Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 13--3rd Quarter 2016--How Shall We Wait?  (Read 5704 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
SDA Sabbath School Lesson 13--3rd Quarter 2016--How Shall We Wait?
« on: September 16, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
Lesson 13 * September 17-23

How Shall We Wait?

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 13--3rd Quarter 2016--How Shall We Wait?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Matt. 24:35-25:46, 2 Peter 3:1-18, James 2:14-26, John 4:35-38, 1 Cor. 3:6-8, Rev. 21:1-4.

Memory Text: “Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.” Romans 12:11-13.

For several years preceding the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, the Seventh-day Adventist churches in San Francisco and Oakland, California, were buzzing. Members were involved in visiting the sick and destitute. They found homes for orphans and work for the unemployed. They nursed the sick and taught the Bible from house to house. Members distributed Christian literature and gave classes on healthful living. The churches also conducted a school for the children in the basement of the Laguna Street meetinghouse. A workingmen’s home and medical mission were maintained. They had a health-food store along with a vegetarian café. The members had started ship mission work at the local port, and their ministers conducted meetings in large halls in the city from time to time.

Were church members and pastors working the city from an outpost, or did they live in the city? Did they call the people out of these two wicked cities? Or did they by their example allow them to believe all would be well in San Francisco and Oakland? What would you say to those living in San Francisco and Oakland today? Will you warn them, or ignore what is soon to come upon these two cities? Will you share the gospel in these two cities, or will you leave them to perish without the truth?

Ellen G. White had called these churches the two “beehives” and was thrilled by their work (Advent Review and Sabbath Herald,July 5, 1906). What powerful examples of what we should and could be doing now as we await the Second Coming. Our Lord is coming back; that we know.

Ellen G. White called these two cities Sodom and Gomorrah. What caused the earthquake? Why did God cause the earthquake? Will there be another earthquake in San Francisco and Oakland worse than the warning given in 1989?

The crucial issue for us is: What are we doing while we wait? On that answer hangs the destiny of souls.

We may be waiting for a very long time if we, as a church, do nothing.  If we are in a converted state, we will care about the people in these wicked cities and we will take the gospel into them. And, we ought to warn them of what is coming on not only their cities, but on all of the large cities of this world.

"Out of the cities; out of the cities!''--this is the message the Lord has been giving me. The earthquakes will come; the floods will come; and we are not to establish ourselves in the wicked cities, where the enemy is served in every way, and where God is so often forgotten. The Lord desires that we shall have clear spiritual eyesight. We must be quick to discern the peril that would attend the establishment of institutions in these wicked cities. We must make wise plans to warn the cities, and at the same time live where we can shield our children and ourselves from the contaminating and demoralizing influences so prevalent in these places.--Life Sketches, pp. 409, 410. (1906) 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
Sunday September 18

While We Wait for Jesus

The disciples had just been admiring the glorious scene as the sun’s rays glinted off the temple. Jesus, wanting to focus their attention on the realities facing the Christian church in the near future and the end of time, cryptically gave them a dose of reality by saying: “And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.” Matt. 24:2. Surprised by His comment, the disciples asked, “when shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?” (Matt. 24:3). In Matthew 24:4-31, Jesus then tells them the things to expect to see unfold in the world before He returns.

In revealing the signs, Jesus warns, “the end is not yet.” (Matt. 24:6), and that “All these [are] the beginning of sorrows.” (Matt. 24:8 ). The direct answer to the disciples’ question comes in verse 14. “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.” Matt. 24:14.

In this discourse, the first 35 verses in Matthew 24 motivate us to take the signs seriously, but Jesus also tells us how we are to wait for “the end of the world” (Matt. 24:3). In other words, we just don’t sit there and wait for Him to come as we would sit at a bus stop and wait for the bus. No, we are given plenty to do as we wait for the Lord’s second advent.

Read Matthew 24:36-25:46.

Let's read all of what Jesus answered:

24:4   And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 
 24:5   For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 
 24:6   And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 
 24:7   For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 
 24:8   All these [are] the beginning of sorrows. 
 24:9   Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 
 24:10   And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 
 24:11   And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 
 24:12   And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 
 24:13   But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 
 24:14   And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. 
 24:15   When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 
 24:16   Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 
 24:17   Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 
 24:18   Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 
 24:19   And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 
 24:20   But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 
 24:21   For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 
 24:22   And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 
 24:23   Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here [is] Christ, or there; believe [it] not. 
 24:24   For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 
 24:25   Behold, I have told you before. 
 24:26   Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, [he is] in the secret chambers; believe [it] not. 
 24:27   For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 
 24:28   For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together. 
 24:29   Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 
 24:30   And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 
 24:31   And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. 
 24:32   Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer [is] nigh: 
 24:33   So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, [even] at the doors. 
 24:34   Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. 
 24:35   Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 
 24:36   But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 
 24:37   But as the days of Noe [were], so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 
 24:38   For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 
 24:39   And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 
 24:40   Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 
 24:41   Two [women shall be] grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 
 24:42   Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. 
 24:43   But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. 
 24:44   Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. 
 24:45   Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? 
 24:46   Blessed [is] that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 
 24:47   Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods. 
 24:48   But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; 
 24:49   And shall begin to smite [his] fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; 
 24:50   The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for [him], and in an hour that he is not aware of, 
 24:51   And shall cut him asunder, and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 

Chapter 25

25:1   Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 
 25:2   And five of them were wise, and five [were] foolish. 
 25:3   They that [were] foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 
 25:4   But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 
 25:5   While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 
 25:6   And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 
 25:7   Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 
 25:8   And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 
 25:9   But the wise answered, saying, [Not so]; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 
 25:10   And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 
 25:11   Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 
 25:12   But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 
 25:13   Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh. 
 25:14   For [the kingdom of heaven is] as a man travelling into a far country, [who] called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 
 25:15   And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. 
 25:16   Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made [them] other five talents. 
 25:17   And likewise he that [had received] two, he also gained other two. 
 25:18   But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. 
 25:19   After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. 
 25:20   And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. 
 25:21   His lord said unto him, Well done, [thou] good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. 
 25:22   He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. 
 25:23   His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. 
 25:24   Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strowed: 
 25:25   And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, [there] thou hast [that is] thine. 
 25:26   His lord answered and said unto him, [Thou] wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strowed: 
 25:27   Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and [then] at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. 
 25:28   Take therefore the talent from him, and give [it] unto him which hath ten talents. 
 25:29   For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. 
 25:30   And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 
 25:31   When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 
 25:32   And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats: 
 25:33   And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 
 25:34   Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 
 25:35   For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 
 25:36   Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 
 25:37   Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink? 
 25:38   When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]? 
 25:39   Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 
 25:40   And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me. 
 25:41   Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 
 25:42   For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 
 25:43   I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 
 25:44   Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 
 25:45   Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me. 
 25:46   And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. 

Each one of these parables talks about what God’s people should be doing as they await the second coming of Jesus. Summarize the essence of what the Lord is telling us here. Then we need to ask ourselves, both individually and as a church: How well are we following the Lord’s instructions for us in each of these parables?

While we are waiting, we can start with what Jesus first stated: "Take heed that no man deceive you." When Jesus pointed out the condition of the last of the seven churches in Revelation, which is us, He said this:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 

It is impossible to love those in the world while we are waiting, if we do not make a full surrender of self, and allow Christ to take possession the heart. Self cannot love unselfishly. This is a game of church if we remain in a Laodicean condition as a people. Therefore, the very first thing Jesus said to His disciples and to us who live in the last days, and are waiting for His soon return was "Take heed that no man deceive you." Yet, we have been greatly deceived. We believe we are just fine (converted) and in need of nothing, yet we know not we are "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and  blind, and naked." Such a deception. What are we to do while we are waiting? What does Jesus tell us to do? Human wisdom will fail us, but never Christ. If we lack wisdom, we may come to Him and ask, and He will give us wisdom from on high. Can we escape our lost condition before Christ returns? What does He tell us to do?

Jesus here begins to exhort His disciples about the way His true followers will wait for Him to come again. During this period Jesus’ disciples will always be ready. They will show love, care, and respect to each other while waiting; they will stay alert, prepare ahead, and be responsible for their own spiritual condition. They will multiply the resources that God has placed in their hands, invest talents and money in God’s cause, respect the true character of their loving God, and care for “the least of these.”

This all requires a changed life, a death to self. Until we make a full surrender to Christ, we just playing at church. We are to watch and pray. Watch and pray for what? We are to go to Christ and seek what? Jesus said "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me." He was lifted up, and He is drawing all to Himself. Then why are not all converted? How can we tell if we are in a Laodicean condition or a converted condition? How does a pastor know when to  baptize and when to not? What does the Bible say about just judgment?

What does oil represent in this verse 25:23?

They that [were] foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 

Do we have oil in our lamps?

What of verse 25:46?

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Who shall go away to suffer punishment? And how is one righteous? Many don't believe this possible in sinful flesh.

What of verse 24:45?

Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? 

What does it mean to "give them meat in due season?" What is "meat"?

So many questions, so few answers.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »
Monday September 19

Revival and Reformation While We Wait

Read 2 Peter 3:1-18.

3:1   This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in [both] which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: 
 3:2   That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour: 
 3:3   Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 
 3:4   And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation. 
 3:5   For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 
 3:6   Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 
 3:7   But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 
 3:8   But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 
 3:9   The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 
 3:10   But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 
 3:11   [Seeing] then [that] all these things shall be dissolved, what manner [of persons] ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness, 
 3:12   Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 
 3:13   Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. 
 3:14   Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. 
 3:15   And account [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 
 3:16   As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 
 3:17   Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know [these things] before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. 
 3:18   But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen. 

Summarize the teachings in this chapter that pertain to revival and reformation. How do these verses fit in with the topic we have been studying all quarter?

We need to be aware of our own spiritual condition. We need to have pure minds (verse 1), an be without spot, and blameless" (verse 14). How can this be? Just as Peter admonishes us in the last verse. We need to "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ."

God’s desire is that “all should come to repentance” (2 Pet. 3:9). Though we cannot do the work of the Holy Spirit in bringing people to repentance, we are called to reach them with the message of salvation, which, if accepted, will lead to repentance.

Amen!  But, we must present the gospel as it is, not as we wish it were, but as it is.
. "Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of Him in peace, without spot, and blameless." Verse 14. Many do not believe the 144,000 will be without spot and blameless, much less those who are converted. Yet, here is it that we are told to be diligent that we may be found "without spot, and blameless."

We too, as church members, need to be in an attitude of repentance. Repentance is part of the process of revival and reformation. Revival means to come back to life, to be renewed, restored. Reformation means to be reshaped, reformed-to be a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17). “A revival of true godliness among us is the greatest and most urgent of all our needs. To seek this should be our first work.” - Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 1, p. 121.

Amen!  A need for revival and reformation indicates the church remains in a lost (Laodicean) condition. Until we repent of our sins and serve God with the whole heart, we cannot save others.

The “how should we wait” passages in yesterday’s study illustrate conditions and outcomes of revival and reformation. For example, all 10 virgins needed to be revived, awakened out of sleep (Matt. 25:1-13). The foolish virgins needed to increase their capacity for the Holy Spirit in their lives. When we humble ourselves, die to self, unselfishly pray, study God’s Word, and lovingly share it with others in word and loving deeds, we increase our capacity for an infilling of the Holy Spirit in latter rain power. However, it is possible to study the Bible for hours and still be a selfish person. We could pray for revival and the latter rain, but selfishly want it only for ourselves. Revival always leads to unselfish concern for others.When we are filled with the Holy Spirit we will be reformed into passionate, mission and service-centered disciples.

Amen! It is not something we do or learn until we are filled with the Holy Spirit (converted). Then, we will love those for whom Christ died and will want to reach them, no matter where they are. On the other hand, if we are not filled with the Spirit (converted) we will not receive the latter rain.

We need revival and reformation in our prayers, in Bible study, and in our focus on asking for the Holy Spirit in latter rain abundance.

Yes, some may need to pray for the latter rain in their lives, but those who are not converted, filled with the Holy Spirit, will not receive the latter rain no matter how much they pray for it.

But as a church we also need revival and reformation in our attitudes and methods. We need revival and reformation in our attitude and actions toward “the least of these.” All this has been the focus of this quarter’s lessons.

Revival and reformation in all of this comes in one unit. Either we love God and our neighbor or we do not. We must put the horse in front of the cart. We need Jesus. We need to make a full surrender to Him so He will take possession of a new heart (see Eze. 36:26,27).

How can we guard ourselves against complacency in regard to the second coming of Jesus? That is, as the years go by, how can we always keep before ourselves the reality and urgency of the Lord’s return?

The answer is always the same, we need Jesus. We need to love Him
"all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength." Mark 12:33. Then we will not be complacent, but we will work to hasten His soon coming.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Tuesday September 20

The Mission of the Church While We Wait

Read James 2:14-26.

2:14   What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 
 2:15   If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 
 2:16   And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit? 
 2:17   Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 
 2:18   Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works. 
 2:19   Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 
 2:20   But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? 
 2:21   Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 
 2:22   Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 
 2:23   And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 
 2:24   Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 
 2:25   Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent [them] out another way? 
 2:26   For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. 

In what ways do these verses encapsulate who we are and why we are here?

Is a man really justified by works? Of course not. Then, do we just pass by this thinking that we are right in regards to how one is converted, how one is saved? If we were all right, then we would not still be on this earth waiting. Jesus would have come long ago. But, we remain in a Laodicean condition, as a people. Most are not in a converted state. As a people we believe we are rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing. We think we do not have to have good works, which is a lie from below, and we think if we need to walk on water, we can do so without Christ having possession of the heart.

So, if we are not justified, saved, converted, by our good works, then what does James mean and why was it necessary for James to speak as he does?

In Sunday’s study, the disciples start out pointing to the beauty of the temple buildings. Jesus points their attention to the condition of the church within and its mission to an ending world. The fact is that the church exists because there is a mission, and not vice versa.

The mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church as expressed in the General Conference Working Policy (A 05) is “to make disciples of all people, communicating the everlasting gospel [gospel of the kingdom (Matthew 24:14)] in the context of the three angels’ messages of Revelation 14:6-12, leading them to accept Jesus as personal Savior and unite with His remnant church, discipling them to serve Him as Lord, and preparing them for His soon return.” Preaching, teaching, and healing are the suggested methods to pursue this mission. Under “Healing” the Working Policy says: “Affirming the biblical principles of the well-being of the whole person, we make the preservation of health and the healing of the sick a priority and through our ministry to the poor and oppressed, cooperate with the Creator in His compassionate work of restoration.”

Some are indeed making an effort to teach the principles of healing. We have a most impressive book called Ministry of Healing, that if followed would surely bring blessings to the world and to God's church. But, many in the church, even if sick, have no desire to understand and follow Biblical principles of healing, much less teach them to the world. Eating meat and animal products is killing multitudes, and before they die, they suffer greatly. It is so very sad to see young children suffering from cancer when most of it could be prevented if we had been more caring about these children. If we know that Leukemia in dairy causes breast cancer, then why do we still place dairy on the tables of our church to entice our young ones to partake of it? What kind of example is this?

Even if one is going to rebel against God and make himself sick, why not restrict this to your home and not injure others outside of your family? And we wonder why we do not unselfishly minister to those in urban cities? Some do because they live in these wicked cities just as did Lot and his family, even though they have been warned to leave them.

We studied this last week. There is always more than we see or understand. I was provided with an example of when one may have to live in a wicked city to do evangelism in that city. I was given an example of it taking three days to get outside of the city to where one would find an escape from the evil things in such a city. Well....that is surely a good reason to spend the night in the city, for some. But, not for young people. Keep them out of the filth of the cities.

The good news is that the church will see revival and reformation. As we spend time with Jesus, we shall be changed into His character by beholding Him. It is a promise. Read it in 2 Cor. 3:18.

This quarter began with the concept that Jesus wants to restore His image in humanity and empower us as His followers to be instruments of wholistic restoration in our communities. “The world needs today what it needed nineteen hundred years ago-a revelation of Christ. A great work of reform is demanded, and it is only through the grace of Christ that the work of restoration, physical, mental, and spiritual, can be accomplished.” - Ellen G. White, The Ministry of Healing, p. 143.

We have an opportunity to discuss in today's lesson why it is there is a need for revival and reformation in the church, and how it will take place so that we can cease talking about evangelism and do unselfish healing, preaching, and teaching.

After hearing a seminar that presented the ministry of Jesus as a model and mission for His end-time church, a church member made this statement: “In our part of the world, we are not very open to new ideas and new ways of doing things. What we have heard this week about following the ministry method of Jesus actually is not new. It’s an old idea. We just forgot it.”

Well....we have time to reconsider what healing meant in Christ's day and what it ought to mean in our every day ministry in the world and in the church. Leadership would not only ask the question, but reveal the answer. How is it that we are to practice the ministry of healing today?

“Faith without works is dead.” How have you discovered the reality of how closely linked faith and works are? In what ways do works increase your faith?

Why was James so concerned about those who thought they were saved (justified) without good works? Can someone share why James connects the two so very closely?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:35:22 PM »
Wednesday September 21

Preparing for the Final Harvest While We Wait

Jesus used farming language in His teaching about the kingdom, as pointed out in lesson 5. As we have seen, farming is not merely an event; it is a patient process! It is a regularly repeated cycle with different stages and different jobs for different people at different times. We need to be open to the leading of the Holy Spirit and the providences of God in regard to how we can be used by the Lord in the process of preparing the ground, planting seeds, and reaping the harvest.

Read John 4:35-38.

4:35   Say not ye, There are yet four months, and [then] cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. 
 4:36   And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. 
 4:37   And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. 
 4:38   I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours. 

What kind of imagery is being used there, and what is the message to us in regard to how we should work for others?

The harvest field is ripe. Soon it will be over. We need to pray the Lord will send converted workers into the field. Many are very concerned with baptisms, so much so that many are buried alive and create great difficulties in the church. Ought we  be so very concerned about bringing our work to completion? No. We plant and the Lord will water. God is complete control. We can leave the matter with Him.  Where is out faith?

The fact is, we don’t know people’s hearts. We don’t know how the Holy Spirit has been working in their lives. We might look at various people and think that they have a long way to go before being ready to be harvested when, in reality, all they need is someone to urge them to make a commitment to Jesus. There is a battle for the heart and mind of every human being, and God is calling us to help people choose Him.

The question is "how?"  We need to be very careful what we say and how we say it. We are to be His witnesses, good witnesses. What does God say about His people today when they are in a Laodicean condition?

36:22   Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not [this] for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 
 36:23   And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 

This is what God wants from me....and you.

Read 1 Corinthians 3:6-8.

3:6   I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 
 3:7   So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 
 3:8   Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 

What is the message to us here in the context of outreach?

We labor as we abide in Christ and He in us, and we leave the results with God. He is the One who opens the mind, inspires us with what the share, then waters the seed which has been planted. What have we done? Our part is to be a vehicle He can work through. We not only are blesses as we labor here in this world, but we shall be rewarded in heaven for the good works we have done in the flesh.

In his own way, Paul is saying here what Jesus said in the previous example. The work of outreach is like the work of a farmer. We might not all be doing the same tasks, but that work is still a crucial part of the process of reaching out and winning souls. And though we are to be used by God in various capacities, in the end it is God alone who can bring about the conversion of a soul.

How can we learn to be thankful and humbled by whatever role God has given us in the process of ministering to others? Why is it truly a privilege?

I'm not sure we can learn this. It comes with conversion. Who would question what God gives us to do after all He has done for us? Why would one not be thankful for being so greatly blessed in sharing such important truths that can change a person from a sinner into a saint? Is it not more blessed to give than to receive? Why a privilege? How is it that I such an evil creature by nature am chosen to carry out such an all important mission? It is the nicest of all jobs to be able to work with a person's mind.  With God's help we shall understand that with some we
"have compassion, making a difference: and others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire" Jude 22, 23.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »
Thursday September 22

The Wait Is Over

Many years ago, English author Charles Dickens wrote a book called A Tale of Two Cities.Those two cities were London and Paris. In a sense, it could be said that the Bible is also a tale of two cities. In this case, the two cities are Babylon and Jerusalem.

In Revelation 14:8 and Revelation 18:1-24, the apostle John describes Babylon.

14:8   And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. 
This is not a literal city. It is a church, many churches, fallen churches. We need to be very clear. The lesson did not make this clear. Many do  not like to talk about fallen church that surround us and are greatly responsible for the fallen nature of the societies of the world. This is not a description of churches or a city of old. No, it is speaking of the churches of today.

18:1   And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. 
 18:2   And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. 
 18:3   For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. 
 18:4   And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. 
 18:5   For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. 
 18:6   Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double. 
 18:7   How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow. 
 18:8   Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong [is] the Lord God who judgeth her. 
 18:9   And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning, 
 18:10   Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come. 
 18:11   And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more: 
 18:12   The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble, 
 18:13   And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men. 
 18:14   And the fruits that thy soul lusted after are departed from thee, and all things which were dainty and goodly are departed from thee, and thou shalt find them no more at all. 
 18:15   The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, 
 18:16   And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls! 
 18:17   For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, 
 18:18   And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What [city is] like unto this great city! 
 18:19   And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate. 
 18:20   Rejoice over her, [thou] heaven, and [ye] holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her. 
 18:21   And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast [it] into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all. 
 18:22   And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft [he be], shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee; 
 18:23   And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived. 
 18:24   And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth. 

Yes, this is not comparing two "cities" at all. It is speaking of apostate Christianity. And, before we leave the subject, we must say that this is not the condition of God's church, nor will it ever be. His church will never become Babylon. It will see revival and reformation, even though many will be sifted out of her.

She has been the home of demons and the haunt of evil spirits. She has caused every nation to commit spiritual adultery. Her doom has been pronounced, and she has been declared “fallen.” This city, a symbol of evil and apostasy and rebellion against God, will one day be defeated and destroyed.

No, there is no symbol involved with a "city". Babylon is a noun that is being described in the text. We may wish to say Babylon of old is a type of today's modern Babylon, and that would be true. But, in the texts presented, we are not in any way talking about a city which is a symbol, but the real thing. Babylon is apostate fallen Christianity, led by the Roman Church and preparing to enforce her doctrine on the world. Sunday is not Biblical, but the pope and his confederates are planning for the abomination which will spell the end of the world.

Read Revelation 21:1-4. How does the New Jerusalem contrast with Babylon?

18:1   And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. 
 18:2   And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. 
 18:3   For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. 
 18:4   And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. 

The second city is the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, described in Revelation 21:1-27 and 22:1-21. This city houses those who have chosen the Bridegroom and rejected the selfishness and spiritual adulteries of Satan and his followers. By God’s grace, the redeemed have obeyed His commandments and reflected the faith of Jesus (Rev. 14:12). Their patient endurance and their eagerness to embrace the ministry of Jesus provided a taste of the kingdom of heaven while on earth. They have been saved through faith in Jesus; His righteousness alone made them worthy of heaven. Their care for “the least of these” (Matt. 25:40) has been the outward manifestation of that saving faith.

By the blood of the Lamb (Revelation 5:1-14) the church’s role in compassionate restoration has changed to jubilant celebration (see Rev. 5:13-14). In that happy and Holy City, “God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." Rev. 21:4. True peace has been restored. The full restoration of the image of God, mentally, spiritually, and physically, has taken place. The great controversy is over and from “the minutest atom to the greatest world, all things, animate and inanimate, in their unshadowed beauty and perfect joy, declare that God is love.” - Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 678.

Read Revelation 22:21.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

In what way does that verse, the last one in the Bible, capture the essence of all that we believe?

It is an interesting way to end the Truth revealed in Scripture. Let's consider what is being said. John was inspired to write this, why? I had never considered why until just now. Let our Bible scholars share their thoughts on why the Bible closes in this manner.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »
Tuesday September 20

The Mission of the Church While We Wait

Read James 2:14-26.

2:14   What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 
 2:15   If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 
 2:16   And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit? 
 2:17   Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 
 2:18   Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works. 
 2:19   Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 
 2:20   But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? 
 2:21   Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 
 2:22   Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 
 2:23   And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 
 2:24   Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 
 2:25   Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent [them] out another way? 
 2:26   For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. 

In what ways do these verses encapsulate who we are and why we are here?

Is a man really justified by works? Of course not. Then, do we just pass by this thinking that we are right in regards to how one is converted, how one is saved? If we were all right, then we would not still be on this earth waiting. Jesus would have come long ago. But, we remain in a Laodicean condition, as a people. Most are not in a converted state. As a people we believe we are rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing. We think we do not have to have good works, which is a lie from below, and we think if we need to walk on water, we can do so without Christ having possession of the heart.

So, if we are not justified, saved, converted, by our good works, then what does James mean and why was it necessary for James to speak as he does?

In Sunday’s study, the disciples start out pointing to the beauty of the temple buildings. Jesus points their attention to the condition of the church within and its mission to an ending world. The fact is that the church exists because there is a mission, and not vice versa.

The mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church as expressed in the General Conference Working Policy (A 05) is “to make disciples of all people, communicating the everlasting gospel [gospel of the kingdom (Matthew 24:14)] in the context of the three angels’ messages of Revelation 14:6-12, leading them to accept Jesus as personal Savior and unite with His remnant church, discipling them to serve Him as Lord, and preparing them for His soon return.” Preaching, teaching, and healing are the suggested methods to pursue this mission. Under “Healing” the Working Policy says: “Affirming the biblical principles of the well-being of the whole person, we make the preservation of health and the healing of the sick a priority and through our ministry to the poor and oppressed, cooperate with the Creator in His compassionate work of restoration.”

Some are indeed making an effort to teach the principles of healing. We have a most impressive book called Ministry of Healing, that if followed would surely bring blessings to the world and to God's church. But, many in the church, even if sick, have no desire to understand and follow Biblical principles of healing, much less teach them to the world. Eating meat and animal products is killing multitudes, and before they die, they suffer greatly. It is so very sad to see young children suffering from cancer when most of it could be prevented if we had been more caring about these children. If we know that Leukemia in dairy causes breast cancer, then why do we still place dairy on the tables of our church to entice our young ones to partake of it? What kind of example is this?

Even if one is going to rebel against God and make himself sick, why not restrict this to your home and not injure others outside of your family? And we wonder why we do not unselfishly minister to those in urban cities? Some do because they live in these wicked cities just as did Lot and his family, even though they have been warned to leave them.

We studied this last week. There is always more than we see or understand. I was provided with an example of when one may have to live in a wicked city to do evangelism in that city. I was given an example of it taking three days to get outside of the city to where one would find an escape from the evil things in such a city. Well....that is surely a good reason to spend the night in the city, for some. But, not for young people. Keep them out of the filth of the cities.

The good news is that the church will see revival and reformation. As we spend time with Jesus, we shall be changed into His character by beholding Him. It is a promise. Read it in 2 Cor. 3:18.

This quarter began with the concept that Jesus wants to restore His image in humanity and empower us as His followers to be instruments of wholistic restoration in our communities. “The world needs today what it needed nineteen hundred years ago-a revelation of Christ. A great work of reform is demanded, and it is only through the grace of Christ that the work of restoration, physical, mental, and spiritual, can be accomplished.” - Ellen G. White, The Ministry of Healing, p. 143.

We have an opportunity to discuss in today's lesson why it is there is a need for revival and reformation in the church, and how it will take place so that we can cease talking about evangelism and do unselfish healing, preaching, and teaching.

After hearing a seminar that presented the ministry of Jesus as a model and mission for His end-time church, a church member made this statement: “In our part of the world, we are not very open to new ideas and new ways of doing things. What we have heard this week about following the ministry method of Jesus actually is not new. It’s an old idea. We just forgot it.”

Well....we have time to reconsider what healing meant in Christ's day and what it ought to mean in our every day ministry in the world and in the church. Leadership would not only ask the question, but reveal the answer. How is it that we are to practice the ministry of healing today?

“Faith without works is dead.” How have you discovered the reality of how closely linked faith and works are? In what ways do works increase your faith?

Why was James so concerned about those who thought they were saved (justified) without good works? Can someone share why James connects the two so very closely?

Faith and works are inseparable--but Jesus must be in the heart for there to be that true faith that works by love and purifies the soul (see Galatians 5:6). The evidence that Christ is truly abiding in the heart and that He is working in and through us is that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. It is impossible to truly be beholding Jesus daily, surrendering fully to Him, and not also experience the desire to share with others what a precious friend has been found in Jesus (see Desire of Ages, page 195, as this was revealed in the life of the woman at the well). May we see our continual need of Jesus, and see that what James is talking about is faith--a faith that is made active by beholding God's grace (for we are saved by grace through faith, see Ephesians 2:8-10, which is connected to doing the things God has prepared for us in Him!) What a joy it is to abide in Christ! All that we can attempt to do of ourselves is selfish and unholy, unless our hearts and minds are renewed by divine grace (being partakers of the divine nature through conversion, which is to be continually maintained). Let us look to Jesus continually!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 04:35:04 AM »
Pastor Sean;

It is my understanding that works have a lot more to do with salvation than most realize. In fact, it might be said that the only part that works do not play is that of singly making one righteous through merit. I believe that works are very much a part of salvation in that we choose and Christ lives out  His life in us. If what we choose to do or not do has no part in salvation then all are saved and there is no sanctification process. This is close to what many believe. There is a work, a great deal of work that needs to be done in us and through us if we are to enter heaven. That work includes our walking with Christ, denying self, and doing the Lord's bidding.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »

Friday September 23

Further Thought: Read Matthew 5:16; Colossians 3:17; Hebrews 13:15-16; read Ellen G. White, “On the Mount of Olives,” pp. 627-636, and reread “ 'The Least of These My Brethren,’ ” pp. 637-641, in The Desire of Ages.

Jesus told us what the signs of the end would be before He returned, and they are not pretty. Wars, rumors of wars, pestilence, et cetera. If people often use the excuse of evil to reject God, they certainly have plenty of excuses now, and they will have more excuses as we get nearer to the end. Thus, it becomes even more crucial for God’s people, those who claim to be His followers, to reflect His character to the world and to help people get a better view of what God is like. “If we would humble ourselves before God, and be kind and courteous and tenderhearted and pitiful, there would be one hundred conversions to the truth where now there is only one.” - Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 9, p. 189. What a simple yet powerful statement in regard to outreach and ministry to others. While we wait for Jesus’ second coming, He expects members of His church to preach and live the whole gospel; to invest ourselves and our resources in His work; to love, respect, and care for people; and to open our lives for the Holy Spirit in His fullness. That’s a witness that all the arguments in the world can’t nullify.

Discussion Questions:

In class, talk about the difference between what it would be like living in “Babylon” as opposed to living in “Jerusalem.” What would be the major differences between the two cities? That is, where is the major difference to be found-in what the places look like, or in who lives in them?

The great question for Christians is not “Do works have a role in the Christian faith?” Of course they do. Instead, the question is “If works cannot save us, then what is their role in the Christian faith?”

Yes, indeed. The great question for Christians is "what is the role of works in the Christian faith?" Why is that such a great question in God's church? Because the "evangelical gospel" which is no gospel at all, has come into God's church. Where shall we start? We cannot produce the good works God asks of us if we do it for the wrong reason. God wants the heart, the whole heart. Then we will love not only the hungry, but those who despitefully use us.

We might consider the Word found in Daniel 7:10. "A fiery stream issued and came forth from before Him: thousand thousands ministered unto Him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened."  

What judment was set? Which books were opened? Why were they opened? When were they opened?  As a people we used to understand, but the teachers of the "evangelical gospel" have perverted the truth and most don't believe what is happening in the heavenly sanctuary today. It has everything to do with true good works, the kind that come from a converted Christian. When the heart is fully surrendered to Christ, when love for Jesus is supreme, then we will love our neighbor as ourselves. Then, the good deeds and words seen in the life will testify to the reality that a Christian is a changed person. Good works do not come from one who professes to be a Christian, but from one who is a Christian. Good works cannot come from an unconverted man, for he is evil by nature. Good works come from a heart filled with the Spirit of God (born of the Spirit). 

When the books in heaven are opened, they will testify to the heart of the professing Christian. The thoughts, words, deeds, and motives are all written down. Listen to the what Paul says about two different kinds of works.

"If ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.  Galatians 5:18-24.

Do we believe him?

How do we answer that question, especially in the context of reaching out and ministering to others in need?

How are we waiting for Jesus to return? That is, what are we doing in our lives that reveals the reality of our belief in His return? Why should we be living differently from those who don’t believe in the Second Coming?

What are we living for? If for Christ, then what is Jesus attempting to do, or better yet, what will Jesus achieve with His work in the heavenly sanctuary today? He is soon to walk out of it, never to return. This means that soon, very soon, there will be no more forgiveness of sin. Is this a reason we ought to be living differently from those who put off the coming of Christ? It is if we are living for Christ.

It takes time to develop a character that can stand through the time of trouble such as never was, without a mediator. What is the difference between the character of a truly converted Christian who will not live past the close of probation, and those who will?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
As we close this quarter's lessons on evangelism, we touched on the need to have Christ abiding in us if we want to lead others to Him. A Laodicean church does not have Christ in the hearts of many in the church. This is why Jesus says to "repent". We need to do more than touch on our need, and we need to explain what Jesus means when He tells us to buy "gold tried in the fire, "white raiment", and "eye salve".   It is helpful to explain what Jesus said to a leader in Israel when Nicodemus came under cover of darkness to have a visit. Jesus did not enter into Nicodemus' discussion, but immediately informed him he needed to be converted. Some may not understand that conversion means having the Holy Spirit in the heart. Jesus put it this way "you must be born again." He went on to distinguish between that which is born of the flesh, all of us, and that which is born of the Spirit, those who are truly converted. We are evil by nature, but when converted, we become partakers of God's divine nature (2Peter 1:4), and are given power to keep the evil flesh under. "I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Cor. 9:27.

When in a converted state we manifest the good works James speaks of. They do not save us, but are a testimony that the Spirit has taken possession of the heart and mind. Every one of the fruits of His Spirit are seen in the life, not one is missing. When we are abiding in Christ and He in us, one does not have to be told to minister to the lost. It is the result of love, the love of Jesus that has come into the fully surrendered heart. Many are confused and need to have this made simple. And, it is not good enough to tell one, as Jesus told Nicodemus, they need to be born again. We must also finish the story. Jesus told Nicodemus what he must do in order to be born again. What did Jesus tell Nicodemus he must do in order to come to a full surrender of his will to the will of God? This is the "milk" of which Paul speaks of. Until we can understand the conversation Jesus had with Nicodemus, it will be hard to be transformed in nature. If not born again, then do not expect others or yourself to love the unlovely. It is impossible to do it unselfishly. We need to be converted, born again of His Spirit. Then we will have a story to tell others about how Jesus saved us from a life of sin and death. We must get the horse in front of the cart, or else our good works are as filthy rags and then feeding the hungry is just a game being played by the walking dead.

There is a separation taking place in the church. It is not hard to see. Let us who love Jesus with the whole heart, press together. Let the revival and reformation begin with us. It will spread rapidly. Jesus stands at the door knocking wanting in. Let Him in today.