Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--64--A Doomed People  (Read 50888 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--64--A Doomed People
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 04:58:37 AM »
I really love spending the early morning hours with Jesus. He calls us deeper to His heart. In reading about Christ cursing the fig tree, it may seem mysterious. “And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it” (Mark 11:13-14). Why did He do this? “God is love” (1 John 4:16). But like the photos shown little kids at school about the dangers and damage done by drug use, Jesus had to forewarn His impenitent, fruitless people of their eternal loss if they did not respond to His call to be married to Him in true repentance. May we heed the call by beholding the loveliness of Jesus, accepting His shed blood for us. May we cooperate with His divine grace to overcome every defect in our characters, that, abiding in Him, we may have Him bring forth through us all of the fruits of the Spirit, so not one is missing (Galatians 5:22-23). This is the inevitable result of union and communion with Christ by genuine righteousness by faith.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 06:11:37 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. And, there is another lesson that many seem to overlook. While we do not have to be so harsh in our words, when we have given our hearts fully to Christ, we shall not pass by those who like Israel are rejecting God's grace without warning them of impending judgment. It is not love to let others die without warning them.

This is present truth in the church today. How so? Listen to the Words of warning and encouragement from our Savior to our church which is applicable today:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 

Warning and encouragement.

God "delighteth in mercy." "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Micah 7:18; Ezekiel 33:11. To Him the work of destruction and the denunciation of judgment is a "strange work." Isaiah 28:21. But it is in mercy and love that He lifts the veil from the future, and reveals to men the results of a course of sin.
     The cursing of the fig tree was an acted parable. That barren tree, flaunting its pretentious foliage in the very face of Christ, was a symbol of the Jewish nation. The Saviour desired to make plain to His disciples the cause and the certainty of Israel's doom. For this purpose He invested the tree with moral qualities, and made it the expositor of divine truth. The Jews stood forth distinct from all other nations, professing allegiance to God. They had been specially favored by Him, and they laid claim to righteousness above every other people. But they were corrupted by the love of the world and the greed of gain. They boasted of their knowledge, but they were ignorant of the requirements of God, and were full of hypocrisy. Like the barren tree, they spread their pretentious branches aloft, luxuriant in appearance, and beautiful to the eye, but they yielded "nothing but leaves." The Jewish religion, with its magnificent temple, its sacred altars, its mitered priests and impressive ceremonies, was indeed fair in outward appearance, but humility, love, and benevolence were lacking.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »
Oh how dangerous and disastrous is the sin of pride. While we hang on to pride it is impossible for the Holy Spirit to penetrate our hearts. God pleads, and knocks and waits for all to surrender self. Self is a terrible, irresistible enemy to the natural heart and Satan uses it to his advantage and man's destruction. None need to fall into this trap. Jesus wants to set man free but the heart must be open, humble and willing to obey. Then God performs that unexplainable miracle where He transplants His attributes into our lives and we will represent Him with all the fruit of the Spirit being manifested.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 03:13:42 AM »
Today I reflect on Jerusalem's experience by way of comparison and contrast. Whereas Israel in the time of Christ rejected Him, God's people today, His dear Seventh-day Adventist Church, will experience revival and reformation. But for all who reject the light and privileges afforded them, they will suffer even more greatly than did those Jews in the days of Christ, for the light that we have, and the responsibility that comes with that increased light, is far greater. The revelation of the loveliness of Christ's character as revealed in the Bible and in the Spirit of Prophecy, especially in the The Desire of Ages, is so bright and clear that none need err if they are willing to come learn of Him. I choose to experience through Christ the revival and reformation that He longs to bring, and my prayer is that we will take heed to the warning offered us from the heart of infinite love, that we be not deceived as to the course of a result of a life of sin. To all who believe on Christ, infinite help is freely given. Let us receive Him in full surrender moment-by-moment so His character is revealed through us, even the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in a simultaneous willingness to obey all that He reveals to us from His law.

"Christ foresaw that Jerusalem would remain obdurate and impenitent; yet all the guilt, all the consequences of rejected mercy, lay at her own door. Thus it will be with every soul who is following the same course. The Lord declares, 'O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself.' 'Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto My words, nor to My law, but rejected it.' Hosea 13:9; Jeremiah 6:19." {The Desire of Ages, page 588, paragraph 2}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 08:24:17 AM »
"In this generation there are many who are treading on the same ground as were the unbelieving Jews. They have witnessed the manifestation of the power of God; the Holy Spirit has spoken to their hearts; but they cling to their unbelief and resistance. God sends them warnings and reproof, but they are not willing to confess their errors, and they reject His message and His messenger. The very means He uses for their recovery becomes to them a stone of stumbling." 

How sad to read these words but they are true. I'm so thankful for the overwhelming evidence in God's word of His love and care so that there will be no excuse for anyone to not enter the Kingdom of God. I am also thankful for the boundaries He sets to keep us in the straight path.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 01:52:18 AM »
As God sends you light and truth, are you willing to walk in it? The reception of truth has less to do with the intellect than it does with the heart. Lucifer was a very brilliant, intelligent angel in heaven, but he chose to follow his own willful, independent course because his heart became proud and defiant. As God loves us and desires to save us, and as we are not yet in heaven, it would follow that He has more to teach us, more to reprove us about (praise God He loves us enough to tell us what we may not always find comfortable to hear), and more souls for us to be His witnesses unto. Only as we behold the loveliness of Jesus and surrender the whole soul to Him can we be profited by every ray of light that He sheds upon our path, so we in turn may be changed by that light as it is in Jesus, and then impart the blessing to those around us. Let us learn the lessons that God has given us in Israel's history, that we may experience true revival and reformation!

"In this generation there are many who are treading on the same ground as were the unbelieving Jews. They have witnessed the manifestation of the power of God; the Holy Spirit has spoken to their hearts; but they cling to their unbelief and resistance. God sends them warnings and reproof, but they are not willing to confess their errors, and they reject His message and His messenger. The very means He uses for their recovery becomes to them a stone of stumbling." {The Desire of Ages, page 587, paragraph 4}   
     "The prophets of God were hated by apostate Israel because through them their hidden sins were brought to light. Ahab regarded Elijah as his enemy because the prophet was faithful to rebuke the king's secret iniquities. So today the servant of Christ, the reprover of sin, meets with scorn and rebuffs. Bible truth, the religion of Christ, struggles against a strong current of moral impurity. Prejudice is even stronger in the hearts of men now than in Christ's day. Christ did not fulfill men's expectations; His life was a rebuke to their sins, and they rejected Him. So now the truth of God's word does not harmonize with men's practices and their natural inclination, and thousands reject its light. Men prompted by Satan cast doubt upon God's word, and choose to exercise their independent judgment. They choose darkness rather than light, but they do it at the peril of their souls. Those who caviled at the words of Christ, found ever-increased cause for cavil, until they turned from the Truth and the Life. So it is now. God does not propose to remove every objection which the carnal heart may bring against His truth. To those who refuse the precious rays of light which would illuminate the darkness, the mysteries of God's word remain such forever. From them the truth is hidden. They walk blindly, and know not the ruin before them."  {The Desire of Ages, page 587, paragraph 5} 

I choose to respond to the loving, warning voice of Jesus today and make it my sincere prayer for God to send His Holy Spirit to guide me to accept His reproof and counsel, so that in receiving the light He may reveal a more abundant harvest of the fruit of His character. Every one of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen the life of the converted Christian fully surrendered to Christ who is living a life of affectionate obedience to all His holy commandments, but there can always be a more thorough work done in our souls, a deeper transformation so that we are more like Him--changed from glory to glory, from character to character! And this is how He does it:

John 15:1-5 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

We need Jesus continually, and I pray that you will abide in Jesus today and flourish in His word that is to dwell in you richly!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:44 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. What a dire warning in today's reading. What is our reaction? Do we take it seriously? Many may not recall the times they have blindly thought they were walking with Jesus when in fact they were not. It is an easy thing to do. Our fallen nature takes over when we forget about Jesus. Peter thought himself safe when walking on water. He was not when his eyes were not on Christ.

The town of Paradise California has been destroyed by fire.  Feather River Seventh-day Adventist Hospital has burned to the ground. Some residents were trapped in the town as wind whipped the fire throughout the town. Pray for those will lose their homes and all they possess. Some will lose their lives or be injured. Satan is at work. Jesus is coming soon!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 04:43:12 AM »
If I love you because of the love of Christ in my heart, I cannot remain silent while you are about to face the seven last plagues and perish eternally. Out of love, warning must come! And it is this sentiment that moved Jesus to curse the fig tree just before His death on Calvary, because He could not leave unspoken the doom of those who would not receive Him, and were about to imbrue their hands with His blood. May we lovingly and clearly warn the world that it is soon to perish by giving the last appeal of mercy in the proclamation of the Three Angel's Messages of Revelation 14:6-12, as we live the gospel with all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing, gladly obeying all the light of the law that is revealed to us!

"God 'delighteth in mercy.' 'As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked.' Micah 7:18; Ezekiel 33:11. To Him the work of destruction and the denunciation of judgment is a 'strange work.' Isaiah 28:21. But it is in mercy and love that He lifts the veil from the future, and reveals to men the results of a course of sin." {The Desire of Ages, page 582, paragraph 2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 06:08:40 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. There are teachers who deny Jesus' work of destruction. But, here we have evidence that God does indeed destroy the wicked, bu it is a "strange work" for our God of love to have to destroy those He created and loves. He is not guilty of anything, because all have brought this upon themselves. He has allowed evil to continue for a very good reason. He is going to put an end to sin for eternity. It is necessary for all to see the power of grace and to see the result of sin, of rebellion against the government of God.

This chapter is not a pleansant one to read, but necessary to better understand God is a God of justice as well as mercy. The two are the foundation of God's government. They met at the cross. Satan has attempted to separate the two and say it is impossible for God to be both merciful and just. This is the issue in the "great controversy" between Christ and Satan.

We have been given the light as to why bad things happen to "good" people. We need to share this truth with the world who do not understand. God's justice will punish every unrepentant sinner for every sin. Satan will suffer the most. Many do not like to hear the truth and will persecute those who bring it forth. So it has been and so it will be.

The prophets of God were hated by apostate Israel because through them their hidden sins were brought to light. Ahab regarded Elijah as his enemy because the prophet was faithful to rebuke the king's secret iniquities. So today the servant of Christ, the reprover of sin, meets with scorn and rebuffs. Bible truth, the religion of Christ, struggles against a strong current of moral impurity. Prejudice is even stronger in the hearts of men now than in Christ's day. Christ did not fulfill men's expectations; His life was a rebuke to their sins, and they rejected Him. So now the truth of God's word does not harmonize with men's practices and their natural inclination, and thousands reject its light. Men prompted by Satan cast doubt upon God's word, and choose to exercise their independent judgment. They choose darkness rather than light, but they do it at the peril of their souls. Those who caviled at the words of Christ, found ever-increased cause for cavil, until they turned from the Truth and the Life. So it is now. God does not propose to remove every objection which the carnal heart may bring against His truth. To those who refuse the precious rays of light which would illuminate the darkness, the mysteries of God's word remain such forever. From them the truth is hidden. They walk blindly, and know not the ruin before them. 

Beacon

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 07:12:04 AM »
"There were Roman officers in the throng, and to them His enemies denounced Jesus as the leader of a rebellion. They represented that He was about to take possession of the temple, and reign as king in Jerusalem. But the calm voice of Jesus hushed for a moment the clamorous throng as He again declared that He had not come to establish a temporal rule; He should soon ascend to His Father, and His accusers would see Him no more until He should come again in glory. Then, too late for their salvation, they would acknowledge Him. These words Jesus spoke with sadness and with singular power. The Roman officers were silenced and subdued. Their hearts, though strangers to divine influence, were moved as they had never been moved before. In the calm, solemn face of Jesus they read love, benevolence, and quiet dignity. They were stirred by a sympathy they could not understand. Instead of arresting Jesus, they were more inclined to pay Him homage. Turning upon the priests and rulers, they charged them with creating the disturbance. These leaders, chagrined and defeated, turned to the people with their complaints, and disputed angrily among themselves."

I pray that our connection with Jesus be such that we will be enabled to respond under pressure with a " face of love, benevolence, and quiet dignity." so that all who hear us may be drawn to Jesus.

"The Jews stood forth distinct from all other nations, professing allegiance to God. They had been specially favored by Him, and they laid claim to righteousness above every other people. But they were corrupted by the love of the world and the greed of gain. They boasted of their knowledge, but they were ignorant of the requirements of God, and were full of hypocrisy. Like the barren tree, they spread their pretentious branches aloft, luxuriant in appearance, and beautiful to the eye, but they yielded "nothing but leaves."

Might we not be in the same danger. Paul said in... 2 Corinthians 13:5 "Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it".

Jesus needs and is looking for a generation of true genuine ambassadors who's whole heart and life is dedicated to Him and filled with the fruits of the Spirit. Remember Jesus said,  " The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

When Jesus comes we will either hear the words WELL DONE OR DEPART FROM ME...I NEVER KNEW YOU.   What will your choice be?? 
[/b] 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 08:11:05 PM »
"The warning is for all time. Christ's act in cursing the tree which His own power had created stands as a warning to all churches and to all Christians. No one can live the law of God without ministering to others. But there are many who do not live out Christ's merciful, unselfish life. Some who think themselves excellent Christians do not understand what constitutes service for God. They plan and study to please themselves. They act only in reference to self. Time is of value to them only as they can gather for themselves. In all the affairs of life this is their object. Not for others but for themselves do they minister."

Luke 6:31 says..."And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.Jesus demonstrated with His life the true meaning of love towards our fellow mankind and if we are truly His disciples, messengers of the Glad Tidings of the Love and Compassion that He shared with us will be passed on by His disciples of today. Perhaps today would be a good time for personal introspection to see if we are TRULY CONVERTED or more like Judas

"God created them to live in a world where unselfish service must be performed. He designed them to help their fellow men in every possible way. But self is so large that they cannot see anything else. They are not in touch with humanity. Those who thus live for self are like the fig tree, which made every pretension but was fruitless. They observe the forms of worship, but without repentance or faith. In profession they honor the law of God, but obedience is lacking. They say, but do not. In the sentence pronounced on the fig tree Christ demonstrates how hateful in His eyes is this vain pretense. He declares that the open sinner is less guilty than is he who professes to serve God, but who bears no fruit to His glory."

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 05:49:32 AM »
"All the trees in the fig orchard were destitute of fruit; but the leafless trees raised no expectation, and caused no disappointment. By these trees the Gentiles were represented. They were as destitute as were the Jews of godliness; but they had not professed to serve God. They made no boastful pretensions to goodness. They were blind to the works and ways of God. With them the time of figs was not yet. They were still waiting for a day which would bring them light and hope. The Jews, who had received greater blessings from God, were held accountable for their abuse of these gifts. The privileges of which they boasted only increased their guilt."   

As I search my heart this morning I want my true condition to be revealed to me. Am I in any way guilty of hearing but not doing? Do I walk in my own willful way? Do I cause anyone to go astray because of my words and actions? Do I turn a blind eye to those in need? When we truly seek God He will reveal to us the area's of our lives that may need surrendering. I love the early morning time with Jesus because as He speaks to me through His word He fills me with assurance and peace and goes with me through out the day. There is no other friend like Jesus.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

I am thankful for Jesus who does not want us to be deceived about our condition and our continual need of Him to do any good thing. Though it is a strong warning (in how He cursed the barren fig tree), we can see it is out of love that Jesus lets us know what will happen if we turn from His grace and pursue a course of sin. Grace transforms the sinner into a new creature--but grace and light resisted so hardens the heart and mind that when His glory is revealed, we will be destroyed--because we have destroyed ourselves by sin. God loves us and wants us to respond to His great mercy and love, for only by love is love awakened.

"God 'delighteth in mercy.' 'As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked.' Micah 7:18; Ezekiel 33:11. To Him the work of destruction and the denunciation of judgment is a 'strange work.' Isaiah 28:21. But it is in mercy and love that He lifts the veil from the future, and reveals to men the results of a course of sin." {The Desire of Ages, page 582, paragraph 3}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2019, 05:26:27 AM »
Jesus was a Man of prayer. The way He communed with His Father is such an encouragement and inspiration to us, for He is willing to give us His life of prayer in our own experience!

“The entire night Jesus spent in prayer, and in the morning He came again to the temple. On the way He passed a fig orchard. He was hungry, ‘and seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, He came, if haply He might find anything thereon: and when He came to it, He found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.’” {The Desire of Ages, page 581, paragraph 3}

It was from His times in prayer, that Jesus was able to go forth braced for the labors of the day in ministerial wisdom and grace!

Beacon

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
"The Jews stood forth distinct from all other nations, professing allegiance to God. They had been specially favored by Him, and they laid claim to righteousness above every other people. But they were corrupted by the love of the world and the greed of gain. They boasted of their knowledge, but they were ignorant of the requirements of God, and were full of hypocrisy."

"Like the barren tree, they spread their pretentious branches aloft, luxuriant in appearance, and beautiful to the eye, but they yielded "nothing but leaves." The Jewish religion, with its magnificent temple, its sacred altars, its mitered priests and impressive ceremonies, was indeed fair in outward appearance, but humility, love, and benevolence were lacking."

Have we not also been favored by Jesus?  Might not we also have been corrupted by the love of the world? As Jesus looks at our lives does He see a beautiful tree with leaves and fruit? or are we also lacking the fruit of humility, love and benevolence?

My Prayer  today and hopefully yours also, is found in Psalm 51:9-11  Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »
This has been a very sobering chapter that ends with this foreboding warning; "Christ foresaw that Jerusalem would remain obdurate and impenitent; yet all the guilt, all the consequences of rejected mercy, lay at her own door. Thus it will be with every soul who is following the same course. The Lord declares, "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself." "Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto My words, nor to My law, but rejected it." Hosea 13:9; Jeremiah 6:19."

The good news is that there are many who will not remain in this condition. There will be a time of revival before Jesus comes and many will repent and return to their first love. We must work while it is still day. Souls are hungering for truth. We don't know who or where, that is why we must search, continually scattering the seed of truth and love. Jesus is coming so very soon. We all have loved ones that we want to see in the kingdom. What are we doing to draw them to Jesus? Do we consistently reflect His character in all circumstances? The fruit of the Spirit is often mentioned here. Do our loved ones see them revealed in our lives? There is a divinely convincing power in such a life. ---

O, Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival, start the work in me;
Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

Beacon

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »
"The Jews stood forth distinct from all other nations, professing allegiance to God. They had been specially favored by Him, and they laid claim to righteousness above every other people. But they were corrupted by the love of the world and the greed of gain. They boasted of their knowledge, but they were ignorant of the requirements of God, and were full of hypocrisy. Like the barren tree, they spread their pretentious branches aloft, luxuriant in appearance, and beautiful to the eye, but they yielded "nothing but leaves." The Jewish religion, with its magnificent temple, its sacred altars, its mitered priests and impressive ceremonies, was indeed fair in outward appearance, but humility, love, and benevolence were lacking."

"Christ foresaw that Jerusalem would remain obdurate and impenitent; yet all the guilt, all the consequences of rejected mercy, lay at her own door. Thus it will be with every soul who is following the same course. The Lord declares, "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself." "Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto My words, nor to My law, but rejected it." Hosea 13:9; Jeremiah 6:19....Prejudice is even stronger in the hearts of men now than in Christ's day. Christ did not fulfill men's expectations; His life was a rebuke to their sins, and they rejected Him. So now the truth of God's word does not harmonize with men's practices and their natural inclination, and thousands reject its light. Men prompted by Satan cast doubt upon God's word, and choose to exercise their independent judgment. They choose darkness rather than light, but they do it at the peril of their souls."

[b]Will we choose Jesus and His awesome offer of Eternal Life? Or will we listen to the voice of Evil and cast doubt upon God's Word?
[/b]
The Word of God says in Matthew 6:24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

Will we be like the Jewish nation of Jesus' day on earth or will we choose to serve Jesus who gave His life to set us free?

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 05:54:07 AM »
.....Those who thus live for self are like the fig tree, which made every pretension but was fruitless. They observe the forms of worship, but without repentance or faith. In profession they honor the law of God, but obedience is lacking. They say, but do not. In the sentence pronounced on the fig tree Christ demonstrates how hateful in His eyes is this vain pretense. He declares that the open sinner is less guilty than is he who professes to serve God, but who bears no fruit to His glory.   

I thank God for His words of counsel and warning.When we are open to what God wants to show us we will pick up precious gems that will reveal to us things that He wants to change in us. As we behold Christ we have a choice to make. Either we deny self by accepting Him with all our hearts or we let self reign fruitless and continue to keep Jesus on the outside knocking on the door of our heart.  What a sad picture. There's nothing in this world that is worth losing eternal life over.  Let's keep looking up ever beholding the loveliness of Jesus and allowing Him to awaken in us a love for Him that will change our hearts and produce all the fruits of the Spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!!! We cannot help but bear all of the fruits of the Spirit when Christ is truly abiding in us!!

Growing up, our yard had fruitless mulberry trees, and these trees were full of large, green leaves. But try as you might, you would never find a single mulberry on them. They were fruitless.

When Jesus came to the fig tree that represented the Jewish nation, He was looking for fruit. It was fruitless. Then Christ cursed it and it withered up. What is the important lesson here for us today? 

"The warning is for all time. Christ's act in cursing the tree which His own power had created stands as a warning to all churches and to all Christians. No one can live the law of God without ministering to others. But there are many who do not live out Christ's merciful, unselfish life. Some who think themselves excellent Christians do not understand what constitutes service for God. They plan and study to please themselves. They act only in reference to self. Time is of value to them only as they can gather for themselves. In all the affairs of life this is their object. Not for others but for themselves do they minister. God created them to live in a world where unselfish service must be performed. He designed them to help their fellow men in every possible way. But self is so large that they cannot see anything else. They are not in touch with humanity. Those who thus live for self are like the fig tree, which made every pretension but was fruitless. They observe the forms of worship, but without repentance or faith. In profession they honor the law of God, but obedience is lacking. They say, but do not. In the sentence pronounced on the fig tree Christ demonstrates how hateful in His eyes is this vain pretense. He declares that the open sinner is less guilty than is he who professes to serve God, but who bears no fruit to His glory."  {The Desire of Ages, page 584, paragraph 1}

When we behold the loveliness of Jesus and yield the whole heart to Him to purify by His blood and imbue the new heart He gives us with His Spirit, we cannot remain fruitless. He will bring forth in and through us by the supernatural implanting of the divine nature all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in a live of obedience to the law of God from the motive to glorify God and win souls.

May we realize that if we are not bearing fruit, it not because we are not trying hard enough, it is simply a much deeper issue: we are not converted. If we are not converted, we cannot bear the fruit of holiness that only comes from union and communion with Christ. The Jews who bore no fruit were not connected to Christ, and so they were as fruitless as the fruitless mulberry trees I grew up with. It was almost as if they did not realize that their purpose was to bear fruit. In losing sight of their purpose to glorify God (which can only happen in and through Christ), the Jews destroyed themselves. Fruitlessness in the Christian life while professing to be a Christian is a slow form of suicide, numbing us to the realization of our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing. Such a condition is a Laodicean condition, one in which the individual may know much about God and have a high profession of holiness, but yet is not fully surrendered, and thus is still separated from God (for sin separates us from God, see Isaiah 59:2).

Let us receive this lesson today and not only be converted by beholding the goodness of God and surrendering our will to Him, but let us go forth to bear the fruit He longs to see in our lives as we follow His divine leading to win souls!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. It is not good enough to know we are not converted, we need to know the solution to that problem. It is by beholding grace and allowing it into the heart that we are converted, and we need this daily. "I die daily."

I thank God for His words of counsel and warning.When we are open to what God wants to show us we will pick up precious gems that will reveal to us things that He wants to change in us. As we behold Christ we have a choice to make. Either we deny self by accepting Him with all our hearts or we let self reign fruitless and continue to keep Jesus on the outside knocking on the door of our heart.  What a sad picture. There's nothing in this world that is worth losing eternal life over.  Let's keep looking up ever beholding the loveliness of Jesus and allowing Him to awaken in us a love for Him that will change our hearts and produce all the fruits of the Spirit.[/size][/font][/color]

Amen dear Sister Dorine! Each day we have choices to make. Do we want to follow Jesus, or is our way best?

"Christ foresaw that Jerusalem would remain obdurate and impenitent; yet all the guilt, all the consequences of rejected mercy, lay at her own door. Thus it will be with every soul who is following the same course. The Lord declares, "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself." "Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto My words, nor to My law, but rejected it." Hosea 13:9; Jeremiah 6:19....Prejudice is even stronger in the hearts of men now than in Christ's day. Christ did not fulfill men's expectations; His life was a rebuke to their sins, and they rejected Him. So now the truth of God's word does not harmonize with men's practices and their natural inclination, and thousands reject its light. Men prompted by Satan cast doubt upon God's word, and choose to exercise their independent judgment. They choose darkness rather than light, but they do it at the peril of their souls."

Will we choose Jesus and His awesome offer of Eternal Life? Or will we listen to the voice of Evil and cast doubt upon God's Word?

Amen Brother Beacon! We must choose each day whom we shall serve.

The disciples saw the hatred of the Jews to Christ, but they did not yet see to what it would lead. They did not yet understand the true condition of Israel, nor comprehend the retribution that was to fall upon Jerusalem. This Christ opened to them by a significant object lesson.       The last appeal to Jerusalem had been in vain. The priests and rulers had heard the prophetic voice of the past echoed by the multitude, in answer to the question, "Who is this?" but they did not accept it as the voice of Inspiration. In anger and amazement they tried to silence the people. There were Roman officers in the throng, and to them His enemies denounced Jesus as the leader of a rebellion.

So it is today. Many see the rebellion and the problems in our churches, but they do not understand what is wrong and where it will lead. Somehow they think it will just away. It will not. There is a crisis in the church that will not be healed. Rebellion is as witchcraft. The rebellion is not just against the World Church, it is also against God and His Word. There is a price to pay when the Laodicean Church message is not understood and followed.