Author Topic: In Defesne of Virtue, a Message for Ben Carson  (Read 4908 times)

colporteur

In Defesne of Virtue, a Message for Ben Carson
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »
This letter is written at a time when it appears that Dr. Carson may be Donald Trump's choice for running mate as vice president.

In Defense of Virtue: An Open Letter To Dr. Ben Carson

Dave Westbrook

March 25 2016

Dear Dr. Carson,

I’m writing to you as a fellow Christian and father of a child who’s life you saved many years ago.

Our family will always be grateful for those gifted hands that God used to spare little Allison’s life after an unfortunate birth injury. By the way, she’s doing well. In fact, she just turned 18 and has committed her life to following Christ, for which we are very thankful.

I mention this so you’ll understand that I have a lot of love in my heart for you. I’m not writing out of hostility or with some political agenda in mind. This is from my heart to yours, and I hope you’ll receive it in that light.

When you started your campaign for president, you embarked on a new and different path – one founded on Christian principles. You upheld honesty as of paramount importance to you, as well as being circumspect and polite in all of your interactions.

This was not only refreshing, it was amazingly different, and millions of Americans (and fellow Seventh-day Adventists) rallied behind you. It was remarkable to see you unapologetically state your commitment to Christian values, and even more impressive to see you actually exemplify those values in your interactions – even in the face of withering attacks.

Certainly for many of us, the most painful of those attacks came when Donald Trump verbally bludgeoned you – day after day – questioning your honesty, stating that you had fabricated your life story, mocking your personal conversion experience, and even comparing you to a pedophile.

In the wake of these attacks, we sadly watched your poll numbers fall. But more than that, we were disheartened to watch the demise of your influence and legacy.

But Dr. Carson, nothing could have prepared me for the ache in the pit of my stomach I’ve had for several weeks now since you’ve taken a whole new and surprising turn.

In endorsing Donald Trump, you have assured us that all of those malicious attacks and lies against you were merely political – nothing more than “the politics of personal destruction”, and that we should simply overlook all of that and follow you on a new and different path “for the good of our nation”.

You have told us that in reality there are two Donald Trumps – the one we all see on stage, and another one who is more noble.

You have encouraged us to dismiss the vulgarity, profanity, disparaging women for their looks, lying to assassinate the character of people who oppose him, referring to people he doesn’t like as “dumb”, “stupid”, “bimbos”, etc., boasting about the size of his genitalia, not to mention the notion of rewarding the “school bully” and the message that sends our kids. Apparently, all of this is irrelevant to your endorsement and promotion of the man.

Yet the Bible asks, “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” Amos 3:3

My point here is about Christian character as it relates to who and what we endorse and promote.

This is about virtue.

If you voluntarily publicly endorse and promote another man – you are unavoidably connecting yourself to his values or lack thereof.

On your Facebook page, you are being likened to Daniel or Joseph. But we have no record that either Daniel or Joseph ever willingly campaigned, promoted or endorsed the heathen men they served under as foreign captives.

What troubles me most Dr. Carson, is what I hear you saying now.

Just this week on “The View” you stated:

“When you’re very nice, you’re very respectful, you talk about the real issues…where does it get you? It gets you where it got me – no where.”

When asked about endorsing a candidate and campaign characterized by lies, you responded:

“Tell me a politician who doesn’t tell lies…”

When one of the hosts shared her concern about possible racist views held by the candidate and campaign you are endorsing, you’re response was:

“What’s the alternative?”

As you said, “We have to work with what we’ve got…”

This is the ultimate example of: “If you can’t beat em, join em!”

Dr. Carson, I know you want to save America. You and I both know what the Bible predicts for this country’s future, and yet I can appreciate your desire to stem the tide and “hold back” the winds for the saving of souls. But there’s no saving America without virtue.

If it’s not about integrity and honesty, if it’s not about virtue – there’s no point. These values are at your core. By shrugging off the importance of these values now – you’re ignoring principles that were at the core of our nation in it’s founding. Our forefathers made clear that virtue is essential to the success of our government.

It was hard to watch others destroy you by their vicious attacks. It’s much harder now to watch you destroy yourself by abandoning the principles you stood for in the beginning. Please stop!

Dr. Carson, have the courage to stand again – for yourself and for the right.

We don’t need yet another voice telling us that we simply have to accept low morals – because after all that’s just the way politics works.

We don’t need reminders that all politicians lie.

We need you to call us to a higher standard of truth and integrity.

We need you to remind us that even though being kind and respectful and talking about the real issues didn’t get you the nomination – it’s still the only correct path for the true Christian.

We need you to demonstrate that you don’t have to lower yourself to endorsing values that are at cross purposes with Godly principles in order to have a positive influence in this world.

We need you to point us to a better way, a higher path. Point us to that which counts for eternity – the path of virtue.

“For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” Mark 8:36

It’s not too late to rescind your endorsement. It will take courage, but it will be worth it.

It will send a clarion call, and bring courage to many to look upward and follow the path of virtue.

Millions are watching…

This is your moment…

Will you take a stand?

Your Friend,

Dave Westbrook

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: In Defesne of Virtue, a Message for Ben Carson
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »
Amen. And, coming from a friend, it will have influence with Dr. Carson.  It is a cutting rebuke, but spoken with great love. Hopefully it will cause Dr. Carson to consider spending more time with Jesus and less time with politicians. It is a matter of life and death, eternal life and eternal death.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »
Amen. And, coming from a friend, it will have influence with Dr. Carson.  It is a cutting rebuke, but spoken with great love. Hopefully it will cause Dr. Carson to consider spending more time with Jesus and less time with politicians. It is a matter of life and death, eternal life and eternal death.

An SDA on another "conservative" forum did not reply in the same manner. He said the message sounded high and mighty and asked how Dave W could know that this is not what God wants.

How could God want one of His spokesman to compromise so much and endorse someone who spews cursing every time he is afraid and challenged ?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
In my mind, this is not a political matter, but a spiritual one. It requires spiritual discernment in order to see the sin involved. Dave expressed the Biblical truth, reproved the sin, and did so with much love. He did what God would have Carson do, reflect the character of God.....as we all ought to be doing.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »
Most likely Dr. Carson walked by faith when doing those miracle surgeries or else he would not have been so successful. However, somewhere along the line I believe, he has shifted to walking by sight. He speaks as one who views many things from a worldly perspective. He has publically stated in like "that all politicians lie."  Does he lie ? Constantly making rationalizing, yet irrational statements like that to justify following the world's ways gets him into much trouble. I believe that it was a spiritual confusion that led Dr. Carson into politics in the first place. He wants to save the country. Well, we all do, but some of us discern the signs, believe the Scriptures, follow the trend of events, and realize that the kingdom of God is not of this world and our mission is not to seek to create a paradise here. It is a matter of keeping things in  perspective and seeing the bigger picture. There may be a fine line between that of being a humanitarian and neglecting the spiritual and visa versa. It seems that Dr. Carson has fallen off of the humanitarian side of the beam. There are many things regarding Bible prophesy that Dr. Carson seems to be confused about and questions. He appears uncertain as to how to react to the calamity this country and this world is facing.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:08:56 AM »
Yes, cp. The truth is there for the world to see. What we say and do in public reveals who it is we serve. Dave has expressed the difficulty quite well. Let us pray that the doctor will humble himself and heed the counsel.

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 04:42:20 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/10/14/ben-carson-msnbc-trump-groping-allegations-sot.cnn

The way this was handled is so problematic. Dr. Carson said that "it does not matter whether Donald Trump's female accusers are lying or not because we are going off a cliff." Why did he go there ? He was asked if he believes that the ladies that accuse DT of fondling them are lying. Why answer" it does not matter, shut off her mic"?. At the least he could have replied, " I don't know whether or not the ladies are telling the truth. This is politics and they may be telling the truth and they may not be. We are going off a cliff." But to say "that this does not matter" is to use very poor judgment and he was called on it. This is another indicator of a people in panic mode. We have been told in prophecy that the train would go off the cliff. The problem is that Dr. Carson who should have been able to see this coming has been somewhat in denial and now he is willing to make rash statements in order to save Donald Trump. If DT is really the solution and since God sets up kings and takes down kings why does Dr. Carson need to say it does not matter if a man is sexually deviant or not ? If we are trusting in God we need not go into a carnal panic mode and we need not worry if someone perceives us as the "bad guy" as long as we tell the truth.. Politics has brought out the worst in Dr. Carson. That's what happens when one climbs into that arena. Personally, though I am not worried about it, this is not the press that will aid those who are giving the Three Angel's Messages. It is not helpful.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 08:53:13 AM »
The way this was handled is so problematic. Dr. Carson said that "it does not matter whether Donald Trump's female accusers are lying or not because we are going off a cliff."
This is sad to hear. Dr. Carson is a smart man he should know better than to try and answer by saying such a thing. Now our church takes yet another smearing. It appears that he has enter politics and has become one of them. :(
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
The way this was handled is so problematic. Dr. Carson said that "it does not matter whether Donald Trump's female accusers are lying or not because we are going off a cliff."
This is sad to hear. Dr. Carson is a smart man he should know better than to try and answer by saying such a thing. Now our church takes yet another smearing. It appears that he has enter politics and has become one of them. :(

Yes, when one resorts to fighting fire with fire he is apt to get burnt.  Dr. Carson was obviously very good at handling pressure when in surgery but when it comes to handling it in politics it gets under his skin.