Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--85--By the Sea Once More  (Read 1747 times)

Re: The Desire of Ages--85--By the Sea Once More
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
These same thoughts Pastor Sean, came to my mind also.  Especially in your last quote. I need to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus. It's easy to see the faults of others and feel a need to correct them. As if I have no faults of my own.

I love the description of Peter's change of heart. There are no inherited tendencies that God can not correct if we allow Him to. Peter is a perfect example of what God can do when we humble ourselves and submit our lives to Him.

"Before his fall, Peter was always speaking unadvisedly, from the impulse of the moment. He was always ready to correct others, and to express his mind, before he had a clear comprehension of himself or of what he had to say. But the converted Peter was very different. He retained his former fervor, but the grace of Christ regulated his zeal. He was no longer impetuous, self-confident, and self-exalted, but calm, self-possessed, and teachable. He could then feed the lambs as well as the sheep of Christ's flock."

This is counsel for everyone of us not just ministers. We each have opportunity to be partakers in feeding the lambs, as parents, teachers, church leaders, etc.  What an awesome privilege and responsibility God has given to everyone of us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--85--By the Sea Once More
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
Amen and amen! It is only when we abide in Christ that we can look beyond the faults of others. And, the key to abiding in Christ is once again revealed in today's reading as Pastor Sean has shared. "Humanity is encompassed with infirmity. But in Christ we shall find perfection. Beholding Him, we shall become transformed."

One of the first lessons I learned as a new converted Christian was taught me by the only Christian I knew of, a Mennonite. I asked him about something that was bothering me and he replied that we need to stay one step behind Jesus instead of running ahead of Him. Too often we tend to want to make decisions on our own. "There is a way which seemeth right unto man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

To Peter the words "Follow Me" were full of instruction. Not only for his death, but for every step of his life, was the lesson given. Hitherto Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord. Jesus bids him, "Follow Me." Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy.

How often we forget that we need to be vitally connected to Christ continually, and when we are not, we battle Satan on our own. Disaster is just around the corner when we are not abiding in Christ. But, in Christ, we have love, joy, and peace.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.