Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--63--Thy King Cometh  (Read 2758 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--63--Thy King Cometh
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:41 AM »
"Reports have reached the rulers in Jerusalem that Jesus is approaching the city with a great concourse of people. But they have no welcome for the Son of God. In fear they go out to meet Him, hoping to disperse the throng. As the procession is about to descend the Mount of Olives, it is intercepted by the rulers. They inquire the cause of the tumultuous rejoicing. As they question, "Who is this?" the disciples, filled with the spirit of inspiration, answer this question. In eloquent strains they repeat the prophecies concerning Christ:
     Adam will tell you, It is the seed of the woman that shall bruise the serpent's head. 
     Ask Abraham, he will tell you, It is "Melchizedek King of Salem," King of Peace. Genesis 14:18.
     Jacob will tell you, He is Shiloh of the tribe of Judah.  { 
     Isaiah will tell you, "Immanuel," "Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 7:14; 9:6. 
     Jeremiah will tell you, The Branch of David, "the Lord our Righteousness." Jeremiah 23:6. 
     Daniel will tell you, He is the Messiah. 
     Hosea will tell you, He is "the Lord God of hosts; the Lord is His memorial." Hosea 12:5. 
     John the Baptist will tell you, He is "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29.   
     The great Jehovah has proclaimed from His throne, "This is My beloved Son." Matthew 3:17.   
     We, His disciples, declare, This is Jesus, the Messiah, the Prince of life, the Redeemer of the world. 
     And the prince of the powers of darkness acknowledges Him, saying, "I know Thee who Thou art, the Holy One of God." Mark 1:24"

This passage stirs my heart this morning in a way that words can not express. I have followed the crowd, imagined the excitement of what was expected to happen, the sudden gloom as Jesus weeps with agony over Jerusalem, the rulers arrogant interruption hoping to draw attention and authority away from Jesus and back to themselves asks the question, "Who is this?" 

I want to join with the disciples and shout from the mountain top.....He is my Redeemer, my King of Kings, Lord of Lords, He has rescued me from the bondage of sin, He is coming very soon to usher His people into the glorious heavenly city on high. Praise God I am free at last. My eyes are fixed on Jesus as I realize my frail, human condition, knowing all things work together for good to those who love God.  To love God means more than just believing in Him. It requires obedience to all His requirements.

May God grant us courage to faithfully stand for Him no matter the circumstances we are facing.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:57 AM »
Amen, Jim and Dorine! What a blessing to behold Jesus in His triumphal entry here as His ministry comes to a culmination before the cross--for He knows that the triumphal entry would lead Him there, as those whose hearts were not open to the light of truth would plot His death.

I was moved with the thought of what we, as a church, could be, if we heeded faithfully the light that has been given to us. I rejoice that the light WILL BE RECEIVED by those who truly repent, and that there will be revival and reformation--but let us not make our Savior wait longer! Let us behold Him today and be truly converted (fully surrendered, so all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing!) God loves us! Let us look and live!

"Israel had been a favored people; God had made their temple His habitation; it was 'beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth.' Psalm 48:2. The record of more than a thousand years of Christ's guardian care and tender love, such as a father bears his only child, was there. In that temple the prophets had uttered their solemn warnings. There had the burning censers waved, while incense, mingled with the prayers of the worshipers, had ascended to God. There the blood of beasts had flowed, typical of the blood of Christ. There Jehovah had manifested His glory above the mercy seat. There the priests had officiated, and the pomp of symbol and ceremony had gone on for ages. But all this must have an end. Jesus raised His hand,--that had so often blessed the sick and suffering,--and waving it toward the doomed city, in broken utterances of grief exclaimed: 'If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace!--' Here the Saviour paused, and left unsaid what might have been the condition of Jerusalem had she accepted the help that God desired to give her,--the gift of His beloved Son. If Jerusalem had known what it was her privilege to know, and had heeded the light which Heaven had sent her, she might have stood forth in the pride of prosperity, the queen of kingdoms, free in the strength of her God-given power. There would have been no armed soldiers standing at her gates, no Roman banners waving from her walls. The glorious destiny that might have blessed Jerusalem had she accepted her Redeemer rose before the Son of God. He saw that she might through Him have been healed of her grievous malady, liberated from bondage, and established as the mighty metropolis of the earth. From her walls the dove of peace would have gone forth to all nations. She would have been the world's diadem of glory. {The Desire of Ages, page 576, paragraph 1}

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for us as His children. Let us learn from the lesson of Jerusalem's rejection of Christ, and today open our hearts to Jesus' loveliness, the very message and experience that the Holy Spirit is seeking to imbue us with, that we may show forth His praise and be a blessing to a world that is lying in darkness and misapprehension of His character.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. God will have a people who will conquer the kingdoms of this world. But, before the glory comes the cross. What an example we have as we read of the thoughts and words of our Savior as He goes forward to the cross! As Sister Dorine has said, may God give us courage to be faithful as we walk in the shadow of the cross. It is our privilege to vindicate the character of our God. It is not in pleasure or quietude, but in the midst of the great battle between good and evil. It is standing on the platform of truth when surrounded by darkness that the glory of God will be revealed in His church. It is the character that has been developed by obedience no matter what the cost that will be seen in the final act that is just in front of us. The pope has fulfilled his part, now it is only God's church that will do her part as she abides in Christ walking in the path that follows in the footsteps of our Savior.

What makes the world hate Christ and His true followers? It is their opposition to the truth. 'They stand opposed to it, for it condemns them. Thus it has always been, thus it is today, and thus it will be when the world condemns His children at the end of time, just as Israel condemned their Messiah.

Many Pharisees witnessed the scene, and, burning with envy and malice, sought to turn the current of popular feeling. With all their authority they tried to silence the people; but their appeals and threats only increased the enthusiasm. They feared that this multitude, in the strength of their numbers, would make Jesus king. As a last resort they pressed through the crowd to where the Saviour was, and accosted Him with reproving and threatening words: "Master, rebuke Thy disciples." They declared that such noisy demonstrations were unlawful, and would not be permitted by the authorities. But they were silenced by the reply of Jesus, "I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out." That scene of triumph was of God's own appointing. It had been foretold by the prophet, and man was powerless to turn aside God's purpose. Had men failed to carry out His plan, He would have given a voice to the inanimate stones, and they would have hailed His Son with acclamations of praise.

It is God's purpose and promise that there will be a church that is fully surrendered and so grounded that no matter what Satan throws at them, they will not sin. The pillars will not have to cry out, for His people will reflect the glory both He and and our heavenly Father deserve. May God grant us this privilege.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 04:03:32 AM »
Jesus loves us and desires us to accept the testimony of Scripture as to His divinity, and the fulfillment of His crowning sacrifice in humanity to atone for our sins by the shedding of His blood on Calvary. When we accept Christ by surrendering our whole heart to Him, He also gives us a living testimony--the faith of Jesus is wrought out in our experience--and we reveal the character of God as manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing and living up to the highest standard of truth we know from God's law of love!

"Yet again the Spirit of God speaks to Jerusalem. Before the day is done, another testimony is borne to Christ. The voice of witness is lifted up, responding to the call from a prophetic past. If Jerusalem will hear the call, if she will receive the Saviour who is entering her gates, she may yet be saved." {The Desire of Ages, page 578, paragraph 1}

Christ was on His triumphal entry, deeply longing that His people would repent and accept Him as the Savior. Will you respond to Jesus' pleading voice to turn to Him with your whole heart? He has something vastly better than what you would choose for yourself, for "God is love" (1 John 4:16).

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 04:35:26 AM »
This account of Jesus should stir our souls to the core. I can't help but think that Jesus is again in deep agony as He looks down upon His church today. He longs to bring us all home but He knows that time is running out. His people think they are rich and in need of nothing but He is pleading with all to open their eyes to see their true condition and repent.

"Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent....Rev. 3:1718,19"

Just as when Jesus wept over Jerusalem there was still time for them to repent; so it is with His church today. He doesn't want to let one person go. He holds out the offer to each one for a little while longer. Just one word. "Repent". Praise God for those that do hear His call and follow Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 06:48:55 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Sister Doreen. How very sad that a whole nation should reject God's grace. God's own people knew Him not!  :(    So it is in the world today. And, even His own church remains in a Laodicean state. But, there is revealed in this chapter such love for sinners. Let us not disappoint our Savior. He would have suffered and died for just one sinner.

Jerusalem had been the child of His care, and as a tender father mourns over a wayward son, so Jesus wept over the beloved city. How can I give thee up? How can I see thee devoted to destruction? Must I let thee go to fill up the cup of thine iniquity? One soul is of such value that, in comparison with it, worlds sink into insignificance; but here was a whole nation to be lost. When the fast westering sun should pass from sight in the heavens, Jerusalem's day of grace would be ended. While the procession was halting on the brow of Olivet, it was not yet too late for Jerusalem to repent. The angel of mercy was then folding her wings to step down from the golden throne to give place to justice and swift-coming judgment. But Christ's great heart of love still pleaded for Jerusalem, that had scorned His mercies, despised His warnings, and was about to imbrue her hands in His blood. If Jerusalem would but repent, it was not yet too late. While the last rays of the setting sun were lingering on temple, tower, and pinnacle, would not some good angel lead her to the Saviour's love, and avert her doom? Beautiful and unholy city, that had stoned the prophets, that had rejected the Son of God, that was locking herself by her impenitence in fetters of bondage,--her day of mercy was almost spent!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.