Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--64--A Doomed People  (Read 3509 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--64--A Doomed People
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 04:58:37 AM »
I really love spending the early morning hours with Jesus. He calls us deeper to His heart. In reading about Christ cursing the fig tree, it may seem mysterious. “And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it” (Mark 11:13-14). Why did He do this? “God is love” (1 John 4:16). But like the photos shown little kids at school about the dangers and damage done by drug use, Jesus had to forewarn His impenitent, fruitless people of their eternal loss if they did not respond to His call to be married to Him in true repentance. May we heed the call by beholding the loveliness of Jesus, accepting His shed blood for us. May we cooperate with His divine grace to overcome every defect in our characters, that, abiding in Him, we may have Him bring forth through us all of the fruits of the Spirit, so not one is missing (Galatians 5:22-23). This is the inevitable result of union and communion with Christ by genuine righteousness by faith.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 06:11:37 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. And, there is another lesson that many seem to overlook. While we do not have to be so harsh in our words, when we have given our hearts fully to Christ, we shall not pass by those who like Israel are rejecting God's grace without warning them of impending judgment. It is not love to let others die without warning them.

This is present truth in the church today. How so? Listen to the Words of warning and encouragement from our Savior to our church which is applicable today:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 

Warning and encouragement.

God "delighteth in mercy." "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Micah 7:18; Ezekiel 33:11. To Him the work of destruction and the denunciation of judgment is a "strange work." Isaiah 28:21. But it is in mercy and love that He lifts the veil from the future, and reveals to men the results of a course of sin.
     The cursing of the fig tree was an acted parable. That barren tree, flaunting its pretentious foliage in the very face of Christ, was a symbol of the Jewish nation. The Saviour desired to make plain to His disciples the cause and the certainty of Israel's doom. For this purpose He invested the tree with moral qualities, and made it the expositor of divine truth. The Jews stood forth distinct from all other nations, professing allegiance to God. They had been specially favored by Him, and they laid claim to righteousness above every other people. But they were corrupted by the love of the world and the greed of gain. They boasted of their knowledge, but they were ignorant of the requirements of God, and were full of hypocrisy. Like the barren tree, they spread their pretentious branches aloft, luxuriant in appearance, and beautiful to the eye, but they yielded "nothing but leaves." The Jewish religion, with its magnificent temple, its sacred altars, its mitered priests and impressive ceremonies, was indeed fair in outward appearance, but humility, love, and benevolence were lacking.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »
Oh how dangerous and disastrous is the sin of pride. While we hang on to pride it is impossible for the Holy Spirit to penetrate our hearts. God pleads, and knocks and waits for all to surrender self. Self is a terrible, irresistible enemy to the natural heart and Satan uses it to his advantage and man's destruction. None need to fall into this trap. Jesus wants to set man free but the heart must be open, humble and willing to obey. Then God performs that unexplainable miracle where He transplants His attributes into our lives and we will represent Him with all the fruit of the Spirit being manifested.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 03:13:42 AM »
Today I reflect on Jerusalem's experience by way of comparison and contrast. Whereas Israel in the time of Christ rejected Him, God's people today, His dear Seventh-day Adventist Church, will experience revival and reformation. But for all who reject the light and privileges afforded them, they will suffer even more greatly than did those Jews in the days of Christ, for the light that we have, and the responsibility that comes with that increased light, is far greater. The revelation of the loveliness of Christ's character as revealed in the Bible and in the Spirit of Prophecy, especially in the The Desire of Ages, is so bright and clear that none need err if they are willing to come learn of Him. I choose to experience through Christ the revival and reformation that He longs to bring, and my prayer is that we will take heed to the warning offered us from the heart of infinite love, that we be not deceived as to the course of a result of a life of sin. To all who believe on Christ, infinite help is freely given. Let us receive Him in full surrender moment-by-moment so His character is revealed through us, even the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in a simultaneous willingness to obey all that He reveals to us from His law.

"Christ foresaw that Jerusalem would remain obdurate and impenitent; yet all the guilt, all the consequences of rejected mercy, lay at her own door. Thus it will be with every soul who is following the same course. The Lord declares, 'O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself.' 'Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto My words, nor to My law, but rejected it.' Hosea 13:9; Jeremiah 6:19." {The Desire of Ages, page 588, paragraph 2}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 08:24:17 AM »
"In this generation there are many who are treading on the same ground as were the unbelieving Jews. They have witnessed the manifestation of the power of God; the Holy Spirit has spoken to their hearts; but they cling to their unbelief and resistance. God sends them warnings and reproof, but they are not willing to confess their errors, and they reject His message and His messenger. The very means He uses for their recovery becomes to them a stone of stumbling." 

How sad to read these words but they are true. I'm so thankful for the overwhelming evidence in God's word of His love and care so that there will be no excuse for anyone to not enter the Kingdom of God. I am also thankful for the boundaries He sets to keep us in the straight path.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 01:52:18 AM »
As God sends you light and truth, are you willing to walk in it? The reception of truth has less to do with the intellect than it does with the heart. Lucifer was a very brilliant, intelligent angel in heaven, but he chose to follow his own willful, independent course because his heart became proud and defiant. As God loves us and desires to save us, and as we are not yet in heaven, it would follow that He has more to teach us, more to reprove us about (praise God He loves us enough to tell us what we may not always find comfortable to hear), and more souls for us to be His witnesses unto. Only as we behold the loveliness of Jesus and surrender the whole soul to Him can we be profited by every ray of light that He sheds upon our path, so we in turn may be changed by that light as it is in Jesus, and then impart the blessing to those around us. Let us learn the lessons that God has given us in Israel's history, that we may experience true revival and reformation!

"In this generation there are many who are treading on the same ground as were the unbelieving Jews. They have witnessed the manifestation of the power of God; the Holy Spirit has spoken to their hearts; but they cling to their unbelief and resistance. God sends them warnings and reproof, but they are not willing to confess their errors, and they reject His message and His messenger. The very means He uses for their recovery becomes to them a stone of stumbling." {The Desire of Ages, page 587, paragraph 4}   
     "The prophets of God were hated by apostate Israel because through them their hidden sins were brought to light. Ahab regarded Elijah as his enemy because the prophet was faithful to rebuke the king's secret iniquities. So today the servant of Christ, the reprover of sin, meets with scorn and rebuffs. Bible truth, the religion of Christ, struggles against a strong current of moral impurity. Prejudice is even stronger in the hearts of men now than in Christ's day. Christ did not fulfill men's expectations; His life was a rebuke to their sins, and they rejected Him. So now the truth of God's word does not harmonize with men's practices and their natural inclination, and thousands reject its light. Men prompted by Satan cast doubt upon God's word, and choose to exercise their independent judgment. They choose darkness rather than light, but they do it at the peril of their souls. Those who caviled at the words of Christ, found ever-increased cause for cavil, until they turned from the Truth and the Life. So it is now. God does not propose to remove every objection which the carnal heart may bring against His truth. To those who refuse the precious rays of light which would illuminate the darkness, the mysteries of God's word remain such forever. From them the truth is hidden. They walk blindly, and know not the ruin before them."  {The Desire of Ages, page 587, paragraph 5} 

I choose to respond to the loving, warning voice of Jesus today and make it my sincere prayer for God to send His Holy Spirit to guide me to accept His reproof and counsel, so that in receiving the light He may reveal a more abundant harvest of the fruit of His character. Every one of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen the life of the converted Christian fully surrendered to Christ who is living a life of affectionate obedience to all His holy commandments, but there can always be a more thorough work done in our souls, a deeper transformation so that we are more like Him--changed from glory to glory, from character to character! And this is how He does it:

John 15:1-5 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

We need Jesus continually, and I pray that you will abide in Jesus today and flourish in His word that is to dwell in you richly!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:44 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. What a dire warning in today's reading. What is our reaction? Do we take it seriously? Many may not recall the times they have blindly thought they were walking with Jesus when in fact they were not. It is an easy thing to do. Our fallen nature takes over when we forget about Jesus. Peter thought himself safe when walking on water. He was not when his eyes were not on Christ.

The town of Paradise California has been destroyed by fire.  Feather River Seventh-day Adventist Hospital has burned to the ground. Some residents were trapped in the town as wind whipped the fire throughout the town. Pray for those will lose their homes and all they possess. Some will lose their lives or be injured. Satan is at work. Jesus is coming soon!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.