Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--58--Lazarus, Come Forth  (Read 16228 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--58--Lazarus, Come Forth
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine. We serve a God that not only loves us, but has omnipotent power. We understand that God answers our prayers in the very best way He can. We are not to doubt this, but we are to make sure we are walking in the light. And, then we know the answer will come in His time.

In today's reading we find the key to having our prayers answered.

In all that He did, Christ was co-operating with His Father. Ever He had been careful to make it evident that He did not work independently; it was by faith and prayer that He wrought His miracles. Christ desired all to know His relationship with His Father. "Father," He said, "I thank Thee that Thou hast heard Me. And I knew that Thou hearest Me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that Thou hast sent Me." Here the disciples and the people were to be given the most convincing evidence in regard to the relationship existing between Christ and God. They were to be shown that Christ's claim was not a deception.   

After we are converted we are left here in this dark world, to be His witnesses. When we co-operate with Jesus as He did with His Father, the glory is to go to God. The people are to know it is through Christ that we live and breathe. And when we work with Jesus, the world will be given convincing evidence there is a God in heaven.

There is a stir in the silent tomb, and he who was dead stands at the door of the sepulcher. His movements are impeded by the graveclothes in which he was laid away, and Christ says to the astonished spectators, "Loose him, and let him go." Again they are shown that the human worker is to co-operate with God. Humanity is to work for humanity. Lazarus is set free, and stands before the company, not as one emaciated from disease, and with feeble, tottering limbs, but as a man in the prime of life, and in the vigor of a noble manhood. His eyes beam with intelligence and with love for his Saviour.

And what if we are not walking in the light? If we regard iniquity in our heart, God will not hear our prayers. But, if we know the character of our God, we shall not turn away from our only hope. Jesus loves us and gave Himself for us. We still have a Mediator that is calling us to Himself. Will He yet answer our prayers?

Let us place ourselves in the line of co-operation with God, making it possible for Him to answer our prayers. He has issued His promissory notes, declaring, “A new heart will I give you.” He says that He will be found of those who seek Him with the whole heart. When you lose your hold on Him, and fail of receiving the fulfilment of the promise, the bank of heaven has not failed; you have broken your covenant with God. He can not fulfil His promises while you refuse to let Him take away your transgressions, because you suppose that by disobeying Him, you have placed yourself beyond help. The Lord says, “Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me.” Then cease to worry over the troubles that you so often bring upon your selves; come like a penitent child to Jesus, confessing your sins. “Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.”  Signs of the Times, March 16, 1904.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »
As we read this chapter, it should help us understand why our prayers are not always answered the way we feel they should be. There is a reason and a purpose in everything God does, for it is to bring glory to Him and to benefit His followers. In every challenge we face we are being tested to see if we will turn to Him for help or end up in unbelief that He is willing or even cares enough to help us.

I really appreciated this thought you shared, Dorine. The trials are not the problem we most need be concerned about--it is whether we are willing to continue to trust Jesus and walk by faith, knowing that He works all things together for good to those who love Him, that His name may be glorified.

I also, Richard, was impressed by the paragraph you shared:

"There is a stir in the silent tomb, and he who was dead stands at the door of the sepulcher. His movements are impeded by the graveclothes in which he was laid away, and Christ says to the astonished spectators, 'Loose him, and let him go.' Again they are shown that the human worker is to co-operate with God. Humanity is to work for humanity. Lazarus is set free, and stands before the company, not as one emaciated from disease, and with feeble, tottering limbs, but as a man in the prime of life, and in the vigor of a noble manhood. His eyes beam with intelligence and with love for his Saviour. He casts himself in adoration at the feet of Jesus."  {The Desire of Ages, page 536, paragraph 3}

We are to cooperate with Jesus to help others. We can praise God that once we are given a new life in Christ (through the divine nature), there are still changes that need to happen--the graveclothes need to be removed. Old things are to be removed from our lives, and we are to continue to walk in faith so that the old life of death is stripped away! Only Jesus can give us newness of life, but we can praise God that as we help others the things that could impede the new life of faith can be removed, and more light and grace will be revealed that we can be more effective in sharing the goodness of God! Jesus saves--what a privilege to cooperate with Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 06:16:31 AM »
Genuine righteousness by faith beholds the loveliness of Jesus and gladly cooperates with His divine power in humanity. We lay hold of the power of God who has the power to create in us a clean heart and a new mind, even "the mind of Christ" (Philippians 2:5). But we do not expect God to do this without our effort. We are saved by grace. But it takes effort to get up out of bed at 3am (but if you love Jesus, it is easy to wake up when He calls you--whether it is that time, 4am, or 5am--because you LOVE to be with Him!!), to spend time in prayer, and to spend a "thoughtful hour" upon the life of Jesus. But this is how grace works in us. We cooperate with God because He gave us the capacity to pray, to read, to meditate upon His words, and to allow Christ to be in our thoughts continually, rather than to allow the mind to wander at random on any and every subject. We can overcome even as Christ overcame. How? By going through sufferings that teach us not to depend upon our feelings, but upon God's character and the revelation of His loveliness of character as revealed in His word. I love Jesus, and I pray that you will allow this love to do in you what we would expect in those who are in love with one another--that you will pursue Jesus with incredible ardor and devotion because He is seeking you with even greater love and intensity! We love because He first loved us!!!

"'Take ye away the stone.' Christ could have commanded the stone to remove, and it would have obeyed His voice. He could have bidden the angels who were close by His side to do this. At His bidding, invisible hands would have removed the stone. But it was to be taken away by human hands. Thus Christ would show that humanity is to co-operate with divinity. What human power can do divine power is not summoned to do. God does not dispense with man's aid. He strengthens him, co-operating with him as he uses the powers and capabilities given him." {The Desire of Ages, page 535, paragraph 3}

This really encouraged me this morning, and it truly does connect with righteousness by faith. God saves the soul that comes to Him, but He calls upon us to cooperate in the part He has given us. Though small, the choice to cooperate with Him is essential if we are to be saved in God's appointed way. Grace moves the heart to action, the human agent responds in glad devotion--this is God's desire for us now and ever. The evidence that we have responded and are continually in union and communion with Christ is that all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives and we are obedient to every known statute of His law, which is a law of infinite love manifest in the heart of Jesus, as promised in Psalm 40:8. This same law can be written in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who will always reveal love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance in those who are abiding in Christ, cooperating with His divine agency to be saved! Praise the Lord for the simplicity of the gospel! God has the power and grace to transform sinners into saints, and the transformation continues moment-by-moment from glory to glory, from character to character, even as by the Spirit of the Lord! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!   With all of the omnipotent power God has, He cannot save man without man's cooperation. We have free will to choose what we will do. God can force us, but He does not. Why not? Because when He does not force, man will go back to what he wants to do. That is not conversion, the conversion that chooses to do right because it is right and glorifies our God.

It was easy for God to make Adam in his perfection and holy flesh. God cannot recreate sinners without our help. And, Jesus knows just when to act for our benefit. He may allow Satan to succeed that He gets out attention. Then He will defeat the evil one if we will cooperate with Him.

Had Christ been in the sickroom, Lazarus would not have died; for Satan would have had no power over him. Death could not have aimed his dart at Lazarus in the presence of the Life-giver. Therefore Christ remained away. He suffered the enemy to exercise his power, that He might drive him back, a conquered foe. He permitted Lazarus to pass under the dominion of death; and the suffering sisters saw their brother laid in the grave. Christ knew that as they looked on the dead face of their brother their faith in their Redeemer would be severely tried. But He knew that because of the struggle through which they were now passing their faith would shine forth with far greater power. He suffered every pang of sorrow that they endured. He loved them no less because He tarried; but He knew that for them, for Lazarus, for Himself, and for His disciples, a victory was to be gained.
     "For your sakes," "to the intent ye may believe." To all who are reaching out to feel the guiding hand of God, the moment of greatest discouragement is the time when divine help is nearest. They will look back with thankfulness upon the darkest part of their way. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly," 2 Peter 2:9.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 03:14:38 AM »
You have My word. If you will believe, you shall see the glory of God. Natural impossibilities cannot prevent the work of the Omnipotent One. Skepticism and unbelief are not humility. Implicit belief in Christ's word is true humility, true self-surrender.

What a statement that hit me this morning. When we have Christ's Word nothing will stand in the way. Then He raises Lazarus from the grave. If His Word can raise the dead what else can it do for us if we truly believe.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
What an inspiring thought Jim. If Christ can raise the dead what can he do for the living?

Something struck me this morning with deeper meaning. I'm not sure I can clearly express my thoughts but here is the quote....

"Had Christ been in the sickroom, Lazarus would not have died; for Satan would have had no power over him. Death could not have aimed his dart at Lazarus in the presence of the Life-giver. Therefore Christ remained away. He suffered the enemy to exercise his power, that He might drive him back, a conquered foe. He permitted Lazarus to pass under the dominion of death; and the suffering sisters saw their brother laid in the grave. Christ knew that as they looked on the dead face of their brother their faith in their Redeemer would be severely tried. But He knew that because of the struggle through which they were now passing their faith would shine forth with far greater power. He suffered every pang of sorrow that they endured. He loved them no less because He tarried; but He knew that for them, for Lazarus, for Himself, and for His disciples, a victory was to be gained.       "For your sakes," "to the intent ye may believe." To all who are reaching out to feel the guiding hand of God, the moment of greatest discouragement is the time when divine help is nearest. They will look back with thankfulness upon the darkest part of their way. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly," 2 Peter 2:9. From every temptation and every trial He will bring them forth with firmer faith and a richer experience."   

Maybe this sunk in deeper reading it this time around because of questions in my own mind that I have at this time. But this answers them all. I am humbled in the presence of Jesus being reminded that everything He does is for our good and happiness whether it appears that way in the beginning or not.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 07:08:19 AM »
Amen, Jim! His word is the assurance of all we can ever need. Implicit reliance upon God's word is true humility--a character that reveals the glory of God. Christ's experience of character was wholly dependent upon the word, as He lived by faith. I love how He offers us His character--not just as an atonement for our sin because of His shed blood for us on the cross, but by His Spirit He promises to live in us and impart to us the divine nature--by the promises of His word!

And Amen, Dorine! All things are for our good in how God deals with us! I have come to look back with deep thankfulness for how God comforted and led me after losing my dad and mom, and how He brought me through the struggles with bipolar disorder to experience His healing power and grace in my life! I am eternally grateful that He would entrust me with the sufferings He let me go through, as the experience He gave me, and the healing He has brought in my life from grief and restoring me to full healing from bipolar only causes me more fully to know His love!

I was blessed this morning with the following insight that I had never noticed before:

"Among the most steadfast of Christ's disciples was Lazarus of Bethany. From their first meeting his faith in Christ had been strong; his love for Him was deep, and he was greatly beloved by the Saviour. It was for Lazarus that the greatest of Christ's miracles was performed. The Saviour blessed all who sought His help; He loves all the human family, but to some He is bound by peculiarly tender associations. His heart was knit by a strong bond of affection to the family at Bethany, and for one of them His most wonderful work was wrought." {The Desire of Ages, page 524, paragraph 1}

The phrase that jumped out at me was "He loves all the human family, but to some He is bound by peculiarly tender associations." Then the word "peculiarly" brought to my remembrance the word "peculiar," and the kind of character God's people are to reflect, as it comes from Jesus:

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light" (1 Peter 2:9).

As a "peculiar people" what is it that so distinguishes us from the world?

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another" (John 13:34-35).

The loveliness of Jesus is truly seen in how He loved people. Lazarus was deeply loved by Jesus, but it also shows us that Lazarus was allowed to deeply suffer (and die), and then Christ performed His greatest miracle for Him (by raising him from the dead after he was in the tomb four days). Have you been allowed to suffer? Has God so loved you that He has knit your heart to His by bonds of indissoluble union? Then if you are suffering right now like Lazarus or John the Baptist (who died alone in prison), may we remember that "fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor." {The Desire of Ages, page 224, paragraph 5}

I was encouraged to realize that God's love for us, and our reception of that love, enables Him to entrust us with a cup of suffering that endears us even closer to Christ's heart. Let us praise God that He knows what is best for us, and that because of the love of Christ, whatever we are going through right now, if we are truly converted by being fully surrendered to Christ because our hearts are renewed by beholding His loveliness of character, that He is working out in and through our lives a love story that will be to His eternal glory and our exceeding joy in Him! Praise God!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
I was blessed this morning with the following insight that I had never noticed before:

The phrase that jumped out at me was "He loves all the human family, but to some He is bound by peculiarly tender associations." Then the word "peculiarly" brought to my remembrance the word "peculiar," and the kind of character God's people are to reflect, as it comes from Jesus:

This is indeed interesting. Jesus also had a closer relationship with John the disciple. If I remember correctly we are told that is because John's heart was the most open and receptive. And Daniel was called "beloved". Oh to have soft pliable hearts like those of children.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 02:40:50 AM »
What if God made clear to you that He wanted to bless you beyond your wildest dreams? The bereaved sisters were not thinking of the possibility of Lazarus rising RIGHT AWAY, but Jesus knew the Father's timetable and He was living out the one law of His life: the Father's will. When we are surrendered fully to God, we can know that Satan may try to discourage us from seeing the fulfillment of God's plan, but we can look to Jesus and let Him reveal His glory! There is such joy in union and communion with Christ, continually cooperating with Him!

"When the Lord is about to do a work, Satan moves upon someone to object. 'Take ye away the stone,' Christ said. As far as possible, prepare the way for My work. But Martha's positive and ambitious nature asserted itself. She was unwilling that the decomposing body should be brought to view. The human heart is slow to understand Christ's words, and Martha's faith had not grasped the true meaning of His promise." {The Desire of Ages, page 535, paragraph 1}

I choose to believe Christ's words and cooperate with Him so His blessings may be realized in my life and the lives of others in His perfect time and way! God is so gracious to us!   

Dorine

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 06:42:45 AM »

"For your sakes," "to the intent ye may believe." To all who are reaching out to feel the guiding hand of God, the moment of greatest discouragement is the time when divine help is nearest. They will look back with thankfulness upon the darkest part of their way. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly," 2 Peter 2:9. From every temptation and every trial He will bring them forth with firmer faith and a richer experience.  

What a powerful promise to claim and cling to.  We may not understand God's plans but we may know with full assurance that He can be fully trusted to bring about the most favorable circumstances. Can He trust us to be His faithful witnesses as He allows trials to come our way?

"Rom. 8:28, And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

In Ministry of Healing the following comment is made connected to this verse:

"Study the history of Joseph and Daniel. The Lord did not prevent the plotting of men who sought to do them harm; but He caused all these devices to work for good to His servants who amidst trial and conflict preserved their faith and loyalty." pg. 487
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Amen, dear Sister Dorine! All things means "all" things no matter how difficult the situation. With Daniel it was the hungry lions. With his three friends it was the fiery furnace. With Joseph it was his three brothers going to kill him, then selling him into slavery, then in prison   being falsely accused of sexual immorality. But, God turned the evil into good for these faithful men and for His glory.

As Pastor Sean points out, Satan is at work to discourage and to not only bring pain and suffering on God's children, but to attempt to break our faith. We are not only told that "all" things work for our good as we abide in Christ, but we are told why God allows bad things to happen to "good" people. It not only works for our good, it also works for God's glory if we will abide in Christ.

"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 
and patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

Christ reproved Martha, but His words were spoken with the utmost gentleness. "Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?" Why should you doubt in regard to My power? Why reason in opposition to My requirements? You have My word. If you will believe, you shall see the glory of God. Natural impossibilities cannot prevent the work of the Omnipotent One. Skepticism and unbelief are not humility. Implicit belief in Christ's word is true humility, true self-surrender.   

What is humility? How is the Christian who teaches Scripture with absolute authority to be humble? "Implicit belief in Christ's word is true humility, true self-surrender."

Beacon

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
"Our Savior appreciated a quiet home and interested listeners. He longed for human tenderness, courtesy, and affection. Those who received the heavenly instruction He was always ready to impart were greatly blessed.Sorrow entered the peaceful home where Jesus had rested. Lazarus was stricken with sudden illness and before Jesus got there he died."[/b]

Have you ever wondered about the timing of some of the events in your life? Read Isaiah 41:10

"Now came the real test of faith...Why had Jesus not come immediately?  Had they not given Jesus the support that He longed for.  Did Jesus "really" love them and care about them as much as they had for Him.?... they were bitterly disappointed; but they felt the sustaining grace of Christ, and this kept them from reflecting any blame on the Savior."

[color=black]Have you ever passed through a deep valley when your faith is tested beyond what you felt capable of enduring? I felt that way when my first wife died of cancer at age 45, leaving me with two girls ages 9& 11. But I claimed His promise that He"Would never leave me nor forsake me" and after a short period of being a single parent He brought another wonderful women into my life.[/color] Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

"Christ knew that as they looked on the dead face of their brother their faith in their Redeemer would be severely tried. But He knew that because of the struggle through which they were now passing their faith would shine forth with far greater power. He suffered every pang of sorrow that they endured. He loved them no less because He tarried; but He knew that for them, for Lazarus, for Himself, and for His disciples, a victory was to be gained."

"For your sakes," "to the intent ye may believe." To all who are reaching out to feel the guiding hand of God, the moment of greatest discouragement is the time when divine help is nearest. They will look back with thankfulness upon the darkest part of their way. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly," 2 Peter 2:9. From every temptation and every trial He will bring them forth with firmer faith and a richer experience.
He purposed to give them one more evidence that He was the Restorer, the One who alone could bring life and immortality to light. This was to be an evidence that the priests could not misinterpret. This was the reason of His delay in going to Bethany. This crowning miracle, the raising of Lazarus, was to set the seal of God on His work and on His claim to divinity.

If today you find yourself struggling to believe and trust in a merciful and gracious Lord and Savior I encourage you to re-read the wonderful promises of God, like Ps. 23.  Ps. 31:24 . Call a good friend and ask them to pray with you. But Never Give Up. You may not understand why " today" but the one who calmed the angry waves on sea of Galilee loves you. He does not promise us a smooth flight through life but He does guarantee a safe landing!
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! I appreciate your testimony of how you lost your first wife, and trial that you passed through, but how God worked to bring you another godly wife. I too, faced death in my family when my father died when I was 12, and my mother died when I was 15. But through those great trials God has brought me so much closer to Him, and I am truly thankful for the great struggles through which He has let me pass, so I could have a richer and firmer faith experience with Him!

"Had Christ been in the sickroom, Lazarus would not have died; for Satan would have had no power over him. Death could not have aimed his dart at Lazarus in the presence of the Life-giver. Therefore Christ remained away. He suffered the enemy to exercise his power, that He might drive him back, a conquered foe. He permitted Lazarus to pass under the dominion of death; and the suffering sisters saw their brother laid in the grave. Christ knew that as they looked on the dead face of their brother their faith in their Redeemer would be severely tried. But He knew that because of the struggle through which they were now passing their faith would shine forth with far greater power. He suffered every pang of sorrow that they endured. He loved them no less because He tarried; but He knew that for them, for Lazarus, for Himself, and for His disciples, a victory was to be gained." {The Desire of Ages, page 528, paragraph 2}

The struggles God allows in our lives are actually some of the greatest blessings! Choosing by faith to look unto Jesus and remember how He has led us and others can encourage us for the rest of the journey toward heaven!   

Marelis

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 03:40:13 AM »
I was very touched by both of your stories, Br Beacon and Pr Brizendine. Thank you. The enemy hurls so much sadness in our paths but He who sees the beginning to the end, that Glorious Intruder whom Joni Eareckson Tada knew as her saviour and friend, works all things together for good for His people. And His timing is ever impeccable.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 06:40:05 AM »
Amen, Sister Marelis. Good to see your post here in Desire of Ages! What a blessing to have such powerful truth revealed in this most beautiful revelation of the character of our God.

All things work together for the good of all who love Jesus supremely. He does indeed know the end from the beginning. While Mary and Martha did not understand the plans Jesus had for their brother, His wisdom was later seen when He raised their brother from the grave. What a God we serve!

In delaying to come to Lazarus, Christ had a purpose of mercy toward those who had not received Him. He tarried, that by raising Lazarus from the dead He might give to His stubborn, unbelieving people another evidence that He was indeed "the resurrection, and the life." He was loath to give up all hope of the people, the poor, wandering sheep of the house of Israel. His heart was breaking because of their impenitence. In His mercy He purposed to give them one more evidence that He was the Restorer, the One who alone could bring life and immortality to light. This was to be an evidence that the priests could not misinterpret. This was the reason of His delay in going to Bethany. This crowning miracle, the raising of Lazarus, was to set the seal of God on His work and on His claim to divinity. 

Christ died for the sinner. He wanted them to know this and therefore gave them one more opportunity to know who He was. Though one was raised from the grave, it did them no good. If they would not believe Moses' words, then they were fighting against God. So it is today. How many have the plain simple truth presented before them, and they reject it because it reveals their error (sin)? Many are called, but few choose to follow Christ.

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
"Christ knew that as they looked on the dead face of their brother, Lazarus, their faith in their Redeemer would be severely tried. But He knew that because of the struggle through which they were now passing their faith would shine forth with far greater power. He suffered every pang of sorrow that they endured. He loved them no less because He tarried; but He knew that for them, for Lazarus, for Himself, and for His disciples, a victory was to be gained."

Sometimes when our pathway seems the darkest it's because Jesus knows that by allowing us to walk through the deep valleys of life that we are more prone to draw the nearest to Him and thereby deepen our faith and trust in Him. Remember the words of the Psalmist David as found in Palms 23..."The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul , He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

"For your sakes," "to the intent ye may believe." To all who are reaching out to feel the guiding hand of God, the moment of greatest discouragement is the time when divine help is nearest. They will look back with thankfulness upon the darkest part of their way. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly," 2 Peter 2:9. From every temptation and every trial He will bring them forth with firmer faith and a richer experience."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 07:44:28 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  Trials bring us closer to Jesus. He knew that the family would have a stronger faith after their great trial. So it is with us. I also found it interesting that Lazarus did not just happen to get sick, but was the work of Satan. So it can be his work even today, as it was with Job.

Had Christ been in the sickroom, Lazarus would not have died; for Satan would have had no power over him. Death could not have aimed his dart at Lazarus in the presence of the Life-giver. Therefore Christ remained away. He suffered the enemy to exercise his power, that He might drive him back, a conquered foe. He permitted Lazarus to pass under the dominion of death; and the suffering sisters saw their brother laid in the grave. Christ knew that as they looked on the dead face of their brother their faith in their Redeemer would be severely tried. But He knew that because of the struggle through which they were now passing their faith would shine forth with far greater power. He suffered every pang of sorrow that they endured. He loved them no less because He tarried; but He knew that for them, for Lazarus, for Himself, and for His disciples, a victory was to be gained. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »
Amen, Brothers Beacon and Richard!

This morning I was moved by the realization that Christ's manner of working in our lives is not just for us, but it is to anchor our faith in a reality and hope that goes far beyond us. As I realize that Jesus works in our lives in a way that points us to the great hope of the resurrection, I too am thankful to know what it has been like to lose loved ones but know the living hope of Jesus who will raise the dead. That same power that raises the dead is the same power that Christ has to resurrect my heart and mind from the deadness of sin and give me a continual union and communion with Him in the divine nature--which will ever be manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"Jesus encouraged her faith, saying, 'Thy brother shall rise again.' His answer was not intended to inspire hope of an immediate change. He carried Martha's thoughts beyond the present restoration of her brother, and fixed them upon the resurrection of the just. This He did that she might see in the resurrection of Lazarus a pledge of the resurrection of all the righteous dead, and an assurance that it would be accomplished by the Saviour's power." {The Desire of Ages, page 530, paragraph 1}

As I not only believe Christ's words but internalize the joy and power of His grace, I am so happy to be able to share with others the hope and strength that I have found in Jesus! 

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »
"For your sake," "to the intent ye may believe." To all who are reaching out to feel the guiding hand of God, the moment of greatest discouragement is the time when divine help is nearest. You will look back with thankfulness upon the darkest part of your way. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly," 2 Peter 2:9. From every temptation and every trial He will bring them forth with firmer faith and a richer experience."

"Jesus purposed to give them one more evidence that He was the Restorer, the One who alone could bring life and immortality to light. This was to be an evidence that the priests could not misinterpret. This was the reason of His delay in going to Bethany. This crowning miracle, the raising of Lazarus, was to set the seal of God on His work and on His claim to divinity."

If today you find yourself struggling to believe and trust in a merciful and gracious Lord and Savior I encourage you to re-read the wonderful promises of God, like Ps. 23.  Ps. 31:24, Isaiah 40:31. Call a good friend and ask them to pray with you. But Never Give Up. You may not understand why, " today" , but the one who calmed the angry waves on sea of Galilee loves you with an everlasting love and He will not allow anything to happen to His children that isn't for their eternal good.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  How could the priests not understand who Jesus was after raising Lazarus from the grave? After killing Jesus they feared coming face to face with Jesus. In other words, they did believe Jesus was sent  of God. Yet, they would not follow God. Like Satan they would not submit to God. I too was impressed with the fact this was the "crowning miracle."

In delaying to come to Lazarus, Christ had a purpose of mercy toward those who had not received Him. He tarried, that by raising Lazarus from the dead He might give to His stubborn, unbelieving people another evidence that He was indeed "the resurrection, and the life." He was loath to give up all hope of the people, the poor, wandering sheep of the house of Israel. His heart was breaking because of their impenitence. In His mercy He purposed to give them one more evidence that He was the Restorer, the One who alone could bring life and immortality to light. This was to be an evidence that the priests could not misinterpret. This was the reason of His delay in going to Bethany. This crowning miracle, the raising of Lazarus, was to set the seal of God on His work and on His claim to divinity. 

He was trying to reach those who were plotting His death. There is another truth found in today's lesson that will help some.

Still seeking to give a true direction to her faith, Jesus declared, "I am the resurrection, and the life." In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived. "He that hath the Son hath life." 1 John 5:12.