Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--85--By the Sea Once More  (Read 22307 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--85--By the Sea Once More
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
These same thoughts Pastor Sean, came to my mind also.  Especially in your last quote. I need to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus. It's easy to see the faults of others and feel a need to correct them. As if I have no faults of my own.

I love the description of Peter's change of heart. There are no inherited tendencies that God can not correct if we allow Him to. Peter is a perfect example of what God can do when we humble ourselves and submit our lives to Him.

"Before his fall, Peter was always speaking unadvisedly, from the impulse of the moment. He was always ready to correct others, and to express his mind, before he had a clear comprehension of himself or of what he had to say. But the converted Peter was very different. He retained his former fervor, but the grace of Christ regulated his zeal. He was no longer impetuous, self-confident, and self-exalted, but calm, self-possessed, and teachable. He could then feed the lambs as well as the sheep of Christ's flock."

This is counsel for everyone of us not just ministers. We each have opportunity to be partakers in feeding the lambs, as parents, teachers, church leaders, etc.  What an awesome privilege and responsibility God has given to everyone of us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
Amen and amen! It is only when we abide in Christ that we can look beyond the faults of others. And, the key to abiding in Christ is once again revealed in today's reading as Pastor Sean has shared. "Humanity is encompassed with infirmity. But in Christ we shall find perfection. Beholding Him, we shall become transformed."

One of the first lessons I learned as a new converted Christian was taught me by the only Christian I knew of, a Mennonite. I asked him about something that was bothering me and he replied that we need to stay one step behind Jesus instead of running ahead of Him. Too often we tend to want to make decisions on our own. "There is a way which seemeth right unto man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

To Peter the words "Follow Me" were full of instruction. Not only for his death, but for every step of his life, was the lesson given. Hitherto Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord. Jesus bids him, "Follow Me." Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy.

How often we forget that we need to be vitally connected to Christ continually, and when we are not, we battle Satan on our own. Disaster is just around the corner when we are not abiding in Christ. But, in Christ, we have love, joy, and peace.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »
Seven of the disciples were in company. They were clad in the humble garb of fishermen; they were poor in worldly goods, but rich in the knowledge and practice of the truth, which in the sight of Heaven gave them the highest rank as teachers.

I know for most people this isn't that big of a deal to point out and maybe I'm a little sensitive because of other dynamics going on but there is a teaching out there in Christianity that says if you're right with God you will be blessed with worldly goods and health. It seems to me that of all the people that should have been blessed with finances it would have been the disciples but they were blessed in much better ways. Knowledge of truth and friendship with Christ Himself. Just a few chapters later John tells a cripple that silver and gold he doesn't have but such as he has will give and through faith in Christ restores the cripple. What a Savior we have!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
Amen, Jim! True riches in God's sight is not merely the temporal things of this life that can pass away; true riches consist in Christlike character and a knowledge and practice of truth! What a blessing that by daily spending a "thoughtful hour" on the life of Christ and beholding His loveliness of character, we shall be transformed to experience a new heart and mind that is filled with His love manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit--and not one will be missing!

"The question that Christ had put to Peter was significant. He mentioned only one condition of discipleship and service. 'Lovest thou Me?' He said. This is the essential qualification. Though Peter might possess every other, yet without the love of Christ he could not be a faithful shepherd over the Lord's flock. Knowledge, benevolence, eloquence, gratitude, and zeal are all aids in the good work; but without the love of Jesus in the heart, the work of the Christian minister is a failure." {The Desire of Ages, page 815, paragraph 2}

Do you love Jesus? Many will say, "yes," and sincerely mean it. But unless we love Jesus with the WHOLE HEART (for that is the love of Christ), we will not be able to resist the unhallowed effects of self-indulgence and temptation to sin. Only Christ in the heart, whose love is made manifest in a continuous union and communion with the Father, are we enabled to exert a consistent witness of God's character. Peter did not know this before his fall. He felt himself sufficient in himself to pledge to follow Christ. We must also learn the lesson. Not our promises, but an experiential surrender of union and communion, is what brings us into constant fellowship with a living Savior. Unless we have this vital union, we find ourselves incapable of grappling with the inward and outward winds of temptation. Peter's fall and repentance teach us that we cannot trust to ourselves; we must have Him--His very life and love by the Holy Spirit--to abide in us continually. Apart from Christ, we can do no good (truly selfless) thing. But in Christ, our work is wrought in fellowship with Christ, for His glory by the impartation of the Holy Spirit!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »
Amen and amen! We need Jesus in the heart, not just working upon it. To a Laodicean people, His love is revealed, and He continues to knock on the door of the heart seeking entrance. Today's lesson points us to the disciple's experience, but Peter's experience is dwelt upon more pointedly. Many speak of the Greek meaning of love when Jesus reproved Peter three times. But, the main lesson is not understood. Why not? Why do we as a people not understand the need to remove reproach we bring upon Jesus when we sin. And when the sin is open sin, as was Peter's, it must be repented of publicly that the reproach be removed as much as possible. Peter was reproved in front of the disciples that they might know of his repentance and thus he would be able to work with them.

Another lesson Christ had to give, relating especially to Peter. Peter's denial of his Lord had been in shameful contrast to his former professions of loyalty. He had dishonored Christ, and had incurred the distrust of his brethren. They thought he would not be allowed to take his former position among them, and he himself felt that he had forfeited his trust. Before being called to take up again his apostolic work, he must before them all give evidence of his repentance. Without this, his sin, though repented of, might have destroyed his influence as a minister of Christ. The Saviour gave him opportunity to regain the confidence of his brethren, and, so far as possible, to remove the reproach he had brought upon the gospel.
     Here is given a lesson for all Christ's followers. The gospel makes no compromise with evil. It cannot excuse sin. Secret sins are to be confessed in secret to God; but, for open sin, open confession is required. The reproach of the disciple's sin is cast upon Christ. It causes Satan to triumph, and wavering souls to stumble. By giving proof of repentance, the disciple, so far as lies in his power, is to remove this reproach. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 06:39:49 AM »
There are some wonderful lessons in today's reading that reminded me of my great need of Jesus continually. First, I often want to run ahead of Him. I make plans but at times fail to ask Him if this is what He wants. Another wonderful lesson reveals God's love for us and how He dealt with Peter's great sin. Some have listened to teachers explain why Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him three times. They go to the Greek to explain why it is three times. But, they err. It may be that the Greek expresses a different kind of love, but that isn't the important lesson. We see in Jesus' strong rebuke of Peter, a desire for Peter to be reinstated to the ministry. It is this reason why Jesus was so strong with Peter. It broke Peter's heart to think that Jesus would question him about his love. It was to reveal to the other disciples that Peter had been changed. By beholding Jesus he was transformed. He was no longer proud and boastful, but humble.

Peter denied the Man of Sorrows in His acquaintance with grief in the hour of His humiliation. But he afterward repented and was reconverted. He had true contrition of soul and gave himself afresh to his Saviour. With blinding tears he makes his way to the solitudes of the Garden of Gethsemane and there prostrates himself where he saw his Saviour’s prostrate form when the bloody sweat was forced from His pores by His great agony. Peter remembers with remorse that he was asleep when Jesus prayed during those fearful hours. His proud heart breaks, and penitential tears moisten the sods so recently stained with the bloody sweat drops of God’s dear Son. He left that garden a converted man. He was ready then to pity the tempted. He was humbled and could sympathize with the weak and erring. He could caution and warn the presumptuous, and was fully fitted to strengthen his brethren.

Some believe and teach that this was when Peter was first converted, but again this is not so. We read that Peter was "reconverted." All of the disciples except Judas had been converted prior to the cross. Being ignorant of the gospel, they fell from grace many times prior to the cross. When we understand this, it helps us to understand what we see in the church today.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »
We cannot improve on Jesus as an Educator. He knows the needs of every soul and prepares the needed experiences to bring us into harmony with Himself. I am so thankful for how Jesus teaches us, leads us, and as we surrender fully to Him because we are drawn to Him by the marvelous loveliness of His character, we are changed from glory to glory, to reflect Him in mind an character!

"Seven of the disciples were in company. They were clad in the humble garb of fishermen; they were poor in worldly goods, but rich in the knowledge and practice of the truth, which in the sight of Heaven gave them the highest rank as teachers. They had not been students in the schools of the prophets, but for three years they had been taught by the greatest Educator the world has ever known. Under His instruction they had become elevated, intelligent, and refined, agents through whom men might be led to a knowledge of the truth." {The Desire of Ages, page 809, paragraph 2}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 04:49:25 AM »
Waiting on God, and letting Him lead the way is a precious lesson we can gather from Peter's experience of his fall, repentance, and reconversion. He had loved Jesus before his fall, but his hereditary and cultivated tendencies to evil had often gotten the best of him, as he had failed to realize his continual need of Jesus. But the humbling experience of his fall taught him how deeply he needed Jesus to guide him step-by-step, moment-by-moment. We also, like Peter, must come to see that unless we love Jesus with the whole heart, unless our own will and way is completely crucified, we are very liable to fall back into the works of the flesh, instead of revealing the evidence of true conversion: all of the fruits of the Spirit manifest in the life without one missing as we obey all the light of truth from Jesus we know. As we learn our continual need of Jesus, His converting grace can regulate our zeal and keep us patient, calm, and self-possessed under the most exciting and trying circumstances. May this be our experience is my prayer.

"To Peter the words 'Follow Me' were full of instruction. Not only for his death, but for every step of his life, was the lesson given. Hitherto Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord. Jesus bids him, 'Follow Me.' Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy." {The Desire of Ages, page 816, paragraph 1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 09:00:32 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. And, once again there is much instruction for us in studying the life of Peter. There is a lesson for us in the reproof of Peter in front of the disciples. It is very much needed today. Many have been taught that it was three kinds of love that was involved. They explain the Greek. But, that is not the important lesson. Jesus is reproving Peter in front of others for a reason. Why? Because Jesus wanted Peter to retain his position with the disciples. Open sin is to be reproved publicly. This is the lesson. Why must it be public?

Here is given a lesson for all Christ's followers. The gospel makes no compromise with evil. It cannot excuse sin. Secret sins are to be confessed in secret to God; but, for open sin, open confession is required. The reproach of the disciple's sin is cast upon Christ. It causes Satan to triumph, and wavering souls to stumble. By giving proof of repentance, the disciple, so far as lies in his power, is to remove this reproach. 

We are to remove the reproach, as much as possible, that we have brought upon Christ and the church by giving proof of repentance when we have sinned openly as had Peter.

Dorine

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
"Heretofore Peter had known Christ after the flesh, as many know Him now; but he was no more to be thus limited. He knew Him no more as he had known Him in his association with Him in humanity. He had loved Him as a man, as a heaven-sent teacher; he now loved Him as God. He had been learning the lesson that to him Christ was all in all. Now he was prepared to share in his Lord's mission of sacrifice. When at last brought to the cross, he was, at his own request, crucified with his head downward. He thought it too great an honor to suffer in the same way as his Master did."

Like Peter, I too want to love Jesus not just as a man but I want to love and serve Him as my Lord and Saviour; my God.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2019, 07:05:49 AM »
Amen sister Dorine!  Let us learn from Peter's fall. We need to maintain our conversion and better understand our defects of character that we can guard against them. They need to be hidden in Christ. Many fail to understand what true conversion is. Peter had been converted prior to the cross. But, he did not know what conversion was. He did not know Jesus had to die for His sins. He did not know he needed Jesus all the time. But, he certainly learned who he was when he denied Jesus three times.

Before his fall, Peter was always speaking unadvisedly, from the impulse of the moment. He was always ready to correct others, and to express his mind, before he had a clear comprehension of himself or of what he had to say. But the converted Peter was very different. He retained his former fervor, but the grace of Christ regulated his zeal. He was no longer impetuous, self-confident, and self-exalted, but calm, self-possessed, and teachable. He could then feed the lambs as well as the sheep of Christ's flock. 

"Before his fall."  His prior conversion was not a steady surrender to Christ, but only at times when he allowed the Spirit into his heart. He had been falsely instructed by the religious leaders and did not know Jesus as Savior from sin. He learned the hard way. Let us spend time with Jesus that our experience will be a continual surrender to the One who loves us in a manner we do not yet fully understand.

Beacon

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2019, 07:07:34 AM »
"How many today are like Peter! They are interested in the affairs of others, and anxious to know their duty, while they are in danger of neglecting their own. It is our work to look to Christ and follow Him. We shall see mistakes in the lives of others, and defects in their character. Humanity is encompassed with infirmity. But in Christ we shall find perfection. Beholding Him, we shall become transformed. "[/u]

Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus...look FULL in His Wonder Face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the Light of His Glory and Grace

"Peter had been restored to his apostleship, but the honor and authority he received from Christ had not given him supremacy over his brethren. This Christ had made plain when in answer to Peter's question, "What shall this man do?" He had said, "What is that to thee? follow thou Me." Peter was not honored as the head of the church. The favor which Christ had shown him in forgiving his apostasy, and entrusting him with the feeding of the flock, and Peter's own faithfulness in following Christ, won for him the confidence of his brethren. He had much influence in the church."

The Grace, Mercy and  Forgiveness which Jesus extended to Peter is one of the grandest examples of how Christ is willing to forgive. It is also the grandest example for us individually when we find ourselves in the same situation as Peter. We must never, never, listen to the voice of Satan telling us that it's too late to come back to Jesus and find forgiveness. The death of Christ on the Cross of Calvary means that Heavens Gates are Open Wide, and it brings great joy and gladness to Jesus when by faith we accept His great Mercy and Forgiveness. 

I John 1:9 says....If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
We all face it. We have a deep need of a thorough conversion, or else we shall fall into sin like Peter. We need to see our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing. But thankfully, after Peter's fall, he realized how much he needed Jesus and he became better able to minister because he was teachable. Let us surrender fully to Christ to be humble and teachable. We do not have to have a "great fall" like Peter did in order to be converted (because we are all evil and sinful by nature--and that is enough reason to flee to Christ just as we are!). We can look and live upon the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. There is life in the look--the miracle of divine grace can change the selfish, impulsive heart into one renewed by the Holy Spirit to reveal all of the traits of the divine nature: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, faith and temperance--and not one will be missing as long as this conversion experience is maintained through continual union and communion with Christ.

"Peter was naturally forward and impulsive, and Satan had taken advantage of these characteristics to overthrow him. Just before the fall of Peter, Jesus had said to him, 'Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: but I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.' Luke 22:31, 32. That time had now come, and the transformation in Peter was evident. The close, testing questions of the Lord had not called out one forward, self-sufficient reply; and because of his humiliation and repentance, Peter was better prepared than ever before to act as shepherd to the flock." {The Desire of Ages, page 812, paragraph 3}

May Christ use us today with a heart full of His love and grace--His unmerited favor--to shed abroad an elevating influence in the heavenward way!

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
The Saviour's manner of dealing with Peter had a lesson for him and for his brethren. It taught them to meet the transgressor with patience, sympathy, and forgiving love. Although Peter had denied his Lord, the love which Jesus bore him never faltered. Just such love should the undershepherd feel for the sheep and lambs committed to his care. Remembering his own weakness and failure, Peter was to deal with his flock as tenderly as Christ had dealt with him.

To demonstrate the Love of Jesus in every aspect of our lives in all our dealings will result in bringing Hope, Encouragement & Happiness to all with whom we come in contact, drawing them closer to Jesus the truest example of Love and Forgiveness. Let us always remember the great mercy, compassion and forgiveness that Jesus has given to us and He invites us to " pass it on " to others.

The question that Christ had put to Peter was significant. He mentioned only one condition of discipleship and service. "Lovest thou Me?" He said. This is the essential qualification. Though Peter might possess every other, yet without the love of Christ he could not be a faithful shepherd over the Lord's flock. Knowledge, benevolence, eloquence, gratitude, and zeal are all aids in the good work; but without the love of Jesus in the heart, the work of the Christian minister is a failure.

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 06:24:26 AM »
"How many today are like Peter! They are interested in the affairs of others, and anxious to know their duty, while they are in danger of neglecting their own. It is our work to look to Christ and follow Him. We shall see mistakes in the lives of others, and defects in their character. Humanity is encompassed with infirmity. But in Christ we shall find perfection. Beholding Him, we shall become transformed."

Here is counsel that we would be wise to heed; ending in a promise. By beholding Jesus and knowing that He has forgiven us we are able to look at others with compassion and mercy leaving their destiny to God. He works differently in each of us but if we could see the end from the beginning as Jesus does we would not choose a different path. We can put our full trust in the decisions God makes for each of us even when we don't understand or they are not made clear to us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 07:45:11 AM »
Amen! This is what it means to be a converted Christian. When we give the whole heart to Christ, then the Spirit takes possession of the heart and we manifest the the fruits of the Spirit, the character of God. We may eat the wrong food, keep the wrong day, because we do not understand, but the heart is cleansed from all selfishness. The motives are pure and holy. It is the heart that God looks upon and cleanses, not the flesh.

When Peter was reconverted, he had learned much. It was the lesson Peter had learned that we all need to learn. Do we love others as Jesus loves us? We ought to remember how God has dealt with our sins, then we ought to be so compassionate with others. As Brother Beacon has pointed out, we have not this to give unless we have Jesus in the heart.

The Saviour's manner of dealing with Peter had a lesson for him and for his brethren. It taught them to meet the transgressor with patience, sympathy, and forgiving love. Although Peter had denied his Lord, the love which Jesus bore him never faltered. Just such love should the undershepherd feel for the sheep and lambs committed to his care. Remembering his own weakness and failure, Peter was to deal with his flock as tenderly as Christ had dealt with him.
     The question that Christ had put to Peter was significant. He mentioned only one condition of discipleship and service. "Lovest thou Me?" He said. This is the essential qualification. Though Peter might possess every other, yet without the love of Christ he could not be a faithful shepherd over the Lord's flock. Knowledge, benevolence, eloquence, gratitude, and zeal are all aids in the good work; but without the love of Jesus in the heart, the work of the Christian minister is a failure

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!

As we keep our eyes on Jesus, we can remember that Christ knows the best path for each of us to take, and He also works out His will in a variety of ways. We can remember that Christ will help us to do our duty well even as He helps others. The key is fully surrendering to Christ the whole heart and letting Him imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing--then we will gladly obey where He leads the way!

"How many today are like Peter! They are interested in the affairs of others, and anxious to know their duty, while they are in danger of neglecting their own. It is our work to look to Christ and follow Him. We shall see mistakes in the lives of others, and defects in their character. Humanity is encompassed with infirmity. But in Christ we shall find perfection. Beholding Him, we shall become transformed." {The Desire of Ages, page 816, paragraph 3}

As we realized how much we need Christ to do any good thing, we will look to Him for help in every time of need and show compassion to others!   

Beacon

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
"Another lesson Christ had to give, relating especially to Peter. Peter's denial of his Lord had been in shameful contrast to his former professions of loyalty. He had dishonored Christ, and had incurred the distrust of his brethren. They thought he would not be allowed to take his former position among them, and he himself felt that he had forfeited his trust.

"Before being called to take up again his apostolic work, "he must before them all, give evidence of his repentance. "Without this", his sin, though repented of, might have destroyed his influence as a minister of Christ." The Saviour gave him opportunity to regain the confidence of his brethren, and, so far as possible, to remove the reproach he had brought upon the gospel."

"Here is given a lesson for all Christ's followers. The gospel makes no compromise with evil. It cannot excuse sin. Secret sins are to be confessed in secret to God; "but, for open sin, open confession is required". The reproach of the disciple's sin is cast upon Christ. It causes Satan to triumph, and wavering souls to stumble. By giving proof of repentance, the disciple, so far as lies in his power, is to remove this reproach."

1 John 3:1 Says..."Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God...!!.

What tremendous LOVE & GRACE was extended to Peter and it also has been extended to us although we like Peter have at times been soo unworthy of His FORGIVENESS and RESTORATION.  Let us therefore be merciful and forgiving and celebrate with great joy when a prodigal son or daughter comes back to Jesus and desires to worship with us once again.  

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2019, 04:27:42 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Happy Sabbath to all this beautiful day!

As I contemplate the experience of Peter, I am encouraged to see how Jesus thoroughly transformed his character because Peter became teachable, calm and self-possessed by learning his continual need of Jesus to do any good thing. We also may learn the heart lesson and be blessed by letting God plan for our lives, instead of trying to plan for God independently. May we ever choose to remain in an abiding whole-heart-surrender to Jesus, for only through Him will all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing be revealed in our lives in true effectiveness to win souls!

"To Peter the words 'Follow Me' were full of instruction. Not only for his death, but for every step of his life, was the lesson given. Hitherto Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord. Jesus bids him, 'Follow Me.' Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy." {The Desire of Ages, page 816, paragraph 1}

Jesus has an appointed path for us in His will, and as we learn of Him, we will be glad to follow where He leads us. Only by experiencing the union and communion of our souls with Him will we be truly enabled to know the steps He would have us take day by day. May this Sabbath day be an opportunity for us to draw near to God as He draws near to us, so we can hear Him speak His mysteries to us personally! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon.  The question is whether or not we can follow the path of Christ. Many cannot because they do not choose to do it in Christ's way. In today's reading we better understand it is not our power, but the power given to us from God. We must make an effort, but it is His power that enables us.

Vividly they recalled the scene beside the sea when Jesus had bidden them follow Him. They remembered how, at His command, they had launched out into the deep, and had let down their net, and the catch had been so abundant as to fill the net, even to breaking. Then Jesus had called them to leave their fishing boats, and had promised to make them fishers of men. It was to bring this scene to their minds, and to deepen its impression, that He had again performed the miracle. His act was a renewal of the commission to the disciples. It showed them that the death of their Master had not lessened their obligation to do the work He had assigned them. Though they were to be deprived of His personal companionship, and of the means of support by their former employment, the risen Saviour would still have a care for them. While they were doing His work, He would provide for their needs. And Jesus had a purpose in bidding them cast their net on the right side of the ship. On that side He stood upon the shore. That was the side of faith. If they labored in connection with Him,--His divine power combining with their human effort,--they could not fail of success. 

As Brother Beacon has shared, the love and grace extended to Peter is there for us also. What love!