Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom  (Read 16099 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »
Chap. 60 - The Law of the New Kingdom

Listen to     The Law of the New Kingdom

The time of the Passover was drawing near, and again Jesus turned toward Jerusalem. In His heart was the peace of perfect oneness with the Father's will, and with eager steps He pressed on toward the place of sacrifice. But a sense of mystery, of doubt and fear, fell upon the disciples. The Saviour "went before them: and they were amazed; and as they followed, they were afraid." 
     Again Christ called the twelve about Him, and with greater definiteness than ever before, He opened to them His betrayal and sufferings. "Behold," He said, "we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. For He shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: and they shall scourge Him, and put Him to death: and the third day He shall rise again. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken."   
     Had they not just before proclaimed everywhere, "The kingdom of heaven is at hand"? Had not Christ Himself promised that many should sit down with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of God? Had He not promised to all who had left aught for His sake a hundredfold in this life, and a part in His kingdom? And had He not given to the twelve the special promise of positions of high honor in His kingdom,--to sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel? Even now He had said that all things written in the prophets concerning Him should be fulfilled. And had not the prophets foretold the glory of the Messiah's reign? In the light of these thoughts, His words in regard to betrayal, persecution, and death seemed vague and shadowy. Whatever difficulties might intervene, they believed that the kingdom was soon to be established. 
     John, the son of Zebedee, had been one of the first two disciples who had followed Jesus. He and his brother James had been among the first group who had left all for His service. Gladly they had forsaken home and friends that they might be with Him; they had walked and talked with Him; they had been with Him in the privacy of the home, and in the public assemblies. He had quieted their fears, delivered them from danger, relieved their sufferings, comforted their grief, and with patience and tenderness had taught them, till their hearts seemed linked with His, and in the ardor of their love they longed to be nearest to Him in His kingdom. At every possible opportunity, John took his place next the Saviour, and James longed to be honored with as close connection with Him. 
     Their mother was a follower of Christ, and had ministered to Him freely of her substance. With a mother's love and ambition for her sons, she coveted for them the most honored place in the new kingdom. For this she encouraged them to make request.   
     Together the mother and her sons came to Jesus, asking that He would grant a petition on which their hearts were set.  {DA 548.3} 
     "What would ye that I should do for you?" He questioned.   
     The mother answered, "Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on Thy right hand, and the other on the left, in Thy kingdom."
     Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify. He said, "Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" They recall His mysterious words, pointing to trial and suffering, yet answer confidently, "We are able." They would count it highest honor to prove their loyalty by sharing all that is to befall their Lord.   
     "Ye shall drink indeed of My cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with," He said; before Him a cross instead of a throne, two malefactors His companions at His right hand and His left. John and James were to share with their Master in suffering; the one, first of the brethren to perish with the sword; the other, longest of all to endure toil, and reproach, and persecution.   
     "But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. 
     Long afterward, when the disciple had been brought into sympathy with Christ through the fellowship of His sufferings, the Lord revealed to John what is the condition of nearness in His kingdom. "To him that overcometh," Christ said, "will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne." "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, . . . and I will write upon him My new name." Revelation 3:21, 12. So Paul the apostle wrote, "I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day." 2 Timothy 4:6-8.   
     The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, "For to me to live is Christ;" for his life revealed Christ to men; "and to die is gain,"--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. "Christ shall be magnified in my body," he said, "whether it be by life or by death." Philippians 1:21, 20.   
     When the ten heard of the request of James and John, they were much displeased. The highest place in the kingdom was just what every one of them was seeking for himself, and they were angry that the two disciples had gained a seeming advantage over them. 
     Again the strife as to which should be greatest seemed about to be renewed, when Jesus, calling them to Him, said to the indignant disciples, "Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you." 
     In the kingdoms of the world, position meant self-aggrandizement. The people were supposed to exist for the benefit of the ruling classes. Influence, wealth, education, were so many means of gaining control of the masses for the use of the leaders. The higher classes were to think, decide, enjoy, and rule; the lower were to obey and serve. Religion, like all things else, was a matter of authority. The people were expected to believe and practice as their superiors directed. The right of man as man, to think and act for himself, was wholly unrecognized. 
     Christ was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, "All things are for your sakes." 2 Corinthians 4:15.   
     "The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.   
     The words of Paul reveal the true dignity and honor of the Christian life: "Though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all," "not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved." 1 Corinthians 9:19; 10:33.   
     In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity.   
     The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, "This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another." "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16. 
     This was the spirit that pervaded the early church. After the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, "the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that aught of the things which he possessed was his own." "Neither was there any among them that lacked." "And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all." Acts 4:32, 34, 33.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
Re: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 06:29:56 AM »
Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify.

Yet another example how of Jesus deals with us when we are in error and since He is our example we should follow.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 07:06:33 AM »
Amen, Jim.  Jesus knew they did not at that moment love Him with the whole heart, but He knew the love they had for Him was sincere and a result of grace. It was their unbelief that marred their desire to love Him more fully. There is no greater sin than unbelief. We are transformed by grace. What did Jesus do to transform these men, to  bring them to the point of conversion, once again?

We too, are to love as Jesus loves. When we see others loving Jesus, but falling short of loving Him supremely, we ought to look on the positive side. They are getting closer to the goal, the Gift of eternal life. The deceptions are great and stand in the way of many who like Saul before he was converted strove to keep the law to honor God, but his love was not strong enough to overcome the sin within. He needed to know Jesus personally as Lord and Savior. When he got to the point he was willing to do anything to gain the victory over sin, Jesus revealed Himself to Saul on the road to Damascus. God knows just how to lead us to Him. He is drawing the world to Himself, and we all would be saved if we did not resist His love.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:11:01 AM »
Amen, Richard!

It is not our love for Christ as much as it is His love abiding in the new heart (and all the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life of the disciple who lives by faith upon Christ--not one will be missing)! May we today drink deeply of Christ's love as we behold His loveliness--He changes our hearts as we yield to Him a full surrender!

The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, "For to me to live is Christ;" for his life revealed Christ to men; "and to die is gain,"--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. "Christ shall be magnified in my body," he said, "whether it be by life or by death." Philippians 1:21, 20.   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »
Amen!  Christ's disciples had serious problems they did not clearly discern. Problems dealing with their character, with self. One of the reasons was they had been deceived about the nature of Christ's mission. They could not understand Jesus was born to suffer and die. They thought He was going to rule from an earthly throne. They did not understand the foundation of our faith. Thus, they did not see their need of a Savior. Yet, they loved Jesus, and at times with the whole heart. But, they wandered in and out of a converted state.

In today's reading we can gain much that will help us better understand the gospel of grace. The disciples wanted to sit on the right and left hand of Jesus in the new kingdom. They wanted the highest place. This reveals selfishness, a lack of a complete surrender of self. The last night before the crucifixion, none of them were in a converted state until Jesus washed their feet. They were again vying for the highest place. Is that our condition today? If so, we need to be converted. We need to have our feet washed that we might wash the feet of others.

When the ten heard of the request of James and John, they were much displeased. The highest place in the kingdom was just what every one of them was seeking for himself, and they were angry that the two disciples had gained a seeming advantage over them.
     Again the strife as to which should be greatest seemed about to be renewed, when Jesus, calling them to Him, said to the indignant disciples, "Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you."

What are we seeking? The things of this world, or a change in character? The change in character comes when we make a full surrender to Jesus. Then self is kept under, as long as we remain fully surrendered, as long as Christ has possession of the mind and heart.

In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Don't be deceived by the false gospels. When the thief on the cross surrendered to Jesus on the cross, he had obtained both the crown and the throne. Why? Because He had given his whole heart to Christ. He had seen the King and loved him with all he had. This we may do today if we will come to Jesus just as we are and give Him our all, holding nothing back.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »
Amen, Richard. I appreciate the connection with the thief on the cross--that man was a new creature, and he was so because Christ had full possession of his heart. And yet the disciples who had walked and talked with Jesus for over three years were often found outside of a full surrender to Him (true conversion) because they allowed selfish ideas of "greatness" to cloud their minds, and seemed unable to comprehend the very words of Jesus relative to His impending suffering and death. May we learn from this our continual need of Jesus--not to depend upon what we think we know, but to come to Him to learn of Him and the selfless way of His kingdom. I am so thankful that Jesus has the power to transform our characters when we yield entirely to Him by the working of His Spirit upon our hearts.

"But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ.  {DA 549.1}

Self-conquest was not what the disciples desired when they were not entirely surrendered. They were instead desiring the conquest of position and authority. But I praise the Lord that Jesus does more than teach us, He lives the example:

"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.  {DA 550.4}

How are we to obey? By beholding the loveliness of Jesus, by spending a wonderful "thoughtful hour" contemplating His life and sacrifice, and by surrendering our hearts entirely to Him. Then Christ works in and through us to will and to do of His good (selfless) pleasure as all the fruits of the Spirit are revealed in this converted experience, and not one will be missing. Praise the Lord!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:32:55 AM »
I love how Jesus gives us a true conception of His kingdom and HIs principles. He does not leave us in doubt as to what constitutes preparation for His heavenly kingdom, and we need to abide in Christ and let Him work through us in order to reflect Him aright:

"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.  

Not all are called to pastors, but all of us have a role of shepherding in the sphere entrusted to us. The father is priest of his home, and is to shepherd the family under his care to heaven. The mother is to shepherd her young ones to love Jesus and learn to love and trust Him because they learn to love and trust her. The members of the church, though not all called to pastoral ministry, are to follow the example of Jesus, and they can be as shepherds to the souls in their workplace, their neighborhood, and wherever there are souls around them in need. To shepherd is not to seek glory for oneself, but to minister to others' needs that their confidence and trust is awakened, and then the heart is prepared to receive spiritual things.

I was at prayer meeting this last Tuesday, and the elder mentioned that the work is going forward with many accessions to the Seventh-day Adventist Church in areas where there are great needs being provided, such as a village being given a well. Then I thought about how even in North America, we need to find ways to minister to people's needs. The health message is the right arm of the gospel. People are dying from lifestyle illnesses, and from food that is contaminated with disease. We need to find ways to help people learn how to be well, and do so from a genuine love for their souls. They will see that we truly care, and their interest in spiritual things can be awakened. Let us follow Jesus example of ministry, who spent more time healing than teaching. Then there will be greater success in the gospel work, and more souls truly converted. A healed mind and body is much more receptive to the truth as it is in Jesus!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:53:52 AM »
Amen, pastor Sean.  And, that same ministry is needed in the church. Many were buried alive. How do we win them to Christ? There are just as many in the church getting divorced as in the world. There are many in the church with diabetes and heart disease. We may do as did Jesus by revealing their health is to a great degree in their own hands. If they will modify their diet and get exercise in the open air, God will bless them. And, if we will love them enough to help them, they will appreciate our care and then we may talk about Jesus and our continual need of Him in our hearts. The health message in indeed the "right arm" of the gospel message.

Today's reading has much in it. I was impressed with the ignorance of the disciples as to their own condition. We see today they were still wanting to be the top ones, rather than being servants. We also see what many do not see in the Book of Job. It is suffering that builds the character that will determine our position in heaven.

"But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ.
     Long afterward, when the disciple had been brought into sympathy with Christ through the fellowship of His sufferings, the Lord revealed to John what is the condition of nearness in His kingdom. "To him that overcometh," Christ said, "will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne." "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, . . . and I will write upon him My new name." Revelation 3:21, 12. So Paul the apostle wrote, "I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day." 2 Timothy 4:6-8.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 05:51:30 AM »
God's love provides us the freedom of conscience. When we realize His love, that constraint is the highest sense of guidance and nobility--and we need have no thought as to our station in comparison to others. Our only desire when we are beholding the loveliness of Jesus and surrendering continually to Him is that we may more fully reflect Him, and draw others to Him. We shall rejoice in our sufferings for His sake!

In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity.   

What love! What joy! To be free in Christ means to let Him guide us in His will! Thus, we are truly free to love God supremely and our neighbor as ourselves when we have spent this blessed "thoughtful hour" with Jesus!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 06:53:08 AM »
Pastor Sean, I have this portion highlighted in my DA. Christ gives us the room and freedom to make choices and so should we do this for others even as we see people make what seems obvious to us as very wrong choices and turns in their lives.

Something else has stood out to me this morning as I watch the events happening in our country.

Christ was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, "All things are for your sakes." 2 Corinthians 4:15.   

Long gone are men who like our founding fathers really considered themselves public servants and our nation is suffering accordingly. As much as this applies to our leadership in the country so much more does it apply to the leadership in our church. Are you in a position of leadership in the church today? If so let us together consider more deeply the example set before in Christ.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »
Amen and amen!  Good to have you back, Jim!

We are to allow others to decide whom they will follow and what they will believe. But, there is always more than what we say or know. How do we feel about those whom we love that choose to go contrary to  the truth? How do we feel about those we love who are ignorantly walking against the truth? How do we look upon those who are our enemy who are in rebellion?  Then, what is our responsibility to each of these? May we just sit back and watch them hurt themselves and others?

No, and as we follow the example of Jesus, we will find there are many different actions that we find. There is no one answer. Each mind is different, and we do not know the motives of another. We must have wisdom from God to know just what to do and when to do it.

This we do know that  "those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock." The strong are to bear with the infirmities of the weak. 

The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 05:33:07 AM »
In the kingdoms of the world, position meant self-aggrandizement. The people were supposed to exist for the benefit of the ruling classes. Influence, wealth, education, were so many means of gaining control of the masses for the use of the leaders. The higher classes were to think, decide, enjoy, and rule; the lower were to obey and serve. Religion, like all things else, was a matter of authority. The people were expected to believe and practice as their superiors directed. The right of man as man, to think and act for himself, was wholly unrecognized.

Some day soon this will be the case again. Man telling another man how to live and believe because he thinks he knows better than his fellows. The time of trouble is not far away. A few years I was visiting another church and at potluck the topic of the time of trouble came up and some were talking about how horrible it will be. But then one lady spoke up and said she wasn't worried about that. She said she was worried whether nor not her heart and mind would take through it. She wanted to make sure she was connected to Jesus then it doesn't matter how horrible things get.

We need to make sure we are connected to Christ not just for the time of trouble but for simple day to day life. We are told that know Christ is salvation. So how can we know Christ? By reading His Word especially about His life. By thinking, by meditating on Him and His teachings we can come to know Him. Only by spending time with Him can we know Him. Then we start to become like Him and He can direct our path.

Isaiah 30:21 And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

When this happens we don't have to worry so much about the end times.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 06:25:16 AM »
Amen, Jim! While we realize the times in the end will be very trying, we learn to abide in Christ in today's trials, knowing that Jesus is preparing us for future trials. We learn where the battle really exists in our experience:

The warfare is against self--we are in a battle of "self-conquest"--and only in Christ may we have victory! Victory so full and complete that we may have perfect peace in every trial, and have all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Such a character conquest is that which Christ has wrought for us in His sufferings, and by beholding Him we learn IN EXPERIENCE how to follow in His steps, abiding, growing, and blessing others with selfless motives because Christ reigns on the throne of the heart!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »
Amen, my dear brothers!  If we learn to walk with the foot soldiers through an abiding Christ, we shall be able to run with  the chariots when the day comes, for we will have learned of our continual need of Jesus. We shall not be tempted beyond what we can  bear. What a promise!

"Long afterward, when the disciple had been brought into sympathy with Christ through the fellowship of His sufferings, the Lord revealed to John what is the condition of nearness in His kingdom. 'To him that overcometh,' Christ said, 'will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne.'"

The character we develop today is the character that will enable us to run with the chariots and enter heaven. It does not earn us heaven, it is the fruit of a full surrender to the will to God.

Jim, your quote about man thinking for himself brought back the thought of how America was so different form Europe and other nations. We have (had) liberty of conscience. The constitution protected this. But, that day is fast receding. There is a race to see who can gain the power over their fellow man.  The end is near. Soon we shall by God's grace be in a better world.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 03:49:42 AM »
Jesus invites us to follow Him by surrendering fully to Him. When we have drunk deeply of His self-sacrificing love so that selfishness is eradicated in our lives (that is, when we are truly converted), we will find all of the fruits of the Spirit revealed in our character building experience, with a deep longing for the souls around us to also come into intimacy with Christ through that selfless love!

"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.   {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 4}

Truly, "there is no work more blessed of God than that of the gospel minister" {CH 558.1} Praise God for the blessing of ministry!! May we come into deeper fellowship with Christ today to win souls to Him!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 06:19:50 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! It is the "law of the new kingdom!"  It is always better to given than to receive.

I especially was impressed with how Jesus knew just how to deal with each individual. It is a blessing to received wisdom from God to know how to do likewise. Some need a stern rebuke, others do not, they need to see love. Thus saith the Lord "And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh." Jude verses 22, 23. Fire and brimstone has its place.

Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 05:52:23 AM »

Again Christ shows that His Kingdom is not of this world and it's values are polar opposites. In His kingdom service and humility makes one great while this world will crush those who are perceived as weak and honor those who through ambition rise to power and influence over others. True influence is influence of the heart where compassion and tolerance for the weak, wounded, and erring reigns.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 06:01:50 AM »
Amen, Jim! When Jesus has ALL of the heart, we will not seek the highest place, but to serve as Jesus leads us moment-by-moment revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. What a joy it is to commune with Christ and to be able to see His character and kingdom--a kingdom based on unselfish love seeking the benefit of others, that they may be saved!

The words of Paul reveal the true dignity and honor of the Christian life: "Though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all," "not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved." 1 Corinthians 9:19; 10:33.   {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraphs 4-5}

I was deeply moved by those words: "not seeking mine own profit" as it truly makes so much more sense to live as Jesus did when we trust that He will provide for all our needs. We can trust the hand of the Infinite who took our flesh and died our sacrifice on the Cross of Calvary! Hallelujah!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
Amen and amen!  Jesus did not call us to authority but to service. We have touched on this in a recent lesson. There is authority in the church, but those who are truly converted see their responsibility, not their authority over others. How many labor with others understanding the strong ar to bear the infirmities of the weak? Few.  If we did, then we would understand if we think we are so right, then we must see ourselves having great responsibility to bear with other whom we think is so weak.  How long will we bear with the weak one?

When we make a full surrender to Jesus, we are new creatures. We love others as He loves us. We live to bless others. As we experience this new life, we gain an experience in the things of God. As we get to know God and His character better, we become more and more like Him. We are better able to withstand greater temptations.

At the end of time, just before Jesus returns, those living after probation closes will be able to tempted by Satan in a way similar to how Job was tried. This character is the result of the grace received and the character developed through Christ. We know there will be different positions in heaven, even as there are now. How will these positions be filled? It will not be by favoritism, or by our good works.

In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. 

We are today gaining an experience that will fit us for our position in heaven, if we are abiding in Christ. Such a thought!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 05:23:06 AM »
The time of the Passover was drawing near, and again Jesus turned toward Jerusalem. In His heart was the peace of perfect oneness with the Father's will, and with eager steps He pressed on toward the place of sacrifice. But a sense of mystery, of doubt and fear, fell upon the disciples. The Saviour "went before them: and they were amazed; and as they followed, they were afraid."

Here we have our Perfect Example of having peace even though He was headed toward the place of sacrifice. Peace, because He knew He was doing the will of the Father. So it can be with us. No, we can't always see what's around life's corner but we can have the peace that the world doesn't understand. Peace, from knowing your good standing with God. Do you have this peace?