Author Topic: Insects, Bugs, & other Creepy Crawlies  (Read 1467 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Insects, Bugs, & other Creepy Crawlies
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »
I know what this only after asking someone else. Do you know what it's called? Pic was taken in Pennsylvania.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Insects, Bugs, & other Creepy Crawlies
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 03:17:16 AM »
Looks like some kind of centipede, but I'm no arthropodologist, so I don't know what kind.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
Looks like some form of millipede.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
It is a type of millipede. I don't know what the common name is but here is the scientific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apheloria_virginiensis

Glad I didn't pick it up!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:24:30 AM »
It's really different from the millipedes we have around here.  Ours are rather drab in color.  That's what fooled me.  Our centipedes have more color than the millipedes--at least the ones I've seen.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:42 PM »
These I assume will be easy to identify even if you don't actually see the bug. You can however, see the affect they leave behind.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »
lightning bugs otherwise known as fireflys.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
Yes Ed, there are what we call in this part of the midwest as lightning bugs. I'm told that other parts of the country call them fire flies. They were right on que this year. They usually show up the week before July 4th.

There is a place in the smoky mountains that they will light a whole side of a mountain as they blink in unison. I have not seen this phenomenon but I have been told by others who have seen it. They say one side of the mountain will blink on another will blink off as though it was coordinated. One day I hope to see this. But I'm told that it attracts so many visitors that park or town has to bus people in to control the crowds. With that many people I won't be in a big hurry to see it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwVVE-EGVw

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
Here is a new one. This one is a pic of the snow with the camera lens about 2 inches from the surface of the snow and the macro set about 12x. They aren't much bigger a maybe a couple grains of sand put together.  Don't forget you can click on the pic to make it bigger.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 02:59:35 AM »
How big was this imposing looking Arachnid?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 05:21:37 AM »
How big was this imposing looking Arachnid?
If you include it's legs it would almost take up your whole hand, maybe a just a little smaller.