Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom  (Read 3760 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 05:53:40 AM »
Amen, Jim.  The words of Jesus did not bring peace to His disciples, though. Why not? The law of the new kingdom was not what they were seeking when He told them He was to die. They all had been converted, except for Judas, but they did not remain in a converted state all of the time. They thought Jesus was going to sit on an earthly throne, and they wanted to sit on an earthly throne also. They had been led astray by the teachers of that day.

How is it in our day? Do we think we can be of the world and still be in the new kingdom? Jim pointed out the answer. Do we have peace as did Jesus as He walked to His death? If we do not have this peace that passes all understanding when we are in the middle of crisis, then we do not have Jesus abiding in the heart.

But, let us clearly understand where the disciples were at this time. They were wandering in and out of conversion. As they yielded to the working of the Holy Spirit, they would yield up self. But, they did not yet understand their continual need of Jesus in order to be able to walk on water, or to be able to resist the temptation to sin. As they came to better understand the grace of God, they would be more consistent in their love of Him who was to give all that they might live.

The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, "For to me to live is Christ;" for his life revealed Christ to men; "and to die is gain,"--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. "Christ shall be magnified in my body," he said, "whether it be by life or by death." Philippians 1:21, 20.

Do we live and labor for the saving of humanity? If so, we will be filled with the fruit of the Spirit. We will manifest love, joy, and the peace that Jesus had as He walked toward Jerusalem and the cross.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 06:41:44 AM »
"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.

The human heart is all about "I." Jesus knows what we are made of and lovingly and patiently works with us to bring us into a saving relationship with Him. He does not force or compel but His living example gently woos us to Him.  Will we accept His offer to give us new hearts or because of pride and selfishness continue resisting Him. I know from experience the results of holding back. It's a heavy burden to carry. Opening my heart fully to Him was the greatest freedom I have ever known. By God's grace, I want to have the spirit of Paul...."For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

Here are two prayer songs that have become part of my morning and evening worships. They reflect the very essence of my heart.

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin'
Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.

Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.

My evening prayer song is.....

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I myself shall suffer through the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have been perverse or hard, or cold,
If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold,
When Thou hast given me some fort to hold,
Dear Lord, forgive!

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me and my keeper be,
Dear Lord, Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 08:53:29 AM »
Amen, Jim, Richard, and Dorine! I, too, was moved by the paragraph Richard noted! I appreciate those hymns you shared, Dorine! What precious words of prayer to our God are expressed therein!

Jesus desires to indwell us so His character of self-sacrifice is wrought out in our lives.

"The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that 'vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil' (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, 'For to me to live is Christ;' for his life revealed Christ to men; 'and to die is gain,'--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. 'Christ shall be magnified in my body,' he said, 'whether it be by life or by death.' Philippians 1:21, 20." {The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 3}

For the sake of Christ, let us draw near to Him in full assurance of faith. He is able to give us a saving-faith experience as we surrender all we are to Him. We can trust God no matter what comes in the future--because He knows what is best for the glory of His name!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 05:17:51 AM »
Jesus deeply loved John the beloved. Jesus loves each of us, but if we will open our hearts fully to Jesus and cleave to Him with a deep hunger and yearning for His love, He will open to us more and still more of His character (His grace). This will purify and deepen our responsive chord of love towards Jesus. We only love Him because He first loved us. Love is from God, for "God is love" (1 John 4:16). I love 1 John as my favorite book because it savors so deeply of the love of God and is the outflow of John's deep experience with Jesus. We are not called to rule over others for our benefit, but to serve and bless those whom the Lord gives us to serve. We are to behold Jesus in His infinite loveliness of character and let His experience become ours. This is greatness in God's kingdom--character like Christ's, the very One who would step down from His throne, take the risk of failure and eternal loss in being born as a helpless babe in Bethlehem, and then live a perfect life that He offers to us a sacrifice upon the cross of Calvary. His resurrection is to be our experience--and after His resurrection He went about ministering again! Let us taste this self-sacrificing love experientially and it will totally transform us!!!

"The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, 'This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.' 'Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.' 1 John 3:11, 16." {The Desire of Ages, page 551, paragraph 2}

Let us realize why the Gospel of John is so powerful--He repeated the words of Jesus. Let us read what John wrote (along with the rest of Scripture)--but let us enter into a walk with Christ that accepts what God regards as true greatness--likeness to Him in character wrought out in our lives as we experience union and communion with Christ! All of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives when we are born from above and are living by the faith of the Son of God, for His faith is that which avails to the saving of the soul.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 06:55:40 AM »
"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16.       This was the spirit that pervaded the early church. After the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, "the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that aught of the things which he possessed was his own." "Neither was there any among them that lacked." "And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all." Acts 4:32, 34, 33.

What a wonderful expression of perfect unity. God's church will see this again soon. The selfishness and independent spirit that now exists will be purified and we will see a transformation that comes from individuals who have committed their lives completely to God. Not everyone will allow this and will leave. It's going to be a painful process before it's all over but what a glorious day is before us when all God's people come together in one accord. This is not an arbitrary act on God's part. It's individuals responding to the loving call of our Father to take up their cross and follow Him so He then can transform lives according to His will. 

Thank you for your comments Pastor Sean. I too love the book of 1 John.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
Amen! Grace is more than a word, it is the greatest of all love. It is the power that transforms sinners into saints on this side of heaven.

This morning I was impressed with the importance of not looking unto man, not even church leadership when it comes to understanding truth. The fact that when Jesus came to His own, and His own knew Him not, is a lesson we ought to learn from. Why was the nation so deceived? Because they did not study for themselves, but rather trusted in what they were taught by fallible erring man.

God gives us teachers, and we ought to value that. But, as Paul said, we ought to go home after being taught and see if what was said is according to what is written. We must have the aid of the Holy Spirit and we must look to the Bible as the source of all truth. Is there a similar problem in the churches today? Is there unity in doctrine? Is there unity in the Spirit? Then we ought to be even more concerned. The church remains in a Laodicean condition, and many do not even understand what this means. Let heed the light given in today's reading.

In the kingdoms of the world, position meant self-aggrandizement. The people were supposed to exist for the benefit of the ruling classes. Influence, wealth, education, were so many means of gaining control of the masses for the use of the leaders. The higher classes were to think, decide, enjoy, and rule; the lower were to obey and serve. Religion, like all things else, was a matter of authority. The people were expected to believe and practice as their superiors directed. The right of man as man, to think and act for himself, was wholly unrecognized.
     Christ was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, "All things are for your sakes." 2 Corinthians 4:15.   
     "The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.   

It would be good to prayerfully study this truth. This pertains to both men and women, and even the little children as they are able to influence others. In order to be such in the kingdom of God, we need to be filled with the Spirit of God. This may be our experience today if will come to Jesus with the whole heart, just as we are.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 06:30:40 AM »
I love how John the disciples exemplifies the revelation of the fruition of the kingdom of God. John loved Jesus very deeply because He experienced the love of Christ for him very deeply. Our love for God is but the fruit of beholding and receiving that love into our souls, that we then express in life to those souls around us. May all we do today be done in His love!

"The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, 'This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.' 'Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.' 1 John 3:11, 16." {The Desire of Ages, page 551, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity."

I've had to learn lessons in this the hard way. This is where daily beholding Christ through His word and SOP brings a change of heart. The heart is softened and as we totally surrender our hearts to God the Holy Spirit is able to mold our thoughts and motives and we will possess the qualities of Christ. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. Gal. 5:22,23" A true miracle.