Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--80--In Joseph's Tomb  (Read 16302 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--80--In Joseph's Tomb
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2023, 06:44:18 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Sister Dorine!!

The cross did it. Both Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea were so moved by what Christ experienced on the cross that they were "all in" for Jesus. They chose that FULL SURRENDER! Are you "all in" for Jesus by afresh looking in faith to His crucifixion? Knowing that the One who died for us is also risen and soon to return to take His children home to heaven, let us be deeply be in earnest to share the everlasting gospel so many more can experience the transformation of character that can only come when the truth sets us free and we have Christ abiding in us, the hope of glory! Without one missing, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be revealed in the life of one who lives by faith on the Son of God in affectionate obedience to all of His commandments up to the light God has revealed!

"Nicodemus, when he saw Jesus lifted up on the cross, remembered His words spoken by night in the Mount of Olives: 'As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.' John 3:14, 15. On that Sabbath, when Christ lay in the grave, Nicodemus had opportunity for reflection. A clearer light now illuminated his mind, and the words which Jesus had spoken to him were no longer mysterious. He felt that he had lost much by not connecting himself with the Saviour during His life. Now he recalled the events of Calvary. The prayer of Christ for His murderers and His answer to the petition of the dying thief spoke to the heart of the learned councilor. Again he looked upon the Saviour in His agony; again he heard that last cry, 'It is finished,' spoken like the words of a conqueror. Again he beheld the reeling earth, the darkened heavens, the rent veil, the shivered rocks, and his faith was forever established. The very event that destroyed the hopes of the disciples convinced Joseph and Nicodemus of the divinity of Jesus. Their fears were overcome by the courage of a firm and unwavering faith." {The Desire of Ages, page 775, paragraph 2}

Don't be afraid of the future. Remember all that God has said and taught you from the word of God. Trust Him completely in full surrender continually. He will constrain you to the kind of service that is moved by love because He left heaven to take away your sin and give you a new life with Him that will span eternity. Praise God!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2024, 08:40:45 PM »
"Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying:

"Truly this was the Son of God" (Matthew 27:54)."

"These words were said in no whispered tones."

"All eyes were turned to see whence they came."

"It was the centurion, the Roman soldier"

"The divine patience of the Saviour, and His sudden death, with the cry of victory upon His lips, had impressed this heathen. In the bruised, broken body hanging upon the cross, the centurion recognized the form of the Son of God. He could not refrain from confessing his faith."

"Thus again evidence was given that our Redeemer was to see of the travail of His soul."

"Upon the very day of His death, three men, differing widely from one another, had declared their faith,—he who commanded the Roman guard, he who bore the cross of the Saviour, and he who died upon the cross at His side."

Jesus Paid It All....Are "WE" willing to confess our loyalty to Jesus with those we come in contact with ??
==============================
Alas, and did my Savior bleed?
  And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
  For such a worm as I?
    At the cross, at the cross where
  I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
  And now I am happy all the day!
Was it for sins that I had done
  He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
  And love beyond degree!
Well might the sun in darkness hide,
  And shut His glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker, died
  For man, His creature’s sin.
Thus might I hide my blushing face
  While His dear cross appears.
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
  And melt mine eyes to tears.
But drops of grief can ne’er repay
  The debt of love I owe;
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
  ’Tis all that I can do.

Lyrics:Isaac Watts (1674-1748); Chorus by Ralph Erskine Hudson (1843-1901)
Music:Ralph Erskine Hudson
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2024, 03:59:44 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

The crucifixion really stirred people's minds and hearts. It led to investigation of the word of God, and those who searched indeed found evidence that Jesus was the Messiah!

"Many minds were busy with thoughts started by the scenes of Calvary. From the crucifixion to the resurrection many sleepless eyes were constantly searching the prophecies, some to learn the full meaning of the feast they were then celebrating, some to find evidence that Jesus was not what He claimed to be; and others with sorrowful hearts were searching for proofs that He was the true Messiah. Though searching with different objects in view, all were convicted of the same truth,--that prophecy had been fulfilled in the events of the past few days, and that the Crucified One was the world's Redeemer. Many who at that time united in the service never again took part in the paschal rites. Many even of the priests were convicted of the true character of Jesus. Their searching of the prophecies had not been in vain, and after His resurrection they acknowledged Him as the Son of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 775, paragraph 1}

To acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God in these last days includes intelligently understanding and appreciating His great sacrifice, yielding our heart and mind to the Holy Spirit fully, and then boldly sharing His love in the context of the Three Angels' messages (Revelation 14:6-12). We can be filled with holy boldness with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we fully surrender to Christ and behold His love afresh each day. Thankfully, He first chose us and is drawing us. He years for our cooperation and consent so He can renew us into His image, sending us forth as His missionaries!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2024, 09:23:11 PM »
Amen my dear brothers. What a God we serve!  How do we look at those who murdered Jesus?  Do you love them? How does Jesus look at them? He said Father forgive them for they know not what they do. On the other hand, some knew exactly what they were doing. How should you and I look at them?

Now that the frenzy of excitement was past, the image of Christ would intrude upon their minds. They beheld Him as He stood serene and uncomplaining before His enemies, suffering without a murmur their taunts and abuse. All the events of His trial and crucifixion came back to them with an overpowering conviction that He was the Son of God. They felt that He might at any time stand before them, the accused to become the accuser, the condemned to condemn, the slain to demand justice in the death of His murderers.

I had not seen this before in the many times I read it. God's justice is just as much a part of His government as is mercy. They both met at the cross.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.