Author Topic: Splinters  (Read 3108 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Splinters
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
I realize this isn't your typical topic but I'm open to ideas on how to remove a splinter than you know is there but can't see. At this point I don't know if it's metal or wood. I'm thinking metal and that is my concern. I've already dug away at the skin a little bit hoping to find it or accidentally remove it but nothing so far and trust me I know it's there as I feel it every time I use the finger to type this message.  :-\
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

Re: Splinters
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »

The more time that passes the easier it is to find and the easier it is to remove.   ;D
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:41:57 PM »
Cp, I hope you're correct but it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong or if it's a myth) that metal splinters work their way in and not out like wood splinters do.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:54:01 AM »
I realize this isn't your typical topic but I'm open to ideas on how to remove a splinter than you know is there but can't see. At this point I don't know if it's metal or wood. I'm thinking metal and that is my concern. I've already dug away at the skin a little bit hoping to find it or accidentally remove it but nothing so far and trust me I know it's there as I feel it every time I use the finger to type this message.  :-\

Keep an eye on it (or start digging  ;D ).  If it doesn't get infected, it might not matter.  As cp said, it may work itself out eventually.  But I've had them get infected before, and that's no fun.  It's simple matter to get a doctor to dig it out.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:09:37 AM »
Cp, I hope you're correct but it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong or if it's a myth) that metal splinters work their way in and not out like wood splinters do.

I don't know but my experience when I worked in a machine shop for 7 years was that any sliver festers and gets red as the body says, " I do not like you" . It might matter on how deep the sliver is and how sterile.  ;D The deeper the sliver the more problematic. If its more than 1/8 th of an inch deep from the outside tip you might need assistance. The only place where I was not able to remove a metal sliver was in my eye. That's the worst place to have one, even a tiny one.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 05:26:23 AM »
Thanks Wally and Cp. Apparently time is starting to help as it's not near as bad this morning but there is still a tiny red line where I'm guessing it's located.

The only place where I was not able to remove a metal sliver was in my eye. That's the worst place to have one, even a tiny one.
Cp, I can't even imagine. The eye is so sensitive already. It makes my eyes water thinking about it.