Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 2--3rd Quarter 2016--Restoring Dominion  (Read 7646 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 2 * July 2-8

Restoring Dominion

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 2--3rd Quarter 2016--Restoring Dominion
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 05:29:47 AM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Gen. 1:26-28, Ps. 8:3-8, Gen. 2:15, Rom. 8:20-22, Exod. 20:1-17, Rom. 1:25, 2 Thess. 3:10.

Memory Text: “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”  Genesis 1:26

At the Fall our first parents lost more than just their original image of God.

“Not only man but the earth also had by sin come under the control of the wicked one, and was to be restored by the plan of Redemption. At his creation, Adam was placed in dominion over the earth. But by yielding to temptation, he was brought under the power of Satan, and the dominion which he held passed to his conqueror. Thus Satan became 'the god of this world.’ He had usurped that dominion over the earth which had been originally given to Adam. But Christ, by His sacrifice paying the penalty of sin, would not only redeem man, but recover the dominion which he had forfeited. All that was lost by the first Adam will be restored by the second.” - Ellen G. White, in Signs of the Times, November 4, 1908.

No question, after the Fall, human beings lost so much, including the “dominion” that we originally had been given.

What was this lost dominion? Though the idea of “dominion” often has negative connotations today, it certainly didn’t back in Eden. What did it mean when humans were first given dominion over the earth? And what can the church do to help people regain some of what was lost after the tragic fall of our first parents in Eden?

In an of ourselves, we can do nothing to help others regain anything they lost. And, until they are converted, they will not gain anything lost. But, just as soon as the dominion was lost, God made a covenant to help help humanity regain something they lost. Before Adam sinned, he had holy flesh. After he sinned, he had fallen flesh. The fallen nature was aligned with Satan and sin. Adam was at "enmity" with God, not Satan. The covenant we discussed in last week's lesson was a promise, a conditional promise, that God would not only provide a Savior at great expense, but would place a hatred for sin and Satan in the heart of man. Christ fulfilled His part of the covenant in regards to suffering and dying that we might have a Savior to bear our sins. Bearing our sins does not help us regain what was lost, though. The promise to put "enmity" between Satan and the woman is a promise to help us regain something very important that was lost, eternal life. This is what God wants us to have and that He wants us to help others get.

First we need to understand the covenant so that we are no longer confused about what it means to be converted. To be converted, is to be born again of the Spirit, to become a partaker of God's divine nature (2 Peter 1:4). When we surrender fully to Christ, the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart. Then the fruits of the Spirit being in the heart are seen in the life, not one is missing. Thus, it can be seen that the everlasting covenant has been fulfilled in that individual. He has a hatred for sin and does not sin as long as he does not lose his connection with Christ.,

When a man or woman is in a converted state, how do they relate to those who are not saved? The converted Christian loves his neighbor as himself. Then does he long to help his neighbor? The true disciple does not have to be encouraged to help his neighbor, he will help him as he can. The establishment of systems to lead unconverted church members to give to the lost something the church member does not possess will not work.

The solution for a dead church is to make the dead church members alive in Christ Jesus. Then individuals will have dominion over self. Dominion over the Earth and its creatures will have to wait for the New Earth.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 05:41:36 AM »
Sunday July 3

Created for Dominion

Someone recently wrote the following about a friend, an avowed atheist who said that she sometimes “wakes in the middle of the night, stressing over a bunch of deep questions: 'Is this world truly the result of an accidental cosmic big bang? How could there be no design, no grand purpose to our existence and to the universe as a whole? Can it be that every life-including my own, my husband’s, my two children’s-is totally irrelevant and meaningless? Does my life have no meaning and purpose?

After the Fall humanity lost so much. We became, as the story of the Fall showed, alienated, not only from God but from each other. Even our relationship toward the earth itself changed. And, as the questions asked by the woman above show, we also struggle with knowing who we are and what the purposes of our lives are, problems that for many are made much worse by the prevailing idea that our existence resulted only from chance, with no foresight or purpose built in by a Creator God.

What do the following texts teach about the purposes for humanity’s creation? Gen. 1:26-28; Ps. 8:3-8; Isa. 43:6-7?

1:26   And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 
 1:27   So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 
 1:28   And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. 

8:3   When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 
 8:4   What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 
 8:5   For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 
 8:6   Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all [things] under his feet: 
 8:7   All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; 
 8:8   The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, [and whatsoever] passeth through the paths of the seas. 

43:6   I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth; 
 43:7   [Even] every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

What does “created him for My glory” (Isa. 43:7) mean? How does “My [God’s] glory” relate to dominion?

God created us to reflect His character (glory). If we are to help others, we must first be filled with His Spirit so we can reflect His character, for without an indwelling Savior, we cannot do any good thing. Remember that our fallen nature is aligned with sin and Satan until we are converted and we are given "enmity" towards Satan and sin.

As we can see in the verses in Genesis, whatever other reasons God had for creating Adam and Eve, they were also created in order to have dominion over the earth (Gen. 1:26-28). Together, reflecting God’s glory and character, the first couple were to be channels through whom He, the One with ultimate glory and dominion (Rev. 1:5-6), would nurture, care for, and administer the rest of His earthly creation. Who knows how God’s glory would have been revealed through them and their dominion over the world were it not for the rise of sin?

Now, though, through faith in Jesus, through surrendering our lives to Him in faith and obedience and cooperation, we can say with David: “The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me:” Ps. 138:8. Knowing that God has a purpose for each of us is a cause for confidence and rejoicing, especially when we are surrendered to Him so that His will can be fulfilled in us.

Amen! God cannot fulfill His will in us unless we are in a converted state (fully surrendered).

If someone were to ask you, “OK, so what do you, as a Christian, say that the purpose of your life is?” what would you respond, and why?

We have the last message of warning to give to the world. It is known as the three angels message. The first angel has the gospel to proclaim, but he also says "Fear God and give glory to Him...."  In other words, we are telling others to be converted and then "give glory to God."  What does it mean to give glory to God? It means to reflect Him in character. This is why God leaves us on this Earth after we are converted. He took the thief on the cross to his grave, just after he was converted. But, His great desire is to have a church that is converted and rightly represents His character. Would you like to make Jesus smile? Give your whole heart to Him and He will smile.

Then we will be in a position to have influence with those to whom we carry the last message of warning. When we reflect the character of Christ, then the world will know there is a God in heaven.
"And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes." Ezekiel 36:23.  Amen!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »
As with Cain and Abel, in the last days there will be two groups of people, those who are recreated in the image of God and those who have taken on the image of the beast.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:49:35 AM »
Amen, cp. I wonder, though, has that not always been the case since the fall?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 07:48:46 PM »
Sunday July 3

Created for Dominion

Now, though, through faith in Jesus, through surrendering our lives to Him in faith and obedience and cooperation, we can say with David: “The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me:” Ps. 138:8. Knowing that God has a purpose for each of us is a cause for confidence and rejoicing, especially when we are surrendered to Him so that His will can be fulfilled in us.

Amen! God cannot fulfill His will in us unless we are in a converted state (fully surrendered).

If someone were to ask you, “OK, so what do you, as a Christian, say that the purpose of your life is?” what would you respond, and why?

We have the last message of warning to give to the world. It is known as the three angels message. The first angel has the gospel to proclaim, but he also says "Fear God and give glory to Him...."  In other words, we are telling others to be converted and then "give glory to God."  What does it mean to give glory to God? It means to reflect Him in character. This is why God leaves us on this Earth after we are converted. He took the thief on the cross to his grave, just after he was converted. But, His great desire is to have a church that is converted and rightly represents His character. Would you like to make Jesus smile? Give your whole heart to Him and He will smile.

Then we will be in a position to have influence with those to whom we carry the last message of warning. When we reflect the character of Christ, then the world will know there is a God in heaven.
"And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes." Ezekiel 36:23.  Amen!!

Amen! What a blessing to realize our need to be fully surrendered (converted), as the evidence of this is that all the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life--not one will be missing. I desire to make Jesus smile. I desire to daily spend time with Him beholding His loveliness, and as a result, have Him reflect His character through me because the Holy Spirit will abide in my heart through a living-faith connection that is to be continually maintained! I love Jesus, and my soul cries out continually, "More of Thee, Jesus!" and I know He says, "Much more."

When the lesson asked the question, "Who knows how God's glory would have been revealed through them and their dominion over the world were it not for the rise of sin?" my mind immediately goes to the character of Jesus--He longs to spend time with us, He longs for us to enjoy Him and to delight in Him so that each day we will more fully reflect Him! Had Adam and Eve not sinned, they would have safely passed their test of probation, and then would have been secure from sin for eternity because they would continually behold Jesus, their loving Creator. Beholding and reflecting--that is what we were created for...we make things too complicated.

The gospel is simple. Before sin, Adam and Eve needed to commune with God, and they sinned by departing from God and rejecting His word, choosing to believe Satan. We now have a fallen nature that is aligned with Satan and sin, and can do no good thing apart from a completely surrendered (converted) relationship with Jesus, that is begun and continually maintained by faith ignited by beholding the loveliness of Jesus. When we are living by faith upon Jesus, all the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life without one missing.

Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

If these fruits are missing, we need to be converted. If we allow our hearts and minds to wander from Jesus, then we are disconnected from the life of the vine, and can bear no fruit, and do no good thing apart from Him. But wondrous love, Jesus pursues us as our probation remains open, and will earnestly seek to save us from sin; hear His voice and knock if you are separated from Him:

Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

If He is in your heart, remain connected to Him, and experience the joy of union and communion with Christ! If you are disconnected, come, behold Jesus and surrender anew to Him, and He will fill you with His Spirit. Jesus is willing to take up PERMANENT residence in your heart--and only our choice to sin will cause Him to leave. Let us keep Him upon the throne of the heart.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 08:19:30 PM »
Monday July 4

The Privilege of Dominion

What is the “dominion” that humans were to have over the earth, as expressed in Genesis 1:26-28?

1:26   And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 
 1:27   So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 
 1:28   And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. 

The biblical word dominion comes from the Hebrew verb radah. This word indicates a right and responsibility to rule. It implies, in this context, a hierarchy of power and authority in which the human race is positioned above the rest of the natural world. While the verb radah, as used in the rest of the Old Testament, does not itself define how this dominion is to be exercised, whether benevolently or malevolently, the context of a sinless and unfallen creation shows that the intent must have been benevolent in nature.

Similar conclusions may be drawn about subduing the earth in Genesis 1:28. The verb subdue,from the Hebrew kavash, also depicts a hierarchical relationship in which humans are positioned above the earth and are granted power and control over it. Elsewhere in the Old Testament the verb kavash is even more forceful than radah, describing the actual act of subjugation, of forcing another into a subordinate position (Num. 32:22, 29; Jer. 34:11, 16; Esther 7:8; Neh. 5:5). In many of these cases, the abuse of power is obvious and God’s displeasure expressed. But again, taking into consideration the context, within the Creation story, of a sinless couple created in the image of God to administer the earth, this subduing of the earth can be characterized only as benevolent service to creation on behalf of the Creator. It certainly was not exploitation.

We find an additional dimension to this concept of dominion in Genesis 2:15, where God places Adam in the garden to dress (abad - to work, to serve, to till) and to keep (shamar - to hedge about, guard, protect, attend to, look narrowly, observe, preserve, regard, reserve).

Keeping this in mind, we discover that dominion is caring and loving stewardship or management. Within their relationship with God our first parents were to have all the resources and authority that they needed to execute their dominion, which would have reflected God’s divine love of His creation.

Though the word dominion today can, and often does, have negative connotations, it certainly didn’t when first expressed in the Bible. What are some principles that we can take from this pre-Fall use of the term and apply to how we relate to whatever or whomever we have “dominion” over?

Accepting the gospel message does not mean that the fallen natural world will recognize the dominion that was forfeited when Adam and Eve sinned. The kind of dominion most needed now is self-conquest through the grace of Christ. We are unable to subdue self apart from the power of Christ. We need to behold the loveliness of Jesus and let Him change our hearts as we surrender entirely to Him. We can be encouraged that Eden will be restored, and that the dominion that was lost through sin will be fully restored in Christ when the earth is made new. But until then, the most important dominion that needs to be regained in our own lives is that the heart which is by nature evil is given over entirely to Christ to make fully new--the evidence of which newness is that all the fruits of the Spirit will flow in the believer's life--not one will be missing!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:03:49 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean.   The word dominion has no "negative connotations."  It may be used in a negative manner, but the word in and of itself does not carry a negative meaning. When we use it as the Bible uses it, in describing Adam's ruler ship over creation prior to his fall, we understand the position given to him, a position he never regained. But, as Pastor Sean points out, we through the power of an indwelling Savior, can regain dominion over self. Praise God for giving us this opportunity!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »

How do we strike the right balance in our attitude toward the earth: being good stewards of the home we have been given while at the same time avoiding the danger of making the earth and the environment gods whom we all but worship? What warning might Romans 1:25 have for us here?

The answer is always the same--we need Jesus in our hearts. We cannot "strike the right balance" of ourselves. He is willing to teach us what to do, and how to do it. The same Master of wind and sea and sky also cursed the fig tree that represented the Jewish nation, because they bore no fruit to the glory and honor of God (the fruits spoken of in Galatians 5:22-23 were missing from their lives, for they had not Christ in their hearts). Jesus is our Example, and we see Him putting His focus upon what is of primary importance: the proclamation of the gospel, calling people to repentance. The heart that keeps fresh in memory's hall the scenes of Calvary's cross will be given divine grace to keep one from falling into the degenerate form of worshipping the creature rather than the Creator. We can do nothing our ourselves, and our role as stewards is essentially rooted in our relational stewardship with Christ. If we make our primary concern our physical environment, but fail to cultivate the garden of the heart (where the fruits of the Spirit are to grow and flourish because of Christ's personal presence), we will not be able to be good stewards in either area. In Christ we find the solution--He will help us to find ways to be responsible without being idolatrous, because we will see all created things for what they are: expressions of God's love for us, with the realization that they have been affected by sin. We rejoice in Christ now, even though we await the manifestation of a new heavens and a new earth.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  In order to rule over anything, we need to be born again of His Spirit. Otherwise it is an abomination attempting to rule over things when we are following Satan.

Tuesday July 5

Boundaries

Does humanity’s dominion over “all the earth” (Gen. 1:26) indicate that there are no boundaries to our dominion? Biblical history indicates that dominion (which can also be understood as “stewardship”) must have boundaries.

For example, God told Adam that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was off-limits (see Gen. 2:15-17). The first sin was, then, in the context of stewardship. Adam and Eve overstepped the boundaries that God had set on their dominion. Creation is still suffering from that overstepping of boundaries (see Rom. 8:20-22).

Read Exodus 20:1-17. What kinds of “boundaries” are set there for us in God’s law? What does the law tell us about the limits of human dominion?

Throughout human history (for example, Pharaoh in Exodus 1-14; Herod in Matthew 2:1-23), to the end of time (see Revelation 13:1-18), domineering people controlled by Satan are notorious for attempting to dominate that over which they have no rightful control. They imitate Satan, who seized power and made himself “the prince of this world” (John 12:31). Dominion gone awry becomes domination.

On the other hand, there are those who refuse to accept control over that which they need to have dominion (see Matt. 25:14-30, Luke 19:12-27).

25:14   For [the kingdom of heaven is] as a man travelling into a far country, [who] called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 
 25:15   And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. 
 25:16   Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made [them] other five talents. 
 25:17   And likewise he that [had received] two, he also gained other two. 
 25:18   But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. 
 25:19   After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. 
 25:20   And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. 
 25:21   His lord said unto him, Well done, [thou] good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. 
 25:22   He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. 
 25:23   His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. 
 25:24   Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strowed: 
 25:25   And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, [there] thou hast [that is] thine. 
 25:26   His lord answered and said unto him, [Thou] wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strowed: 
 25:27   Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and [then] at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. 
 25:28   Take therefore the talent from him, and give [it] unto him which hath ten talents. 
 25:29   For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. 
 25:30   And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 

Yes, man has dominion over the talents given to Him. But, unless he has given his mind to Christ, then he has no wisdom to use his talents for unselfish purposes.

Even though sin caused humanity to lose the level of dominion given at Creation, our original dominion was not entirely lost because of sin. There is plenty that is within our current boundaries of responsibility: for example, Christ-enabled self-mastery in our personal lives (see 1 Cor. 9:25-27; Gal. 5:22-23), and the care of the earth and its creatures, and of all that has been given to us by God (see James 1:17, Matt. 25:14-30). We need, as Christians, to understand what our boundaries are and then work to be faithful stewards within those boundaries.

What are some specific boundaries that you need to respect in regard to others, such as family, friends, coworkers? What principles can we use to help us know what those boundaries are (see, for instance, Matt. 7:1, 12)?

It seems that there are few responsibilities that man has after the fall that could be called dominion. What does man rule over after the fall?  Adam lost most everything. Jesus is the ruler of the Earth, Satan has claimed dominion, but it is a false claim. He did not take Adam's place, Jesus did. But, in Genesis we find that God gave man dominion of Eve because she sinned first. Before sin, there were equal, but after sin, Adam was the head of the family. That means he had dominion over the children also.

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.  Genesis 3:16

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 09:09:22 PM »
Wednesday July 6

Care of the Earth

“And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.” Gen. 2:15.

What principles, if any, can we take from this text that should influence how we relate to our planet in terms of taking care of it?

Before sin, God gave to Adam the pleasure of training the trees and vines. Unless we train them today, they seem to get along pretty good. But, we lose much by not spending time in the garden. It is a joy to train trees and vines. Not like before sin, for now we sweat unless we can get it done before the sun beats down on us.  :(   Things are getting pretty bad in California. We have heathen rulers that steal our water and poison our ground water, and foul the air with chemicals. And it seems through their playing with the weather, it is freezing in some areas, flooding in some, and there are droughts in other areas. But, we can have peace amid the storm, for John says in Revelation 11:18, God will
"destroy them which destroy the earth." 

Before sin, Adam and Eve had been delegated stewardship over all that God had entrusted to them. They had mastery over plant and animal life. Yet, after sin, all of nature seemed to rebel against them to the same extent that they had rebelled against God. Human beings began to see themselves powerless in the face of the elements (weather, agriculture, the animal kingdom).

Human beings not converted. But, even then God sends rain and sun even upon sinners.

“Among the lower creatures Adam had stood as king, and so long as he remained loyal to God, all nature acknowledged his rule; but when he transgressed, this dominion was forfeited. The spirit of rebellion, to which he himself had given entrance, extended throughout the animal creation. Thus not only the life of man, but the nature of the beasts, the trees of the forest, the grass of the field, the very air he breathed, all told the sad lesson of the knowledge of evil.” - Ellen G. White, Education, pp. 26, 27.

Notice inspiration tells us two things: Before sin, Adam had dominion over "the lower creatures", and over "all nature." We are also told, that this dominion over these two "was forfeited" when he sinned.

Today we are still ravaged by natural disasters and our deteriorating ecosystem, at least in some places. Thus, we make great efforts to use technology and industry to protect ourselves. However, though technology and industry may help us protect ourselves, sometimes the same technology can damage our planet. Ecology is a moral, ethical, and theological issue, especially when exploitation of the earth can lead to great hardship for others.

Ecology today has a bad name, for it is under the control of the heathen. Those who believe we come from monkeys and who believe the Earth is billions of years old. "Social justice" is being used by the same group and the pope to remove liberty from humanity. Freedom is under attack in the name of ecology.

“Seventh-day Adventists advocate a simple, wholesome lifestyle, where people do not step on the treadmill of unbridled consumerism, goods-getting, and production of waste. We call for respect of creation, restraint in the use of the world’s resources, reevaluation of one’s needs, and reaffirmation of the dignity of created life.”-In “Official Statement of the Seventh-day Adventist Church on Environment,” 1995.

Yes, there is no need to kill animals any longer for food. It is immoral and presents a great risk to human health. Cancer is spread through eating the carcasses of animals and their eggs and milk. And, it takes a lot more water and energy to produce meat instead of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. It is good to see the lesson bringing this to light. Although it does not seem it went far enough. If we parrot what the world says, then are we any different? We ought to be different with the light we have and having Jesus in our hearts.

How do we strike the right balance in our attitude toward the earth: being good stewards of the home we have been given while at the same time avoiding the danger of making the earth and the environment gods whom we all but worship? What warning might Romans 1:25 have for us here?

Pastor Sean addressed this, but let us put Romans 1:25 in context so there is no misunderstanding what the warning is. Then no comment is necessary.

1:21   Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 
 1:22   Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 
 1:23   And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 
 1:24   Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 
 1:25   Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 
 1:26   For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 
 1:27   And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. 
 1:28   And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 
 1:29   Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 
 1:30   Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 
 1:31   Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 
 1:32   Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:31:37 PM »
Thursday July 7

Restoring “Dominion”

Through the Fall we as humans have lost so much, including the kind of dominion that our first parents were privileged to have in Eden. Christ came in order to restore to us what we lost.

And because of what Christ has done for us, we, too, have been called by God to reach out to others, helping them regain in Christ the salvation and dominion lost at the Fall that He has given back to us. Though this process will not be complete until the second coming of Jesus and beyond, there’s much that we can do now in reaching out to those who are needy, lost, and overwhelmed by the world. We can be used by God to help start that restoration even now, as we reach out and help those in need.

What do the following texts each say that can be applied to helping others regain some of the “dominion” lost through sin?

Deut. 15:7-12
 15:7   If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother: 
 15:8   But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, [in that] which he wanteth. 
 15:9   Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye be evil against thy poor brother, and thou givest him nought; and he cry unto the LORD against thee, and it be sin unto thee. 
 15:10   Thou shalt surely give him, and thine heart shall not be grieved when thou givest unto him: because that for this thing the LORD thy God shall bless thee in all thy works, and in all that thou puttest thine hand unto. 
 15:11   For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land. 
 15:12   [And] if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee. 

It appears that we may have to consider our modern society a bit here?  It is interesting to be told we will always have the poor. Why is that? What kind of blessing does God give when we give unselfishly to those win need? Have you experienced the joy of helping others? Is it indeed more blessed to give than to receive? Why is this?

Luke 14:12-14
 14:12   Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor [thy] rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompense be made thee. 
 14:13   But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: 
 14:14   And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Is this why we help some, because we expect to receive something in exchange?

1 Pet. 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 

Does this mean our hearts ought to be "sanctified"? How can a hard heart be cleansed and made holy?

James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world. 

Is this only  the responsibility of the elders, or do we all have an opportunity to experience the joy of ministering to the truly needy? Are the church elders training the church?

Isa. 58:7
[Is it] not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? 

This is getting rather close to the flesh. "Bring the poor that are cast out to thy house?" We see addicts on the street daily. Who brings them into their home?  Is there more to this than simply bringing them into our homes? How so?

2 Thess. 3:10
For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. 

We need to give credit to the author of our lesson. He has presented a little more than just giving to the poor and needy. Not only do we need to be converted that we love our enemy, but we need to be educated so we better understand what God is saying. Does verse 10 tell us we ought not feed someone who is in dire need of food? Or, is there a principle involved that would allow us to feed the hungry at our door, but there is more than just giving the hungry food? What if we were to teach the hungry how to grow their own food? Is that possible? I wonder if we have light that says this?

As a church body there’s much that we can do, that we must do, that we have been called to do, to reach out to those in need. Sometimes it’s as basic as providing food, clothes, or shelter to someone in urgent need. Even though giving relief is necessary, something beyond giving relief is needed to help people restore dominion in their lives.

Let's put this is a Biblical manner we can better understand. We are here to lead others to Christ. Before we can expect a great harvest, we must plow the field, we must soften the heart so the Seed will take root and produce a rich harvest. As a church organization, we are to heed the counsel we have been given and learn from the pattern Christ has left us. He spend more time healing than preaching. We have been great light in the area of health. Medical missionary work is the "right arm" of the gospel. If we will study the subject we will then be prepared to minister to the physical needs in a manner that Christ did.

It is sad the lesson is not pointing us in this direction. We must move beyond what is being taught to what has been written. We must study to show ourselves approved of God. Revival and reformation will not come until enough in the church begin looking unto Jesus instead of to man.

Though we must always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in us, we must when and where we can meet their physical needs and point them to a better way of life.

Though each situation is different, and the needs are different, we have been called by God to be a light and a source of healing and hope in our communities. This is an essential part of what it means to be a witness to the world of the loving and saving God whom we serve. We must do all that we can, in the Lord’s strength, to be a beacon of light and hope to those in need. As Christians, we can’t do less.

As professing Christians, we are decoys being used to bring reproach upon Christ and His Word and His church unless we are born again of His Spirit. We misrepresent Him if we are not revealing all of the fruits of His Spirit.

As we fulfill this role of service, we are helping them learn what God is like. And, too, by ministering to their physical needs, we are paving the way for their hearts to be reached by the Holy Spirit. This is what Jesus did, and this is what we are called to do as well.

Amen! And, we can experience the new birth every day if we will go to Jesus just as we are and learn of Him. By beholding Him we will be changed into His image (character). "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Corinthians 3:18. Then we will be true witnesses of His love and grace.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »
As brother Richard has brought out, there are deep principles that need to be understood in how we are to help those in need. Jesus Himself could have continued to work miracles to feed the multitudes, but He ministered to people's physical needs to be able to heal the soul's need of forgiveness and find peace with God through an entire surrender to Him and His word. Jesus invites us to behold His loveliness every day, to experience the power of His Spirit in our life so we are partakers of His divine nature.

It is not well for us to simply feed the hungry, so as to create a dependency upon our assistance. It would be well for us to help the poor and needy to learn the ABCs of education in agriculture--that they could learn to grow their own food, and develop the principle of character known as self-reliance (which can only be developed in one who is open to learning the methods God provides).

Thankfully, the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy reveal ample light as to how we can help others in need so as to empower them to live changed lives--and it all comes down to realizing that ministering to their physical needs is a way to help reach their hearts. When Jesus spent more time healing than teaching, His every act of healing WAS A LESSON--that God is love, and that it is the glory of our God to give. We cannot divorce the medical missionary work from that of the gospel ministry--if we do, the greatest evil will result. We need a truly converted ministry, a truly converted church, and a people who will arise and build like Nehemiah and accept what God says as His biddings being true enablings. By His Spirit an entire change is possible in our lives.

When we have the Holy Spirit abiding in our hearts, our ministry to those in need cannot, will not, be without fruit--as long as we are connected to the Vine, Jesus Christ, all the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life without one missing. It impossible for the heart in which Christ abides to be destitute of love. And love as it is seen in God is self-sacrificing. May we today take to heart the power of the gospel to not only change our lives and characters, but to transform how we minister! Jesus is our Saviour and Pattern! Praise the Lord!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 07:57:43 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!   Thank you for sharing in such a profound manner. Our only hope is found in Christ. There is a way which seemeth right unto man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. We need to go to Christ not only for our power to overcome, but for our wisdom to know what to do and how to best do it. We cannot rely upon humanity in ourselves or in others. Our dependency must be upon Christ. As we see the world falling lower and lower, there is not much time left to do the work entrusted to us. Soon our way will be hedged up. Let us work while it is still day!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »
Friday July 8

Further Thought: Read Ellen G. White, “Temperance and Dietetics,” pp. 202-206; “Discipline,” pp. 287-290, in Education; “Need for Self-Mastery,” pp. 73, 74, in Counsels on Diet and Foods; “The Principles of Stewardship,” pp. 111-113; “Sharing in the Joys of the Redeemed,” pp. 348-350, in Counsels on Stewardship.

It’s so hard from our perspective today, immersed as we are in a greatly fallen world, to imagine what we have lost through the Fall. This evil world is all that we know and, were it not for the Word of God and how it reveals to us our origins and the origins of sin and death and evil, we’d simply take them for granted, as just part of life itself. Yet the story of the Fall shows us that, indeed, this is not how things were to be. Genesis said that Adam and Eve were to have dominion over the world; then, right after they had sinned, suddenly their relationship to the world changed because they changed, and the physical world itself changed as well. Suddenly the dominion they had enjoyed was lost, and the consequences became enormous. “The thorn and the thistle (Gen. 3:17-18), the aftermath of the Flood (Gen. 7:12), the desert and the wilderness, the groaning of the earth for deliverance (Rom. 8:19-22) are some of the word pictures the Bible uses to describe the effect of sin upon the world.”-Handbook of Seventh-day Adventist Theology (Hagerstown, Md.: Review and Herald® Pub. Assn.), vol. 12, p. 254. How thankful we should be for the plan of salvation, which will restore all that was lost and which offers us the promise of a future so much better than the past or the present.

Amen! We appreciate the author sharing truth, especially pointing us to Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy. We want to add a little, though. The Spirit of Prophecy is very clear on the importance of the medical missionary work to be done by the church, which includes us all, not just the hospitals of which many have departed from the counsel given. Here is just one message of thousands indicating the blessings to be given and to be received when we walk in the light of God's counsel.

The preaching of the word is a means by which the Lord has ordained that His warning message shall be given to the world. In the Scriptures the faithful teacher is represented as a shepherd of the flock of God. He is to be respected and his work appreciated. Genuine medical missionary work is bound up with the ministry, and the canvassing work is to be a part both of the medical missionary work and of the ministry. To those who are engaged in this work I would say: As you visit the people, tell them that you are a gospel worker and that you love the Lord. Do not seek a home in a hotel, but stay at a private house and become acquainted with the family. Christ was sowing the seeds of truth wherever He was, and as His followers you can witness for the Master, doing a most precious work in fireside labor. In thus coming close to the people you will often find those who are sick and discouraged. If you are pressing close to the side of Christ, wearing His yoke, you will daily learn of Him how to carry messages of peace and comfort to the sorrowing and disappointed, the sad and broken-hearted. You can point the discouraged ones to the word of God and take the sick to the Lord in prayer. As you pray, speak to Christ as you would to a trusted, much-loved friend. Maintain a sweet, free, pleasant dignity, as a child of God. This will be recognized. 

Simple Treatments

Canvassers should be able to give instruction in regard to the treatment of the sick. They should learn the simple methods of hygienic treatment. Thus they may work as medical missionaries, ministering to the souls and the bodies of the suffering. This work should now be going forward inall parts of the world. Thus multitudes might be blessed by the prayers and instruction of God's servants. CEv 18.

The quote from the Review shared in our lesson was good, but it, as often is the case, leaves out an important truth. When quoting Gen. 3:17-18 in an effort to reveal the loss of dominion over the world, the Review and our lesson ought to have included Gen. 3:16. "Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." It was not just Adam who suffered a great loss, but Eve also lost much. Why is this important to point out? Because God wants us to know, and because there is much lost to us when we trust in the institutions which have perverted the truth and have encouraged and fostered rebellion in the church. The ordination of women elders is contrary to Scripture. It reveals that the world has come into the church and many in leadership positions are as was Korah, Dathan, and Abiram. Shall the example presented in the history of the children of Israel have any weight with us? Shall those who claim to believe the truth be influenced to judge from their human feelings as did Israel? Let the Bible speak and away with the wisdom of faulty men who turn to the world for their morality. Women are not to rule over men. Even before sin, it was not so.

Discussion Questions:

Though the immediate context of these texts (Exod. 23:10-12; Deut. 11:11-12; 20:19-20) doesn’t have to do with ecology as understood today, what principles could one take from them that could help us understand our need to be good stewards of the environment? Also, how do we know if and when we have crossed the line from being a steward of the environment to being a worshiper of it?

There is an intermediate step. One does not have to worship nature in order to be following those who do. We need to be very careful when we open our mouth and tell others what they need to do in regards to being good stewards of the Earth. A good example is supporting ceasing from labor one day a week in order to benefit "mother earth". We cease from labor one day a week because God's law tells us to do so, not because we will produce less carbon dioxide. A "green sabbath" is not from God, but a plan hatched from below. It is something the pope has taken hold us in order to advance the sun day around the world. Satan is working in harmony with him to deceive if possible the very elect. That is not possible because they are looking unto Jesus for their wisdom and their power to overcome the evil one.

Think about the natural world as we know it now. Is it a friend or a foe, and how can you justify your answer?

The natural world is full of sin as a result of the fall. But, God created and works through nature. We still are blessed by the sun, rain, and soil. Seeds still produce food and material for shelter. Without the trees, where would we be. They feed upon carbon dioxide and produce oxygen to meet our needs.  A most wonderful truth is presented to us in Desire of Ages in one of the most beautiful narrations I have ever read.

Now sin has marred God's perfect work, yet that handwriting remains. Even now all created things declare the glory of His excellence. There is nothing, save the selfish heart of man, that lives unto itself. No bird that cleaves the air, no animal that moves upon the ground, but ministers to some other life. There is no leaf of the forest, or lowly blade of grass, but has its ministry. Every tree and shrub and leaf pours forth that element of life without which neither man nor animal could live; and man and animal, in turn, minister to the life of tree and shrub and leaf. The flowers breathe fragrance and unfold their beauty in blessing to the world. The sun sheds its light to gladden a thousand worlds. The ocean, itself the source of all our springs and fountains, receives the streams from every land, but takes to give. The mists ascending from its bosom fall in showers to water the earth, that it may bring forth and bud.  Pg 20. 

Discuss the question asked at the end of Sunday’s study about the meaning and purpose of human life. What answer would you give to someone who asked you that question? How should our answers differ from those who don’t believe in God or salvation?

How can one reflect a God who he does not believe exists? He cannot. But, we who live for the glory of God have as our object in life to reveal Him to others. We have purpose, a very great purpose as we understand why God has allowed sin to continue. Why does God not put an end to suffering and death? Why not put and end to Satan and sin now? Because putting an end to Satan would not put an end to sin. God did not cause Lucifer to sin. And, why did 1/3 of the angelic host sin? God has a problem beyond what we see on this Earth. It is a problem in the universe that He will resolve where man can retain free will and yet, God has promised sin will never arise again.
"He will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time." Nahum 1:9.

How can this be? How can God leave man free and guarantee he will never ever sin? Amazing! You and I are the centerpiece of His plan. When God reveals to the universe the results of sin, and the fact that the lowest of the low, that is us who live 6,000 years after sin, can live without sinning, then how hard will it be for the holy angels to live without sinning!!

We are His witnesses of the power of grace to keep from sin. Do you believe this? Many in the church do not believe this. They have been taught God is going to take to heaven those who have not developed a character that clings to Christ in order to overcome sin. And, many have taught that there will never come a time when man will not have an intercessor. They do not understand God will bring His church to a point where the character is fixed for eternity. They do not understand when Jesus walks out of the heavenly sanctuary, there will be no more forgiveness of sin, no more interceding on behalf of the sinner. Those who are holy will remain holy, for they understand their continual need of Christ in order to resist the smallest temptation.

How can we reclaim the word dominion in a way that helps restore its original meaning? That is, how was dominion at first a good thing? How can it be today as well?

Let us contemplate the one dominion we ought to understand God will restore to all who will make a full surrender of their will to the will of God. It is found in Genesis when Adam and Eve are still in the garden. They have no hope of anything, for they have eaten the forbidden fruit that promised them death. But, God made a covenant in their hearing.
"I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed."

This is the promise that we can claim if we will fulfill our part of the covenant. Christ has fulfilled His part in suffering and dying for our sins. He stands at the door of the heart drawing all unto Himself. He awaits our part. We must cease resisting His love. We must learn of Him. We must feed upon Jesus. We must "eat His flesh" and "drink His blood" if we want to have spiritual life. When we come into this world, we are need of a Savior to do any good thing. We must be born again of His Spirit. We must be reconciled to God if we want to obtain enmity towards Satan and sin. When we come into the world we are at enmity with God and are aligned with Satan and sin. But, we may be restored to dominion over self. We may regain the power to go good because it is good. We may resist sin in the power of the grace offered.

If we will spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, by beholding Him we shall be changed into his image by His Spirit (2 Cor. 3:18). It is a promise. The loveliness of Jesus will produce the fruits of His Spirit in the life of all who will behold it daily. Such a work entrusted to poor erring man!! That we might be His witnesses to a universe soon to be restored to eternal security!!