Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 8--2nd Quarter 2016--Peter and the Rock  (Read 12324 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 8 May 14-20

Peter and the Rock

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 8--2nd Quarter 2016--Peter and the Rock
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Gal. 4:4, Heb. 7:26, Matt. 16:13-20, Eph. 2:20, Matt. 16:21-27, 17:1-9.

Memory Text:“He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?” Matthew 16:15

"From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.” Matt. 16:21.

The New Testament is clear: Jesus had to die.

The Bible is clear, Jesus and our heavenly Father agreed that Jesus would make the free gift of salvation available to all who would accept it. Genesis 3:15 is the everlasting covenant which promised man a changed nature if two things happened. First Jesus would suffer and die, then we must allow Christ to take possession of our heart, the whole heart. Both things were conditions of eternal life for man. The Old testament clearly revealed the cross and Christ uplifted upon it. He was the Lamb to be slain for our sins. Why was it that Peter after being with Jesus for 3 1/2 years did not understand Jesus must die in order for him to be saved? Why did he try to stop Jesus from going to Jerusalem on that last trip?

As He faced the looming shadow of the Cross, Jesus prayed: “Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.” John 12:27. This was the divine plan, conceived within the mind of God, even “before the world began” (Titus 1:2, see also 2 Tim. 1:9).

That’s why Jesus didn’t say simply that He was going to suffer many things and be killed and raised up on the third day, but that He must face these things. Given the nature of God, the sanctity of the law, and the reality of free will, His death was the only way that humanity could be saved from the penalty of transgression.

Amen, but the suffering and death of Christ did not save anyone. It only made provision for salvation. Man was given a period of time, known as a period of probation in which to be reconciled to God so he could be transformed in nature. He must choose to surrender all to Christ and become a partaker of His divine nature. Thus, he would be fitted for a life among the saints.

This week we pick up more of the story of Jesus, though we will focus on Peter and how Peter responded to the ministry of Jesus as He marched toward a death planned from ”before time began.”

That plan, the plan of salvation, was not something that was easy for our heavenly Father to concede to when the time came for Jesus to step in between Adam and death. And, it was not easy for Jesus to fulfill His part of the plan when He fell on His face in Gethsemane and then cried out on the cross "My God, My God, why has Thou forsaken Me?" Matthew 26:46.  It is by beholding this great love that we are transformed in character. It is the sorrow of realizing we put Jesus upon the cross that brings forth a repentance not to be repented of. Let us behold our Savior suffering on the cross, enduring the penalty of the transgression of the law, that repentant, believing ones may have eternal life.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
Sunday May 15

“You Are the Christ”

Imagine what it must have been like for Peter, who had been with Jesus almost from the start. What must have gone through his mind as he witnessed one incredible event after another: the healings, the casting out of demons, the feeding of the multitudes, the amazing teachings, the controlling of nature, raising the dead, and the walking on water together? What questions (such as, again, Why did He allow John the Baptist such an ignominious end?) must have bounced around inside him, day after day, seeing things that no one in all of history had ever seen? After all, Jesus was God in human flesh and lived and ministered to humanity in the flesh (Gal. 4:4; Heb. 7:26; Isa. 9:6; Luke 2:10, 11). So, those who were around Him, who lived with Him, and who were His disciples were going to have plenty of unique experiences.

Read Matthew 16:13-17.

16:13   When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 
 16:14   And they said, Some [say that thou art] John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 
 16:15   He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 
 16:16   And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 
 16:17   And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed [it] unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 

What question did Jesus ask His disciples, and of what significance is it that Peter is the only one recorded as answering? And why is his answer so pivotal?

Peter’s declaration of Jesus as “‘the Christ, the Son of the living God’” (vs. 16) is one of the high points in all of Scripture. Peter called Him “‘the Christ,’” the Anointed One, and with this confession he was saying (correctly, as it turned out to be) that Jesus was the Messiah, the One who was to come in fulfillment of the covenant promises made to Abraham and then Israel (see Gal. 3:16).

More important, and a truth Peter had not learned, because the leaders in the church had perverted the gospel, Jesus was the Savior of mankind. Peter and his brethren did not know Jesus as their Savior. They did not know He had to suffer and die for them to live.

Also, Peter proclaimed Jesus as the Christ in the region of Caesarea Philippi. This was Gentile country. In the days prior, Peter had watched Jesus care not only for the Jews but for the Gentiles, as well. With the aid of the Holy Spirit, Peter recognized that Jesus was something much more than a Jewish prophet, as others had suggested. His ministry extended much further than that of John the Baptist, Elijah, or Jeremiah. Indeed, it was to encompass all humanity; hence, Jesus calls Himself “the Son of Man,” showing His personal identification with all human beings. As the Bible later shows, Peter still had so much to learn about Jesus and the fullness and universality of what He had come to do.

What are the things that Jesus has done in your life that you could testify to as a witness to others? Why is it good always to keep these things before you and to share them?

What is the greatest of all miracles that Jesus can do? Can He do this without your help? How do we witness this great miracle to those we come in contact with? Is there a difference between a true Christian and those who are not converted? What is that difference?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »
Monday May 16

“On This Rock”

Right after Peter’s bold confession of faith in Jesus as “‘the Christ, the Son of the living God,’” Jesus says something in answer to Peter.

Read Matthew 16:17-20.

16:17   And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed [it] unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 
 16:18   And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 
 16:19   And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 
 16:20   Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

What did Jesus say to Peter, and how are we to understand what He meant?

The phrase “on this rock” has been controversial within the Christian church. Catholics interpret the “rock” to mean Peter himself, arguing that Peter was the first pope. Protestants, however, and with good reason, reject that interpretation.

The biblical weight of evidence is clearly in favor of the idea that the Rock is Christ Himself and not Peter.

First of all, in a few places Peter refers to Jesus, and not to himself, with rock imagery (see Acts 4:8-12, 1 Pet. 2:4-8).

Second, all through the Bible the image of God and of Christ as a rock is found; in contrast, humans are seen as weak and untrustworthy. “For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust” (Ps. 103:14, NKJV). “Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help” (Ps. 146:3, NKJV). As John wrote, too, about Jesus: “and [He] had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man” (John 2:25, NKJV). And He knew, too, what was in Peter, as well (Matt. 26:34).

In contrast, what do these texts tell us about who the Rock really is and upon whom the church is built? (1 Cor. 10:4; Matt. 7:24, 25; Eph. 2:20).

“How feeble the church appeared when Christ spoke these words! There was only a handful of believers, against whom all the power of demons and evil men would be directed; yet the followers of Christ were not to fear. Built upon the Rock of their strength, they could not be overthrown.”—Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 413.

What has been your own experience in regard to the fallibility and weakness of human beings? How can you use these experiences to help you lean only on the Rock?

We all prior to our conversion, learn of our own sinfulness, weakness, and need of a Savior. Then, we are often disappointed because we expect more out of our fellow Christians than we ought. And, worse, many in the church are not converted. Have we learned to turn to Christ instead of fallible man? Have we yet learned that we cannot walk on water without a full surrender to Jesus? Do we see our continual need of Christ? Or do we think we can resist sin separated from Christ?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
Tuesday May 17

Peter as Satan

Read Matthew 16:21-23.

16:21   From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. 
 16:22   Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. 
 16:23   But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Why is Jesus suddenly so tough on Peter?

Peter’s problem wasn’t that he was trying to protect Jesus. He was trying to steer Jesus. He was no longer following Jesus; he was telling Jesus to follow him.

Peter loved Jesus, but did not understand the gospel. He did not know Jesus came to die. While it is true, he was certainly foolish for reproving the Son of God, his motive was to protect Jesus. Satan used Peter in an attempt to discourage Jesus. Even with a right motive, we need to be careful we are not used of Satan to influence others in the wrong direction.

Jesus said, “‘Get thee behind Me, Satan!’” (vs. 23) because, like Satan himself in the wilderness, Peter had become a threat to the mission of Christ.

No, it was not Peter who thought up these words. Peter had no idea of the battle which was taking place.

And through Peter, Satan was again pressing the temptation upon Jesus. But the Saviour heeded it not; His thought was for His disciple. Satan had interposed between Peter and his Master, that the heart of the disciple might not be touched at the vision of Christ's humiliation for him. The words of Christ were spoken, not to Peter, but to the one who was trying to separate him from his Redeemer. "Get thee behind Me, Satan." No longer interpose between Me and My erring servant. Let Me come face to face with Peter, that I may reveal to him the mystery of My love.  Desire of Ages, pg 416. 

Mark 8:33 notes that during this exchange, Jesus turned and looked at His disciples. He had come to save them. He was not going to be tempted otherwise, and certainly not by one of His own disciples, no matter how well-meaning that disciple thought he was.

As much as Simon Peter had grown in his walk, he was still trying to control things, including Jesus Himself. In this sense, Peter wasn’t all that different from another disciple, Judas, who tried to manage Jesus and to execute his own plans for what he thought a Messiah ought to be like. But, unlike Judas, Peter was deeply repentant and willing to be disciplined and forgiven.

Read Matthew 16:24-27.

16:24   Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 
 16:25   For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. 
 16:26   For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? 
 16:27   For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

The disciples having been misinstructed about the mission of the Messiah, did not understand the relationship between death and salvation. They did not know the Lamb had to die. They  did not understand not only Jesus had to die, but they would have to be willing to die for others in order to gain eternal life. They, like Nicodemus, thought they did not have to be transformed in character.

What does Jesus mean when He says, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.” (vs. 25)?

We live in a culture that tells us to follow our dreams, to sacrifice everything for what we want. But Jesus tells us to do the opposite; He invites us to give up our dreams and entrust them to Him. Peter and the disciples were gradually learning what true faith is. True faith isn’t supposed to be the exciting experience of pursuing what you most want. True faith is the painful experience of releasing what you most want. When you let go of your dreams, you are “losing your life.” And at the same time, you are finding it.

When we are converted, what do we want most?  We do not change what we want most until we are converted.

What are some things that you had to lose in order to follow Jesus? Maybe at the time they seemed so important, but looking back, how do they appear now?

What do we give up when we are converted? A sin polluted heart. What do we get in exchange? A cleansed heart that is filled with the Spirit of Christ. Ask those who are truly converted what was "painful" for them to give up after they were converted.

colporteur

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
I think they could have done a lot better with Matthew 16:18. It is not so complicated. I do not know Greek but I can read a dictionary.

Peter = Petros ( masculine)                             rock= petra (feminine)
            piece of rock                                       mass, slab or boulder

If Jesus meant to say that the church was built on Peter He would have said that the church was built on petros= Peter. In other words, it would read in Greek something like, "... though art "Petros" and upon this "petros" I will build my church...".
Jesus was purposely making a distinction between  a "piece of stone" and "a mass of stone." While in a general sense both Greek words mean a rock both words are very different in description. That distinction cannot be responsibly ignored.

One Catholic man said that "petra" is a mistranslation because Jesus would not have used a feminine word to describe a man/ Himself. However, this rule is not applicable when inanimate objects are used as a symbol of a person. Otherwise there would necessarily have to be a masculine word  for mass of rock or boulder and there is none. "Petra" is the appropriate word.

The Catholic man also said that Peter is called "Cephas" in the New Testament and Cephas means " The Rock." It is indeed capitalized in the Strong's Concordance. I'm not sure why the capitalization. Perhaps it is because Cephas is specifically used as a name while "petra" is a symbol. Or perhaps the translators were not clear on this. It is interesting that under the Greek definition of "Cephas" there is reference  to the Hebrew word " Keph" which means "hollow rock"  " rock". Even here we see definition that points to a lesser mass than "petra."

I Corinthians 10:4 " And did all drink; for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them and that Rock was Christ."   Guess which Greek word is used to describe the "Rock" in this verse ?   You guessed it, " petra"  (feminine) ( mass of )    All of the times that "rock" is used in the NT pointing to Christ it is "petra" that is used. The word for Peter is always " petros" = a piece of as opposed to a mass of.
Why is this so important to nail down ? Because the entire existence of the Roman Catholic church as the universal church of God and so called apostolic procession hinges on this one verse. This verse rightly understood washes away Catholicism like a sand castle at high tide.

A sound knowledge of this could be very helpful when Catholics use such false logic in an attempt legitimize the beast before us in the courts.

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
Thank You it will get researched and quoted or at least paraphrased. 
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 05:34:09 PM »
CP you got me started  ;D

Some quoting CP with exegesis going on.

Short exposition on Matthew ch 16 verse 18 for Sabbath School.

Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter<4074>, and upon this rock <4073>I will build my church; and the gates of hell <86>shall not prevail <2729> (5692)against it.

4074. Pε/τρος Petros pet’-ros; apparently a primary word; a (piece of) rock (larger than 3037); as a name, Petrus, an apostle: —  Peter, rock. Compare 2786

3037. λι/θος lithos lee’-thos; apparently a primary word; a stone (literally or figuratively): —  (mill-, stumbling-)stone.

2786. Kηφα=ς Kephas kay-fas’; of Aramaic origin [compare 03710]; the Rock; Cephas (i.e. Kepha), a surname of Peter: —  Cephas.
03710 כף keph kafe  from 03721, Greek 2786 κηφας; n m; {See TWOT on 1017}  AV-rock 2; 2    1) rock, hollow of a rock

4073. πε/τρα petra pet’-ra; feminine of the same as 4074; a (mass of) rock (literally or figuratively): —  rock.

86. α(/|δης hades hah’-dace; from 1 (as negative particle) and 1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls: —  grave, hell.

2729. κατισχυ/ω katischuo kat-is-khoo’-o; from 2596 and 2480; to overpower: —  prevail (against).

Revelation 1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Jesus is alive, Peter is still dead awaiting the resurrection of salvation at the Last Day. Who do you think from evidence is The Rock ? 

Quoting CP from TRO. 
 “I think they could have done a lot better with Matthew 16:18. It is not so complicated. I do not know Greek but I can read a dictionary.    Peter = Petros ( masculine)          rock= petra (feminine)             piece of rock              mass, slab or boulder.
If Jesus meant to say that the church was built on Peter He would have said that the church was built on petros= Peter. In other words, it would read in Greek something like, "... though art "Petros" and upon this "petros" I will build my church...".
Jesus was purposely making a distinction between  a "piece of stone" and "a mass of stone." While in a general sense both Greek words mean a rock both words are very different in description. That distinction cannot be responsibly ignored. 
   One Catholic man said that "petra" is a mistranslation because Jesus would not have used a feminine word to describe a man/ Himself. However, this rule is not applicable when inanimate objects are used as a symbol of a person. Otherwise there would necessarily have to be a masculine word  for mass of rock or boulder and there is none. "Petra" is the appropriate word. 
   The Catholic man also said that Peter is called "Cephas" in the New Testament and Cephas means " The Rock." It is indeed capitalized in the Strong's Concordance. I'm not sure why the capitalization. Perhaps it is because Cephas is specifically used as a name while "petra" is a symbol. Or perhaps the translators were not clear on this. It is interesting that under the Greek definition of "Cephas" there is reference  to the Hebrew word " Keph" which means "hollow rock"  " rock". Even here we see definition that points to a lesser mass than "petra." 

I Corinthians 10:4 " And did all drink; for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them and that Rock was Christ."   Guess which Greek word is used to describe the "Rock" in this verse ?   You guessed it, " petra"  (feminine) ( mass of )    All of the times that "rock" is used in the NT pointing to Christ it is "petra" that is used. The word for Peter is always " petros" = a piece of as opposed to a mass of.
   Why is this so important to nail down ? Because the entire existence of the Roman Catholic church as the universal church of God and so called apostolic procession hinges on this one verse. This verse rightly understood washes away Catholicism like a sand castle at high tide. 

A sound knowledge of this could be very helpful when Catholics use such false logic in an attempt legitimize the beast before us in the courts.

Lets try out the Bible's use of Petros<4074> & Petra <4073>

Petra <4073>
Matthew 7:24 – Christ or Peter ?
Matthew 7:25 – Christ or Peter ?
Luke 6:48– Christ or Peter ?
Romans 9:33– Christ or Peter ?
1 Corinthians 10:4– Christ or Peter ?
1 Peter 2:8– Christ or Peter ?

If all the uses of N.T. Uses Petra <4073> that refer to a person, and the context always is referring to Christ , why is it decided that Petra <4073> in Matthew 16:18  suddenly refers to Peter, when the grave and sin conquered Peter and he is still in the grave sleeping in Jesus ?

Matthew 16:18 – Christ or Peter ?

Petros <4074>
174 N.T. Verses when referenced to a person – ALL name Peter, none name or refer to Jesus.

Matthew 16:16  And Simon Peter <4074> answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter <4074>, and upon this <5026>rock<4073> I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

this <5026> rock <4073>

this <5026>  5026. ταυ/τη| taute tow’-tay; and ταυτην tauten tow’-tane; and ταυτης tautes tow’-tace; dative case, accusative case and genitive case respectively of the feminine singular of 3778; (towards or of) this: —  her, + hereof, it, that, + thereby, the (same), this (same).

The same, this same – what ?   The same Petra<4073> - This same Petra<4073>, that you just confessed to be God's Son in the highest sense, whom you Peter <Petros 4074> are notHe Petra <4073>will build His Church upon Himself, not your church, His Church, on Himself, not you.   

Looking at what Peter is doing or is happening to Peter in these verses.
Matthew 16:22
Matthew 14:28
Matthew 17:24
Matthew 19:27
Matthew 26:33
Matthew 26:75
Luke 5:8
John 13:8
John 13:37
John 18:10
Galatians 2:11
2 Peter 1:1

Why is that frank declaration from Christ 4073 to Peter 4074 putting Peter 4074 in his place as follower, by Christ 4073 as Lord, so needful to Peter 4074 to rescue him?

(conclusion – Peter tried to rule things how many times, he could have been worse than Judas, not until  Peter let Jesus rule him, it made Peter safe to follow. )
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 05:50:55 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Why was it that Peter after being with Jesus for 3 1/2 years did not understand Jesus must die in order for him to be saved? Why did he try to stop Jesus from going to Jerusalem on that last trip?

Peter was influenced by the religious teachers of his time--and it blinded him to the very plain statements of Christ. In fact, Richard, Peter was so influenced by the false teachings of what the Messiah would be at his time (that Christ would rule as a conquering king in Jerusalem, and not die as a suffering Sacrifice) that the words of Christ to Him seemed like heresy. This is a clear example of the power of false teaching. Yet we can rejoice that Jesus knew that Peter and the other disciples would come to a full knowledge of the truth as He, the Truth incarnate, consistently spoke and taught the truth and lived it. His labors were not in vain. So it may be for us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

colporteur

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 06:00:53 PM »
Ed;

I think the quarterly people might consider your work over kill.  ;D 

Sean;

It is amazing the amount of blindness culture can cause. Even Jesus Himself could not cut through that and reach His disciples. I wonder what blindness culture is causing God's people today ?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »

It is amazing the amount of blindness culture can cause. Even Jesus Himself could not cut through that and reach His disciples. I wonder what blindness culture is causing God's people today ?

I know one key area that culture is blinding to God's people is the idea that a person can be saved while they sin--largely because there is such a proliferation of the symbolism of the cross without a clear realization of the necessity of an abiding, surrendered experience with Christ moment-by-moment. We need Jesus constantly! And when He is abiding in our hearts, when we are living by faith upon Him, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives--not one will be missing. I am most deeply concerned that cultural Christianity or "cultural Adventism" has led to a confusion over the simplicity of the gospel. But praise God Jesus is patiently calling us to repentance, revival, and reformation.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

colporteur

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
Very true. I think too that the idea that God truly has a people called out and set apart from the world is viewed as arrogance. I think that dove tails into what you have said.

Along that line a bit, recently an elderly pastor made comment that we are not a superior church. Granted of ourselves we are nothing and we are no more worthy of salvation than anyone else. However, God does have a superior movement. "... God has a distinct people, a church on earth, second to none, but superior to all in their facilities to teach the truth,, to vindicate the law of God..." TM 58-59

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 06:36:50 AM »

Wednesday May 18.

Encouragement From Heaven

Read Matthew 17:1-9.

17:1   And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 
 17:2   And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 
 17:3   And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. 
 17:4   Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 
 17:5   While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 
 17:6   And when the disciples heard [it], they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. 
 17:7   And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. 
 17:8   And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only. 
 17:9   And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead. 

What happened here, and why was it so important for both Jesus Himself and for the disciples?

Jesus “had dwelt amid the love and fellowship of heaven; but in the world that He had created, He was in solitude. Now heaven had sent its messengers to Jesus; not angels, but men who had endured suffering and sorrow, and who could sympathize with the Saviour in the trial of His earthly life. Moses and Elijah had been colaborers with Christ. They had shared His longing for the salvation of men … These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview.”—Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, pp. 422, 425.

How fascinating that Jesus, the Son of God, in His humanity had the need of comfort and encouragement from these men, who themselves knew their own share of suffering and discouragement. Luke records that they spoke to Him about “His decease which He should accomplish at Jerusalem.” (Luke 9:31). Notice the word accomplish, which can also be translated as “fulfill,” more evidence that Jesus’ death was necessary for the salvation of humanity. With so much at stake, it’s no wonder that heaven saw the need and sent this encouragement.

I find it a very sad that the Son of God was put into a situation where He would need encouragement from heaven. Let's take a closer look at why it was necessary. The first thought that came to mind was the fact that Jesus was so very alone in a very wicked world. From His birth, He was made the object of Satan's hatred. He tried to kill Him just after His birth. The one chosen to prepare the way for Him, did not even understand Jesus was the Lamb that had to die. Those whom He chose as His closest disciples, even after 3 1/2 years did not understand in order for them to be saved, Jesus had do die. "I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me." Isaiah 63:3.

One of the saddest truths in the history of the universe is this:
    With the issues of the conflict before Him, Christ's soul was filled with dread of separation from God. Satan told Him that if He became the surety for a sinful world, the separation would be eternal. He would be identified with Satan's kingdom, and would nevermore be one with God. 
     And what was to be gained by this sacrifice? How hopeless appeared the guilt and ingratitude of men! In its hardest features Satan pressed the situation upon the Redeemer: The people who claim to be above all others in temporal and spiritual advantages have rejected You. They are seeking to destroy You, the foundation, the center and seal of the promises made to them as a peculiar people. One of Your own disciples, who has listened to Your instruction, and has been among the foremost in church activities, will betray You. One of Your most zealous followers will deny You. All will forsake You. Christ's whole being abhorred the thought. That those whom He had undertaken to save, those whom He loved so much, should unite in the plots of Satan, this pierced His soul. The conflict was terrible. Its measure was the guilt of His nation, of His accusers and betrayer, the guilt of a world lying in wickedness. The sins of men weighed heavily upon Christ, and the sense of God's wrath against sin was crushing out His life. 
     Behold Him contemplating the price to be paid for the human soul. In His agony He clings to the cold ground, as if to prevent Himself from being drawn farther from God. The chilling dew of night falls upon His prostrate form, but He heeds it not. From His pale lips comes the bitter cry, "O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me." Yet even now He adds, "Nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt."   
     The human heart longs for sympathy in suffering. This longing Christ felt to the very depths of His being. In the supreme agony of His soul He came to His disciples with a yearning desire to hear some words of comfort from those whom He had so often blessed and comforted, and shielded in sorrow and distress. The One who had always had words of sympathy for them was now suffering superhuman agony, and He longed to know that they were praying for Him and for themselves. How dark seemed the malignity of sin! Terrible was the temptation to let the human race bear the consequences of its own guilt, while He stood innocent before God. If He could only know that His disciples understood and appreciated this, He would be strengthened.   
     Rising with painful effort, He staggered to the place where He had left His companions. But He "findeth them asleep." Had He found them praying, He would have been relieved. Had they been seeking refuge in God, that satanic agencies might not prevail over them, He would have been comforted by their steadfast faith. But they had not heeded the repeated warning, "Watch and pray." At first they had been much troubled to see their Master, usually so calm and dignified, wrestling with a sorrow that was beyond comprehension. They had prayed as they heard the strong cries of the sufferer. They did not intend to forsake their Lord, but they seemed paralyzed by a stupor which they might have shaken off if they had continued pleading with God. They did not realize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation.
     Just before He bent His footsteps to the garden, Jesus had said to the disciples, "All ye shall be offended because of Me this night." They had given Him the strongest assurance that they would go with Him to prison and to death. And poor, self-sufficient Peter had added, "Although all shall be offended, yet will not I." Mark 14:27, 29. But the disciples trusted to themselves. They did not look to the mighty Helper as Christ had counseled them to do. Thus when the Saviour was most in need of their sympathy and prayers, they were found asleep. Even Peter was sleeping. 
     And John, the loving disciple who had leaned upon the breast of Jesus, was asleep. Surely, the love of John for his Master should have kept him awake. His earnest prayers should have mingled with those of his loved Saviour in the time of His supreme sorrow. The Redeemer had spent entire nights praying for His disciples, that their faith might not fail. Should Jesus now put to James and John the question He had once asked them, "Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" they would not have ventured to answer, "We are able." Matthew 20:22. 
     The disciples awakened at the voice of Jesus, but they hardly knew Him, His face was so changed by anguish. Addressing Peter, Jesus said, "Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour? Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak." The weakness of His disciples awakened the sympathy of Jesus. He feared that they would not be able to endure the test which would come upon them in His betrayal and death. He did not reprove them, but said, "Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation." Even in His great agony, He was seeking to excuse their weakness. "The spirit truly is ready," He said, "but the flesh is weak."
     Again the Son of God was seized with superhuman agony, and fainting and exhausted, He staggered back to the place of His former struggle. His suffering was even greater than before. As the agony of soul came upon Him, "His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." The cypress and palm trees were the silent witnesses of His anguish. From their leafy branches dropped heavy dew upon His stricken form, as if nature wept over its Author wrestling alone with the powers of darkness.  Desire of Ages, pg 689. 

Yes, it is more than fascinating that Jesus had the need of comfort and encouragement. It ought to cause sinners and saints to fall our faces as we contemplate what our sins did to Jesus.

Also, despite all that they had seen and heard already, Peter, James, and John were going to get even more reasons to believe. The voice coming out of the cloud certainly had to be encouraging, as well, once they got over their initial fear. How revealing, too, that Matthew says that Jesus “came and touched them and said, Arise, be not afraid” (Matt. 17:7). Even amid all that He was about to face, Jesus comforts and encourages His disciples.

And as we read in the Desire of Ages quote, even in the midst of His great suffering, He attempted to encourage them. What a Savior!!

No matter who we are or how strong our faith and commitment is, we can all at times use encouragement. This also means that someone you know might be in need of it, as well. Whom do you know that you could give some encouragement to right now?

Amen. We need to understand that we do not know what is going on in the life of many we come in contact with every day. All who love God supremely are targets of Satan's darts as we near the end. They especially are being attacked. But, even unrepentant sinners are in misery having no way to deal with their guilt. Let us be reflections of Christ in our dealing with those for whom Christ died.

And, it is the great sorrow over what our sins have done and do to Christ that brings us to a repentance not to be repented of. It would be good for each of us to spend a thoughtful hour each day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes. We have a daily reading from the book Desire of Ages if you would like to join with us. "Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of." 2 Cor. 7:10.

Once we come to this repentance, then Jesus lifts us up above the trials and suffering in this world. It is truly comfort from heaven when we surrender our evil hearts to our Savior. Then we have peace that passes all understanding. This we can have today. It is His great desire. Jesus is drawing all to Himself and we shall be converted if we do not resist His love.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 09:40:09 AM »
Sunday May 15

“You Are the Christ”

What question did Jesus ask His disciples, and of what significance is it that Peter is the only one recorded as answering? And why is his answer so pivotal?

What are the things that Jesus has done in your life that you could testify to as a witness to others? Why is it good always to keep these things before you and to share them?

What is the greatest of all miracles that Jesus can do? Can He do this without your help? How do we witness this great miracle to those we come in contact with? Is there a difference between a true Christian and those who are not converted? What is that difference?

I want to interact here both with the lesson, and with some of the questions Richard posed. The lesson asks about who Peter confessed Jesus to be--Peter confessed Jesus as the Messiah, and that was not something that he personally came up with--it was revealed to Him by the Father in heaven. However, just because Peter could correctly speak these words of inspiration does not mean that he fully comprehended their import--and how as the Messiah, it would mean Jesus had to die an ignominious death on the cross, rather than be exalted to rule in Jerusalem over the Romans.

Towards the end of Sunday's lesson, the question is asked about what Jesus has done in my own life--well, for one, Jesus gave me a faith experience with him from my childhood, and He helped me to trust Him even through the loss of my dad when I was 12 and my mom when I was 15. Jesus was there when I went through a serious time of depression and He has fully healed my mind. But more than this, Jesus has given me a new heart, and burning desire to share the gospel with others, and He has enabled me to be a witness--something that apart from Him and His grace is not possible. It is so important to keep these truths and blessings fresh in my mind, because they help me to know and trust that God has more in store for me and that He wants to do more to bless others through the testimony of what He's done in my life. God is not partial--so His healing and transformation in my life is but an assurance of what He can do in others' lives! Hallelujah!

Richard, towards the end of the lesson you asked about what is the greatest of all miracles--well, quite simply, it is the miracle of Christ taking a heart that is sinful and unholy, that is in rebellion against Him, and making that heart new through His Spirit so that the person who was an enemy becomes an adopted child of God! I praise God He has done this in my life! We witness this great miracle by allowing God to work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure--by bearing much fruit to His glory--because the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives that are in a living-faith connection with Christ--not one of the fruits will be missing (see Galatians 5:22-23). I praise God that He can give us spiritual discernment. The difference between a true Christian and one who is not converted is that the true Christian has Christ abiding in His heart--he or she realizes their moment-by-moment dependence upon Jesus, and that they need Him at every step! But one who does not see their need, who feels "righteous" of their own accord, is in a lost condition even if they do not feel lost (and this is the very crisis of the Laodicean church, feeling no need, how can Christ save them? See Revelation 3:14-21). I am thankful that from this church experience, Jesus is calling to the hearts of those who will see their need, and let Him give them a truly converted experience through the working of the Holy Spirit. The difference is simple--Jesus! We either have Him or we do not!

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life" (1 John 5:11-12).

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:41:56 PM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  Thank you for sharing. Yes, conversion is the greatest of all miracles. It is such a great miracle that God cannot do it by Himself. It requires His power and man's effort. We must learn of Him. We must learn to trust and love Him. It is sad that some understand and have experienced this great transformation of character, but many do not believe it happens at conversion. Those who have overcome great problems know how great the transformation is, but those who are "rich and increased with goods" do not understand the power of God's love.

I love the Bible verse you closed with, Pastor. It is the bottom line of what it means to be a Christian. For some, it must be clarified what "hath the Son" means.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 06:47:04 AM »
Thursday May 19

Jesus and the Temple Tax

Read Matthew 17:24-27.

17:24   And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute [money] came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? 
 17:25   He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? 
 17:26   Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. 
 17:27   Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

What is going on here, and what does this also tell us about Jesus?

He is all wise and all powerful!

Though all Jews were required to pay the temple tax, priests, Levites, and rabbis were exempt. So, this question about whether Jesus paid the temple tax was also a challenge to His ministry.

Ellen G. White writes that Peter missed an opportunity to testify on this occasion to the absolute authority of Christ. “By his answer to the collector, that Jesus would pay the tribute, he had virtually sanctioned the false conception of Him to which the priests and rulers were trying to give currency … If priests and Levites were exempt because of their connection with the temple, how much more He to whom the temple was His Father’s house.”—The Desire of Ages, pp. 433, 434.

We can learn much from Jesus’ gracious response to Peter. Rather than humiliate him, Jesus gently explains his error. Moreover, Jesus adapts to the course Peter had taken in a most creative way. Rather than simply paying the tax—thereby acknowledging His obligation to it—Jesus gets the tax elsewhere: from the mouth of a fish.

This miracle is unusual; it’s the only time Jesus performs a miracle seemingly for His own benefit. But that wasn’t the miracle’s purpose. Instead, the miracle was a demonstration to everyone of Jesus’ authority not only over the temple but over all of creation. From a human standpoint, how can we even begin to understand how Jesus could have performed this miracle? Of all the things that Peter had seen, can you imagine what must have gone on in his mind when he throws out his line, catches his first fish, and finds the exact amount owed for the temple tax? (See Isa. 40:13-17.)

Amen! This revealed the glory of God.

Though there was no necessity for Jesus and His disciples to pay the temple tax, Jesus had them do it anyway, in order to avoid unnecessary controversy. What are ways we can learn to de-escalate situations, especially on things that are not absolute, in order to avoid unnecessary conflict?

In avoiding unnecessary controversy, we are not to sacrifice one principle of truth. In the example before us, we see the truth was revealed while the controversy was avoided. How can we learn to do so? The answer is always the same. We need Jesus to be in our hearts. As we study the life of Christ, He will teach us the principles we are to live by. By His example we have a pattern to follow. The question is, are we fully surrendered to Him that we might have Spiritual discernment of those things He is trying to teach us? Are we spending time daily in studying the perfect Pattern? If so, then not only will we learn the ways of God, but we shall be transformed in character so we have power to do that which is humanly impossible without Christ. It is a promise that by beholding Him, we shall be changed into His image (character...2 Cor. 3:18).

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »
Monday May 16

What has been your own experience in regard to the fallibility and weakness of human beings? How can you use these experiences to help you lean only on the Rock?

We all prior to our conversion, learn of our own sinfulness, weakness, and need of a Savior. Then, we are often disappointed because we expect more out of our fellow Christians than we ought. And, worse, many in the church are not converted. Have we learned to turn to Christ instead of fallible man? Have we yet learned that we cannot walk on water without a full surrender to Jesus? Do we see our continual need of Christ? Or do we think we can resist sin separated from Christ?

As I am just now doing my Sabbath School lesson this evening, I appreciate being able to take up the questions from the quarterly as well as those you posed, Richard.

As far as my own experience goes, I am reminded of the day in 2007 (March 3) when I became a Seventh-day Adventist by profession of faith in the Pacific Union College Church in Angwin, California--and I remember a good family friend giving me a Bible and encouraging me to look to Jesus, and not to other people, because she said that people will inevitably let me down. But then I remembered how she encouraged me to keep my eyes on Jesus, because He will never fail me. What good counsel!

How true it has proved! And I have found that the more I keep my eyes on Jesus, the more time I spend beholding His loveliness, the more stable my Christian experience becomes--not because of my own power, but His power made perfect in my weakness! This is what Paul even found in 2 Corinthians 12:9: "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

In sensing the weakness of my own self and of other human beings, it becomes all the greater encouragement to look to a source of strength that is unfailing. If you knew that a source of water had just a little mercury in it, would you go and get your drinking water there? No way! Well it is a lot like that in spiritual things--we often rely upon the words of human beings to bolster our spiritual lives--when there might be a taint of error...how much better to go straight to the Fountain Unfailing--Jesus Christ!

I just love how even the times I have fallen have become beacons of warning to see more fully my need of Jesus constantly. There is no safety in self--we are sinful, weak and vacillating by nature, but Christ came and lived a perfect life in our flesh and offers His atoning death and perfect life in our place--so that by surrendering fully to Him, we may have Him live out His life within us by the indwelling presence of His Spirit! And when He does this miracle above all miracles, He gives us a new heart (Ezekiel 36:26), and He fills us with all the fruits of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23), so that not one is missing (see Desire of Ages, page 676, paragraph 4)! What a joy!

Richard, as I reflect upon the questions you posed, I reflect upon how in my own life, I have indeed found that the Seventh-day Adventist Church is in a Laodicean condition (see Revelation 3:14-21)--there are many who do not see their continual need of Jesus, and as a result, Christ is on the outside of the heart, knocking for entrance, calling in infinite love that His people come to Him in true repentance. I am thankful that it is possible by beholding His grace and loveliness to respond to His message, and to be spiritually resurrected, as it were, out of the Laodicean condition. But the very next thing that happens when I taste and see how good Jesus is (Psalm 37:4) is that I hunger and yearn for those in the church, outside the church, and in my sphere of influence to come to experience Jesus too! I cannot hold my peace.

Unless we see that our need for Jesus is constant, we are liable to fall into the complacency of feeling saved in a lost condition. The moment we commit a known sin, we silence the voice of the Holy Spirit in our hearts, grieving Him (Ephesians 4:30). It hurts God's heart when we sin (Isaiah 63:9); it separates us from Him (Isaiah 59:2). And yet Jesus became sin for us so that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21). Wonder and behold such love!

Why do we look to humanity? Maybe because it is what we have been taught to do. In Jesus' ministry, He was laboring for all to come to Him--but especially for His disciples. He knew that the teachings of the rabbis had influenced their perception of Him as the Messiah, and He longed to be able to share more with them. As we have before us the story of their experience, and the disappointments and misunderstandings through which they passed, may we also learn to place no confidence in the flesh, to cry daily to Christ to keep us from falling (Jude 24-25), and to believe that He is able to provide a way for us when we are tempted to abide in Him without sinning (1 Corinthians 10:13). I praise the Lord that He comforts us with the reality that there is never a time in which we must sin, as long as we remain connected with the living power of Jesus, trusting His nail-pierced hand. Look and live! If you have the Son, you have life--but apart from Him, you are lost. Abide!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! 

Continuing the thoughts on Monday's lesson about Peter being the Rock: As a young man, while in college, I was thinking one day about Christ. I had been reared in an Episcopal church where I was taught very little Bible. I understood the ten commandments (except which day was the Sabbath) and the golden rule. As I contemplated living an unselfish life, I thought to myself, I am not a Rock unto myself. I am not like Jesus, who was a Rock unto Himself. Therefore, I cannot give my goods to the poor. If I do, who will feed me, clothe me, and care for me?

Thus, the truth that we are not the Rock, we cannot be. Neither was Peter the Rock. In and of ourselves we cannot be as was Christ.

But, my education in the things of God was very poor. I did not understand that Jesus when He walked on this earth God in humanity, was depending upon, not Himself, but upon His Father. And, more importantly, we too, while we are not "rocks unto ourselves", we can depend upon Jesus to provide for all of our needs when we give our hearts fully to Him. He has promised to take care of us.

How very sad that I when at an early point in my life did not have someone who knew the truth, explain the gospel to me. We are not to explain the truth to everyone we come in contact with, but there are many waiting, searching, longing to know the truth. As we pray for opportunities to share His love, God will lead us to those who are seeking truth. The harvest field is white and the workers are few. This is about to change. The message we have just read from a Seventh-day Adventist pastor is finding its way into God's church. It will spread like wildfire.

If it is your desire to help others who are seeking truth, we invite you to join with us in our daily reading of Desire of Ages. It is the "bread of life" we have been given that we might be reconciled to our God.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »

Wednesday May 18.

Encouragement From Heaven

Yes, it is more than fascinating that Jesus had the need of comfort and encouragement. It ought to cause sinners and saints to fall [on] our faces as we contemplate what our sins did to Jesus.[/color]
[/b]
Also, despite all that they had seen and heard already, Peter, James, and John were going to get even more reasons to believe. The voice coming out of the cloud certainly had to be encouraging, as well, once they got over their initial fear. How revealing, too, that Matthew says that Jesus “came and touched them and said, Arise, be not afraid” (Matt. 17:7). Even amid all that He was about to face, Jesus comforts and encourages His disciples.

And as we read in the Desire of Ages quote, even in the midst of His great suffering, He attempted to encourage them. What a Savior!!

No matter who we are or how strong our faith and commitment is, we can all at times use encouragement. This also means that someone you know might be in need of it, as well. Whom do you know that you could give some encouragement to right now?

Amen. We need to understand that we do not know what is going on in the life of many we come in contact with every day. All who love God supremely are targets of Satan's darts as we near the end. They especially are being attacked. But, even unrepentant sinners are in misery having no way to deal with their guilt. Let us be reflections of Christ in our dealing with those for whom Christ died.

And, it is the great sorrow over what our sins have done and do to Christ that brings us to a repentance not to be repented of. It would be good for each of us to spend a thoughtful hour each day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes. We have a daily reading from the book Desire of Ages if you would like to join with us. "Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of." 2 Cor. 7:10.

Once we come to this repentance, then Jesus lifts us up above the trials and suffering in this world. It is truly comfort from heaven when we surrender our evil hearts to our Savior. Then we have peace that passes all understanding. This we can have today. It is His great desire. Jesus is drawing all to Himself and we shall be converted if we do not resist His love.

Amen! I so appreciate how this lesson and the quotes that you brought out, Richard, from the Desire of Ages, as well as the comments and reflections you have made, help to point us to our only safety--to Jesus Christ, the one who under extreme sorrow and temptation endured by faith.

As the quarterly lesson asked about whom I could encourage, I actually thought of you (Richard). Often it is the people that seem to be "spiritual" or "strong" that are bearing sorrows and struggles that only heaven knows about. Jesus was obviously "strong" in God by faith--but we need to remember that He overcame in our flesh--He did not depend upon His divine power to resist the inroads of temptation or discouragement. The same agencies that are available to us to overcome were those by which Christ overcame! What condescension! Hallelujah!!!

Maybe some of us need to call our pastor or our elders--and pray for and with them, and express to them how much we appreciate that they are allowing God to use them. Maybe we need to call a father or mother, an aunt or family friend who has prayed for us for many years--and encourage them with thankfulness that we are seeing Jesus use them. Always point the glory to God, but allow others to know that they are a blessing from God in your life. We are much more interdependent in the church than we realize, and we lose much by lack of sympathy and association with one another.

We know that the downtrodden and discouraged need encouragement, but Jesus was the sinless Son of God--and heaven knew that He needed encouragement from Elijah and Moses (who themselves needed encouragement in their ministries while on earth)--interestingly enough, both of these men had prayed at one point to die, as the extent of their ministry amid the ungrateful and unrepentant was such that they desired death rather than life. It was from such (Moses who was resurrected to heaven) and Elijah (who was translated without seeing death) that heaven chose to send a message of encouragement.

So find someone to encourage today--point them to Jesus--encourage them to spend time with Him each day in prayer, the gospels, and in beholding His loveliness in the Desire of Ages. And as you personally accept Jesus' invitation to "spend a thoughtful hour in contemplation" of His life (DA 83.4), remember that your example will influence and encourage others!

I am so thankful for the interactions on that interactive reading/posting (under "King of Kings," the "Desire of Ages"--tomorrow I can't wait to read Chapter 31 in that blessed book!)--I pray that more of us can join in the fellowship and sharing of expressing how much Jesus means to us! God created us for a purpose.

"We were brought into existence because we were needed." {Signs of the Times, April 22, 1903, para. 5}

And we fully realize that purpose in reflecting Jesus' loveliness by beholding His loveliness each day! When we are living by faith upon Him, the spontaneous result of abiding with Him is the infilling of the Holy Spirit--and He reveals Himself by all the fruits of the Spirit being manifest in the life--not one will be missing! Like light containing every hue, the fullness now of Christ in you!

We can sing this gospel truth to the well-known melody of "THE SOLID ROCK" (SDAH 522). Feel free to sing this with your families and churches:

"No Fruit We'll Lack As We Abide" (Original hymn, by Pastor Sean Brizendine; feel free to share)

We contemplate forgiving grace
The Son of God restores our race
Forgiveness flows through renewed hearts
"Be reconciled" our message starts

REFRAIN
No fruit we’ll lack as we abide
Within our hearts Christ shall reside
Within our hearts Christ shall reside

His Spirit gives us His own love
That we may be born from above
The joy of Him within our hearts
As we in Christ now live our parts (REFRAIN)

The peace of Christ has come to dwell
To calm our fears, our sins to quell
He helps us now to patient be
As we from haste have been set free (REFRAIN)

The kindness of our Savior dear
That His own life may now appear
His goodness like a mighty stream
Makes heaven real—not just a dream (REFRAIN)

His faithfulness we shall possess
As we wear Christ’s own righteousness
His gentleness constrains the soul
As we exude His self-control (REFRAIN)

His fruit remains a perfect whole
So Christ is seen within the soul
Like light containing ev’ry hue
The fullness now of Christ in you (REFRAIN)

Yet if by sin we grieve the Lord
Return again and heed His word
His knock and voice without you’ll hear
Let Christ within your heart to cheer (REFRAIN)

Against this fruit there is no law
For Christ in you will others draw
By freedom in obedience
A living-faith experience (REFRAIN)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 07:16:32 PM »
Thursday May 19

Jesus and the Temple Tax

Though there was no necessity for Jesus and His disciples to pay the temple tax, Jesus had them do it anyway, in order to avoid unnecessary controversy. What are ways we can learn to de-escalate situations, especially on things that are not absolute, in order to avoid unnecessary conflict?

In avoiding unnecessary controversy, we are not to sacrifice one principle of truth. In the example before us, we see the truth was revealed while the controversy was avoided. How can we learn to do so? The answer is always the same. We need Jesus to be in our hearts. As we study the life of Christ, He will teach us the principles we are to live by. By His example we have a pattern to follow. The question is, are we fully surrendered to Him that we might have Spiritual discernment of those things He is trying to teach us? Are we spending time daily in studying the perfect Pattern? If so, then not only will we learn the ways of God, but we shall be transformed in character so we have power to do that which is humanly impossible without Christ. It is a promise that by beholding Him, we shall be changed into His image (character...2 Cor. 3:18).

As I study the lesson this evening, I am reminded of how Jesus never worked a miracle for His own benefit--He did all things to glorify His Father. As the money from the fish was obtained miraculously, it is a beautiful way that controversy is avoided--by a miracle of grace (every miracle is a manifestation of God's grace). Jesus is our Example in all things, and often we ask questions like the one posed in the lesson, "What are ways we can learn to de-escalate situations, especially on things that are not absolute, in order to avoid unnecessary conflict?" Richard's response is one that can encourage us--we always need Jesus in our hearts. We are not asked by God to figure out situations on our own--nor to even think we have wisdom to know how to "go out or come in" (1 Kings 3:7). As we behold HIs loveliness, as we see His power to work miracles over nature, let us remember that He has the power to do the greatest of all miracles--He is able to change our stony, evil hearts to be hearts of flesh. He gives us a new heart and a new Spirit, so that by living in complete surrender to Christ by faith, He will manifest His presence in our lives with all the fruits of the Spirit, so that not one will be missing. We often marvel at miracles we read in the Bible that defy human logic or understanding--but is not the change of heart that takes place in conversion (and is to be renewed each day in beholding Jesus and surrendering to Him all) an even greater miracle? I praise God it can be a reality in our experience--today!