Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--62--The Feast at Simon's House  (Read 4111 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--62--The Feast at Simon's House
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. If we could see a more accurate of who we really are, we would love Jesus more. Why? Because those who have been forgiven much, love much. I saw something so very sad this morning, I had not really noticed before, not the degree I did this morning. The disciples had opportunity to bless Jesus, when they did not. Remember how Jesus longed for human sympathy when in the Garden sweating blood? How very sad! There was another time when the disciples had opportunity, actually there were many, but this time was when Simon and Judas hurt Jesus by hurting Mary. But, when we acknowledge His love for us, we cause His heart to be merry. What was the result of Mary's act of love when she poured out the perfume? At the time of greatest darkness for our Lord, it encouraged Him. Such a thought, that we might encourage our Lord!!

He walked alone when put upon by wicked men. But, there were opportunities to bless Him, and Mary did greatly. May we also return a bit of the love He has for us.

The fragrant gift which Mary had thought to lavish upon the dead body of the Saviour she poured upon His living form. At the burial its sweetness could only have pervaded the tomb; now it gladdened His heart with the assurance of her faith and love. Joseph of Arimathaea and Nicodemus offered not their gift of love to Jesus in His life. With bitter tears they brought their costly spices for His cold, unconscious form. The women who bore spices to the tomb found their errand in vain, for He had risen. But Mary, pouring out her love upon the Saviour while He was conscious of her devotion, was anointing Him for the burial. And as He went down into the darkness of His great trial, He carried with Him the memory of that deed, an earnest of the love that would be His from His redeemed ones forever.   

"as He went down into the darkness of His great trial, He carried with Him the memory of that deed." We do not half understand the results of the actions in our lives, both for good and bad.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »
We have opportunity today to bless Jesus. The last message of warning is going forth today. It is the righteousness of Christ. As we lift up Jesus, we can bless Jesus in the same manner as did Mary when she poured out the ointment that the Holy Spirit moved her to do. The grace of Christ will be seen as to be the power of the Holy Spirit in transforming lives.

The fragrant gift which Mary had thought to lavish upon the dead body of the Saviour she poured upon His living form. At the burial its sweetness could only have pervaded the tomb; now it gladdened His heart with the assurance of her faith and love. Joseph of Arimathaea and Nicodemus offered not their gift of love to Jesus in His life. With bitter tears they brought their costly spices for His cold, unconscious form. The women who bore spices to the tomb found their errand in vain, for He had risen. But Mary, pouring out her love upon the Saviour while He was conscious of her devotion, was anointing Him for the burial. And as He went down into the darkness of His great trial, He carried with Him the memory of that deed, an earnest of the love that would be His from His redeemed ones forever.   

We have opportunity to pour out our love for our Savior.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 07:03:00 AM »
"When to human eyes her case appeared hopeless, Christ saw in Mary capabilities for good. He saw the better traits of her character. The plan of redemption has invested humanity with great possibilities, and in Mary these possibilities were to be realized. Through His grace she became a partaker of the divine nature. The one who had fallen, and whose mind had been a habitation of demons, was brought very near to the Saviour in fellowship and ministry. It was Mary who sat at His feet and learned of Him. It was Mary who poured upon His head the precious anointing oil, and bathed His feet with her tears. Mary stood beside the cross, and followed Him to the sepulcher. Mary was first at the tomb after His resurrection. It was Mary who first proclaimed a risen Saviour.
     Jesus knows the circumstances of every soul. You may say, I am sinful, very sinful. You may be; but the worse you are, the more you need Jesus. He turns no weeping, contrite one away. He does not tell to any all that He might reveal, but He bids every trembling soul take courage. Freely will He pardon all who come to Him for forgiveness and restoration."

Since reading today's chapter my love for my Saviour has deepened.  We see in each person's situation a revelation of God's love. All glory belongs to Him. 

I see in Mary a simple, innocent, childlike faith in Jesus that He needs from each one of us. Like Mary I want to be found where ever Jesus is.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Amen, Richard and Dorine! What a privilege we have to behold the loveliness of Jesus and to be able to experience the transformation of character that God's grace wrought in Mary's soul.

"Christ delighted in the earnest desire of Mary to do the will of her Lord. He accepted the wealth of pure affection which His disciples did not, would not, understand. The desire that Mary had to do this service for her Lord was of more value to Christ than all the precious ointment in the world, because it expressed her appreciation of the world's Redeemer. It was the love of Christ that constrained her. The matchless excellence of the character of Christ filled her soul. That ointment was a symbol of the heart of the giver. It was the outward demonstration of a love fed by heavenly streams until it overflowed." {The Desire of Ages, page 564, paragraph 5}

This is why beholding Jesus is so powerful--it will fill our souls and we will overflow with His love toward a world lying in sin and sorrow. Let us remember how much Jesus means to us, let us spend daily this "thoughtful hour" upon His life and the closing scenes of His experience, and we will be made His witnesses!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 04:35:35 AM »
The disciples were not like Judas. They loved the Saviour. But they did not rightly appreciate His exalted character. Had they realized what He had done for them, they would have felt that nothing bestowed upon Him was wasted. The wise men from the East, who knew so little of Jesus, had shown a truer appreciation of the honor due Him. They brought precious gifts to the Saviour, and bowed in homage before Him when He was but a babe, and cradled in a manger. 

How dull and short sighted our minds can be sometimes. I will not pretend to be or say that I'm better than the disciples because I know fully well the long road it has been for Christ to get them this far so I just can't help but wonder if our prayers should include a request to have our eyes, ears, and mind open a little more each day to the true greatness of our Savior. Which is one of the reasons why I enjoy coming to this particular message area.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 04:43:00 AM »
Amen, Jim! We have so much more to grasp, appreciate, and comprehend of our Savior's love! What a blessing it is to behold Jesus' loveliness manifest in saving sinners and transforming them into saints, as He did with Mary!

"Jesus knows the circumstances of every soul. You may say, I am sinful, very sinful. You may be; but the worse you are, the more you need Jesus. He turns no weeping, contrite one away. He does not tell to any all that He might reveal, but He bids every trembling soul take courage. Freely will He pardon all who come to Him for forgiveness and restoration." {The Desire of Ages, page 568, paragraph 3}

Mary was drawn by Christ's love, and her whole soul was transformed. I praise God that "the worse you are, the more you need Jesus." That is where any true strength in the Christian life comes from--realizing our incredible sinfulness and need, we cast ourselves at the feet of Jesus, daily spend this "thoughtful hour" beholding His loveliness, and we are being changed by being made partakers of the divine nature! What a promise! What a blessed experience of character that enables us to go forth to bless others with a living testimony of His matchless grace!! Hallelujah!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 07:23:44 AM »
The thought that comes to my mind as I read this incredible chapter of God's love and mercy is that it's not 'what' we do and say but 'why' we do and say them that is most important.  (I'm not suggesting that what we do and say are not important but we may judge someone unfairly because we do not know the motives of their heart. As a result we could discourage them and chase them from the very source of help they need.)That's why we are told that man looks upon the outward appearance but God looks upon the heart.     

Our reading points this fact out in the lives of Judas, Mary, Simon, and the disciples. Yes Mary's sins were great but God's grace was greater and because of it Mary loved Jesus with a heart that knew no limits. She was by His side to the bitter end. I want that kind of love for my Saviour in all circumstances I find myself in.

Give me a new heart today Lord that I may worship you and live for you in spirit and in truth. Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »
Amen, Sister Doreen. Jesus looks upon the heart. He sees the motive of why we do what we do.

Many fail to understand why Jesus dealt with Judas as He did. Yes, He loved Judas, and yes, He bore with him patiently in an effort to save him. But, there is more as to why Jesus did not send him away or did not reprove him openly. We ought to give heed to His wisdom in our dealing with those who are in rebellion.

And though charged with being a thief, Judas would have gained sympathy, even among the disciples. The Saviour reproached him not, and thus avoided giving him an excuse for his treachery. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 03:43:02 AM »
My heart is afresh encouraged by the loveliness of Jesus and how much He cares about me and each of us who are very sinful, and who are very dear to His heart. He came not to condemn, but to save. The more sinful and weak we realize ourselves to be, the more we need Jesus. May our hearts overflow with love for Christ because of His love for us, even as Mary's whole life was transformed by the infinite love of God in Christ.

"Jesus knows the circumstances of every soul. You may say, I am sinful, very sinful. You may be; but the worse you are, the more you need Jesus. He turns no weeping, contrite one away. He does not tell to any all that He might reveal, but He bids every trembling soul take courage. Freely will He pardon all who come to Him for forgiveness and restoration." {The Desire of Ages, page 568, paragraph 3}

I need Jesus very much. But He will give me and each of us courage to overcome our sins, motivated in each moment by His love. His perfect love casts out fear!   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! The power of God's love, grace, is so very powerful! If we would but behold it each day we would become like Him in character. I especially liked the truth we read in today's chapter, that we may be partakers of God's divine nature. That does not mean we become God, but that in connecting ourselves fully with Christ, we are empowered to do good. We being filled with the Holy Spirit, are filled with His character of love joy and peace! What an opportunity! I also was impressed with the truth that like Mary, we may be a great blessing to others as she was a blessing to Jesus while He lived. Nicodemus and Joseph of did not come forth while He lived. When He hung up on the cross they then came forward and gave much in order that He would be buried properly. We too may today be a blessing to others while they live.