Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom  (Read 16093 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 05:53:40 AM »
Amen, Jim.  The words of Jesus did not bring peace to His disciples, though. Why not? The law of the new kingdom was not what they were seeking when He told them He was to die. They all had been converted, except for Judas, but they did not remain in a converted state all of the time. They thought Jesus was going to sit on an earthly throne, and they wanted to sit on an earthly throne also. They had been led astray by the teachers of that day.

How is it in our day? Do we think we can be of the world and still be in the new kingdom? Jim pointed out the answer. Do we have peace as did Jesus as He walked to His death? If we do not have this peace that passes all understanding when we are in the middle of crisis, then we do not have Jesus abiding in the heart.

But, let us clearly understand where the disciples were at this time. They were wandering in and out of conversion. As they yielded to the working of the Holy Spirit, they would yield up self. But, they did not yet understand their continual need of Jesus in order to be able to walk on water, or to be able to resist the temptation to sin. As they came to better understand the grace of God, they would be more consistent in their love of Him who was to give all that they might live.

The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, "For to me to live is Christ;" for his life revealed Christ to men; "and to die is gain,"--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. "Christ shall be magnified in my body," he said, "whether it be by life or by death." Philippians 1:21, 20.

Do we live and labor for the saving of humanity? If so, we will be filled with the fruit of the Spirit. We will manifest love, joy, and the peace that Jesus had as He walked toward Jerusalem and the cross.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 06:41:44 AM »
"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.

The human heart is all about "I." Jesus knows what we are made of and lovingly and patiently works with us to bring us into a saving relationship with Him. He does not force or compel but His living example gently woos us to Him.  Will we accept His offer to give us new hearts or because of pride and selfishness continue resisting Him. I know from experience the results of holding back. It's a heavy burden to carry. Opening my heart fully to Him was the greatest freedom I have ever known. By God's grace, I want to have the spirit of Paul...."For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

Here are two prayer songs that have become part of my morning and evening worships. They reflect the very essence of my heart.

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin'
Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.

Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.

My evening prayer song is.....

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I myself shall suffer through the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have been perverse or hard, or cold,
If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold,
When Thou hast given me some fort to hold,
Dear Lord, forgive!

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me and my keeper be,
Dear Lord, Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 08:53:29 AM »
Amen, Jim, Richard, and Dorine! I, too, was moved by the paragraph Richard noted! I appreciate those hymns you shared, Dorine! What precious words of prayer to our God are expressed therein!

Jesus desires to indwell us so His character of self-sacrifice is wrought out in our lives.

"The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that 'vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil' (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, 'For to me to live is Christ;' for his life revealed Christ to men; 'and to die is gain,'--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. 'Christ shall be magnified in my body,' he said, 'whether it be by life or by death.' Philippians 1:21, 20." {The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 3}

For the sake of Christ, let us draw near to Him in full assurance of faith. He is able to give us a saving-faith experience as we surrender all we are to Him. We can trust God no matter what comes in the future--because He knows what is best for the glory of His name!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 05:17:51 AM »
Jesus deeply loved John the beloved. Jesus loves each of us, but if we will open our hearts fully to Jesus and cleave to Him with a deep hunger and yearning for His love, He will open to us more and still more of His character (His grace). This will purify and deepen our responsive chord of love towards Jesus. We only love Him because He first loved us. Love is from God, for "God is love" (1 John 4:16). I love 1 John as my favorite book because it savors so deeply of the love of God and is the outflow of John's deep experience with Jesus. We are not called to rule over others for our benefit, but to serve and bless those whom the Lord gives us to serve. We are to behold Jesus in His infinite loveliness of character and let His experience become ours. This is greatness in God's kingdom--character like Christ's, the very One who would step down from His throne, take the risk of failure and eternal loss in being born as a helpless babe in Bethlehem, and then live a perfect life that He offers to us a sacrifice upon the cross of Calvary. His resurrection is to be our experience--and after His resurrection He went about ministering again! Let us taste this self-sacrificing love experientially and it will totally transform us!!!

"The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, 'This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.' 'Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.' 1 John 3:11, 16." {The Desire of Ages, page 551, paragraph 2}

Let us realize why the Gospel of John is so powerful--He repeated the words of Jesus. Let us read what John wrote (along with the rest of Scripture)--but let us enter into a walk with Christ that accepts what God regards as true greatness--likeness to Him in character wrought out in our lives as we experience union and communion with Christ! All of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives when we are born from above and are living by the faith of the Son of God, for His faith is that which avails to the saving of the soul.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 06:55:40 AM »
"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16.       This was the spirit that pervaded the early church. After the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, "the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that aught of the things which he possessed was his own." "Neither was there any among them that lacked." "And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all." Acts 4:32, 34, 33.

What a wonderful expression of perfect unity. God's church will see this again soon. The selfishness and independent spirit that now exists will be purified and we will see a transformation that comes from individuals who have committed their lives completely to God. Not everyone will allow this and will leave. It's going to be a painful process before it's all over but what a glorious day is before us when all God's people come together in one accord. This is not an arbitrary act on God's part. It's individuals responding to the loving call of our Father to take up their cross and follow Him so He then can transform lives according to His will. 

Thank you for your comments Pastor Sean. I too love the book of 1 John.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
Amen! Grace is more than a word, it is the greatest of all love. It is the power that transforms sinners into saints on this side of heaven.

This morning I was impressed with the importance of not looking unto man, not even church leadership when it comes to understanding truth. The fact that when Jesus came to His own, and His own knew Him not, is a lesson we ought to learn from. Why was the nation so deceived? Because they did not study for themselves, but rather trusted in what they were taught by fallible erring man.

God gives us teachers, and we ought to value that. But, as Paul said, we ought to go home after being taught and see if what was said is according to what is written. We must have the aid of the Holy Spirit and we must look to the Bible as the source of all truth. Is there a similar problem in the churches today? Is there unity in doctrine? Is there unity in the Spirit? Then we ought to be even more concerned. The church remains in a Laodicean condition, and many do not even understand what this means. Let heed the light given in today's reading.

In the kingdoms of the world, position meant self-aggrandizement. The people were supposed to exist for the benefit of the ruling classes. Influence, wealth, education, were so many means of gaining control of the masses for the use of the leaders. The higher classes were to think, decide, enjoy, and rule; the lower were to obey and serve. Religion, like all things else, was a matter of authority. The people were expected to believe and practice as their superiors directed. The right of man as man, to think and act for himself, was wholly unrecognized.
     Christ was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, "All things are for your sakes." 2 Corinthians 4:15.   
     "The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.   

It would be good to prayerfully study this truth. This pertains to both men and women, and even the little children as they are able to influence others. In order to be such in the kingdom of God, we need to be filled with the Spirit of God. This may be our experience today if will come to Jesus with the whole heart, just as we are.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 06:30:40 AM »
I love how John the disciples exemplifies the revelation of the fruition of the kingdom of God. John loved Jesus very deeply because He experienced the love of Christ for him very deeply. Our love for God is but the fruit of beholding and receiving that love into our souls, that we then express in life to those souls around us. May all we do today be done in His love!

"The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, 'This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.' 'Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.' 1 John 3:11, 16." {The Desire of Ages, page 551, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity."

I've had to learn lessons in this the hard way. This is where daily beholding Christ through His word and SOP brings a change of heart. The heart is softened and as we totally surrender our hearts to God the Holy Spirit is able to mold our thoughts and motives and we will possess the qualities of Christ. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. Gal. 5:22,23" A true miracle.

Dorine

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 05:02:42 AM »
  Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify.

Even though Jesus read the hearts of John and James and knew that the love and devotion they had for Jesus was genuine and true; He still calls it selfishness. So many times we think our motives are good but if God would reveal our hearts underlying purpose we might be shocked to see how much of self is lurking there. But then I read how Jesus saw all this and instead of rebuking them He seeks to bring them to a deeper understanding of what the law of the new kingdom is about. This warms my heart. Jesus is so gentle and merciful to all; while not compromising truth. He wins my heart everyday. I want to be just like Him.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »
“The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,—love that ‘vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, ... seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil’ (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),—love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity.” —The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 3.

Let us drink of this love today and let it flow out to all around us!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2018, 09:39:09 AM »
This truth you have revealed dear Sister is so very important. The prophet explains a truth that many do not understand, but you do. The carnal heart is evil. Praise God we can have new hearts that are not evil. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9. Satan deceives the mind so that poor sinful man does not know the truth about his heart, nor the condition of it. But, you dear Sister Dorine, understand our need to die daily to self, and to ask Jesus to take away our hearts, for it is impossible for us to give it to Him without drinking of His grace daily.

Let's take a closer look at the this important truth. "Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren." God opens the matter with the truth that the three of them James, John, and their mother are part of the whole group that are seeking the highest place in Christ's kingdom, along side of Jesus. Let us not drink of the wine Satan has poured out. Let us stand on Bible truth, that we must be born again of the Spirit and obtain a new heart that has been cleansed as white as snow wherein we love others as ourselves and God with the whole heart.

What will Satan do with the truth we have been given today? He will attempt to twist the truth to allow for unknown selfishness to exist in the hearts of those who have salvation. In other words, this is one of the great deceptions active in our church today. That unknown selfishness exists in the hearts of Christians and it will not be revealed until the very last generation. That the new heart is not really a new heart at all, but is still evil and we don't know what is in it. Pride lurks in our hearts we know nothing of, even though we love Jesus. I am reminded of the truth that says "many [that are] first shall be last; and the last first." Mark 10:31. Looking at this in context Jesus is responding to the their concern about how hard it is to enter heaven. He had just told them it is harder for the rich to enter the kingdom than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. If we are seeking to be first, as were the two disciples, we are not fit for heaven. Self must die that we love God supremely, not self. Of course that is backwards, we must love God supremely so that self is crucified. We love Him because He first loved us. It is this grace that transforms the heart.

We are standing on Scripture when we teach that the heart is what God can make holy, not our flesh. The flesh will remain corrupt until the second coming when the saints receive glorified bodies. So, where in the danger in today's reading?

We are told that James and John loved Jesus with a love that came from Christ.  "Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify." Well....is that not enough to be saved? Not if it is not a love that loves Jesus with the whole heart. How do we know this? Because the Bible tells us so. "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments [is], Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:29-31. God wants the whole heart. We can hold nothing back. We may love Jesus, but that does not prepare us to enter heaven. We can love Jesus and sin. We can love Jesus and hurt others. We can love our children and hurt them by misrepresenting Jesus. This is where Satan has been successful in perverting the gospel to allow so very many who are sincere to think they can sin and retain salvation. In our reading, as usual, we are given doctrinal truth regarding the foundation of our faith, the gospel. So, we are told that their love is a real love, that has been defiled passing through the earthliness of its human channel. Notice that the evil flesh is a problem, but it will be with us until we are by God's grace given new holy bodies. We do not believe in Holy flesh. But, we are at the same time told that Jesus is going to "deepen and purify" what? Their hearts. It is possible to have a purified heart that does not retain selfishness. It is the heart that can be holy, not the flesh. We can keep His commands even living in fallen evil flesh. But, to do so, we must give the whole heart, not 99%

Pastor Sean and Sister Dorine understand this. Our dear Sister knows the carnal heart has to go. She prays and allows Jesus will have her heart daily. "He wins my heart everyday."  She understands it is by drinking in His grace that the heart is fully surrendered. This is how the heart is won by our Lord. Grace is more than a word, it is the power that cleanses the carnal heart. If we would spend a thoughtful hour each day contemplating His love, we would be transformed into His character. We would love Jesus and our neighbors in the same manner that Christ loves us. It is the greatest of all miracles that we can have new hearts that are filled with every one of the fruits of His Spirit, not one will be missing.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
Once the carnal heart has been replaced with a heart that loves God and humanity, where is the growth? How many today are converted and ready to die? The law of the new kingdom is much different from the laws of the kingdom of this world. To die is to live. The seed when planted in the ground produces an abundant harvest. So it is with the law of the new kingdom. It takes time to understand since we have been greatly influenced by the ways of the world.

It is interesting to note that many in false religions are ready to die for their beliefs. Look at those who blow themselves up in order to attain their religious prize. Why not Christians who understand that death is only a short sleep?

The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, "This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another." "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16. 

We have too much to do, too many plans, to lay down our lives for others. Yet, Jesus had more to do than we, yet He did not only lay down His life, but suffered for every sin that every human would over commit. When we are converted we manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit. Then where is the growth after conversion? Not many are ready to die for others when first converted, but as we learn more of Christ and the plan of salvation, we grow in our understanding. We also grow in our strength of character.

God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear, but He will allow us to be tempted so that we can grow in our strength of character. We shall be able to be tempted at greater levels as we abide in Christ and gain more of the fruits. Not new fruits, because when converted the Spirit took possession of the heart and brought with Him all of the fruits, not one was missing. As we gain experience and knowledge the fruits we already have become more abundant. We love at a deeper level. We are more patient. We are able to suffer longer. And, at some point we understand and are able to see that to die for Christ and others is to not only glorify God, but will produce an abundant harvest just as has happened in the past ages.

And, after all, don't we really believe that we are only sleeping for a moment? Or do we really still have "unbelief" in the Word of God? Jesus is calling many that He may take possession of the heart and give us love, joy, and peace in this world and begin the process that will give Him more honor and glory. Let us cooperate with Him.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 07:52:28 AM »
Amen, Richard!

True character is the fruit of experiencing the law of the new kingdom. The law of God reveals to us our sinfulness and selfishness, but Jesus offers us His sinless life and will live in us as we yield to Him. Jesus takes away our guilt as we allow His blood to atone for us; He comes to live in us by the Holy Spirit, and that is when all of the fruits of the Spirit come into our lives without one missing. Let us cooperate with Him in the development of character.

"'But to sit on My right hand, and on My left,' He continued, 'is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father.' In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 1}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 08:04:03 AM »
 The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity.

This is why daily reading about Christ is a must... by beholding we become changed. In another spot in the DA (I think) she talks about how John was the most like Christ because his heart was more receptive and he always tried to place himself as close to Christ as he could. While Christ is not here physically anymore we still have His Word.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Beacon

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.  The words of Paul reveal the true dignity and honor of the Christian life: "Though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all," "not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved." 1 Corinthians 9:19; 10:33.   

Someone once said that if you want real joy in your life you must put Jesus first and foremost, Others next, and yourself last . Then and only then will you experience the most purpose filled life. So today I would encourage you all to put Jesus first, Others second, [uYourself last and you will experience much true JOY
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
"The words of Paul reveal the true dignity and honor of the Christian life: "Though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all," "not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved." 1 Corinthians 9:19; 10:33."
This is the spirit I pray for today and everyday. God's kingdom is not as the kingdoms of the world. What a marked contrast between the two.  One is for control and selfish purposes and the other is a selfless life lived in service to others and to glorify God.

Marelis

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 04:05:45 AM »

How is it in our day? Do we think we can be of the world and still be in the new kingdom? Jim pointed out the answer. Do we have peace as did Jesus as He walked to His death? If we do not have this peace that passes all understanding when we are in the middle of crisis, then we do not have Jesus abiding in the heart.
You've made me think and wonder, Br Myers. I'm trying to picture what a perpetual state of peace looks like. Is it an emotionless steady state that doesn't react to danger, threat, pain or bad news? I'm not completely convinced that experiencing fear, worry or dread in the first instance in a time of crisis means we don't have Jesus abiding in the heart. I'm reflecting on various times in my life when I've been close to the Lord then I'm in the middle of something frightful and my heart raced and thumped. Gripped by fear. But moments later have squeezed the hand of Christ and then peace and trust enveloped me.  Ought having Jesus in our heart make us shockproof?
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
Sister Marelis, what a great question! It is not the initial thought or feeling that comes to mind, but what we do with the thought or feeling. The Christian life is not one of continual happiness, but rather much suffering. When we understand that God leaves us in this world after we are converted that we might be His Witnesses, and understand why He wants this, then we may have much joy and peace amid our trials.

It is not the evil thought that is sin, but rather what we do with the thought when it comes into the mind. If we are abiding in Christ and he in US, then we will expel the evil thought and do what is right. On the cross, Jesus suffered for every sin that Humanity had ever or whatever commit. But, amid this great suffering we noticed that he saved a sinner. And, he understood that his suffering and death would save a multitude oh sinners! There is much we do not understand, but there is much that we may understand this side of Heaven. When we give our hearts fully to Christ, then the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart and brings with Him every one of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing. What are these fruits? Love joy peace longsuffering gentleness goodness Faith meekness and temperance.

All who have truly given the whole heart to Christ, will understand that the Christians life involve suffering. After conversion, we all have suffered. Some more than others. Amid our suffering the Holy Spirit lifts us above this world, and we can glory in Christ. We understand that we are his Witnesses when things go well. But when things are not going well, we are even better Witnesses of the power of Grace to transform sinners into Saints. There is no other explanation as to why amid the burning flames, a Christian can sing hymns of praise.

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 08:20:03 PM »
"The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, "This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another." "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16.

Jesus said...."Without me ye can do nothing" If we want to be useful in the service of Jesus we must come with an attitude of total surrender to Jesus for only when we are emptied of self is there space made to be filled with His Spirit and Power.

"This was the spirit that pervaded the early church. After the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, "the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that aught of the things which he possessed was his own." "Neither was there any among them that lacked." "And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all." Acts 4:32, 34, 33

May our prayer be:  " Be like Jesus this my song, In the home and in the throng,  Be like Jesus all day long, I would be like Jesus." When we are emptied of self and totally surrendered to Jesus filled with His grace and power. Then through the Holy Spirit others will take notice that we have been with Jesus and be attracted to Him. 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2019, 03:48:11 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

The loveliness of Jesus shining through us attracts others to Him. He wants to quiet our fears and give us a sure hope--the promises of His word in place of the deceptive and subtle lies of Satan that lead either to self-exaltation or to self-depreciation. We need to see our value at the foot of the cross but humbly remember that it was our sins that put Him there. Spending time with Jesus is truly transformational!

"John, the son of Zebedee, had been one of the first two disciples who had followed Jesus. He and his brother James had been among the first group who had left all for His service. Gladly they had forsaken home and friends that they might be with Him; they had walked and talked with Him; they had been with Him in the privacy of the home, and in the public assemblies. He had quieted their fears, delivered them from danger, relieved their sufferings, comforted their grief, and with patience and tenderness had taught them, till their hearts seemed linked with His, and in the ardor of their love they longed to be nearest to Him in His kingdom. At every possible opportunity, John took his place next the Saviour, and James longed to be honored with as close connection with Him." {The Desire of Ages, page 548, paragraph 1}

I really was blessed this morning to realize how Jesus quiets our fears: He does so by revealing His character in contrast with our selfish fear, for fear is a symptom of unbelief and God calls us to realize what His love can do in our hearts: "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love" (1 John 4:18). Whether the disciples knew it or not, in seeking to be first there was a sense of fear that they might not get "the highest place" if they did not make sure to ask. We need not try to ask for the highest place in God's kingdom. We are to sit at His feet, learn of Him, and let His character transform us. The result of true surrender, true character transformation, is that all of the fruits of His divine nature are manifest in our lives (see them in Galatians 5:22-23)--and not one of these beautiful traits will be lacking when Christ is reigning on the throne of the heart dispelling fear and implanting a total trust that He knows the way that is best and how He can best use us day by day!

Happy Sabbath to all in Jesus!!