Author Topic: Human Hand Designed by a Creator  (Read 1892 times)

Cop

• Senior Moderator
Human Hand Designed by a Creator
« on: April 26, 2016, 12:37:07 AM »
Scientific paper that says the human hand was designed by a 'Creator' sparks controversy [Excerpts]

A recent scientific paper on the movement of the human hand has faced strong criticism for referring to a 'Creator' throughout.

The paper, titled: 'Biomechanical characteristics of hand coordination in grasping activities of daily living' was written by a team of four researchers, three from Huazhong University in China, and one from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts.

Published in the PLOS ONE journal, the fairly conventional study looked at the mechanics of how we grasp things, and involved the measurement of the hand movements of 30 participants.

However, members of the scientific community have demanded the paper be retracted, for its several perceived references to the pseudoscientific theory of intelligent design and a possibly divine 'Creator'.

In the opening sentences of the study, it claims the link between muscles and hand movements is the product of "proper design by the Creator."

Later, it says human hand coordination "should indicate the mystery of the Creator's invention," and concludes by again claiming the mechanical architecture of the hand is the result of "proper design by the Creator." Naturally, the multiple references to intelligent design in a reputable journal like PLOS ONE have stoked anger in the scientific community, and many people, including researchers who work as editors for the publication, are now calling for it to be retracted.

(Bolton, "Scientific paper which says the human hand was designed by a 'Creator' sparks controversy," The Independent Online [UK], 3/3/16

[What they aren’t calling for is a rebuttal of the conclusions drawn by the researchers. That was noted by one commentator identifying himself as  “… a committed atheist myself…” who went on to say, “Seriously: was the data OK? If it was - no problem; ask them to consider removing mention of a ‘Creator’.” On March 3, the journal noted that it would be retracting the article.]
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson