Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--72--In Rememberance of Me  (Read 20793 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--72--In Rememberance of Me
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:05 AM »
Amen and amen!  It is not just Christ and no law. It is not just the law and no Christ. Never. It is both Christ and the law, for the law is a revelation of Christ, it reveals His character of justice and mercy. We are never to separate the two, That is Satan's work to divorce mercy from truth. It is the battle seen in the "great controversy" between good and evil, between Christ and Satan.

We see the long-suffering of Christ in how He dealt with the rebel, Judas. So, He deals with us all. He longs to save us. Save us from what? From ourselves and sin. He wants us to know ourselves. He wants us to drink His blood and eat His flesh that by becoming partakers of His divine nature we might escape the corruption in the world and in our flesh.

Besides the loveliness of Jesus we see in today's reading, two important truths that will help those deceived as to what a converted Christian is, and is not. Many are mistaken about when it was that the disciples were converted. This then has an influence on when they think they are converted. In yesterday's reading, we saw that all except Judas were willing to concede the highest place , after the grace of God had been revealed when the Son of God stooped to wash their dirty feet, when they neglected to wash His. Many read over this and do not see that the eleven had already been converted, that they had fallen from grace when they entered the upper room, and were "reconverted" before they left the upper room.

Today, if we failed to understand, we are given a very pointed statement that confirms their re-conversion on this night. "It was because the disciples were erring and faulty that He washed their feet, and all but one of the twelve were thus brought to repentance." They left the upper room fully surrendered to Christ.

There is another statement that most in the church understand rightly, but there are those who are called "feast keepers" that reject this truth. They keep the Old Testament feast days, including the Passover. They incorrectly believe the feast days are moral law and thus are still binding. Having made up their minds, they then reject the plain and pointed statement presented in today's chapter. "Christ was standing at the point of transition between two economies and their two great festivals. He, the spotless Lamb of God, was about to present Himself as a sin offering, that He would thus bring to an end the system of types and ceremonies that for four thousand years had pointed to His death. As He ate the Passover with His disciples, He instituted in its place the service that was to be the memorial of His great sacrifice. The national festival of the Jews was to pass away forever. The service which Christ established was to be observed by His followers in all lands and through all ages."

Pass away, means "pass away forever." We do not keep the ceremonial law which includes the Jewish festivals.

If we will spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, He will daily  bring us to a full surrender of self and sin. For it is by beholding His grace that it is taken into the heart.

"Whoso eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, hath eternal life." It is by receiving the life for us poured out on Calvary's cross, that we can live the life of holiness. And this life we receive by receiving His word, by doing those things which He has commanded. Thus we become one with Him. "He that eateth My flesh," He says, "and drinketh My blood, dwelleth in Me, and I in him. As the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth Me, even he shall live by Me." John 6:54, 56, 57. To the holy Communion this scripture in a special sense applies. As faith contemplates our Lord's great sacrifice, the soul assimilates the spiritual life of Christ. That soul will receive spiritual strength from every Communion. The service forms a living connection by which the believer is bound up with Christ, and thus bound up with the Father. In a special sense it forms a connection between dependent human beings and God.   

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard! We praise God for the powerful and beautiful revelation of the character of Christ as seen in the way Jesus met His disciples in the upper room, and gave them the emblems that pointed to His death. Each time I get to take the communion service (and as a pastor lead out in it), I am encouraged anew with the realization that this is the very thing Jesus wants my heart and mind to dwell upon, as I gladly anticipate the second coming! Jesus is so precious to us, and His grace provides even for our daily food by His incredible sacrifice! What wondrous love is this!!

"Our Lord has said, 'Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. . . . For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.' John 6:53-55. This is true of our physical nature. To the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life. The bread we eat is the purchase of His broken body. The water we drink is bought by His spilled blood. Never one, saint or sinner, eats his daily food, but he is nourished by the body and the blood of Christ. The cross of Calvary is stamped on every loaf. It is reflected in every water spring. All this Christ has taught in appointing the emblems of His great sacrifice. The light shining from that Communion service in the upper chamber makes sacred the provisions for our daily life. The family board becomes as the table of the Lord, and every meal a sacrament."  {The Desire of Ages, page 660, paragraph 3}

May your meals each day remind you of the cost Christ paid to give you every blessing for this life and the next. It is stamped with His cross. It is grace. And the grace that we receive, believe, and allow to change us will indeed save us, for by grace we are saved.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 03:12:00 AM »
I love spending time beholding Jesus' loveliness of character. Why? Because it keeps everything in proper perspective. Whenever what I am going through may appear difficult or trying, as I look higher to Jesus and remember His infinite sacrifice, my thoughts are drawn from self to see how much greater His sufferings were in bearing the sin of the whole world, and gladly, for the joy that was set before Him, enduring the cross to save me. Then any cross I get to bear becomes a delight because it is part of the training needful that I may become like Him in character. You and I have infinite value to God because an infinite price has been paid; the blood of the Creator who became our Elder Brother was shed to save us, and will avail all who yield fully to Him. Remember the love of Christ, let it transform your heart and mind as by beholding you are changed, as the evidence of this change in your life is that all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest, and not one is missing!

"Our Lord says, Under conviction of sin, remember that I died for you. When oppressed and persecuted and afflicted for My sake and the gospel's, remember My love, so great that for you I gave My life. When your duties appear stern and severe, and your burdens too heavy to bear, remember that for your sake I endured the cross, despising the shame. When your heart shrinks from the trying ordeal, remember that your Redeemer liveth to make intercession for you." {The Desire of Ages, page 659, paragraph 3} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »
Thank you for sharing these uplifting thoughts, Pastor Sean. I always look forward to reading what God has impressed upon our hearts from the same reading.

I had a hard time choosing my thoughts to share today. I kept changing my mind because the whole chapter spoke strongly to me. The following paragraph is very encouraging to me. It is a beautiful promise that I need to cling to each day.

"Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary." 
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 07:01:15 AM »
Amen Sister Doreen and Pastor Sean. We are told over and over how it is that we might be converted daily. It Is by beholding Jesus especially in His suffering. As Moses lifted the serpent in the wilderness even so must the Son of Man be lifted up that we might look and live. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes. Jesus tells us over and over that we must drink His blood and eat His flesh. Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word. The word was made flesh. The Bible is a revelation of Jesus, and if we have seen Jesus, we have seen the Father. Jesus says that He is the Manna which came down from heaven. "As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever." John 6:57,58. The Israelites ate manna in the wilderness that they might have physical life. The manna was a type and shadow of Jesus. If we want spiritual life we must feed upon Him. "We all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

It is so wonderful to be able to preach to a choir that loves to feed upon Jesus! And, there are others that are reading that also are learning the secret of spiritual life.

The ordinances that point to our Lord's humiliation and suffering are regarded too much as a form. They were instituted for a purpose. Our senses need to be quickened to lay hold of the mystery of godliness. It is the privilege of all to comprehend, far more than we do, the expiatory sufferings of Christ. "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so has the Son of man been lifted up, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. To the cross of Calvary, bearing a dying Saviour, we must look. Our eternal interests demand that we show faith in Christ.   
     Our Lord has said, "Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. . . . For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." John 6:53-55. This is true of our physical nature. To the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life. The bread we eat is the purchase of His broken body. The water we drink is bought by His spilled blood. Never one, saint or sinner, eats his daily food, but he is nourished by the body and the blood of Christ. The cross of Calvary is stamped on every loaf. It is reflected in every water spring. All this Christ has taught in appointing the emblems of His great sacrifice. The light shining from that Communion service in the upper chamber makes sacred the provisions for our daily life. The family board becomes as the table of the Lord, and every meal a sacrament.
     And how much more are Christ's words true of our spiritual nature. He declares, "Whoso eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, hath eternal life." It is by receiving the life for us poured out on Calvary's cross, that we can live the life of holiness. And this life we receive by receiving His word, by doing those things which He has commanded. Thus we become one with Him. "He that eateth My flesh," He says, "and drinketh My blood, dwelleth in Me, and I in him. As the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth Me, even he shall live by Me." John 6:54, 56, 57. To the holy Communion this scripture in a special sense applies. As faith contemplates our Lord's great sacrifice, the soul assimilates the spiritual life of Christ. That soul will receive spiritual strength from every Communion. The service forms a living connection by which the believer is bound up with Christ, and thus bound up with the Father. In a special sense it forms a connection between dependent human beings and God.   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »
If one was to play the devil like George Knight did with his article " If I were the devil" how would you bring into the SDA communion service the white communion wafer like the Catholics use ? Hmmm. How about this ? Some people are gluten intolerant. Therefore begin by offering a gluten free option  that looks identical to that which the Catholic church uses.

I am sensitive to the slipperiness and subtly with which the devil leads people to and through Catholicism. Being a former Catholic no doubt adds to this sensitivity. It is the "eucharist" that is central to Catholicism with its round, thin, white wafer. Last Sabbath in a neighboring SDA church they held a communion service. It was stated that there would be a gluten free option in the partaking of the bread.  Fine, you mean a person cannot even break off a  pea sized corner of whole wheat bread without it ruining their day ? generally it is not the wheat anyway but the GMO and or Round Up spray that causes the reaction. Anyway, the option looked exactly like the white Catholic wafer. It was thin, white and round. How easy one of these days to just say, "why hassle with making bread and messing with two options. We can all just use the white wafer ? This is exactly how the shift was made from Sabbath to Sunday.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

thx4mercy

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »
Our church has advertised in the bulletin that from now on they will serve only gluten free communion bread and Sabbath was our first.  The piece was the smallest I'd ever seen, about the size of a dime but it wasn't round.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »
What was their reason for doing so?  Are there a lot of people with celiac disease in your congregation?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 05:10:47 AM »

That which was served was identical in appearance to the Catholic version of the " host" and a little bigger in diameter of a quarter.  It was obviously purchased that way.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

thx4mercy

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »
What was their reason for doing so?  Are there a lot of people with celiac disease in your congregation?

About every congregation these days probably has one or two that say they are gluten intolerant, and for years at this church and our former one they have offered that option.  This was just the first I've seen or heard about them giving only the gluten-free option.  I don't know, however, that it has anything to do with the issue that CP is raising.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »

That which was served was identical in appearance to the Catholic version of the " host" and a little bigger in diameter of a quarter.  It was obviously purchased that way.

Sounds like pure laziness to me.  It's  not that difficult to make communion bread, and if they really need a gluten-free alternative, they can make it out of brown rice flour.  My former boss used to make it out of whole grain barley flour because wheat did not agree with her digestive system.  Most people couldn't tell the difference.  I think the critical factor is that it should be whole grain.

A lot of this gluten-free nonsense is just a fad.  Give me my whole wheat bread!  ;D  But for a whole grain cookie, barley flour works great, and often fools those who think they need cookies made with white flour.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 04:17:57 AM »
The gospel of God's grace, even the everlasting gospel, is strikingly revealed with effective power in the Communion service. To eat bread that symbolizes Christ's broken body and drink the pure juice of the grape that symbolizes His blood shed for us is meant to impress our hearts with the infinite love of God in Christ for us. As we behold Christ's exceedingly beautiful loveliness of character culminating in His death on the cross to save us, we are changed in heart and mind. This is the miracle God intends will transpire each day as we come and learn of Him, the miracle of giving us a new heart and mind filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. Then self is dead because it has nothing to say when the cross is ever before the mind's eye, and the soul enjoys such vibrant union and communion with the Creator who risked all heaven to save even one of us. What wondrous love is this!!

"Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary." {The Desire of Ages, page 661, paragraph 2}   
     "He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said, 'God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.' Galatians 6:14." {The Desire of Ages, page 661, paragraph 3}   

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 06:12:19 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. This was the quote that impressed me the most this morning. As we look to our Redeemer our hearts are melted, our hearts cleansed, our thoughts pure. These are scenes to contemplate as we move through this day. We will be kept in His love.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 05:30:08 AM »
May we experience the transformation that comes only through beholding the loveliness of Jesus, and letting it materially change our character--reaching down to our very motives, thoughts, and feelings, so we are truly new creatures in Christ Jesus. Such an experience is the greatest miracle, and is manifest in the life with the witness of all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. The degree to which we reveal Christ's character will only increase continually as we remain abiding in Him, seeing ever more fully the sinfulness of our fallen nature, and our deep need of the new heart of faith working by love, so the divine nature that is given us in conversion by receiving His promises may bear much fruit to His glory! "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh" (Ezekiel 36:26). We need deeper union and communion with Christ, and as we experience it, souls around us will be drawn to the Savior!

"He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said, 'God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.' Galatians 6:14." {The Desire of Ages, page 661, paragraph 3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 08:04:44 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  It is the heart Christ wants, all of it. If we behold His grace, we shall give Him our sin polluted hearts that He might cleanse them from the stain of sin.

Christ by the Holy Spirit is there to set the seal to His own ordinance. He is there to convict and soften the heart. Not a look, not a thought of contrition, escapes His notice. For the repentant, brokenhearted one He is waiting. All things are ready for that soul's reception. He who washed the feet of Judas longs to wash every heart from the stain of sin.   

Notice also that it is through the Holy Spirit that this work is done.

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 08:12:17 PM »
"Though Jesus knew Judas from the beginning, He washed his feet. And the betrayer was privileged to unite with Christ in partaking of the sacrament. A long-suffering Saviour held out every inducement for the sinner to receive Him, to repent, and to be cleansed from the defilement of sin. This example is for us. When we suppose one to be in error and sin, we are not to divorce ourselves from him. By no careless separation are we to leave him a prey to temptation, or drive him upon Satan's battleground. This is not Christ's method. It was because the disciples were erring and faulty that He washed their feet, and all but one of the twelve were thus brought to repentance."

"Wonderful had been the long-suffering of Jesus in His dealing with this tempted soul. Nothing that could be done to save Judas had been left undone. After he had twice covenanted to betray his Lord, Jesus still gave him opportunity for repentance. By reading the secret purpose of the traitor's heart, Christ gave to Judas the final, convincing evidence of His divinity. This was to the false disciple the last call to repentance."

When we have a true sense of our own unworthiness and how much grace has been given to us, our hearts should be open to be kind, patient, and forgiving towards others and be encouraging to help them come to the throne of mercy and forgiveness thereby strengthening the body of Christ and bringing joy to Jesus as He see one more repentant sinner on his way home to share in the eternal joy of being with Jesus for all eternity.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Marelis

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:16 AM »
I've been blessed for reading this lovely thread. Thank you. Gluten-free option? Now we've seen everything. Well, almost.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Marelis

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 01:46:58 AM »
Many of the gluten-free folks are glutenphobic, not coeliac.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 06:39:01 AM »
I really like this passage this morning. The more we look to Christ the more we will be drawn to him and the more we'll reflect His love!

He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said, "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »
Amen, Beacon and Jim! We are glad that you, Marelis, have been blessed by reading and meditating upon the loveliness of Jesus as expressed in this thread!

As I contemplate the loveliness of Jesus afresh and appreciate what He has done and is doing to save each of to the uttermost, it is so encouraging to know that His character--His grace--melts and changes the heart to come to reflect His character with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. Unmistakable conversion is always accompanied by utter humility, for we glory in the cross and not in ourselves.

"The ordinances that point to our Lord's humiliation and suffering are regarded too much as a form. They were instituted for a purpose. Our senses need to be quickened to lay hold of the mystery of godliness. It is the privilege of all to comprehend, far more than we do, the expiatory sufferings of Christ. 'As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,' even so has the Son of man been lifted up, 'that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.' John 3:14, 15. To the cross of Calvary, bearing a dying Saviour, we must look. Our eternal interests demand that we show faith in Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 660, paragraph 2}

I so appreciate that the Christian life is not a form, not a round of ceremonies, but a rich, meaningful reality lived in union and communion with Christ as we partake of a mystery at which angels marvel! We, repentant sinners, are elevated in character to become adopted sons and daughters of God, going forth to diffuse the light of His love!