Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--46--He Was Transfigured  (Read 15758 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: The Desire of Ages--46--He Was Transfigured
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 05:37:19 AM »
But before the crown must come the cross.

I know it's only one sentence but in it is a lot of truth. That sentence was meant for Christ and we thank Him with all our hearts that He bore that cross for us! However, if you will do small Bible study and look for each time Christ mentioned the cross you will find that referred to the cross as being ours to bear. If I recall correctly Jesus in the four gospels mentions the cross on five different occasions and each He says it is ours to bear. He said... take up YOUR cross and follow me.

So we too have a cross to bear. Everyone's cross is of a different size and weight depending on our knowledge, character, and life experiences. However even this cross that we must bear is light. Christ told us that His yoke is easy and His burdens that we receive are light. If one doubts this look at the world and burdens they carry... addictions of all manners, regret, shame, guilt and no power whatsoever to free themselves from these things. As matter of fact their master (Christ's and our enemy) piles burdens upon them until they are crushed to death with no hope of tomorrow being better.

So if you haven't yet exchanged your burdens for Christ's burdens I encourage you to do so and see for yourself if they light or not. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 06:13:55 AM »
Amen, Jim.  It is an impossible task to take the cross by choice......until we understand God's love for us. The disciples wanted to be friends of Jesus who would be king upon an earthly throne. When they figured out that Jesus was not going to be a king on an earthly throne, some left Him never more to return. Judas was one of them.

But, when like His faithful followers, we love Jesus with the whole heart, we will gladly bear our cross. Because we shall enter heaven? In the beginning that may be our motive, but when we know Jesus as is our privilege to know Him, we shall glory in our tribulation because it brings honor and glory to Him who gave all that we might live.

When we understand that our trials (our cross) not only honor God, but work for our good, why would we not willingly bear the cross? It is ignorance of who God is and what He has done for us that keeps us apart from Jesus. We must learn of Him, then our faith which in the beginning is as small as a mustard seed will grow into a faith that trusts Jesus with all we are and all we have. He who healed the sick and raised the dead will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear IF we will allow Him to have total control of the life.

There are times when we ask for something that Jesus does not give to us. But, if we know His character, we will understand that He answers our prayers, if we abide in Him, the very best way He can. We see an example of this in today's reading. Moses asked to go into the promised land, but was denied the opportunity because of his great sin. It was have sent the wrong message to Israel and us today if he did not suffer on account of his sin. He represented God to the people, and by sinning, he brought reproach upon God and the message of victory over sin. But, Moses repented of this great sin. God could have translated him, but instead answered his prayer in another way. Instead of allowing Moses to lead Israel into the promised land, He raised him from the grave and took him to the real Promised Land.

Upon Mount Pisgah fifteen centuries before, Moses had stood gazing upon the Land of Promise. But because of his sin at Meribah, it was not for him to enter there. Not for him was the joy of leading the host of Israel into the inheritance of their fathers. His agonized entreaty, "I pray Thee, let me go over, and see the good land that is beyond Jordan, that goodly mountain, and Lebanon" (Deuteronomy 3:25), was refused. The hope that for forty years had lighted up the darkness of the desert wanderings must be denied. A wilderness grave was the goal of those years of toil and heart-burdening care. But He who is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20), had in this measure answered His servant's prayer. Moses passed under the dominion of death, but he was not to remain in the tomb. Christ Himself called him forth to life. Satan the tempter had claimed the body of Moses because of his sin; but Christ the Saviour brought him forth from the grave. Jude 9. 

What a God we serve!! His desire for us that we turn from sin and be a witness in the great controversy between good and evil. He loves us and gave Himself for us. What seems at first to be impossible, to pick up the cross, turns out to be a great blessing. When we trust Jesus for the blessing, it will come in a most astounding manner. We who have given the whole heart to Jesus can testify to this truth. Join with us in praising His holy name!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 06:50:26 AM »
Thank you Jim for those words of encouragement. Many professed Christians in the church are looking for a world of peace here and now just as the disciples were looking for Jesus to set up His kingdom on earth at any moment. They have no idea what the cross of Christ is all about.

"But before the crown must come the cross."

This is to be our experience too. Although we are to have peace in our hearts that comes from abiding in Christ we will be faced with hatred and persecution because of our love for Christ and His truth. Jesus didn't come to bring peace in the world but a sword. A sword that will cut deep into the depths of our souls to bring conviction of sin. Are we listening to Him? do we believe Him? are we following in His footsteps?

The story in this chapter is another revelation of the divinity of Christ.

"They were "eyewitnesses of His majesty" (2 Peter 1:16), and they realized that Jesus was indeed the Messiah, to whom patriarchs and prophets had witnessed, and that He was recognized as such by the heavenly universe."

This event that the disciples witnessed would be stamped on their minds forever. And it is recorded for our benefit as well.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 09:03:10 AM »
Amen, remnant family! I appreciate what each of you--Jim, Richard, and Doreen have shared! We edify one another as we behold the loveliness of Jesus and speak of the lessons He is teaching us!

"But before the crown must come the cross. Not the inauguration of Christ as king, but the decease to be accomplished at Jerusalem, is the subject of their conference with Jesus. Bearing the weakness of humanity, and burdened with its sorrow and sin, Jesus walked alone in the midst of men. As the darkness of the coming trial pressed upon Him, He was in loneliness of spirit, in a world that knew Him not. Even His loved disciples, absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes, had not comprehended the mystery of His mission. He had dwelt amid the love and fellowship of heaven; but in the world that He had created, He was in solitude. Now heaven had sent its messengers to Jesus; not angels, but men who had endured suffering and sorrow, and who could sympathize with the Saviour in the trial of His earthly life. Moses and Elijah had been colaborers with Christ. They had shared His longing for the salvation of men. Moses had pleaded for Israel: 'Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written.' Exodus 32:32. Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair. These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview."  {The Desire of Ages, page 422, paragraph 2}

The fact that the conversation between Moses, Elijah, and Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration was about how Christ was to make salvation available to all who would come to Him (by dying on the cross) tells me that it would be well for us to dwell upon Christ's sacrifice for us, to realize what our salvation has cost, and then, encouraged by beholding His love, go forth to share with others!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 05:07:45 AM »
By beholding Christ we are strengthened. As we behold Christ, we see how great a cost He paid for our redemption, that He truly is our divine-human Savior, and that He has the power to transform our characters into His image, to restore us to God's plan for humanity in Him. A full-heart surrender to Christ allows Him to enter our hearts and to imbue us with His Spirit so that all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen without one missing; this is what it means to become a partaker of the divine nature! I am so thankful for Christ's transfiguration, for He is clearly more than a man, He is the Man Christ Jesus, the only being in the universe who could endure the weight of the sins of the whole world, in His humanity die for us, and rise in resurrection power to give us the promise of eternal life. What infinite love!!

"Presently Christ tells them that they are now to go no farther. Stepping a little aside from them, the Man of Sorrows pours out His supplications with strong crying and tears. He prays for strength to endure the test in behalf of humanity. He must Himself gain a fresh hold on Omnipotence, for only thus can He contemplate the future. And He pours out His heart longings for His disciples, that in the hour of the power of darkness their faith may not fail. The dew is heavy upon His bowed form, but He heeds it not. The shadows of night gather thickly about Him, but He regards not their gloom. So the hours pass slowly by. At first the disciples unite their prayers with His in sincere devotion; but after a time they are overcome with weariness, and, even while trying to retain their interest in the scene, they fall asleep. Jesus has told them of His sufferings; He has taken them with Him that they might unite with Him in prayer; even now He is praying for them. The Saviour has seen the gloom of His disciples, and has longed to lighten their grief by an assurance that their faith has not been in vain. Not all, even of the twelve, can receive the revelation He desires to give. Only the three who are to witness His anguish in Gethsemane have been chosen to be with Him on the mount. Now the burden of His prayer is that they may be given a manifestation of the glory He had with the Father before the world was, that His kingdom may be revealed to human eyes, and that His disciples may be strengthened to behold it. He pleads that they may witness a manifestation of His divinity that will comfort them in the hour of His supreme agony with the knowledge that He is of a surety the Son of God and that His shameful death is a part of the plan of redemption." {The Desire of Ages, page 419, paragraph 4}

Beholding Christ's divinity is a comfort to us; we are assured that we are following One who is more than human, One who is also fully divine, One whose power and grace are enough to transform sinners into saints. Praise God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 06:04:37 AM »
  "Through being overcome with sleep, the disciples heard little of what passed between Christ and the heavenly messengers. Failing to watch and pray, they had not received that which God desired to give them,--a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. They lost the blessing that might have been theirs through sharing His self-sacrifice. Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them. 
     Yet they received great light. They were assured that all heaven knew of the sin of the Jewish nation in rejecting Christ. They were given a clearer insight into the work of the Redeemer. They saw with their eyes and heard with their ears things that were beyond the comprehension of man. They were "eyewitnesses of His majesty" (2 Peter 1:16), and they realized that Jesus was indeed the Messiah, to whom patriarchs and prophets had witnessed, and that He was recognized as such by the heavenly universe."

I am filled with a sense of conviction, humility and holy awe as I read this chapter today. I see myself in these disciples and feel so ashamed. How much have I missed because I've given in to the weaknesses of humanity? But then I'm revived by the touch of Jesus as I read of His sympathy and compassion and that He truly loves me and needs me. Then I'm inspired and encouraged to face another painful day because I'm facing it with Jesus who knows from experience everything that I will be called to endure and promises me grace and strength for today.

By beholding Christ and walking with Him each day our conscience is quickened and what used to seem like nothing to be concerned about (after all we are only human) becomes ugly and truly shameful.

How blessed we are to have been given the privilege to share in this awesome experience on the mountain side.  What darkness we would be in without the bible and SOP.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »
Amen, dear Sister. Daniel included himself when praying for the sins of Israel. So we too, see our sinfulness in the light of God's glory. We are so very concerned about the rejection of Christ by many church leaders as were the disciples. We also, like them, have received knowledge that heaven knows the rejection and the rebellion by so many in the church today. We have the prophesies that predicted where we would be in the last days. We also know that revival and reformation is coming. Do we appreciate the light given? Not as we should. But, by continually learning of Jesus, we are becoming more and more steadfast in our loyalty to Him who has given all for us while we were yet sinners.

Poor Jesus came to His own and His own, even the disciples, did not understand His mission. He walked alone among men. Let us not be this way. Let us labor for those for whom He suffered and died.

The disciples are confident that Moses and Elijah have been sent to protect their Master, and to establish His authority as king.   
     But before the crown must come the cross. Not the inauguration of Christ as king, but the decease to be accomplished at Jerusalem, is the subject of their conference with Jesus. Bearing the weakness of humanity, and burdened with its sorrow and sin, Jesus walked alone in the midst of men. As the darkness of the coming trial pressed upon Him, He was in loneliness of spirit, in a world that knew Him not. Even His loved disciples, absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes, had not comprehended the mystery of His mission. He had dwelt amid the love and fellowship of heaven; but in the world that He had created, He was in solitude. Now heaven had sent its messengers to Jesus; not angels, but men who had endured suffering and sorrow, and who could sympathize with the Saviour in the trial of His earthly life. Moses and Elijah had been colaborers with Christ. They had shared His longing for the salvation of men. Moses had pleaded for Israel: "Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written." Exodus 32:32. Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair. These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview. 

He pleads that they may witness a manifestation of His divinity that will comfort them in the hour of His supreme agony with the knowledge that He is of a surety the Son of God and that His shameful death is a part of the plan of redemption.

Beholding Christ's divinity is a comfort to us; we are assured that we are following One who is more than human, One who is also fully divine, One whose power and grace are enough to transform sinners into saints. Praise God!

Amen Pastor Sean! But, we need to learn the lesson from what happened with the disciples, even though Christ prayed they would be comforted. They were not. Their faith failed them when Christ hung on the cross. They did not take to heart His Words to them. How often do we find ourselves forgetting what God has said?  :(  We have time to strengthen our minds and our character that we fail Him not. We do not want to deny Jesus His reward for all He suffered. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 03:30:15 AM »
Sleeping is not a sin. It is something we need to rejuvenate our bodies. But when we are sleeping when Jesus calls us to watch and pray, we lose much. When I go to bed at night I pray, "Lord, wake me in the morn to commune with Thee." He faithfully does it--and my simple part is just to respond to His love and awake to pray and behold Jesus' loveliness morning by morning.

The three disciples, in failing to watch and pray, lost much that would have helped them. Could it be that when we sleep through our time with Jesus we also lose the lessons He wants to give us that day? He desires us to see His exceeding glory and His exceeding sacrifice. Then, wherever we are in the spectrum of experience, we can allow the Holy Spirit to keep our minds stayed on Jesus by finding fellowship with Him, receiving moment-by-moment His grace and help to resist temptation when it comes. Let us look to Jesus continually!

"Through being overcome with sleep, the disciples heard little of what passed between Christ and the heavenly messengers. Failing to watch and pray, they had not received that which God desired to give them,--a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. They lost the blessing that might have been theirs through sharing His self-sacrifice. Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them." {The Desire of Ages, page 425, paragraph 1}

May we appreciate more all that Jesus is to us! By beholding Him we shall be changed into His likeness as we surrender fully to Him!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 05:26:29 AM »
The three disciples, in failing to watch and pray, lost much that would have helped them.

Pastor Sean, this is an important lesson for each of us. Every time I read those words in this chapter I'm reminded of the words that Christ said to His disciples when He said that He had much to say but they couldn't bear them now. Not only did they loose the blessing for themselves but for us also. The Bible has enough for us to understand how to gain salvation but what if the disciples had been watching and praying and it was recorded for us????  So it is with us when we loose a blessing we loose something that could have been shared with others for their good, correction or encouragement.

Christ has lifted burdens from mind and body of many sufferers; He has sent the thrill of life through their enfeebled frames; but He also is compassed with humanity, and with His disciples He is wearied with the ascent.

My comment may seem as though I missed the whole point of the chapter but as I was reading this morning the previous sentence touched me.  He was wearied with the ascent... The Creator of the universe, the sustainer of all life became a human and thus was subjected to becoming weary and tired. The Bible also tells us during the story of the woman at the well that He desire a cool draft of water. To me these speaks volumes of how much He was human. For us He became dependent on sleep, food, and water. We are told that it would have been almost infinite sacrifice if He came with the nature of man before the fall but He didn't! He took on our fallen nature. No wonder David exclaimed... what is man that thou art mindful of him???   What a loving Savior we have!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 07:14:30 AM »
Amen, Jim. What a God we serve!!  Many look at the nature of Christ as a battle against those whose think Jesus did not sin because He came in the nature of Adam before he fell. This does indeed need to be corrected, but the real point is missed. The do battle against those who teach we cannot overcome because of our fallen nature. This does need to be done, but again, the importance of Christ's nature is overlooked if this is all they see. It is very sad. the important aspect of the nature of Christ is what we are seeing today.

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.

Yes, to give us an example of a sinless life He will empower us to live, but what about the rest of the story? "It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations. And it does not stop there. Why do we not hear what this really means to us?

Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

What love!!!  Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! This is saving grace, and if we were to contemplate this daily, we would be empowered to live a sinless life. Such truth!!! As Pastor Sean has shared, by beholding Jesus we shall be transformed into His character. The Laodicean condition has many in the church sleeping, and thus they miss the blessing God has fore them.

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
"The Saviour's promise to the disciples was now fulfilled. Upon the mount the future kingdom of glory was represented in miniature,--Christ the King, Moses a representative of the risen saints, and Elijah of the translated ones.  ......These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview."

I can't fully comprehend the true significance of this scene. So much is encompassed in these few words but what I do understand fills me with awe, humility, assurance and promise. Not only was the Saviour to be comforted it says that you and I were included in the conversation that Jesus had with Moses and Elijah. I look forward to hearing all about it some day. May these stories help wake us up that we may realize the blessings God is longing to bestow upon each of us that we in turn may bless others.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »
What we read and learn of the life of Jesus and His disciples is to teach us the very lessons we need before Jesus comes in power and great glory. We can learn from where the disciples disbelieved or made mistakes, and then guard those areas of our lives that we will not lose the blessing that heaven desires to bestow upon us, that we may be prepared for our mission, as God is preparing a people for translation!

"Through being overcome with sleep, the disciples heard little of what passed between Christ and the heavenly messengers. Failing to watch and pray, they had not received that which God desired to give them,--a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. They lost the blessing that might have been theirs through sharing His self-sacrifice. Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them." {The Desire of Ages, page 425, paragraph 1}

There are two great things that we still need to behold in order to be ready for our mission today: "a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow." We cannot separate the two. The agony of the cross was but the assurance of the glory of His kingdom. The sacrifice is now complete, but the ministration in the heavenly sanctuary is being wrought out in our behalf as we look by faith to the place where Jesus is investigating the life records of all who have professed His name. He is about to blot out the record of sin from all who have overcome through Him, but first He needs a generation, a corporate seed, who by the faith of Jesus keep the commandments of God and are walking in Christ's victory over sin, so the times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord. Jesus is about to return, and how it will encourage Him to find those who are not sleeping at their spiritual post, but those who are learning the lessons He has for them of their continual need of His Spirit to do any good thing, and to share the light of the loveliness of Jesus with a world soon to perish. Let us arise and shine to reflect His glory--the glory of character manifest in a consistent continual conversion whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives, and not one is missing!

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 08:37:05 AM »
Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair. These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview. 

I long to have the heart of Jesus. His word is becoming more precious to me each day. Just to think that the burden of these men's conversation was for the salvation of every human being fills me with great joy. He's coming back soon for a people that is fully dedicated and surrendered to Him. I like the thought you brought out Pastor Sean that we are to learn the same lessons the disciples had to learn so that we will be prepared for the mission set before us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »
Amen!  We, like they, are to be His witnesses not only to this world, but to the watching universe. Such a thought!! Will we learn from their "unbelief"? Will we sorrow as we see the time of trouble coming upon us, or will we praise God for the privilege of suffering for His name?

Even amid their questionings they clung to the thought that some unforeseen circumstance might avert the doom which seemed to await their Lord. Thus they sorrowed and doubted, hoped and feared, for six long, gloomy days.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 03:00:38 AM »
God is so infinitely personal in His dealings with us. As we read the Bible and the beautiful inspired account of Jesus' life from The Desire of Ages about Jesus' experience to save us from sin to the uttermost, the Holy Spirit flashes light into the chambers of our soul, creating both the desire and the capacity for knowing God. I appreciate that Jesus knew it was necessary for His disciples to be with Him upon the Mount of Transfiguration to witness His divine glory. And so it is with us. We need times of spiritual illumination in the secret place with the Most High, lifting our vision higher than any earthly disappointment, hope, or aspiration--to a higher purpose and focus: Jesus only!

"But before the crown must come the cross. Not the inauguration of Christ as king, but the decease to be accomplished at Jerusalem, is the subject of their conference with Jesus. Bearing the weakness of humanity, and burdened with its sorrow and sin, Jesus walked alone in the midst of men. As the darkness of the coming trial pressed upon Him, He was in loneliness of spirit, in a world that knew Him not. Even His loved disciples, absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes, had not comprehended the mystery of His mission. He had dwelt amid the love and fellowship of heaven; but in the world that He had created, He was in solitude. Now heaven had sent its messengers to Jesus; not angels, but men who had endured suffering and sorrow, and who could sympathize with the Saviour in the trial of His earthly life. Moses and Elijah had been colaborers with Christ. They had shared His longing for the salvation of men. Moses had pleaded for Israel: 'Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written.' Exodus 32:32. Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair. These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview." {The Desire of Ages, page 422, paragraph 2}

What really spoke to me this morning was how the disciples were "absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes" did not grasp the mystery of Jesus' mission. Could it also happen to us? Could a focus on the things of our own personal lives to the neglect of the better, eternal world and the glory of Christ's kingdom cause us to lightly value the light and privileges that call us to vigorously impart what Christ has revealed to us in personal ministry? As we behold Jesus' exceedingly great loveliness of character, we can experience a new focus and direction--by receiving a transformed character in which Christ lives in us, the hope of glory, He manifests all of the fruits of His Spirit in us and will enable us to keep our attention directed in the right direction--upon Christ and His mission of suffering, so we also may count it a joy to suffer with Him and go forth to reveal the light of His character to those who are in darkness. Praise God for how much He loves us to have sent His Son to condescend to this world and adopt us into His heavenly family as by grace through faith we yield unreservedly to Him!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 05:18:10 AM »
Pastor Sean, I appreciate you pointing out the statement that you did.... "..absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes"  Then you ask the question could it be the same for us. I think we all know the answer to that question that it can and at times does, although we all know shouldn't it. Sometimes our own weaknesses and doubts cause enough distress that it's hard to look away from them. But the answer is not in our doubts and weaknesses as real as they might be. The answer is only found in Christ Jesus our redeemer, savior and friend. It's by looking to Him that we become changed and His light can then shine a light unto our path.

Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Dorine

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 06:56:55 AM »
"Upon Mount Pisgah fifteen centuries before, Moses had stood gazing upon the Land of Promise. But because of his sin at Meribah, it was not for him to enter there. Not for him was the joy of leading the host of Israel into the inheritance of their fathers. His agonized entreaty, "I pray Thee, let me go over, and see the good land that is beyond Jordan, that goodly mountain, and Lebanon" (Deuteronomy 3:25), was refused. The hope that for forty years had lighted up the darkness of the desert wanderings must be denied. A wilderness grave was the goal of those years of toil and heart-burdening care. But He who is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20), had in this measure answered His servant's prayer. Moses passed under the dominion of death, but he was not to remain in the tomb. Christ Himself called him forth to life. Satan the tempter had claimed the body of Moses because of his sin; but Christ the Saviour brought him forth from the grave. Jude 9."

This quote brought calmness to my heart this morning. When God does not answer my prayers in the manner I request it's because He has something much better for me. How grief stricken and saddened Moses must have been to not be allowed to cross over Jordan. But look where he is today and the special privilege he had of comforting Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. I want to live so close to Jesus that I will not murmur or complain or question His dealings with me. He knows what is best and I can trust Him with my whole heart.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 12:18:32 PM »

What really spoke to me this morning was how the disciples were "absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes" did not grasp the mystery of Jesus' mission. Could it also happen to us? Could a focus on the things of our own personal lives to the neglect of the better, eternal world and the glory of Christ's kingdom cause us to lightly value the light and privileges that call us to vigorously impart what Christ has revealed to us in personal ministry?

A similar thought caused me to consider how dull our minds are (humanity). God gives us evidence, He speaks to us continually, and He allowed His Son to come to this dark spot in the universe to suffer and die that we might be transformed and live eternally with Him. Yet, we are no different that the disciples who had not fallen as low as humanity is today. Peter, James, and John witnessed something they ought never forget. They saw the glory of God and they heard the Father's voice that Jesus is His Son. How dull were their minds (and ours too)? When Jesus hung on the cross, did not they forget what they had seen and heard? They did not believe Jesus to be the Son of God because He hung on the cross. Even Mary the mother of Jesus doubted Jesus to be the Messiah when He hung on the cross. This ought to cause us to be so ever careful to not forget that our Savior is the Son of God and Jesus suffered greatly that we might be saved, transformed, and blessed.

Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them.
     Yet they received great light. They were assured that all heaven knew of the sin of the Jewish nation in rejecting Christ. They were given a clearer insight into the work of the Redeemer. They saw with their eyes and heard with their ears things that were beyond the comprehension of man. They were "eyewitnesses of His majesty" (2 Peter 1:16), and they realized that Jesus was indeed the Messiah, to whom patriarchs and prophets had witnessed, and that He was recognized as such by the heavenly universe.

While they were still gazing on the scene upon the mount, "a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye Him." As they beheld the cloud of glory, brighter than that which went before the tribes of Israel in the wilderness; as they heard the voice of God speak in awful majesty that caused the mountain to tremble, the disciples fell smitten to the earth.   

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »
One cannot read this account without feeling strong empathy for Jesus....He longed for support and encouragement from His own Disciples. Alas, they were asleep. Can we begin to understand the horrible loneliness that bore down on the heart of Jesus? 

"But before the crown must come the cross. Not the inauguration of Christ as king, but the decease to be accomplished at Jerusalem, is the subject of their conference with Jesus. Bearing the weakness of humanity, and burdened with its sorrow and sin, Jesus walked alone in the midst of men. As the darkness of the coming trial pressed upon Him, He was in loneliness of spirit, in a world that knew Him not. Even His loved disciples, absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes, had not comprehended the mystery of His mission. He had dwelt amid the love and fellowship of heaven; but in the world that He had created, He was in solitude."

The comfort that this experience  provided for Jesus when Moses and Elijah came to Him demonstrates to all of us how we too can be assured that when we are called upon to stand up for Jesus , even if it were to cause us separation from all earthly ties, that heaven will supply all the reinforcement required to help us stay true and bring us safely to our eternal destination. Praise the Lord.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2019, 03:33:18 AM »
Jesus has a lot to share with us. May we be wide awake to what He wants to share with us, and let go of our own doubt, fear, and and ambitious hopes as we gaze into the glorious revelation of the loveliness of His divine-human character that offers us eternal life by His life, death, resurrection, ascension, intercession, and soon-coming promise of His return to take us to be with Him! Our part, though small, is to yield the whole heart to Him so He may purify it, continually place our will on the side of Christ, and cooperate with all His biddings--which are promises that enable us to walk even as He walked by grace through faith by becoming partakers of the divine nature, so that not one of the fruits of the Spirit will be missing in our experience! 

"But before the crown must come the cross. Not the inauguration of Christ as king, but the decease to be accomplished at Jerusalem, is the subject of their conference with Jesus. Bearing the weakness of humanity, and burdened with its sorrow and sin, Jesus walked alone in the midst of men. As the darkness of the coming trial pressed upon Him, He was in loneliness of spirit, in a world that knew Him not. Even His loved disciples, absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes, had not comprehended the mystery of His mission. He had dwelt amid the love and fellowship of heaven; but in the world that He had created, He was in solitude. Now heaven had sent its messengers to Jesus; not angels, but men who had endured suffering and sorrow, and who could sympathize with the Saviour in the trial of His earthly life. Moses and Elijah had been colaborers with Christ. They had shared His longing for the salvation of men. Moses had pleaded for Israel: 'Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written.' Exodus 32:32. Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair. These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview." {The Desire of Ages, page 422, paragraph 2}

I pray that as I contemplate Christ's character I will not miss the revelation of the mystery of His mission, but be enabled day by day to do His will in the unique sphere of service where He has placed and called me. Only through continual union and communion with Jesus are we able to live the new life--even the life of faith!