Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 12--3rd Quarter 2016--Urban Ministry in the End Time  (Read 11748 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
I feel immensely blessed that after months of prayer, God led me to find a small, country property with a simple home on nine acres where I will be able to have peace and quiet on a rural road, with no visible neighbors, in an area that is surrounded by the glorious green of trees (and soon the oranges and yellows of fall, and then the crisp white of snow) where it will be blessing to spend time working the soil, communing with God in nature, and encouraging others to seek God in His timing and way to move out of the cities to retired places.

Pastor Sean, I praise God for your blessing that He has given you. We serve a good God and i hope that others are encouraged by your testimony of how God will lead us when we desire and put forth an effort to follow inspired counsel.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
This week's lesson provides plenty of opportunity for those who have studied the matter of evangelism to present the truth that has been entrusted to God's church. There is need to rightly divide the truth so that all might not be led astray.

As a little inducement to study this week's lesson I present a statement from our lesson about an "expert" in the church who seems to be conflicted over what to do about families living in metropolitan areas in order to reach the city. The author of the lesson is not conflicted at all. He already in past lessons told us we need to move into the cities. Here is the statement from this week's lesson:

"A Seventh-day Adventist expert in urban ministries did a study in the Ellen G. White periodical index regarding her counsel on moving in or out of the cities. Out of 107 articles, 24 articles gave instruction on moving out or establishing institutions outside cities. But 75 articles gave specific instruction to move into the cities to reach the cities. The other eight articles were neutral."

And the conclusion of that matter? The author follows the above with this quote:

“Why should not families who know the present truth settle in these cities? . . . There will be laymen who will move into . . . cities . . ., that they may let the light which God has given them shine forth to others.” - Ellen G. White in Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, September 29, 1891.

My suggestion is that all read the whole article and see what the burden was as the article was written. It will be a blessing for all who love Jesus and want to follow Him. Then, we can discuss what we think was being presented in the various articles that appear to some to give conflicting counsel. I don't believe the articles contradicted one another.

The article remains in the post being quoted if you want to read it. But, I came across a statement that will impress those trying to sort out the truth about living in metropolitan areas to do ministry, especially when having a family. Unlike the article, which some would not read because it would take some time, this statement is short and to the point.

He [Enoch] did not make his abode with the wicked. He did not locate in Sodom, thinking to save Sodom. He placed himself and his family where the atmosphere would be as pure as possible. Then at times he went forth to the inhabitants of the world with his God-given message. Every visit he made to the world was painful to him. He saw and understood something of the leprosy of sin. After proclaiming his message, he always took back with him to his place of retirement some who had received the warning. Some of these became overcomers and died before the Flood came. But some had lived so long in the corrupting influence of sin that they could not endure righteousness. They did not retain their purity of faith, but returned to their former customs and practices.—Manuscript 42, 1900.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.