Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--50--Among Snares  (Read 16697 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--50--Among Snares
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »
My thoughts on this chapter are running along the same lines as yours Richard.

"Many who were convinced that Jesus was the Son of God were misled by the false reasoning of the priests and rabbis. These teachers had repeated with great effect the prophecies concerning the Messiah, that He would "reign in Mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before His ancients gloriously;" that He would "have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth." Isaiah 24:23; Psalm 72:8. Then they made contemptuous comparisons between the glory here pictured and the humble appearance of Jesus. The very words of prophecy were so perverted as to sanction error. Had the people in sincerity studied the word for themselves, they would not have been misled. The sixty-first chapter of Isaiah testifies that Christ was to do the very work He did. Chapter fifty-three sets forth His rejection and sufferings in the world, and chapter fifty-nine describes the character of the priests and rabbis."

We see the same happening today. If we are sincerely studying God's word for ourselves we will know the truth and will not be deceived. Error is being circulated everywhere. We are having to face it even in our little corner of the world where we have been protected from it for so long. God's truths that we have believed and taught are being perverted. Sadly not too many are checking out what they hear and read with the bible. They are using their own wisdom and reasoning to decide what they accept and what they reject.

My prayer today is that I will always be faithful to God's word.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Amen, Richard and Dorine! May we know Jesus for ourselves, and know Him from His word!

I appreciated reading in John 8 this morning, and realizing the completeness of Christ's saving work to restore the fallen woman into the image of God--to make her a missionary for Him. We have the privilege of getting to "go and do likewise" as we share the gospel of His grace with souls who are caught in sin. In my ministry it is a privilege of being able to see Christ do these "greater miracles" of heart transformations--because that is the greatest miracle of all--a stony, unbelieving heart being made new with penitence and faith, and enabled to reveal in life all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! What a truth! What a wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord!

"This was to her the beginning of a new life, a life of purity and peace, devoted to the service of God. In the uplifting of this fallen soul, Jesus performed a greater miracle than in healing the most grievous physical disease; He cured the spiritual malady which is unto death everlasting. This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she repaid His forgiving mercy." {The Desire of Ages, page 462, paragraph 2}

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 06:00:48 AM »
"This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she repaid His forgiving mercy.   
     "In His act of pardoning this woman and encouraging her to live a better life, the character of Jesus shines forth in the beauty of perfect righteousness. While He does not palliate sin, nor lessen the sense of guilt, He seeks not to condemn, but to save. The world had for this erring woman only contempt and scorn; but Jesus speaks words of comfort and hope. The Sinless One pities the weakness of the sinner, and reaches to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounce, Jesus bids her, "Go, and sin no more.   
     It is not Christ's follower that, with averted eyes, turns from the erring, leaving them unhindered to pursue their downward course. Those who are forward in accusing others, and zealous in bringing them to justice, are often in their own lives more guilty than they. Men hate the sinner, while they love the sin. Christ hates the sin, but loves the sinner. This will be the spirit of all who follow Him. Christian love is slow to censure, quick to discern penitence, ready to forgive, to encourage, to set the wanderer in the path of holiness, and to stay his feet therein."

Such a solemn and important message. It is full of the love of Jesus and the perfect balance between justice and mercy. These are lessons we need to study carefully when we are dealing with the erring. If we would stop and think of what the Saviour has forgiven us we would do all we could to redeem those who are living in sin while not condoning in any way the sin.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 06:10:20 AM »
From 3 different paragraphs...

Many among Christ's hearers who were dwellers at Jerusalem, and who were not ignorant of the plots of the rulers against Him, felt themselves drawn to Him by an irresistible power. The conviction pressed upon them that He was the Son of God.

Among the people many believed on Him, and they said, "When Christ cometh, will He do more miracles than these which this Man hath done?" The leaders of the Pharisees, who were anxiously watching the course of events, caught the expressions of sympathy among the throng.

Many who were convinced that Jesus was the Son of God were misled by the false reasoning of the priests and rabbis.

I tried not to take these out of context but what I find interesting is that these people were convinced Jesus was the Son of God yet satan and the religious leaders were able to plant doubts and questions in their minds that still lead some of them astray. How vital it is to make sure we are connected to Jesus and to guard our minds against the doubts and suggestions of the enemy. No wonder we are coucseled to not attend meetings or go to places where error is purposely being taught. By beholding we become changed.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »
Amen Jim. And, it is the purpose of the heart that makes the difference between those who were misled and those who could discern truth. Some followed Jesus and some did not. Why?

"My teaching is not Mine," said Jesus, "but His that sent Me. If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself." John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching.   

If we would study for ourselves instead of following what others say only, we would not be so deceived. But, many spend a lot of time reading or listening to what others say instead of going directly to the Word.

Many are deceived today in the same way as were the Jews. Religious teachers read the Bible in the light of their own understanding and traditions; and the people do not search the Scriptures for themselves, and judge for themselves as to what is truth; but they yield up their judgment, and commit their souls to their leaders. The preaching and teaching of His word is one of the means that God has ordained for diffusing light; but we must bring every man's teaching to the test of Scripture. Whoever will prayerfully study the Bible, desiring to know the truth, that he may obey it, will receive divine enlightenment. He will understand the Scriptures. "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 7:17, R. V.......

If we would stop and think of what the Saviour has forgiven us we would do all we could to redeem those who are living in sin while not condoning in any way the sin.

Amen, Dorine. When we love Jesus supremely, we will seek to help even our enemies.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
Amen, Dorine, Jim, and Richard! There are beautiful rays of light emanating from our Savior's teaching and example in how He met questions about His ministry, and how He graciously pardoned the penitent woman while empowering her by His grace to find hope for a new life. When we see others around us struggling with sin, we can remember Jesus' words of grace: "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more" (John 8:11). In His countenance of pitying loveliness, in His tender dealing with souls burdened with sin, He does more than simply offer pardon, but He offers the soul a new life altogether. All that He bids us do He enables us to do in Him when we surrender fully to Him by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit, whose fruit in the life will reveal each divine trait of character in the diving nature: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, faith and temperance. Sin becomes hateful to the soul whose experience is bound up with the lovely Jesus, for through communion with God and by appreciating the loveliness of Christ's character, we delight to do His will, and abhor the thought of grieving Him out of our hearts by the commission of a known sin. We desire to bless others, and to speak the words of life to those around us.

Jesus' experience can also be ours, as evinced by the promise in 1 Peter 4:11, "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen."

Then I am reminded of the marvelous effect of Jesus' words upon the men sent to arrest Him:

"Hardened as were their hearts, they were melted by His words. While He was speaking in the temple court, they had lingered near, to catch something that might be turned against Him. But as they listened, the purpose for which they had been sent was forgotten. They stood as men entranced. Christ revealed Himself to their souls. They saw that which priests and rulers would not see,--humanity flooded with the glory of divinity. They returned, so filled with this thought, so impressed by His words, that to the inquiry, 'Why have ye not brought Him?' they could only reply, 'Never man spake like this Man.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 459, paragraph 3}

Your humanity can be flooded with Christ's divinity as you spend time with Him, surrender to Him, and let His divine nature be wrought out in you. This is a great miracle, and while we are not divine, we are to become "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4), letting Christ be glorified who so condescended to humanity to make possible our complete recovery from sin that the image of Christ may be perfectly reflected.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »
How can I ever repay Jesus for all He has done in my life? What He desires is the whole heart--the whole life. When we yield the whole heart to Him so He can create us in His image and pour forth His self-sacrificing love through us like He did with the pardoned woman in John 8, we see there are infinite possibilities for us in Christ. This is the only "repayment" He asks for--a whole surrender moment-by-moment, the homage of a sanctified will renewed by His grace.

"This was to her the beginning of a new life, a life of purity and peace, devoted to the service of God. In the uplifting of this fallen soul, Jesus performed a greater miracle than in healing the most grievous physical disease; He cured the spiritual malady which is unto death everlasting. This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she repaid His forgiving mercy." {The Desire of Ages, page 462, paragraph 2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  It is painful to realize that every time I have not done that which I ought to have or have done that which I ought not to have done, I have denied my Savior His reward for all He has suffered. I have denied Him His reward. He reads my heart and knows when self is not given over to Him.

It is interesting and helpful to know that in each chapter we are being given doctrinal instruction of the highest order. Much of the instruction has to do with what it means to be converted and how it is that we may be converted. Much also is revealed as to how Satan has worked in the past to block our conversion and how Christ works to help us be converted. It was and is heart work with Christ. All depends upon the heart. It is God's grace that works upon the heart to convert sinners in to saints. Spiritual truth is spiritually discerned.

"My teaching is not Mine," said Jesus, "but His that sent Me. If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself." John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching.   

Do we want to know the truth that we may follow it?  The change in our minds is dependent upon our knowledge of God. If we will learn of Him who gave all that we might live, we shall be transformed in character day by day. By beholding the loveliness of Jesus we will become like Him (2 Cor. 3:18). We are saved by grace, the heart is transformed by grace. It is more than a word, it is the transforming power!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
"God does not compel men to give up their unbelief. Before them are light and darkness, truth and error. It is for them to decide which they will accept. The human mind is endowed with power to discriminate between right and wrong. God designs that men shall not decide from impulse, but from weight of evidence, carefully comparing scripture with scripture. Had the Jews laid by their prejudice and compared written prophecy with the facts characterizing the life of Jesus, they would have perceived a beautiful harmony between the prophecies and their fulfillment in the life and ministry of the lowly Galilean.         

Many are deceived today in the same way as were the Jews. Religious teachers read the Bible in the light of their own understanding and traditions; and the people do not search the Scriptures for themselves, and judge for themselves as to what is truth; but they yield up their judgment, and commit their souls to their leaders. The preaching and teaching of His word is one of the means that God has ordained for diffusing light; but we must bring every man's teaching to the test of Scripture. Whoever will prayerfully study the Bible, desiring to know the truth, that he may obey it, will receive divine enlightenment. He will understand the Scriptures. "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 7:17, R. V. "

Although Richard brought these same quotes out awhile ago they impressed me once again.  This statement especially grabbed my attention. "The human mind is endowed with power to discriminate between right and wrong. God designs that men shall not decide from impulse, but from the weight of evidence, carefully comparing scripture with scripture.

God has made the way so plain that there is absolutely no excuse for any of us to be led astray. It happens because of our selfish hearts looking for the easier path to travel. More and more are joining this road because they are not heeding the counsel above. The frightening part is just how low a professed Christian can go and how cruel they can be when their hearts are unwilling to listen and believe the words of Jesus. I love to study the decorum and love that exudes from Jesus in every situation and as we stay connected to Him He will do the same for us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »
Amen, dear Sister Dorine. Knowing the truth is not enough. We need to be reminded of His grace continually in order to keep the fallen flesh under. Paul says he keeps the "body under." It is the heart that needs to drink of this "living water" continually in order to be kept fully surrendered to our Lord.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 05:20:45 AM »
Jesus looked for a moment upon the scene,--the trembling victim in her shame, the hard-faced dignitaries, devoid of even human pity.

There is a phrase that says you'll know them by their fruit and being devoid of humanity and empathy is good sign of where the heart is. I'm not saying that we should encourage the sinner in their sin but to kick someone while they are down and already wounded, to purposely rub salt in the wound is not what we are called to be like. If you read further we see Jesus handling the matter in a way that "melted" her heart so that she willingly surrendered her heart. What a merciful Savior we have!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 06:02:53 AM »
Amen, Jim! Each one present at the scene where the woman was brought before Jesus was manifesting true character--and Jesus' true character is what reached her hurting, sinful heart. In contrast, the priests and rulers were doing all they could to evade truth, which was what stood out to me this morning.

Intelligence and wisdom are not the same thing. When beings with a very high intellect and/or much available knowledge (think of Lucifer's experience in heaven, in parallel to the religious leaders in Jesus' day) allow pride to take possession of the heart, then no matter how much evidence and opportunity for knowing truth, wisdom is never experienced or realized. Christ is unto us wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption since He lived in humanity and always sought and did the Father's will. His heart was ever surrendered to what the Father desired. When we are not only aware of truth (intellect aware) but surrendered in heart (converted, receiving true wisdom), then we are enabled to walk as Jesus walked, manifesting His character to a world that needs more than information; our world needs revival and reformation that reaches to the heart!

"'My teaching is not Mine,' said Jesus, 'but His that sent Me. If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself.' John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching." {The Desire of Ages, page 455, paragraph 3}   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 09:28:19 AM »
Amen and amen!!   It was heart work with Christ and so it ought to be with all who love Him supremely.  When Adam sinned, he did not lose his intelligence. What he lost was his ability to do any good thing. He could still reason what was right and what was wrong, but he was separated from God and was evil by nature. His only hope was to understand he had a Saviour who would take possession of his heart and give him the power to do good from the heart.

What changes the heart? Grace when it is allowed in. Grace surrounds us as thick as the air we breathe. But, we must take time to see it. We must drink His blood and eat His flesh. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day doing this, for by beholding His character of grace we are transformed into His image (character).

In the paragraph Pastor Sean has quoted we see what is missing from so many who profess to believe the truth. If we are not willing to give up everything for Christ, then we will not have spiritual discernment. God will reveal the truth if we are willing to walk in it. "Its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals." We must surrender the whole heart before we shall truly understand the gospel of grace.

As Jim has pointed out, Mary was moved by the grace revealed to her by Jesus. It is what cleansed her heart and empowered her to live a pure and holy life. It is the only thing that can do the same for us. God does not give us grace for tomorrow. We must each day receive a new allotment that our hearts may be made new and we die to self as we behold Christ taking upon Himself the stripes that were ours.

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 06:02:22 AM »

"God does not compel men to give up their unbelief. Before them are light and darkness, truth and error. It is for them to decide which they will accept. The human mind is endowed with power to discriminate between right and wrong. God designs that men shall not decide from impulse, but from weight of evidence, carefully comparing scripture with scripture. Had the Jews laid by their prejudice and compared written prophecy with the facts characterizing the life of Jesus, they would have perceived a beautiful harmony between the prophecies and their fulfillment in the life and ministry of the lowly Galilean."  

If we really want to know the will of God for our lives we must come to the study of His word with a humble, contrite spirit wanting not only to know the truth but also be willing to change our lifestyle and belief to conform the will of God. The leaders of Israel were convinced that Jesus was really the Messiah but they were not willing to surrender their lives to His leadership because of the selfish personal cost involved. This is as true today for all of us as it was for them. [/u]

"Many are deceived today in the same way as were the Jews. Religious teachers read the Bible in the light of their own understanding and traditions; and the people do not search the Scriptures for themselves, and judge for themselves as to what is truth; but they yield up their judgment, and commit their souls to their leaders. The preaching and teaching of His word is one of the means that God has ordained for diffusing light; but we must bring every man's teaching to the test of Scripture. Whoever will prayerfully study the Bible, desiring to know the truth, that he may obey it, will receive divine enlightenment. He will understand the Scriptures. "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 7:17, R. V. 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »
"The woman had stood before Jesus, cowering with fear. His words, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone," had come to her as a death sentence. She dared not lift her eyes to the Saviour's face, but silently awaited her doom. In astonishment she saw her accusers depart speechless and confounded; then those words of hope fell upon her ear, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." Her heart was melted, and she cast herself at the feet of Jesus, sobbing out her grateful love, and with bitter tears confessing her sins."   

These are the most beautiful words for a sinner to hear. The result of Jesus' love for her is most precious. Some may have jumped up and run off to live life as usual but her heart melted and with tears of gratitude confessed her sins. Every time I read this story I mentally stand aside and gaze at this scene.

This is what Jesus has done for me and each time I sin I see him as He is in this story and my heart is melted too. How can we let pride and self keep us from responding as did this dear woman to such love?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 07:03:46 AM »
Praise the Lord, Dorine, for how Jesus' extends such healing love to us, so we are pardoned and transformed by His grace!

As I contemplate what it takes for us to accept truth, I am keenly aware that it is heart work, of bringing our will into harmony with God's will and gladly trusting Him against the grain of our fallen nature. What would make us choose Him? By beholding the loveliness of Jesus we are brought to see a revelation of something much better than the meager existence we can eek out for self. We are brought to see a love that is infinite in the sacrifice the Father made for us on the cross in giving His Son to die for us, and the way that Jesus freely pardoned the woman caught in adultery is a powerful portrayal of how deeply Jesus wants to save us, not destroy and condemn. The grace of God has power to change the most hardened sinner into a saint on that simple principle that by beholding we become changed. Yielding all to Him, it becomes a joy to let Him fill me with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, and to go forth to reach other souls who need the love of Christ to be revealed to them in personal ministry!

"'My teaching is not Mine,' said Jesus, 'but His that sent Me. If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself.' John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching." {The Desire of Ages, page 455, paragraph 3}   

Let us not try to find ways to get around the truth, but let us remember that in our fallen condition we do not naturally know what is best for us, and we are doing the greatest injustice and injury to our own souls when we think and act contrary to the will of God. As we yield to God's will which is high, noble, and elevating, we can rejoice that He desires to give us the most blessed experience of becoming like Him in mind and character, to go forth to give the final message of love to a world soon to perish--a message that cannot be given without our characters being transformed by His matchless love!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 07:56:47 AM »

If we really want to know the will of God for our lives we must come to the study of His word with a humble, contrite spirit wanting not only to know the truth but also be willing to change our lifestyle and belief to conform the will of God. 

Amen dear brother! There is an important and interesting truth in the quote you shared. It gives support to the fact that your statement applies to those who are not converted yet, as well as those who are. Can the unconverted understand right from wrong? Yes.

"God does not compel men to give up their unbelief. Before them are light and darkness, truth and error. It is for them to decide which they will accept. The human mind is endowed with power to discriminate between right and wrong. God designs that men shall not decide from impulse, but from weight of evidence, carefully comparing scripture with scripture. Had the Jews laid by their prejudice and compared written prophecy with the facts characterizing the life of Jesus, they would have perceived a beautiful harmony between the prophecies and their fulfillment in the life and ministry of the lowly Galilean."  

They were not converted, yet they were "endowed" with power to discriminate between right and wrong. This function of the carnal mind is called a conscience. When Adam sinned he then lost his holy flesh and had a fallen nature which was evil. This is our inheritance. But, he never lost his conscience, his ability to reason, nor his intelligence. Then what is a fallen nature? He was no longer holy. He was evil by nature and could do no good thing from the heart. All he did or thought was continually tainted by selfishness. This is a foundational truth understood by most of a Christianity. Yet, today there are those who will now argue against this truth. Genesis 3:15 is the everlasting covenant which promised Adam and us a new heart that could keep the law of God from the new heart filled with the Holy Spirit (written upon the heart). This is what Jesus meant when He told Nicodemus (a Laodicean) that he needed to be born again, for that which is born of the flesh is flesh, that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit. Ye must be born again in order to do any good thing for the right reason (unselfish). The promise given within the hearing of Adam in the Garden was a conditional promise that he would be given a hatred for sin (and Eve's children, us) if he would give his whole heart to Christ. This is what it means to be converted.

Thank you Beacon for sharing this important truth. Many will be blessed as they read your post.

Pastor Sean was impressed with the same truth that was revealed to me.

"The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals."

It is grace that saves us, grace that is allowed into the heart. The deception that surrounds what it means to be converted is more clearly revealed in today's reading.

If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself." John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching.

Does not the Bible tell us the path to heaven is steep and narrow and few will find it? That is not being taught in most churches today. So, what we read here is frightening to many in the church, therefore rejected. But, it is "truth vital to the salvation of the soul." What truth is so vital that we must understand? Our salvation "depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals."  It is true that God does not cease working for us when we sin, but neither do we have Him in the heart. He stands at the door of the heart wanting in. He will not come into until we want Him, love Him, more that the truth we will not follow.

The Bible tells us "to Him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin" no matter how little. When the Spirit reveals a truth, then we are to walk in it. If we do not, then we have refused "the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals." Some will read this and turn never more to walk with Jesus. Others will receive this truth and instead of walking away from Jesus will turn to Him. Let us be encouraged that Jesus has power and the desire to save us from ourselves. He loves us and has proved it over and over. Unconverted "men hate the sinner, while they love the sin. Christ hates the sin, but loves the sinner. This will be the spirit of all who follow Him. Christian love is slow to censure, quick to discern penitence, ready to forgive, to encourage, to set the wanderer in the path of holiness, and to stay his feet therein."

Jesus' love for us is again revealed in today's reading in how He dealt with a condemned sinner.

In His act of pardoning this woman and encouraging her to live a better life, the character of Jesus shines forth in the beauty of perfect righteousness. While He does not palliate sin, nor lessen the sense of guilt, He seeks not to condemn, but to save. The world had for this erring woman only contempt and scorn; but Jesus speaks words of comfort and hope. The Sinless One pities the weakness of the sinner, and reaches to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounce, Jesus bids her, "Go, and sin no more."   

What was it that caused the woman's heart to go out to Jesus? It was grace. Sister Dorine expresses it beatifully:

"In astonishment she saw her accusers depart speechless and confounded; then those words of hope fell upon her ear, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." Her heart was melted, and she cast herself at the feet of Jesus, sobbing out her grateful love, and with bitter tears confessing her sins."   

These are the most beautiful words for a sinner to hear. The result of Jesus' love for her is most precious. Some may have jumped up and run off to live life as usual but her heart melted and with tears of gratitude confessed her sins. Every time I read this story I mentally stand aside and gaze at this scene. This is what Jesus has done for me and each time I sin I see him as He is in this story and my heart is melted too. How can we let pride and self keep us from responding as did this dear woman to such love?

The road to heaven is steep and few will enter therein, but it is not because we cannot make it. Jesus has provided help at great expense. Our part is immeasurably small, Jesus' part is immeasurably large. It is His power that enables us to climb that steep narrow road to heaven. In the Words of Jesus "Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.

Amen! We testify that it is self that is the problem, but when fully surrendered to Christ, self is not allowed to ruin our lives. Satan's snares are of no effect even though we are surrounded by them. We are new creatures in Christ and can do all that He asks of us!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
Christ hates the sin, but loves the sinner. This will be the spirit of all who follow Him. Christian love is slow to censure, quick to discern penitence, ready to forgive, to encourage, to set the wanderer in the path of holiness, and to stay his feet therein.

We can love the sinner without encouraging the habits of sin. Let's pray for discernment when it comes to this. I believe there are going to be many 11th hour workers and they will need our encouragement.   

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »
Amen JimB....Your previous post is so encouraging and right on target...may God help us to lose "self " so that only Jesus shines out.

"On the first day of His presence at the feast, the rulers had come to Him, demanding by what authority He taught. They wished to divert attention from Him to the question of His right to teach, and thus to their own importance and authority. "My teaching is not Mine," said Jesus, "but His that sent Me."  If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself." John 7:16, 17, R. V.

Hear is a good point that we should always remember....Our presentation of the Gospel should always be grounded on a " Thus Saith the Lord." and not mere human understanding or interpretation. The Bible is called " The Sword of the Lord " and is always our best weapon of defense.

"The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals."

The most effective testimony of our love to God is not just head knowledge but "upon our willingness to renounce every sin that the Spirit of God reveals to us." If we are not willing to do this we will be just like the leaders of Israel who only pretended to be something they were not!

"Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching."

Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 07:03:10 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon! Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms the life.

Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals."