Author Topic: Desmond Doss Testimony  (Read 19625 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Desmond Doss Testimony
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Desmond Doss Testimony
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »
This is a wonderful testimony. Someone gave it to me as a gift a few years ago. Definitely worth your time.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »
Posts that were off topic were moved to   http://remnant-online.com/smf/index.php/topic,17400.0.html

Please keep posts here on the topic of Desmond Doss.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »

http://www.adventistreview.org/church-news/story4369-why-hacksaw-ridge-matters-to-adventists#.V9yaRas9Bp8.facebook

Will this be, at least in part, the fulfillment of what EGW was referring to when she said that our church would go from relative obscurity to headline news ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 08:13:28 AM »
Well this might put the spotlight on us more than Dr. Carson did. Will be interesting to see the reaction. Produced by a big name hollywood person.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

carls365

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »

http://www.adventistreview.org/church-news/story4369-why-hacksaw-ridge-matters-to-adventists#.V9yaRas9Bp8.facebook

Will this be, at least in part, the fulfillment of what EGW was referring to when she said that our church would go from relative obscurity to headline news ?

Probably the biggest spotlight will come when the world finds out about SDA's then their beliefs especially as to specific abominations so rampant and growing today. Then it won't be fun but that's good, it'll finally give the opportunity to tell the world about the actual bible truth.

Yes cp, it might be the kick in the behind needed.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:36:45 AM »
Probably the biggest spotlight will come when the world finds out about SDA's then their beliefs especially as to specific abominations so rampant and growing today. Then it won't be fun but that's good, ...

This is true but first they must learn about us. I never would have thought they'd be learning about us through a movie though. This is going to make some question their beliefs and then ours to see where we stand. I suppose this could just go away with a wimper if the movie is a dud.

colporteur

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »

It is my guess that like there are all kinds of people there will be all kinds of reactions. The good, the bad, and the ugly. If this production is honest to the story it will certainly place a good light on SDAs.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
Honest to the story? Maybe, but movies generally are not honest to the story. Some maybe, but most like to take liberties to add excitement and emotion. We remember "The Passion of Christ."  An abomination unspeakable, produced by the same man. I wonder if the Spirit will be leading in the production? And, if not, then who is?

God can override Satan, but then would that be promoting movies and actors? There is another movie being promoted by the church. We ask the same question; I God's Spirit involved in the production? If so, then God would be promoting movies and actors? Then, our schools that have drama classes are of God?

Is this movie a "testimony"? Is the kind of testimony God wants? It will be interesting to see what comes of this movie. Will it be a "true story"? And, what shall we say about it? Amazing times in which we live. Satan is hard at work. Can we see the footprints of where he has been? The line between truth and error is ever so fine.

carls365

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Hollywood is a master of subtle hints and subliminal messages, they should be, they learned from the master deceiver himself. In the world today all they need is to hear SDA beliefs on abominations and forget the rest of truth, all they care about is their agenda, their against abominations and so must be persecuted.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 07:08:11 PM »
Whether the movie is true to life, greatly fictionalized, or somewhere in between, it will call attention to Seventh-day Adventists. In fact, it already is. Check these two articles from the British Daily Mail. (Just be aware it can be a bit of a tacky site.)

Hacksaw Ridge story 1

Hacksaw Ridge story 2
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
Whoever the authors are they did their research. At the end of the article there is list of official statements along with times from the church. If movie proves popular many will be asking questions.

colporteur

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 05:15:05 AM »
Whoever the authors are they did their research. At the end of the article there is list of official statements along with times from the church. If movie proves popular many will be asking questions.
The little I have seen of previews looks much better than I expected especially coming from Mel Gibson. We can be sure that both sides will use this to their advantage. God can and will use this. I would much rather that those in Babylon use Hollywood than our own people. The Lord initially used a book on the secret rapture as a catalyst to bring me into the SDA church and canvassing work. While I would never hand someone the book " Rapture in 88" God used it. I would not produce a movie about Desmond  because it is not a very good medium. A documentary yes but not a movie. However, this will also be used for good. God is good at taking the devil's attempts and using them against him. People who do not like SDAs and our message will use this. However, those who are open and seeking God will see the good in this and it will set some on the path to search us out.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 11:54:30 PM »
Pilate crucified Christ, God sought to move inside Pilate's heart so he would not be guilty of this sin, Pilate did it anyway, God caused Pilate to write candidly in Greek, Hebrew, and Latin, and not change it. 

God causes even the wicked to fulfill His will, even if they reject Him.   

God has moved Mel Gibson to whatever degree, despite if Satan has also moved him to some degree.

Isaiah 55:11  So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

http://adventist.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/65530/Focus-1-16.pdf 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3778617/My-father-proud-Mel-Gibson-come-stronger-says-son-Hacksaw-Ridge-hero-film-star-s-comeback-anti-Semitic-shame.html 
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 08:03:22 AM »
Ed, do you have a copy of the book? Who wrote it? How long is it?

Ed Sutton

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
Don't have the book yet, will start researching to answer your question.

here's the answer:

https://www.facebook.com/itiswritten/
It Is Written
September 22 at 7:30pm ·
The Faith of Desmond Doss, written by John Bradshaw, is now available for pre-order from It Is Written!
This sharing book tells the incredible story of Desmond Doss' heroic rescue of 75 soldiers during the Battle of Okinawa, and it highlights his remarkable commitment, bravery, and faith in God.
Place your order by October 26 and it will ship on October 31, to arrive to you in time for the November 4 release of Hacksaw Ridge.

The Faith Of Desmond Doss
This book is available for pre-order only right now. Orders will be shipping out by October 31st, so that you can pass out the books at the movie release on November 4th.

https://store.itiswritten.com/product481.html

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 06:42:15 AM »
Here is a very interesting and well written article about Desmond Doss and the Seventh-day Adventist Church's position on war and military service.  source

We need to pray for his son who has left the church according to the article. He followed his father's beliefs in regards to war, when he refused to bear arms in the Vietnam War, but served as a medic. As a sole surviving son, he never saw combat as his father did.

colporteur

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 06:12:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing, cp.  What a humble man. It was an awkward situation for him. He enjoyed seeing his old friends, but all the praise going to him was hard for him to take. He knew it was God who ought to be receiving the praise. And the jewelry was difficult for him also. As I watched his son, I remembered he is not longer in the church. We need to pray for him.

All ought to take time to listen to this testimony from the world as to the bravery of this Christian man. And, the principles which God imparted to him. He lived what he believed. That we all would let Jesus live in us.