole heart may be filled with love and thanksgiving, and that you may reveal to others that which the Lord is revealing to you. The image of Christ engraved upon the heart is reflected in character, in practical life, day by day, because we represent a personal Saviour. The Holy Spirit is promised to all who will ask for it. When you search the scriptures, the Holy Spirit is by your side, personating Jesus Christ. The truth is a living principle made to shine in precious clearness to the understanding, and then, O then, it is time to speak words from the Living Christ. "Ye are laborers together with God." Christ said to the woman of Samaria, "If thou knowest the gift of God, and who it is that said to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. . .A well of water springing up into everlasting life."

Those who have the out pouring of the gospel of Christ which comes from the heart imbued by His Holy Spirit will give light and comfort and hope to hearts that are hungering and thirsting for righteousness. It is not excitement we wish to create, but deep, earnest consideration, that those who hear shall do solid work, real, sound, genuine work that will be enduring as eternity. We hunger not for excitement, for the sensational; the less we have of this, the better. The calm, earnest reasoning from the scriptures is precious and fruitful. Here is the secret of success, in preaching a living, personal Saviour in so simple and earnest a manner that the people may be able to lay hold by faith of the power of the word of life. Present not Anna Phillips' productions, but the truth, substantiated by the authority of the living word, which is the power of God unto salvation.  Paulson Collection, pg 101. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
Amen! The answer is always the same: we need Jesus continually. Even when He walked the earth, Jesus did not look to Himself, but continually to His Father. We also are to look to Jesus. As long as Job looked to Jesus, he could bear the trial, for it was Christ who sustained him. But in looking to self, in engaging in the dialogue of the three friends in which their accusations tempted him to defend himself, Job fell and sinned--but he still did not curse God. We can be thankful that God is so merciful to call us, wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked sinners to full repentance, and that He gives such repentance to us as a gift. I am thankful that when we have Christ in heart, we have newness of life, fullness of joy! God is faithful!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »
Amen!

I am still amazed at what is being taught in our Sabbath Schools as truth. Job's three friends spoke much truth, as did Job. Yes?  But, Job and his three friends spoke error also. Why is this so hard to see. Each time I read through the Book, it becomes more clear how much all of them were perverting the truth and bringing reproach upon the character of God. It is one thing to not know something, it is something else to speak words that are not true, especially regarding God and His Truth. Sadly, it appears to be the character of many in God's church. Human wisdom is in great demand.   :(

colporteur

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
It would appear that up until the close of probation God's retributive punishment is to always be redemptive to someone. It may not always be redemptive necessarily to the one being punished but it is redemptive to someone. As an example Uzzah. It does not seem likely that Uzzah's punishment for touching the ark was redemptive to him personally however it was redemptive to some in Israel. We are told through Inspiration that Israel was headed in a dangerous direction regarding irreverence to God and Uzzah's punishment was meant  to be a sober but necessary lesson for the well being of Israel.

Apparently Job's friends attempting to be problem solvers were missing a key element regarding God's purpose in testing and punishment. They were unable to see that pain and suffering has a potential to build one's character and make one stronger. They thought simply of cause and effect. Be a good boy and God blesses. Be a bad boy and God punishes. This reminds me of body building. In a sense for a muscle to grow  something painful must happen. The muscle tissue breaks down  and this is why it is sore the next day. However, when it heals it is stronger than before. It takes something bad to produce something good. While that may not be heaven's way in a sinless world it is God's way in a sinful world. Scripture says that Jesus learned obedience through suffering. Apparently, the humanity of Jesus was improved through something that appeared to be bad. Job was better after his painful experience. He was blessed even though it was a most painful road to the blessing. It is hard for fallen man to understand that as we desire a smooth and easy road to the blessings. Job's friends merely expressed what the clouded human nature sees as correct.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 03:02:01 PM »
Amen, cp.  It is such a blessing to find those who understand that we are to glory in our trials.

Retributive punishment may be what the three men thought was God's way, but it is not, not until the final judgment, as far as I can see. God is more concerned with prevention of sin, and with developing character. The wages of sin is death. It is only by His grace that we are given a period of probation, temporal life. It is a strange act when the unrepentant sinner receives the punishment for each sin. That is indeed retributive judgment. Perfect justice unmingled with mercy. It may be that some think that because one is tortured, it is God's justice. But, I don't see it that way. It is Satan who is doing that. God will punish sin with sin, but that is only allowing Satan to do such as he did with Job, who was not guilty of unrepentant sin.

Job's suffering was for Job's good, and it was intended to be a witness of the power of grace to keep Job from sinning. But, that did not happen. Job did learn from his experience, and he repented. The next time he was tempted, he had an experience he would remember. Need we go through that, or can we learn from Job's experience?  :)